The Lionel Messi thread

This is where you can tell us all your general football views either domestic or international.

Moderators: Big Jono, Moderators

The Lionel Messi thread

Postby Benraul » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:51 pm

The reason I thought I would start this thread up is because I think it would be a good place to talk to discuss the genius of the best player in the world.

Ronaldo's 43 goals was amazing. It won him the world player of the year award. Could it be done by someone else? Messi so far has 23 goals in 24 games I believe. The way he plays I think he could be close to that tally. When Ronaldo gets on the ball United fans get excited. But when Messi gets on the ball the whole world gets excited.

So if you want to discuss the player, or if you see anything amazing from him you can always post it here if another thread does not exist to talk about it.

Did anyone see his performance last night? The pub I was in had it on. He looked fantastic once again. He is so unselfish in his play defenders cant second guess him. He glides past players. Fantastic.
User avatar
Benraul
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Postby fakeplastictrees » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:58 pm

It is terrifying how good he is. By far the best player in the world. I'm a big Ronaldo fan but he's not in the same universe as Messi. The decision making this kid has is genuis, he never gives the ball away and knows exactly when the pass, dribble or shoot. It's a pleasure to see him play football. Barcelona are currently 15 points clear in Spain, that's just insane.
User avatar
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am

Postby Benraul » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:07 pm

fakeplastictrees wrote:It is terrifying how good he is. By far the best player in the world. I'm a big Ronaldo fan but he's not in the same universe as Messi. The decision making this kid has is genuis, he never gives the ball away and knows exactly when the pass, dribble or shoot. It's a pleasure to see him play football. Barcelona are currently 15 points clear in Spain, that's just insane.


A million percent agree. He is the only player I have seen who is unstopable.

Barca have scored something like 90 this season. We are just over half way through the season. He thrives in a really hard working team. The amount of work the team does to move into space and create things is immense.
User avatar
Benraul
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Postby fakeplastictrees » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Benraul wrote:
fakeplastictrees wrote:It is terrifying how good he is. By far the best player in the world. I'm a big Ronaldo fan but he's not in the same universe as Messi. The decision making this kid has is genuis, he never gives the ball away and knows exactly when the pass, dribble or shoot. It's a pleasure to see him play football. Barcelona are currently 15 points clear in Spain, that's just insane.


A million percent agree. He is the only player I have seen who is unstopable.

Barca have scored something like 90 this season. We are just over half way through the season. He thrives in a really hard working team. The amount of work the team does to move into space and create things is immense.


Yeah he plays alongside such world class intelligent players like Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o and Henry. I'm really hoping we don't meet them in the Champions League.
User avatar
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am

Postby paddypoohead » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Messi has got 23 in 26 games, with 10 assists, Ronaldo got 42 in 49 with 8 assists. Messi truly is incredible. I played a sick joke on my brother last night, I told him Messi was out for the rest of the year and almost left him in tears. I also despise people who assume Ronaldo is better because he won world player of the year.
User avatar
paddypoohead
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 2604
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:27 am

Postby Benraul » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:27 pm

Ronaldo also had the most shots in the league, took all the penalties and free kicks.

Those roles are rotated a lot more at Barca, which makes it even more amazing.
User avatar
Benraul
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Postby Johaldo8 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:47 am

I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! :lol: In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!! :lol: :lol:

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.
User avatar
Johaldo8
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 9859
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Postby fakeplastictrees » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 am

Johaldo8 wrote:I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!! :lol: :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.


Can't disagree with that. Messi was brilliant against us. Every time he got the ball we pooped ourselves. The only thing I'd say is Ronaldinho at his peak gave him a close run. Zidane was a genuis. Even at the last world cup he was the best player in the world.
User avatar
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am

Postby Johaldo8 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 am

It's funny you mention Ronaldinho - it was him who first alerted me to Messi's genius.

When Ronaldinho was crowned World Player Of The Year a few years back, he was interviewed in World Soccer how he felt about that accolade, and his response was that he didn't feel he was the best even at his own Club - it was his way of introducing Messi to the world. Of course, I had seen a few games of Messi prior to that comment, but afterwards, I got to understand the thinking of Ronaldinho in saying that.

He was spot on.
User avatar
Johaldo8
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 9859
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Postby Sticky T » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:44 am

Johaldo8 wrote:I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! :lol: In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!! :lol: :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Btw, last season i always said Ronaldo deserved the award, because last season he was the best. No one had a season as incredible as his. I agree that Messi is better though. If Messi doesn't get injured this season, the world player of the year award will surely be going his way.
User avatar
Sticky T
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 11586
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Near LONDON Supports:Real Madrid, Liverpool

Postby Sticky T » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:51 am

fakeplastictrees wrote:
Can't disagree with that. Messi was brilliant against us. Every time he got the ball we pooped ourselves. The only thing I'd say is Ronaldinho at his peak gave him a close run. Zidane was a genuis. Even at the last world cup he was the best player in the world.


Roinaldinho came close to who? Zidane?

Some might argue in his 2005 season (i think it was that one) he reached a greater height than Zidane ever did.

I disagree that Zidane was the best player at the world cup though. I thought he was incredibly overated in that tournament. He had 2 exceptional games - other than that, was poor (a bit like Arshavin, but the difference being, Arshavin wasplaying for a much weaker team, and only played 3 games in total). Before those 2 games, Zidane was poor, got himself suspended, and there was talk that he should be dropped. And after those 2 exceptional games, he got himself sent off in the final.

I personally thought there were a dozen players more deserving of the golden ball award.
User avatar
Sticky T
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 11586
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Near LONDON Supports:Real Madrid, Liverpool

Postby Raul » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 am

fakeplastictrees wrote: Barcelona are currently 15 points clear in Spain, that's just insane.


Not that anyone cares but it's 12 points, not 15 :lol:
User avatar
Raul
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Madrid - SPAIN -

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:41 pm

Johaldo8 wrote:I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! :lol: In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!! :lol: :lol:

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.


well everyone has their own oppinion Johaldo .......to imply everyone who doesnt agree with you is an idiot and you dont respect them is extremely arrogant and also very rude ..that is basically what you are saying really . The whole point of forums like these is that we can all discuss and argue over subjects like this .......by all means give your opinion and thoughts on whatever is being discussed , but dont label everyone without even hearing what they have to say ..

Myself ....i have no reason to disgree with the opinion of Ben91 sbout Messi right now ... :wink:
Guest
 

Postby Benraul » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm

conner99 wrote:
Johaldo8 wrote:Myself ....i have no reason to disgree with the opinion of Ben91 sbout Messi right now ... :wink:


and what is Ben91's opinion on Lionel Messi Conner?
User avatar
Benraul
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Postby Johaldo8 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm

conner99 wrote:
Johaldo8 wrote:I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! :lol: In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!! :lol: :lol:

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.


well everyone has their own oppinion Johaldo .......to imply everyone who doesnt agree with you is an idiot and you dont respect them is extremely arrogant and also very rude ..that is basically what you are saying really . The whole point of forums like these is that we can all discuss and argue over subjects like this .......by all means give your opinion and thoughts on whatever is being discussed , but dont label everyone without even hearing what they have to say ..

Myself ....i have no reason to disgree with the opinion of Ben91 sbout Messi right now ... :wink:


C'est la vie.

Feel free to argue against my thoughts, Conner. I am not stopping you from having a different opinion.

But like I said, anyone who cannot see that Messi is easily the best player on the planet does not understand the game of football - and if that sounds "extremely arrogant and also very rude" then so be it. It's my opinion.
User avatar
Johaldo8
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 9859
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Benraul wrote:
conner99 wrote:
Johaldo8 wrote:Myself ....i have no reason to disgree with the opinion of Ben91 sbout Messi right now ... :wink:


and what is Ben91's opinion on Lionel Messi Conner?


oops wrong Ben ...i meant you actually .... :lol:
Guest
 

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:36 pm

Johaldo8 wrote:
conner99 wrote:
Johaldo8 wrote:I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! :lol: In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!! :lol: :lol:

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.


well everyone has their own oppinion Johaldo .......to imply everyone who doesnt agree with you is an idiot and you dont respect them is extremely arrogant and also very rude ..that is basically what you are saying really . The whole point of forums like these is that we can all discuss and argue over subjects like this .......by all means give your opinion and thoughts on whatever is being discussed , but dont label everyone without even hearing what they have to say ..

Myself ....i have no reason to disgree with the opinion of Ben91 sbout Messi right now ... :wink:


C'est la vie.

Feel free to argue against my thoughts, Conner. I am not stopping you from having a different opinion.

But like I said, anyone who cannot see that Messi is easily the best player on the planet does not understand the game of football - and if that sounds "extremely arrogant and also very rude" then so be it. It's my opinion.


ok..fair enough i suppose .... :lol: the argument in these subjects are always what has a player done this season to justify the label `best in the world` . Ronaldo obviously was in phenominal form last season .....did Messi do better than him last season .....is it just about how many goals are banged in by a player ....is it goals per game ratio ...is it how the player does overall ....or is it all fixed as many have hinted at ..
Guest
 

Postby tdv » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Clearly he is the best player on the planet right now. Not since Ronaldo in his Barca days have I seen such a amazing prospect. Theres no limit to what he could achieve.

While where at it has anyone been watching Pato of late? I think he's on a simular level that Messi was on when he was 18.
tdv
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Johaldo8 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:44 pm

I haven't seen much of Pato because Italian Football isn't shown on British TV anymore :evil: So any Italian football I see will have to be streamed.

Anyhow, I am very aware of how good Pato can be - he's an amazing talent, and I'm glad he's playing with Kaka so it helps their understanding for the Selecao.

I remember last season I was telling everyone at work that Pato is the new young superstar of world football, but then he had a relatively quiet game when Arsenal knocked them of the Champions' League last season, and the lads at work took the p1ss out of me for days because of that.

He'll prove me right in the end though, I'm sure of that.
User avatar
Johaldo8
World Class
World Class
 
Posts: 9859
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Postby tangman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Johaldo8 wrote:I said about 15 months ago that Messi was the best player in the world - I remember arguing it with J-Axe who was suggesting that Cesc could be! :lol: In fact, about a year before that, I remember O Dogg trying to argue that Rooney was better than Messi!! :lol: :lol:

No, Lionel Messi is EASILY the best player on the planet, and no one comes close. His dribbling, his passing, his shooting, his ability to ride dangerous tackles, his hunger to win the ball, his decision making...all these things make him the greatest player to grace the game of football since Zinedine Zidane - and if he carries on as he is, he'll be compared to the incomparable Pele and Maradona.

Like paddypoohead, I have no respect for anyone who wishes to argue against it, and I'll treat them with utter disdain. In my mind, they do not understand the game of football.

The only reason Ronaldo won WPOTY was because Messi was injured last season, and even then the incredible Argentine upstaged him twice in both semi final legs.

Awards are materialistic - winning the hearts and minds who truly understand football is more important, in my opinion. And that's exactly what Messi has won over the past year or so.

I remember having an arguement with a friend of mine regading ronaldo or messi,who was really better??? He kept harping on the 42 goals and the award. Fine the amt of goals ronnie scored was insane and his performance outstanding but I'm sure messi would have scored more if he had'nt been injured cause prior to the injury he was having an incredible season.So that is something I really agree with u. I just pray that Messi stays healthy and injury free . And seriously ppl do u really believe they others are better than Messi?
tangman
Grass Roots
Grass Roots
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:19 pm
Location: Bangalore,India Supports Chelsea FC

Next

Return to General Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests