Other Boxing Fights

This is the place on the forum to discuss other sports whether it be Cricket,Rugby or Formula 1.

Moderator: Moderators

Other Boxing Fights

Postby Hams » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:35 pm

This topic will be to discuss other boxing fights that don't have their own topic.

Anybody watch the boxing on Channel 5 last Friday night?

I was very impressed with the professional debut of Chris Eubank Junior.

Not too sure about this Tyson Fury who is now the British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion.

He was knocked down for the first time ever but did recover to beat his Canadian opponent who was forced to retire in round 3

Any comments?
Last edited by Hams on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hoop45 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Watched a re-run of the Fury fight, and it is a performance typical of the big man. All the guts and enthusiasm in the world, he has enormous power and is able to take a huge amount of punishment. but his defence is just laughable. His size and power clearly give him good potential, but he has been seriously wobbled in each of his last three fights and you have to feel that a boxer of a higher caliber, the ones Fury and his relentlessly optimistic promoter Mick Hennessey are hopeful of facing soon, would put him to the sword.

I heard about the Eubank fight on the undercard, sounded an impressive performance
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Eubank did look good but it was hard to tell just how good he was considering he was fighting a glorified punchbag. now, i appreciate it was his first professional fight but i'd have thought that getting a better calibre opponent would have helped him learn a bit more.

it was basically a sparring session. that said, the kid had some quick hand movement and looked far more accomplished than many boxers i've seen after a dozen pro fights. i have no doubt he will become a world champion eventually. it was funny to see his old man getting involved though, he obviously rules with an iron fist, rebelling against that might be his downfall.

Fury put in another lumbering performance which left a lot to be desired. i want to like him, i really do, but i just look at his demeanour in the ring and he just appears to be a giant oaf overly reliant on leaning his weight onto his opponents to drain their energy.

his promoter looks a like sweaty speed freak and will have to plot his star man's rise carefully to avoid anyone capable of punching with any sort of athleticism because Fury is more open than a whores legs.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:11 pm

If Tyson Fury avoids all the big names then he'll have a decent career,if he does eventually lose the plot and face the big hitters then it's Audley Harrison II in the making
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 am

I was listening to Talksport the other day and who should come on but none other than Audley Harrison!

He said that he would be happy to take on Tyson Fury now that he has been eliminated from Strictly come dancing :lol:
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Yeah Harrison was on Ringside a few weeks ago and said he doesn;t want to finish his career on that embarrasing defeat to David Haye,he sai he wants one more go and see where it takes him..

Fury v Harrison could be interesting if Harrison turns up this time
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hoop45 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:29 am

I think it would be so dreadful it would actually be good. Both would stand their unmoved, trading big blows because neither of them can defend and waiting until the other crumpled.
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:11 am

i'd give up on Fury if he stepped into the ring with that prat.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hoop45 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 pm

:lol: Indeed.

Concerning that he seems to be seriously targeting a Klitschko in three fights though.
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:56 pm

floody wrote::lol: Indeed.

Concerning that he seems to be seriously targeting a Klitschko in three fights though.

Yeah but to be fair it was their mum he was talking about
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hoop45 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm

:lol:

Bet she would still give him a decent fight!
Hoop45
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:59 pm

She'd probably last the full distance before losing narrowly on points
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Sun, 11 Dec 19:11:00 2011

Amir Khan's camp plan to raise concerns about the performance of the referee after the British fighter controversially lost his WBA super-lightweight and IBF light-welterweight titles to Lamont Peterson in Washington D.C. on Saturday.

The Briton was deducted two points for by referee Joseph Cooper in a split-decision defeat, one in the seventh round for pushing and one in the 12th when Khan hit Peterson on the break.

Those deductions proved crucial when the scores were announced, one judge giving the fight 114-111 to Khan, but the other two scoring it 113-112 for Peterson.

Khan said afterwards he felt he was "up against two people" and his camp on Sunday issued a statement questioning the performance of Cooper and demanding a re-match.

"Firstly, we would like to congratulate Lamont Peterson on his performance against Amir Khan," a statement from Team Khan and Golden Boy Promotions, said.

"Not only has he shown that he is a tremendous fighter inside the ring, but also a great man out of the ring.

"Following the decision in the fight, Team Khan and Golden Boy Promotions intends to make inquiries with the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission, the IBF and the WBA regarding the performance of referee Joseph Cooper and will also be seeking clarification regarding certain ambiguities with respect to the scores of the fight.

"We look forward to an immediate rematch with Lamont as confirmed by Lamont and his manager/trainer Barry Hunter."

The defeat was Khan's second in 28 fights since turning professional after winning an Olympic silver medal at the Athens Olympics in 2004.
Reuters

Did any of you see this fight on Saturday?

Was Amir Khan robbed of his two titles or was it a deserved victory for the American?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:09 pm

i thought Khan edged this fight ,but the ref failed to control the game in a fair manner.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 pm

The referee was pathetic all the way through the fight,Khan was docked two points for pushing his opponent away which happens in almost every fight....yes he was warned but how on earth is he supposed to react when his opponent comes in head first?

Khan needs the space to get his fast combinations to work but Peterson was constantly coming forward leaning in with his head,it's funny how the ref warned Khan for pushing but never once took any points from Peterson for leaning in with his head even though he warned him a few times..

Where was the fight held....Washington DC

Where is Peterson from - Washington DC

Enough said really on that one..

There is also some controversy surrounding the judges scorecards,before the results were announced it looked as if Khan's corner were told of the results in Khan's favour,this then filtered through to Peterson's corner and you could see Peterson's head drop....suddenly then Peterson had won so something doesn't sound right there..

At the end of the day Khan should be beating fighters like this with his eyes closed but being cocky he thought he'd won before he even stepped into the ring..

The rematch will happen early in 2012 and Khan will destroy him then move on,this result won't derail Khan and he will still go on to bigger things.
Last edited by Gazza-LFC on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 pm

I thought Peterson put up a good fight but Khan didn't use his jab enough and got caught on the ropes more than he had to.
Khan showed that he could have battered Peterson by ,sticking that jab in his face and keeping his distance.
Superior boxing skills and speed and maybe even power, couldn't stick to that game plan though.
The ref of course was a joke and should be sanctioned for the performance ,but i doubt that.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Johaldo8 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I completely disagree with you, Gaz.

Khan was constantly pushing Peterson back with his forearms and elbows - and it wasn't because Peterson was using his head like a "Holyfield" battering ram. It was simply because Khan cannot fight on the "inside".

Khan has an excellent, lightning fast jab, and because of this, he loves to fight his opponents at distance. The problem Khan found is that his punches were not hurting the American, so Peterson walked through Khan's punches and destroyed him up close. He walked him down.

The point deductions were controversial, but when you're constantly warned about pushing, then you're at the referee's mercy. This happened in the very first minute of the fight:

Still in the first round, this was when Khan had knocked Peterson down the first time - you can see that Khan didn't catch him with his fist, rather his forearm and used it to push him down:

Now, you and everyone else is banging on about how this referee was so biased, yet you all overlook the fact that he awarded Khan a knockdown on Peterson in the 1st round, when in actual fact Khan pushed him down with his elbow!

That's three occasions on which Khan had used his elbows and forearms to drive Peterson away - in this was just in the 1st round! Khan complained afterwards that Peterson was keeping his head low - so what? Peterson never drove his head into Khan and this is the point. Anway, if Khan had a problem with Peterson's style, why didn't he complain DURING the fight?? I rest my case.

So if Khan's supporters are going to complain about being docked two points, I'd argue back that the referee gifted Khan an extra point because of the knockdown that wasn't.

I thought a draw would have been a fair result but if there was to be a winner, then it was Peterson because he was the aggressor. Khan was running away a lot of the time and a lot of judges take a dim view of this.

Khan and Golden boy only have themselves to blame for this. Why take a fight in the challenger's backyard for? They should know from experience that the chances of a "hometown" decision is always possible. I can only put this choice down to sheer arrogance of Khan and Golden Boy. They obviously handpicked Peterson as an easily winnable fight, even in Peterson's own backyard, and now it's blown up in their cocky faces.

They've lost time, money and the belts.
Johaldo8
World Class
World Class

Postby Hams » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12 am

Excellent post Johaldo - I agree with your point that Khan was foolish to fight Peterson in his own backyard.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Good post Jo and yeah fair enough,i've only seen the fight live on saturday and i was too busy getting excited and whatever to see everything clearly,i'll have another look when i get the chance..

Totally agree that they were definitely cocky in taking the fight in Peterson's back yard,they did think it was an easy stepping stone on to bigger things,for me Khan wanted to show Timothy Bradley how it should have been done but it backfired badly..

For me Khan would have won if it weren't for the 2 points loss but he threw it away..

I do still think Khan will win the rematch and still think this loss won't have hurt him.

EDIT...as for Khan not complaining about Peterson's style through the fight...he did complain a few times mate about Peterson leaning in with his head,Jim Watt the co commentator was going on about Khan should not be complaining as this shows that he's uncomfortable etc..
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:30 pm

@johaldo

Peterson's head was often in a position that most fighters fear ,because usually when a fighter is coming in like he was a head butt to the face is the usual outcome. to prevent this from happening you have to push the man back or keep your hands on the back of his neck. Khan complained often to the ref about him coming in dangerously with his head and the ref warned Peterson often about keeping his head up. The fact that Khan was deducted points and peterson wasn't after constant warnings was suspect. If the ref would have taken a point from peterson after warning him that many times he would have bailed himself out and no one could say sh*t about him being a homer.
I think Peterson's corner had words with the ref about Khan previous to the fight about their concerns or Khan's tactics and the ref was super sensitive to that and so was the outcome. It's smart of them ,but gullible of the ref.
I thought Khan deserved to have a point taken for the amount of times he was warned ,because the ref put himself in the position where he couldn't ignore it any longer and keep any sort of credibility as an official.

Even though with the points deducted i still had Khan landing the harder shots and controlling most of the fight .There is absolutely no way you award peterson them titles in this fight and he's crazy to give Kahn a rematch ,because he will be he got incredibly fortunate . I give peterson a lot of credit though for coming back into the fight after getting hurt early on ,because i thought he was going out . He fought like a warrior and deserved respect for that ,but he didn't do enough to win them belts ,no way in hell.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports Discussion