Why Americans Hate Football

This section is kept just for you to discuss anything non sport related from celebrities to politics.

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Why Americans Hate Football

Postby mrtz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Hello all.

I'm writing an essay for my Rhetoric class wherein we have to over analyze something and say what it means to American culture. Naturally, I picked football and why there is a lack of importance and genuine dislike to American fans. I'm still in the process of brainstorming, but so far I've come up with a few reasons... (Task is we have to mythologize our chosen topic and come up with some absurd ideas, but back them up) I'm thinking of saying that for Americans, soccer stands for four things that Americans dislike:

a) Absence of direct big business (not much room for commercials leads to advertising agencies here in America to pull out leads to networks not showing it leads to Americans not seeing enough of it and therefore thinking that it isn't worth watching)

b) Immigrants (can be seen on the diversity of the teams. Clubs actually spend good money to get foreign talent to play fr them, whereas Americans want to see one of their own being a superstar. Immigrants therefore become a threat especially since countries like Mexico are generally better at football than the US)

c) Homosexuals (As football is mostly regarded as a "girly sport" as compared to high impact, high velocity sports like American Football and Basketball, and sports that show manliness with tobacco chewing and trash talking like Baseball. Events of "diving" in soccer does not help with the image either)

d) Initiative or lack thereof (Throughout history, Americans have been known for taking initiative and being in constant movement looking to get results in the quickest way possible. Soccer is seen as a more defensive sport and rather than sending a message of "let's make something happen," soccer is mostly seen as a sport that tries to "prevent something from happening." Also, soccer can be seen by Americans as indecisive as a match can end in a draw whereas sports like Basketball and American Football and Baseball have rules that prevent these from happening)

Again, I need to over-analyze and if some of my ideas seem far-fetched, then that's the reason why.

Any thoughts or things that could be added?[/b]
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Big Jono » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:16 pm

The already established sports such as baseball and NFL have such longstanding traditions and support thru generations that their fans will not move on even in part to another sport such as football.
Big Jono
Admin
Admin

Postby Sparkyjinx » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Like Jono says NFL, baseball, along with basketball, are seen as being American "made" - its their invention to them.
Football would be deemed foreign, so maybe not taken to heart as much?
Sparkyjinx
World Class
World Class

Postby mrtz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Exactly.. Will add that to the dislike for immigrants part. ;) cheers
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby The General » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:24 pm

I'm still amazed they call their big baseball tournament the World Series when only americans play in it.
The General
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby CFCBhoy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:26 pm

The General wrote:I'm still amazed they call their big baseball tournament the World Series when only americans play in it.

Is there no non-American players in the MLB?
CFCBhoy
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby mrtz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:33 pm

CFCBhoy wrote:
The General wrote:I'm still amazed they call their big baseball tournament the World Series when only americans play in it.

Is there no non-American players in the MLB?

There is a large number of foreign players in the MLB. Mostly from Latin America and Japan.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby The General » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:36 pm

I meant teams!
The General
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby mrtz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:37 pm

The General wrote:I meant teams!

Ah, I see. There was the World Baseball Classic (won by Japan)
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Conaldinho » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Lack of history and rivalry would be another reason Id imagine, In America clubs are run by the MLS aren't they? Similar to the rugby in the Celtic league..so Id imagine there wouldnt be a the same amount of pride for your local clubs.

As well as that clubs are hugely spread apart, one of the best things about football over here is local rivalries but I wouldnt think you'd get that as much over there with the clubs being thousands of miles apart.
Conaldinho
World Class
World Class

Postby putrum6 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:30 pm

mrtz wrote:
The General wrote:I meant teams!

Ah, I see. There was the World Baseball Classic (won by Japan)

And Cuba are very good in baseball, perhaps better than USA.
putrum6
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby yeek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:24 pm

I don't really get this. So you're supposed to come up with absurd reasons why Americans hate football?
yeek
World Class
World Class

Postby mrtz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:11 pm

Excellent point there, Conaldinho. I never thought about it like that.

yeekiat wrote:I don't really get this. So you're supposed to come up with absurd reasons why Americans hate football?

The paper is on mythology. We read some works by Roland Barthes and we have to do a similarly styled paper wherein we take what seems to be an ordinary thing and show how it affects American culture, or how American culture sees it.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby marios » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:26 pm

You can't expect a sport to become popular with males in a country where phrases like "soccer mom" have become part of the vernacular. Where the media keep projecting the idea of football as a boring sport (see The Simpsons -- remember when Homer and Bart are watching that Mexico game and the ball never leaves the midfield and the players don't even move? -- and many other sitcoms, as well as Hollywood films).

If their media had enough incentive to promote the sport i think it would gain a lot of fans. But i do agree with the reasons you mentioned.
marios
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby mrtz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:35 pm

marios wrote:You can't expect a sport to become popular with males in a country where phrases like "soccer mom" have become part of the vernacular. Where the media keep projecting the idea of football as a boring sport (see The Simpsons -- remember when Homer and Bart are watching that Mexico game and the ball never leaves the midfield and the players don't even move? -- and many other sitcoms, as well as Hollywood films).

If their media had enough incentive to promote the sport i think it would gain a lot of fans. But i do agree with the reasons you mentioned.

Excellent points there marios. I should mention the whole soccer mom thing, I didn't think of that. :)
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby yeek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:48 pm

mrtz wrote:Excellent point there, Conaldinho. I never thought about it like that.

yeekiat wrote:I don't really get this. So you're supposed to come up with absurd reasons why Americans hate football?

The paper is on mythology. We read some works by Roland Barthes and we have to do a similarly styled paper wherein we take what seems to be an ordinary thing and show how it affects American culture, or how American culture sees it.

Ah I see I think I get it now ...

Well I guess generally Americans are a patriotic lot and it might be difficult for them to come to terms with a sport that is also called 'football' in other parts of the world as it is vastly different to what the word means to them.
yeek
World Class
World Class

Postby Arthur V » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:02 pm

I think it's just culture.
Arthur V
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Ben91 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:29 pm

I had two points to make.

The first one was D) in your initial post.

The other was that American's tend to like sports involving the hand, like Baseball, American football (although it uses both), Basketball, Tennis and Ice Hockey. In football using the hand is obviously illegal and the game is played with the feet.
Ben91
World Class
World Class

Location: Warrington . . . . . . . . . Supports: Liverpool . . . . . . . . .

Postby Rc_Lens » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 pm

I think it's because they don't play football at school but American football, baseball or basketball and i don't think there are many football clubs or competitions.
Rc_Lens
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Ben91 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51 pm

What would be the closest English equivalent of football to America, do you reckon?
Ben91
World Class
World Class

Location: Warrington . . . . . . . . . Supports: Liverpool . . . . . . . . .

Next

Return to General Discussion