El Gran Clasico - Barcelona v Real Madrid

If you love watching Spanish football why not join us right here to discuss all the latest La Liga action.

Moderators: Hams, Moderators

El Gran Clasico - Barcelona v Real Madrid

Postby Hams » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:04 am

On Sunday night Barcelona take on Real Madrid in El Gran Clasico!

Tito Vilanova's side have started the season well winning all of their 6 matches so far and lead the table.

Real Madrid on the other hand have begun the campaign poorly losing league matches at Getafe and Sevilla.

Jose Mourinho responded by dropping Sergio Ramos and reading the riot act and Los Blancos thrashed Deportivo 5-1 in their last game.

If Barcelona win at the Nou Camp they will go a massive 11 points clear of their rivals and the title race will be over.

The former Los Galacticos can't afford to lose this match or it could mean they lose their league crown by the start of October!

Any comments or predictions?!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby eaman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm

kick off is 6.50 gmt
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:19 pm

eaman wrote:kick off is 6.50 gmt

Thanks eaman.

I have changed the subject title.

Who do you think will win this on Sunday?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Katie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Come on RM!!.
Katie
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Hams » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Barcelona have a crisis in central defence as they prepare for El Gran Clasico on Sunday.
Captain Carles Puyol is out with a dislocated elbow and Gerard Pique is only 50/50 due to a foot injury.
Tito Vilanova may well have to play midfielders Javier Masherano and Alex Song at the back to cover these loses.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Klaas Bruinsma » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 pm

To play as centre-backs in a Clasico will be a great challenge for defensive midfielders Song & Mascherano. I don't think that Alex Song was used in this position when he was in Arsenal, although I can say Mascherano has been comfortable in the last line, as I have seen him starting at centre-back position, several times before. But we all know who's job is Crisitiano Ronaldo, Dani Alves, well if he can't contain Ronaldo, then they surely have a problem.

1-2 Madrid
Klaas Bruinsma
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Tipster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:40 pm

I've no idea of the score, but have a couple of goalscorer tips.

RONALDO, and Ozil for Real Madrid. Modric good from the bench.

FABREGAS, and Xavi for Barcelona. VILLA, and Sanchez from the bench.

As always, I want Real Madrid to win. Hope they do.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Line ups

BARCELONA:
Valdes, Alves, Mascherano, Adriano, Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Fabregas, Pedro, Messi, Iniesta -

subs - Pinto, Villa, Sanchez, Barta, Montoya, Song, Sergi Roberto

REAL MADRID:
Casillas, Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo, Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo, Benzema -

subs - Adan, Albiol, Coentrao, Essien, Modric, Kaka, Higuain
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Tito Vilanova has preferred to go with Adriano at centre back rather than Song and left the former Arsenal player on the bench!

Jose Mourinho meanwhile is to start with Ozil in the play maker role and this means there is no place in the team for Modric.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm

HT

Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid

0-1 Ronaldo 23'

1-1 Messi 31'
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 pm

FT

Sunday 7th October

Barcelona 2-2 Real Madrid
0-1 Ronaldo 23'
1-1 Messi 31’
2-1 Messi 61’
2-2 Ronaldo 66’

Any comments on todays El Gran Clasico?

Will give my summary of the game on Monday morning.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Mont » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Hams wrote:Any comments on todays El Gran Clasico?

It's a shame they can't both loose ;-)

Aupa Atleti!
Mont
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Bren10 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Quite pleased with a point. Dont think we ever got going today but if we could defend we wouldve wrapped it up tonight. Adriano and Mascherano at CB is really scraping the barrel, although I can see why Adriano was picked given his pace but it was him who messed up for the equaliser. That said wouldnt run him down he didnt play too badly. Surprised at Alves' substitution, it was allegedly tactical but will have to confirm tomorrow.
Bren10

Postby Almeida » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 am

didn't recognize Barca. could RM have become that stronger in terms of creativity? :lol: or it was just Barcelona who werent at their best and allowed Madrid to look THAT good? hard to say... but Real DID link up passes much better than ever before facing Barca. they didn't deserve defeat last night, for sure.

Alexis is my man in the Barca squad. what a technique!
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Bren10 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am

Almeida wrote:didn't recognize Barca. could RM have become that stronger in terms of creativity? :lol: or it was just Barcelona who werent at their best and allowed Madrid to look THAT good? hard to say... but Real DID link up passes much better than ever before facing Barca. they didn't deserve defeat last night, for sure.

Alexis is my man in the Barca squad. what a technique!

Madrid did well on the counter as it is their strength, factor in the confidence of Madrid against us and the fact we had no real CBs and it was always going to be difficult. If Adriano doesnt make a mistake we win the game, not going to run him down though, he did a good job overall.
I dont believe we are anywhere near our best form wise or tactically and we have some injuries to contend with so this is a good result. RM needed a win realistically and they didnt get it, the title race is far from over but this is a chance missed by RM for sure. As for the passes, dont fret mate look at the 70/30 possession stat, weve still got it.
Bren10

Postby Hams » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:42 am

Mont wrote:
Hams wrote:Any comments on todays El Gran Clasico?

It's a shame they can't both loose ;-)

Aupa Atleti!

I hear you mate!

A draw will do us nicely though :D
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am

I thought Real Madrid deserved the draw in last nights El Gran Clasico.
While Barcelona may have had 70% of the possession which should be a concern
for Los Blancos the away side created the best chances during the game and could have won all 3 points.

Barca dominated the opening 20 minutes but it was Real Madrid who took the lead at the Nou Camp!
I wonder if the reason why Vilanova took off Alves was because he thought the Brazilian was at fault for Ronaldo's goal?
The Catalans soon equalised when Messi bundled the ball in on 31' and you have to say Pepe was to blame that time.

When the Argentine scored that brilliant free kick on 61' to make it 2-1 I thought the home side would go
on to win the game but Cristiano wasn't finished yet and due to a mistake from Adriano managed to level the match a 2-2.

I think a draw was a fair result for both teams in the end and it keeps the league title race alive and interest in La Liga.

I only have 1 complaint about this match that in the 18th minute the home fans started singing about independence for Catalunya which spoiled this occasion.

I think the Spanish Football Federation should ban politics from football and fine any club or deduct points if their fans start chanting political slogans.
Keep politics out of football!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Almeida » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm

yeah, i think a draw was the fairest outcome, too. none of the teams played to the point of winning this game. Barca were probably closer to a win in the end with couple of scoring opportunities including that hit off the bar, but then RM were the better side in the beginning.

Bren, that statistics is cool of corse, but i didnt mean it. Real will never be able to replicate this piece of art from Barca, and none of the teams will. most of them passes that make up this terrific at first glance figure of 70% are meaningless and toothless. and nither Real nor any other team needs it. therefor, what i mean is that RM really seem to have improove on the linkage of the passes that are really meant to sharpen the game. that are destined to cut, open up, not to roll the ball uselessly and meaninglessly in the midfield.

it's surprising though after this game particulary that RM should have lost so many points in la liga this season. they looked strong!
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Bren10 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Almeida wrote:yeah, i think a draw was the fairest outcome, too. none of the teams played to the point of winning this game. Barca were probably closer to a win in the end with couple of scoring opportunities including that hit off the bar, but then RM were the better side in the beginning.

Bren, that statistics is cool of corse, but i didnt mean it. Real will never be able to replicate this piece of art from Barca, and none of the teams will. most of them passes that make up this terrific at first glance figure of 70% are meaningless and toothless. and nither Real nor any other team needs it. therefor, what i mean is that RM really seem to have improove on the linkage of the passes that are really meant to sharpen the game. that are destined to cut, open up, not to roll the ball uselessly and meaninglessly in the midfield.

it's surprising though after this game particulary that RM should have lost so many points in la liga this season. they looked strong!

I think the main concern for me is we arent starting games too well, it takes too long to get into our rhythm. I think Madrid have taken advantage of this a couple of times and it needs sorting quick.
I know the possession stats mean nothing but im still of the impression the draw was a better result for us and Madrid shouldve made a better fist of it, theyre more than capable.
Bren10

Postby Almeida » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 pm

if Benzema (or who it was) had scored that sitter which eventually and fortunately ended up hitting the post, i think RM could have taken somthing more from the game. or maybe it wasn't fortunally as i put it, since on the contrary, it would have been quite interesting to see Barca coping with being 2-0 down with plenty of time to win back this advantage :D
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Next

Return to Spain - La Liga