FA Cup Round 3 - 2012/13

Let us know your thoughts on this years competition! Can anyone break the dominance of the big four?

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:OK Nick, but don't tell me the Swansea, Newcastle, Sunderland, Wigan or Wolves games were boring and predictable! Always entertaining to see some 'big time charlies' struggle against the 'wee' clubs!

For me they are boring. In each match, the winner will get a place in the last 32, which is an uninspiring reward as far as I'm concerned. That is why I am not really bothered that we lost, and I wouldn't really be bothered if we won. That is why it is boring to me. If it was round 5, and a place in the quarter-final was up for grabs then I would be geniuinely excited about these matches.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Boris » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 am

Hams wrote:If I was going to bet any money on an FA Cup upset I would stick a few quid on Luton to beat Wolves.

The Hatters are not doing so badly in the BS Premier and will backed by a full house while there opponents are struggling in the Championship.

Good shout Hams, stuck them in my multi to great effect.... However I also put in Newcastle, because they were paying 2.80, as opposed to Brighton's 2.50 and they bottled it... Feckin' Newcastle
Boris
Legend
Legend

Postby Klaas Bruinsma » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 am

Again, van Persie saves the day for the Red Devils. Their money for signing the Dutch man was really worth it. I think United will have the rematch.
Klaas Bruinsma
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby knabby crackers » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Five goals and clean sheet against the Trannies. :D

Nigel's young side showed some good skills and a great deal of effort to seal a comprehensive win, we finished with 7 of the team aged 21 and under [1 x 16 and 1 x 17].

The Yanks are rubbing their clammy hands in anticipation of drawing one of the PL teams at Pride Park to add more cash to their 'Pension Funds', bring 'em on !!!!!!!

:wink:
knabby crackers
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Conner99 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Ok...so here are the FA Cup results for this weekend

Brighton 2 - 0 Newcastle United
Crystal Palace 0 - 0 Stoke City
Tottenham Hotspur 3 - 0 Coventry City
Wigan Athletic 1 - 1 AFC Bournemouth
Fulham 1 - 1 Blackpool
Aston Villa 2 - 1 Ipswich Town
Charlton Athletic 0 - 1 Huddersfield Town
Macclesfield Town 2 - 1 Cardiff City
Barnsley 1 - 0 Burnley
Manchester City 3 - 0 Watford
Leicester City 2 - 0 Burton Albion
Millwall 1 - 0 Preston North End
Derby County 5 - 0 Tranmere Rovers
Crawley Town 1 - 3 Reading
Aldershot Town 3 - 1 Rotherham United
Middlesbrough 4 - 1 Hastings United
Oxford United 0 - 3 Sheffield United
Southampton 1 - 5 Chelsea
Swansea City 2 - 2 Arsenal
Mansfield Town 1 - 2 Liverpool
Queens Park Rangers 1 - 1 West Bromwich Albion
Peterborough United 0 - 3 Norwich City
Bolton Wanderers 2 - 2 Sunderland AFC
Nottingham Forest 2 - 3 Oldham Athletic
Hull City 1 - 1 Leyton Orient
Blackburn Rovers 2 - 0 Bristol City
Leeds United AFC 1 - 1 Birmingham City
Southend United 2 - 2 Brentford
Luton Town 1 - 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 0 Milton Keynes Dons
West Ham United 2 - 2 Manchester United
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:35 pm

NickKIELCEPoland wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:OK Nick, but don't tell me the Swansea, Newcastle, Sunderland, Wigan or Wolves games were boring and predictable! Always entertaining to see some 'big time charlies' struggle against the 'wee' clubs!

For me they are boring. In each match, the winner will get a place in the last 32, which is an uninspiring reward as far as I'm concerned. That is why I am not really bothered that we lost, and I wouldn't really be bothered if we won. That is why it is boring to me. If it was round 5, and a place in the quarter-final was up for grabs then I would be geniuinely excited about these matches.

that is because for a team like yours you dont expect to do anything in the FA Cup....the last time Newcastle won the trophy was in 1955 ....these days i guess most Newcastle fans dont expect their team to get very far in the FA Cup so it is hardly a big deal for them ..if you win a match ..great ..if you lose in the first couple of rounds ..well never really expected us to get through..etc .

For me ...every year i expect Arsenal to have a good chance of winning everything , now i may be thinking with my heart there ..but that is how i look at my club ...every game i expect us to have a chance of winning . If we had lost to Swansea today i would have been absolutely gutted ....i always expect Arsenal to get through the third round whoever it is we are playing .

I guess everyone has their own opinion on thes competitions and priorities for their team each season .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 am

massively disappointed to come away from that with a replay that doesn't really do both sides any favours.

we more than matched our more esteemed opponents once again and only failed to win thanks to the individual brilliance of the best player in the English game.

fantastic to see Cole back in our colours and two assists to his name will do him the power of good. it was also great to see Collins finally using his aerial prowess to goalscoring effect as he's been long overdue a goal and that makes him our 14th goal scorer this season.

don't fancy our chances at all in the return leg so i suppose the only plus side is we'll be able to fully focus on a strong league finish although i had hoped for a strong cup run this season so i am rather disappointed, albeit prematurely.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 pm

feel the same way about us ...thought we had turned it around against Swansea ....gutted to have to play a replay ..not 100% confident we will win at the Emirates .

Man Utd certainly are the kings of comeback ....an incredible goal by Robin Van `Bergkamp` ....super first touch and then cool as you like past De Gea ...Man Utd are so lucky to have Robin Van Persie , without him they would be out of the Champions League ..out of the FA Cup and mid table in the Premier League ....
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Conner99 wrote:feel the same way about us ...thought we had turned it around against Swansea ....gutted to have to play a replay ..not 100% confident we will win at the Emirates .

Man Utd certainly are the kings of comeback ....an incredible goal by Robin Van `Bergkamp` ....super first touch and then cool as you like past De Gea ...Man Utd are so lucky to have Robin Van Persie , without him they would be out of the Champions League ..out of the FA Cup and mid table in the Premier League ....

You really cannot be serious.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Conner99 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm

those are cast iron facts , Man Utd would be 12th in the table without his goals ...of course that is why Man Utd paid £24m for him ...
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 pm

Conner99 wrote:those are cast iron facts , Man Utd would be 12th in the table without his goals ...of course that is why Man Utd paid £24m for him ...

Oh for God's sake, don't embarrass yourself.
If they didn't have van Persie they'd have someone else, they'd be making other moves and van Persie's goals may not be completely replaced, but if you think they would have scored 0 goals instead of van Persie's goals, then you haven't got a clue.
Beleive me, they would not be 12th even if they hadn't bought van Persie.
If you don't understand that, then there is no point in talking. Man U would have been in the top 3, even if they hadn't bought van Persie - that is an absolute cast-iron certainty.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Gazza-LFC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Conner99 wrote:feel the same way about us ...thought we had turned it around against Swansea ....gutted to have to play a replay ..not 100% confident we will win at the Emirates .

:shock:

So Man Utd should have lost 3-1
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 pm

NickKIELCEPoland wrote:
Conner99 wrote:those are cast iron facts , Man Utd would be 12th in the table without his goals ...of course that is why Man Utd paid £24m for him ...

Oh for God's sake, don't embarrass yourself.
If they didn't have van Persie they'd have someone else, they'd be making other moves and van Persie's goals may not be completely replaced, but if you think they would have scored 0 goals instead of van Persie's goals, then you haven't got a clue.
Beleive me, they would not be 12th even if they hadn't bought van Persie.
If you don't understand that, then there is no point in talking. Man U would have been in the top 3, even if they hadn't bought van Persie - that is an absolute cast-iron certainty.

i`m sorry ...i should have realised that had Robin Van Persie not scored the equaliser against West Ham at the weekend there would have been someonbe else who would have saved Man Utd from going out of the FA Cup...how stupid of me .

The purpose of my post was just to highlight the importance of Robin Van Persie to Man Utd ....just a quick search on the internet will give you hundreds of facts and figures on footballers and the teams they played for ...i dont for one minute think that if Eric Cantona or Peter Schmeichal had never played for Man Utd they would never have won anything ...or if Cristiano Ronaldo had never signed for Man Utd all those trophies would have evaporated .

If Lionel Messi had never played for Barcelona i cannot say that they would not still be winning titles ....but we still get articles on the tv and in papers and on the internet listing his goals and how he has helped Barcelona win a chestful of trophies ....etc

So no i am not personally saying that Man Utd would have scored no goals without Van Persie ...was just providiing some info from a newspaper artice on how important some players have been for their team . Maybe i was a bit naive in saying they were `cast iron facts` nothing is ever certain in football .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:50 am

Well, well, Leeds play the mighty Spurs next round, should be a cracker! :D
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 am

Conner99 wrote:i`m sorry ...i should have realised that had Robin Van Persie not scored the equaliser against West Ham at the weekend there would have been someonbe else who would have saved Man Utd from going out of the FA Cup...how stupid of me .

The purpose of my post was just to highlight the importance of Robin Van Persie to Man Utd ....just a quick search on the internet will give you hundreds of facts and figures on footballers and the teams they played for ...i dont for one minute think that if Eric Cantona or Peter Schmeichal had never played for Man Utd they would never have won anything ...or if Cristiano Ronaldo had never signed for Man Utd all those trophies would have evaporated .

This is what you said:

Conner99 wrote:without him they would be out of the Champions League ..out of the FA Cup and mid table in the Premier League ....

By your logic their goalkeeper must be an absolute genius, since without all his saves they would probably be bottom.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Predictable maybe, but I'm disappointed in West Ham and Swansea, they didn't show up tonight. I'm hoping the Hammers can do more against the Arse in the spare league encounter. I think some of these games are lost in the player's heads before they take to the field. Gotta get into their ribs chaps. :twisted:
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 am

they're either both penalties or neither of them are.

Rafael's arm went towards the ball and knocked it into his path while Spence was running along and had the ball booted into his arm. for me neither were genuine penalties but, let's face it, it is no real surprise which side were generously given the penalty. that fat c*nt Dowd could barely keep up with play as well, looks like he had a good Christmas the pot bellied c*nt. no doubt justice was served when Rooney shovel footed it into Row Z.

an extremely frustrating game with both sides incredibly wasteful. to come away from yet another away game without scoring, despite the plethora of chances is a real concern. our defence was pathetic again which was another concern after the woeful showing at Sunderland.

it was a shock that it finished 1-0 really as it could easily have been 4-0 or even 1-3 - a good old fashioned cup tie.

disappointed to be out but at least we can have no excuses in the league in terms of upping our game. hoping the draw will be kinder to us next year to allow us a little cup run.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Good game for Arsenal i thought ,missed a lot of chances ,but it looks like we created an incredible amount which is refreshing because in recent times we haven't even done that. A lot was made of Swansea's futility ,but it more than irks me how the commentators give absolutely no credit to the defensive job when Arsenal finally do put in a decent shift back there.
Wilshere's was fantastic and he deserved that goal without question. I also thought Coquelin had his best outing for Wenger ,gave us that much needed intensity in the middle of the park. Diaby was so so imo, looked really tired in the second half so he still working on his fitness. Glad to get this game out the way though ,was a major distraction that we didn't need.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Here are all the results from this weeks replays

Tue 15/01/13
Birmingham City 1 - 2 Leeds United
AFC Bournemouth 0 - 1 Wigan Athletic
Brentford 2 - 1 Southend United
Leyton Orient E 1 - 2 E Hull City
Milton Keynes Dons 2 - 0 Sheffield Wed
Stoke City E 4 - 1 E Crystal Palace
Sunderland 0 - 2 Bolton Wanderers
Blackpool E 1 - 2 E Fulham
West Bromwich … 0 - 1 Queens Park R

Wed 16/01/13
Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City
Manchester United 1 - 0 West Ham United
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:13 pm

I agree with Steely that West Ham SHOULD have been awarded a penalty at Old Trafford.

It was a clear hand ball offence by Rafael but we all know that officials are scared to award away teams spot kicks

I thought we played well and created one or two good chances but it wasn't sadly to be our day in this years FA Cup.

Any more thoughts on this rounds results?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Previous

Return to FA Cup