Rugby - Six Nations

This is the place on the forum to discuss other sports whether it be Cricket,Rugby or Formula 1.

Moderator: Moderators

Rugby - Six Nations

Postby Hams » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:40 pm

The Six Nations rugby kicks off on
Friday night with Wales taking on England at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff.

Fixtures

4 Feb, 19:45 Wales v England Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, WAL
5 Feb, 14:30 Italy v Ireland Stadio Flaminio, Rome, ITA
5 Feb, 17:00 France v Scotland Stade de France, Paris Saint-Denis, FRA
12 Feb, 14:30 England v Italy Twickenham, London, ENG
12 Feb, 17:00 Scotland v Wales Murrayfield, Edinburgh, SCO
13 Feb, 15:00 Ireland v France Aviva Stadium, Dublin, IRL
26 Feb, 14:30 Italy v Wales Stadio Flaminio, Rome, ITA
26 Feb, 17:00 England v France Twickenham, London, ENG
27 Feb, 15:00 Scotland v Ireland Murrayfield, Edinburgh, SCO
12 Mar, 14:30 Italy v France Stadio Flaminio, Rome, ITA
12 Mar, 17:00 Wales v Ireland Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, WAL
13 Mar, 15:00 England v Scotland Twickenham, London, ENG
19 Mar, 14:30 Scotland v Italy Murrayfield, Edinburgh, SCO
19 Mar, 17:00 Ireland v England Aviva Stadium, Dublin, IRL
19 Mar, 19:45 France v Wales Stade de France, Paris Saint-Denis, FRA

Please feel free to discuss any of the games and results here as the tournament progresses.

Come on England!
Last edited by Hams on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby J-Axe » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Very much looking forward to it. Might travel to Murrayfield for the Ireland game. Was at the Argie game in the Autumn Internationals and the squad looks stronger.

Just hope Ian Humphreys gets picked as he's comfortably been the best Irish fly-half this season. Sexton is average at best and often bottles it under pressure, I don't even see how he's better than O'Gara.

Anyways..

Should be a good tournament. Plenty of competition and no clear favourites. Top class sport and I've been enjoying rugby more than football this season.
J-Axe
Legend
Legend

Postby Hoop45 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:22 am

Yeah looking forward to it as always, probably international Rugby's most entertaining tournament in my opinion. Probably because I myself am English and one half of my family is Irish and the other half Welsh! Always used to provide some decent banter with the granfolks!

No favourites really this year, I think we are stronger and can certainly challenge, would it be fair to say Axe that the Irish are looking a little weaker than they have done in the recent past? Always hard to look past the French as well in this tournament.

Would expect the Jocks and the Italians to be battling for the wooden spoon as ever!

Will unfortunately be missing England's big opener with the Taffies, Reading are at home to QPR on Friday night!
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby J-Axe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:04 am

floody wrote:would it be fair to say Axe that the Irish are looking a little weaker than they have done in the recent past?

Hmm.. I don't know. Form-wise, yes we've not been overly impressive but haven't truly declined in terms of quality and potential, if anything I think we have even more potential as the more recent additions to the squad are getting more experience under their belts and we've still kept the core of the squad strong.

But fly-half for me is a bit of an issue because Sexton's not top bracket. He's inconsistent and bottles it too often. Cronin and Healy are a little overrated IMO as well. The difference is massive when Tom Court comes in and he should start, he's been monstrous for Ulster - I'll sound biased of course but I have no fears of saying Ian Humphreys must be a shoe-in for the 10 position, or at the very f'n least a place in the squad - he's been top class all season and has been outstanding in Europe. He almost single-handedly beat Biarritz in the Heine Cup a few weeks ago, a game I was at and was blown away by his overall game and consistency, his kick from his own half that won that game in the last minute should have hammered in the nail to Kidney's head to pick him.

Anyway, I think we've suffered a bit of a confidence crisis after the Grand Slam in 09 and some sketchy form, but the talent is still in there and if we go into the tournament with the right mind-frame we are certainly capable.

But as you say, the French are looking good per usual and they'll probably be my favourites. Either way it should be a cracking sporting event as it always is.
J-Axe
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Looking forward to watching the rugby tonight.

England have been made the favourites to win the Six nations this year
but Martin Johnson's team haven't won at the Millennium stadium since 2003!

Should be cracking game although we are without Lewis Moody which is a blow.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:48 am

A great start for England tonight winning 26-19 away in Wales.

The Welsh began the game well in the first 10 minutes but couldn't keep it up.

Although Chris Ashton scored 2 tries the man of the match was correctly called as Toby Flood.

I thought it was a disgrace when the Welsh fans booed Johnny Wilkinson when he came on in the second half.

As the commentator said he has achieved everything there is in rugby and didn't deserve that treatment.

England have 3 home games now at Twickenham and are in a great position to win the Six nations after this victory.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby J-Axe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:05 am

Wales started strongly but England just took to their game so well and once the first gap opened for Flood, quite easily I might say, then Wales were always under the pressure.

Excellent atmosphere BTW. Think that's a fantastic stadium.

Let's hope it's a comprehensive stuffing tomorrow when we take on Italy. :)
J-Axe
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 am

This weekends results

4 Feb, 19:45 Wales 19 - 26 England Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, WAL
5 Feb, 14:30 Italy 11 - 13 Ireland Stadio Flaminio, Rome, ITA
5 Feb, 17:00 France 34 - 21 Scotland Stade de France, Paris Saint-Denis, FRA

What happened to that stuffing that Ireland were going to give to Italy J Axe?!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hoop45 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:36 am

Today's results from the RBS Six Nations:

England 59-13 Italy
Scotland 6-24 Wales

Watched both games today, no real shocks with both going as I expected.

England started off rather poorly against the Italians at Twickenham, but grew in stature as the game progressed and finished on a massive score. Chris Ashton was in absolutely scintillating form to run in four tries for England, with fellow wing Mark Cueto, Mike Tindall, Danny Care and James Haskell also going over the line as Italy were thrashed. They really were a totally different side that ran Ireland so very close on the opening weekend, and provided virtually nothing in attack.

All in all an extremely impressive performance. Obviously it goes without saying that the quality of opponent has to be taken into consideration and we are kidding ourselves if we think the fixture with the French is going to be anywhere near as straight forward but for now England are looking strong and are certainly contenders.

The day's other game was a bit of a let down in truth, with Wales cruising to victory over a lackluster Scotland at Murrayfield. The Scots were really very poor indeed, their handling was all over the place, they were impatient and blunt in attack whilst making far too many mistakes and giving the Welsh turnover after turnover. You cannot expect to win after giving away as much ball as they did over the eighty minutes. Good win for the Welsh nonetheless with Shane Williams and James Hook on form in the backs, important for them to come out fighting after their ego's were severely bruised in that defeat by England last weekend.

Coverage concludes tomorrow with Ireland taking on France at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:47 am

I couldn't watch England v Italy yesterday but it sounds like it was an easy win for Martin Johnson's boys.

Chris Ashton with 4 tries!

Will try and see Ireland v France today as it looks like it could be a decent match over there at the Aviva in Dublin!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Conaldinho » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Good close match but the French have come out on top again, we really should have won it with that break right at the end but Cronin knocked-on at the vital moment so it wasn't to be.

An encouraging performance but England are looking good as well so it looks like we'll be battling for 3rd this year
Conaldinho
World Class
World Class

Postby Hoop45 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah I agree, it was a good, entertaining game that went right down to the wire.

For those who didn't see it, it ended Ireland 22-25 France.

Errors from Ireland were the crucial factor in the end. The French only ran in one try during the eighty minutes, but kept the scoreboard ticking over nicely with penalty after penalty kicked by the two scrum halves. Ireland had a huge amount of ball in hand and always looked dangerous, and you wouldn't have bet against them to just nick the game as they rallied late on.

The game in Dublin between Ireland and England on the final weekend now unfortunately won't be a grand slam decider, what occasion that would have been! Huge significance is now placed on the game between England and France at Twickenham a week on Saturday, and whoever wins that is likely to take the whole thing.

From watching the French today I think we can beat them, but it will be tough. The key for us will be to absolutely avoid the indisciplined errors made by the Irish today. Easy penalties have totally killed us in recent times, so discipline is the key. If we can stay focused, disciplined keep the silly mistakes to a minimum and keep playing the modern rugby we have been then we certainly have a chance.
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:09 pm

No Six nations fixtures this weekend but this is how the table currently stands.

Pl W D L PF PA +/- Pts
1 England 2 2 0 0 85 32 53 4
2 France 2 2 0 0 59 43 16 4
3 Wales 2 1 0 1 43 32 11 2
4 Ireland 2 1 0 1 35 36 -1 2
5 Scotland 2 0 0 2 27 58 -31 0
6 Italy 2 0 0 2 24 72 -48 0

Next weekends matches -

26 Feb, 14:30 Italy v Wales Stadio Flaminio, Rome, ITA
26 Feb, 17:00 England v France Twickenham, London, ENG
27 Feb, 15:00 Scotland v Ireland Murrayfield, Edinburgh, SCO

Looking forward to England v France in what could decide who wins the Six nations!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:07 am

Not long to go now until Le Crunch at Twickenham between England and France.

The French manager Lievremont has boringly come out with an outburst how everyone hates the English :roll:
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:36 pm

I watched England's 17-9 win against France on Saturday evening.

It wasn't the best game ever but a win is a win and the Red rose are now on course to do the Grand Slam!

France were the better side in the 1st half but were unable to turn their possession into any try scoring chances.

England came out strongly after the break and took the lead when Ben Foden hung on to a poor pass and forced his way over.

No real stand out players but Tom Palmer did well and deserved his man of the match award.

Next up is Scotland at Twickenham in two weeks time,lets see if they have the courage to say that they hate the English.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hoop45 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:15 am

Certainly not the most entertaining game in terms of attacking chances between ourselves and France, but the tension and the occasion certainly made it a gripping spectacle for me. The two sides were so very evenly matched, players were fighting for every inch and desperate not to give away any telling field position.

I for one was thoroughly impressed with our team performance. Sure we struggled to get good, quick ball going forward but we forced the French into errors and capitalised from them. Flood kicked relatively well and had the scoreboard ticking over, even though he suffered quite a lot when coming off worse in some particularly brutal exchanged with the French forwards. Impressed by the Foden try as well, the only try of the game in the end, he showed great pace and power to get himself over the line. I accept at times we probably had a little bit of luck with their penalty striking the post and them just missing out on a try after that clever little grubber kick past our line, but apart from that I think it was deserved.

A little bit concerned again at the indiscipline at the breakdown, a few glaring errors that cost points and without them France wouldn't of even got nine points. When that stopped though I thought we were fantastic defensively, some big hits went in, we kept the pressure up and tirelessly forced the French into some big handling errors. Certainly not the free-flowing, expansive rugby we have played just recently but it was never going to be like that against France. This was a big win and showed that we can win by playing well and win by slugging it out and digging in defensively.

We are in a superb position now to go on and win the thing, possibly the Grand Slam but I think the Irish will raise their game when we rock up into town which could pose some problems.

In terms of the other two game, I only saw a half of each. Only managed to catch the second half of the Italy-Wales match, but it looked like a highly-charged, high-octane affair that could of gone either way due to continual errors. Hook showed good composure to land that drop goal to seal it, but the Italians could of easily won it with the ball they had in that half, they will be disappointed I think.

Similarly, only caught one half of the Ireland-Scotland game today due to the League Cup Final clashing with it and thought the standard was extremely poor. Scotland looked incredibly naive defensively whilst Ireland gave an utterly indisciplined performance that would of been punished severely by a better team than the Scots. Was the second half any better, anyone who watched it?
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby Conaldinho » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 am

Same as the first half basically, our penalty count was pathetic. We were far better than Scotland who thankfully were awful and as you say; a better team would have put us to the sword. Another dejected and disjointed performance and we're really not going anywhere with this team at the moment, worrying with the World Cup so near.

Caught the first half of the Wales game and unusually for a game involving Italy it seemed like an exciting game, quite evenly matched but Wales did enough for the win in the end.

Didn't see the England game at all but a great win and it really sets them up now for the Grand Slam. We'll hopefully raise our game but if our performances up to now are anything to go by; England should have enough in the tank to see us off. Should be a great encounter though and I don't think anyone over here wants to see England win the Grand Slam in our back yard
Conaldinho
World Class
World Class

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:55 am

Todays Results

12 Mar, 14:30 Italy 22 - 21 France Stadio Flaminio, Rome, ITA
12 Mar, 17:00 Wales 19 - 13 Ireland Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, WAL

What an incredible and historic victory for Italy against France today :lol:

I managed to catch some of the game in Cardiff between Wales and Ireland.

I don't think the Irish were very happy with that try Wales scored from the line out.

TV replays showed that it was done with a different ball and that is meant to be against the rules?

If England can defeat the old enemy Scotland on Sunday we'll be well on the way to doing the Grand Slam!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Rc_Lens » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

It's not a good result for France before the World Cup.
Rc_Lens
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 am

13 Mar, 15:00 England 22 - 16 Scotland Twickenham, London, ENG

I managed to watch the 2nd half and it was a very scrappy affair right until the end!

England only scored one try thanks to Tom Croft and were made to work hard by Scotland who deserve praise for their efforts.

Table

Pl W D L PF PA +/- Pts
1 England 4 4 0 0 124 57 67 8
2 Wales 4 3 0 1 86 61 25 6
3 France 4 2 0 2 89 82 7 4
4 Ireland 4 2 0 2 69 73 -4 4
5 Italy 4 1 0 3 62 117 -55 2
6 Scotland 4 0 0 4 61 101 -40 0

Final Fixtures

19 Mar, 14:30 Scotland v Italy Murrayfield, Edinburgh, SCO
19 Mar, 17:00 Ireland v England Aviva Stadium, Dublin, IRL
19 Mar, 19:45 France v Wales Stade de France, Paris Saint-Denis, FRA

England go to Dublin then looking for one more victory to win the grand slam and the six nations!

Any more comments?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Other Sports Discussion