Level 1 Coaching Badge

Are you In need of some coaching advice or do you want to share your tips and help out others?

Moderator: Moderators

Level 1 Coaching Badge

Postby TSO » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm about to start my Level 1 Badge tomorrow with Northumberland FA. Does anyone know what I should expect from them or the course? Anyone know what to take for the first night, or will it all get explained?

And does anyone know any training drills and the like that are suitable to use when you are taking or only have Level 1? I will involved with training sessions and the teams go from U8 to U12 I think, with me probably being on U9. As I'm aware, we don't get taught any drills on the course so any you know would be good in case I have to take training :shock:
TSO
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Donkey08 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:33 pm

wouldnt it have been a good idea to think of this before the day before the course begins?
Donkey08
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby TSO » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Possibly, but there's plenty of time for suggestions.I have the basic idea and I know where I'm going so it's not like it's going to be the end of the world if I don't get anything tonight.
TSO
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Fust » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:03 am

From what i can remember the course is quite physically challenging, so remember to take refreshment as well as suitable clothing/footwear.

All drills will be explained and practised before your final assessment.

Don't worry, just enjoy the course .........
Fust
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby TSO » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:10 am

That'll be the practical, which is on Saturday, so I've got a few days to prepare for that.

Tomorrow night is the theory.
TSO
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Fust » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:24 am

Interesting, your level 1 must be structured differently from the course i completed. The course i was on was a four day course 2 days of theory mixed with pactical sessions (explaining and practising the all the drills), one day of emergency aid and child safety, and the last day was final assessment.
Fust
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby G_Man » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:37 am

Where im from in scotland this is a drill Image

In scotland level 1 is mainly just taking part, any tom, d#ck or harry could do it
G_Man
Banned
Banned

Postby TSO » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks for the confidence booster!

Yeah mine's with Northumberland FA. If their treatment of referees is anything to go but, this could prove interesting!
[/b]
TSO
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby strass71 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 am

Just out of interest G. Why do you insist on correcting on issues that are not actually wrong? i.e DRILL. Terms such as that can vary as to who took you for the badges or the area in which you live. Your apparent hatred of the term boils down to personal choice rather than any relevance to its use being right or wrong so please G thats enough now.

As for the level 1 - just remember thats its purpose is to serve as an introduction to the world of coaching. Its contents are are largely skills, practices, drills, sessions (call it what you like) that amount to not much more than warm up routines. As they are clustered toghether in a relatively short space of time it would be advisable to have a reasonable level of fitness. That said it is not imperative as its more for a knowledge base. As long as you can demonstrate to your group what you would like them to do then youre in business. Remember if you were coaching a group of players it would be unrealistic to think that you would put in the same amount of physical effort as them. Case in point - does Benitez run around the training ground like a man posessed? No and neither does any other coach or even player manager. Its just not possible to do that and coach properly.
Try to relax and enjoy the experience as its really nothing worth worrying about.
strass71
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby G_Man » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:00 am

Drill is not a coaching term. Like i keep saying and will keep saying, it is a tool. Its got nothing to do with someone telling me when doing my badges that its a "drill". Not to sure why you mention that. I wonder what the spanish call coaching sessions. Coaching sessions or drills.

So no sorry i wont i will correct people if i think what they say is wrong.

Everyone has an opinion and well i am aloud mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill

Plenty different types of drills, but not coaching
G_Man
Banned
Banned

Postby strass71 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 297096.stm
G. The above is a link to bbc sports website. I picked this 1 as its obviously a creditable site as opposed to one thats created by joe public where the information may be less creditable. On this particular link you will see a professional coach from reading fc quite openely talking about football drills. Infact his title is Reading FC Academy Manager. As to the merits of the use of the term , like i said before its personal preference rather than a right or wrong. As to the question of is it a coaching term? I think you will find it most definitely is and obviously judging by the number of times ive seen it used on this very forum by people across the country it would seem that its also wide spread.
strass71
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby G_Man » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:38 am

BBC. Please they cant even get team names right. Sorry im not going to bother look. Until they can figure out the difference between Dundee and Dundee United ill let you know when i will check this website again.

Across the country you must mean England. Is why most your top coachs come to england to do there coaching badges............... i will stop there.

Yet you can find a reading academy manager who speaks of football drills and i can find links from brian kidd ex man united assistant manager.

I wont carry this on but i disagree about this 100% on some of your points that your trying to make. Again only an opinion.
G_Man
Banned
Banned

Postby TSO » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:17 am

Guys, calm it please.

Having done the first theory session, it was really good. I learned quite a bit, including that apparently when a player makes a mistake, rather than unlucky, it's 99% of the time down to bad technique or a bad decision. Take THAT own goal by Gary Neville against Croatia 2 years ago. The reason it went in was a poor decision on Neville's behalf to aim the pass on target. Had he put it off target, it would have been a corner at worst.
TSO
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Boris » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 am

Its general knowledge to not aim pass backs towards goal :lol:

G_Man and Strass, stop your feuding please.
Boris
Legend
Legend

Postby strass71 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:47 am

Boris wrote:Its general knowledge to not aim pass backs towards goal :lol:

Point noted Boris. I was merely emphasising that the term is a matter of personal choice as opposed to a right or wrong and have yet to see or hear any evidence to the contrary. Some people use it and some dont. That said, enough said im moving on LOL.
strass71
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby TSO » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:49 am

Yeah, hence it was a poor decision :lol:
TSO
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby strass71 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Would it have been a poor decision if the ball had been cleared? If you pass the ball back to your goal keeper and he takes a swipe and misses and it goes in, is that a poor decision by you or a bad mistake by the goal keeper or both. What if that was the only direction for the pass available to you because of pressure from opposing players does that still make it a poor decision?

Football is a game that is based on mistakes of varying degrees, some obviously prove more costly than others. Teams are most vunerable when they are on the attack so is it a mistake to commit men forward to attack given that the opposition are excellent going forward. People will coach not to pass the ball across your own goal. Why not? What is wrong with it if it is safe to do so? Week in week out you will see it happen in the professional game. Very often it is the end product that defines how good or poor a decision is.

Consequently football is a game that lends itself to the when, where, how factors and as such the players who are considered to be good and great will also have a better decision making capacity to add to technical ability etc.

There has to be accountability - it doesnt sit easy with me that a back pass which happens to be going in the direction of the goal and happens to go in because the keeper fluffed his clearance should be put down to a poor decision to pass the ball back goalwards.
strass71
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Boris » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 pm

Strass mate, there is never only "one choice". Even under pressure from defenders he could have played the ball off the defender for another throw in, passed even a few inches wider, attempted a clearance, called someone back to pass too while he held the ball up etc. He was playing at international level and he has alot of experience playing against bigger and better players. He should have done better. Now can we please concentrate on the topic at hand Level 1 Coaching Badge
Boris
Legend
Legend

Postby TSO » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 pm

strass71 wrote:Would it have been a poor decision if the ball had been cleared? If you pass the ball back to your goal keeper and he takes a swipe and misses and it goes in, is that a poor decision by you or a bad mistake by the goal keeper or both. What if that was the only direction for the pass available to you because of pressure from opposing players does that still make it a poor decision?
Of course there was an element of bad luck in it, because it's quite obvious that Paul Robinson would have cleared that withought the divot, so it was not 100% bad decision. Saying that though, the reason any shots go in is because they're on target (albeit after a deflection sometimes). Same goes with Neville's backpass. It went in because it was on target, simple as that.

As for limited choices, I would imagine my course tutor would say that if that we the only pass Neville could make, it would have been down to poor technique/decision on behalf of whoevers fault it was that he was in that position.
TSO
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby G_Man » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:02 am

Boris wrote:Its general knowledge to not aim pass backs towards goal :lol:

Boris are you a modertor?
G_Man
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Football Coaching