Sweden v England - 14th November

Join us here to discuss all the Euro 2016 qualifiers plus England internationals as The 3 Lions try and reach the finals in France.

Moderator: Moderators

Sweden v England - 14th November

Postby Hams » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 pm

England

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), Leon Osman (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

I have no idea why England are playing away against Sweden in a friendly next week but here is Hodgson's squad.

I think it was a stupid decision to recall Jack Wilshere who has only been back in action for 2 games one of which he was sent off!

There are first call ups for Everton's Leon Osman and Liverpool's Rahim Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey.

Arsenals Carl Jenkinson will join up with the squad in the next couple of days if he is given permission by FIFA.

Any comments on the squad?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Rooney,Walcott,Shelvey,Walker and Lennon have all pulled out of England's squad for this friendly.

Carl Jenkinson must have been cleared by FIFA as he has been called up along with Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Line ups

Sweden:
Isaksson, Lustig, Granqvist, Jonas, Olsson, Martin Olsson, Elm, Kallstrom, Larsson, Kacaniklic, Ibrahimovic, Ranegie.

Subs: Hansson, Svensson, Jansson, Sana, Antonsson, Wenbloom, Safari, Holmen, Berg, Hamad.

England:
Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Caulker, Baines; Gerrard, Osman; Sterling, Cleverley, Young; Welbeck.

Subs: Jenkinson, Ruddy, Bertrand, Jagielka, Shawcross, Wilshere, Huddlestone, Zaha, Sturridge, Forster.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:53 pm

I like Osman as an inclusion ,he hasn't been playing to the form of last years so far this season ,but i thought he would be greta for England so i applaud Hodgson on this choice.Technically England have the players to beat Sweden quite easily and only the mental belief and experience will be the deciding factor here.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

HT

Sweden 1-2 England

Ibrahimovic put Sweden 1-0 ahead under the closed roof in their brand new stadium
but England fought back to go 2-1 in front at the break thanks to goals from Wellbeck and Caulker.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Tipster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:22 pm

He might lack a bit of pace, but Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the best striker in the world. Falcao is damn good, but this guy deserves the praise.

Amazing performance, and had a very good Euro too, for a 'minor' country.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:27 pm

FT

Zlatan Ibrahimovic 4-2 England

What a fantastic display from the Swedish striker!

What was Joe Hart doing there so far out of his box for that 4th goal?

I don't know if I'd rate the PSG hit man as the best in the world but do consider him to be one of the top forwards around.

Any comments on tonights result?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Tipster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:40 pm

England passed it around ok in the first half, but the final ball was lacking. This keeps happening for England. I would consider the way they played a good performance.

The way he holds the ball up and brings others into play is amazing. His goal record speaks for itself.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 pm

That last goal was of a class you are rarely going to see in your life!
I have slated Ibra for not performing well against the best teams,yes this was a experimental England team ,but nothing and i repeat NOTHING can take anything away from that goal right there.
Not sure what was the the primary issue for England in this game ,but the sheer amount of fouls committed by Sweden against the players in the position which gives us a massive advantage over others indicates we are going in the right direction. I have to say that Baines had absolutely no impact on this game ,a game against a decent foe and yet again he fails to impress me.
If he's the heir apparent to A.Cole then the level of quality will drop massively.
Gerrard i thought did ok the right amount of experience ,Wilshere's few minutes were ok ,but his passing is not there just yet ,he will improve though. Cahill looked uncharacteristically shaky out there for me and Joe Hart what was he doing on the 3rd and 4th goals?
Ashley Young gerat assist ,got fouled a lot ,but i just don't rate him at going past players to be honest. He also gave the ball away a hell of a lot. I think we have all the parts ,but we just got to put them all in place at the right time.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Tipster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:11 pm

If we have the likes of Huddlestone and Shawcross to look forward to, England have a dismal future. Seems like we have too many young players in the squad.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:47 pm

I was very disappointed last night with the displays of Joe Hart and Gary Cahill.

The Man City keeper was at fault for the last goal and was poor all game while the Chelsea defender had an embarrassing mix up with Hart at one point.

Plus points we can take from this friendly were Steven Caulkers debut and Steven Gerrard's contribution for the Spurs defenders goal.

Despite England losing 4-2 it was a very enjoyable friendly to watch and how all these matches should be.

Sweden were up for it as they were opening their new stadium and we will always remember Ibrahimovic's performance scoring all 4 against us and that overhead kick for the last one!

Any more comments on this result
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Tipster wrote:If we have the likes of Huddlestone and Shawcross to look forward to, England have a dismal future. Seems like we have too many young players in the squad.

Even though i think HUddlestone and Shawcross shouldn't be included there is a massive amount of very talented youngsters that can elevate England to a high level and legitimate Fifa ranking. For example instead of Huddlestone i would use PHil Jones as my defensive mid. I would use Scott Parker if he recovers fully as my #1 choice for his experience. There is not a position that isn't covered by a young promising talent in England right now ,but as i have always said it's about selecting them together that is the issue.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Almeida » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:57 pm

the last goal from ibra is of the kind you want to watch again and again :D a pedigree goal, make no doubts about that.))
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Return to International football