Is this the worst Premier League season ever?

This is where you can tell us all your general football views either domestic or international.

Moderators: Big Jono, Moderators

Is this the worst Premier League season ever?

Postby Hams » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Is this the worst Premier League season since the competition began back in 1992?

The reason I ask is because there is a real lack of quality about compared with previous seasons.

We have 2 Manchester clubs at the top of the table at the moment that have been so unconvincing.

Man Utd wouldn't be 1st if it wasn't for RVP's goals and other than Tevez no Man City players have impressed me.

Chelsea are so bad at the moment that they have sacked RDM and hired Rafael Benitez to steady the ship!

As for Arsenal they have become a joke and can't be taken seriously any longer after losing on penalties to Bradford.

Things are so average right now that we have teams like Everton,WBA and Norwich City challenging for a top 4 place!

Any comments?
User avatar
Hams
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 38611
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Piginthegame » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Disagree completely.

The League has been full of quality this season.

The fact that the smaller clubs are challenging for top four places just goes to show how much depth the Premier League has. You can look at the Spanish league and you'll see Barca and Madrid win pretty much everything, the teams around them are to weak to compete. Where as in the Premier League no match is a certain win.

And I think you contradict yourself by saying there is a lack of quality in the league then go on to say RVP is the reason Manchester United are top, suggesting that his quality is what is keeping them above the competition.

:shock:
User avatar
Piginthegame
Grass Roots
Grass Roots
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Essex

Postby Almeida » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 pm

agree, hams. it's because the league has become corrupted with money since becoming popular and after winning almost everything in europe at the time. as the result players lost motivation while new generation looking up to them understood that you actually can play arses on the field and yet keep on getting the same astronomical salaries like those of their predecessors..

so, the bottom line is, the avarege footballers of the time being are getting paid for the merit and achivements of their predecessors which is totally wrong.
User avatar
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: Obama = Osama

Postby tdv123 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes it probably is the worse I've ever seen.

Anybody who is saying the quality of top sides hasn't changed & that the lower teams are just getting stronger is kidding themselves.

Remember seasons when the league was so strong a star studded West Ham side got relegated & another season Boro were relegated when they had the likes of Ravanelli & Juninho in there squad scoring goals for fun.

It really is just dire stuff at the moment. The lower sides are slowly getting worse & strong sides are rapidly getting worse.
User avatar
tdv123
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Ireland,Dublin

Postby Hams » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Piginthegame wrote:Disagree completely.

The League has been full of quality this season.

The fact that the smaller clubs are challenging for top four places just goes to show how much depth the Premier League has. You can look at the Spanish league and you'll see Barca and Madrid win pretty much everything, the teams around them are to weak to compete. Where as in the Premier League no match is a certain win.

And I think you contradict yourself by saying there is a lack of quality in the league then go on to say RVP is the reason Manchester United are top, suggesting that his quality is what is keeping them above the competition.

:shock:


Welcome to the forum.

I disagree that the PL has been full of quality!

2 of our best as in Chelsea and Man City have even failed to get out of the group stages in the CL.

I remember the days when Arsenal used to be regular contenders for the title and Liverpool would always finish in top 4.

At the moment we have Man Utd at the top of the table who have been conceding lots of goals and having to come
from behind to win and had it not been for RVP being in the right place at the right time they wouldn't have won so many.

Only Carlos Tevez has impressed me at Man City this season and Mancini keeps dropping him to the bench for Balotelli!

Its a little unfair to suggest that La Liga is only about Barcelona and Real Madrid as all 4 Spanish sides are through in the CL.

Also Atletico Madrid have won the Europa League twice in the last 3 seasons and in Falcao have the best striker in the world!!
User avatar
Hams
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 38611
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Almeida » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Piginthegame, welcome to the board, mate.)

your post seems to me like it was written by a person completely entranced by this league .) it's made me laugh for quite a while when people write of the spanish football in that way forgetting at the same time about some important and obvious things.

you could fanthom the strength of la liga when the top 2 english clubs of recent were cinically and easily beaten by not the strongest la liga representatives, to wit: bilbao and atletico madrid. it was almost like both mu and chelsea just got smoked, that's how easily they were outplayed by those spanish sides.

mancity havent won a single game in the champion's league this season including those against ajax,. yet they are leading the pack in england, you call that QUALITY? :lol:

what is quality? bouncing from one half of the pitch to another ball which spends a considerable amount of time being out of the game because players cant, simply, cant keep up to it in the filed, or cant retain possession by keeping it low opting instead to send it flying through the air in a poor attempt to deliver it into the box and score a header? that's quality?
User avatar
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: Obama = Osama

Postby specnur » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Wouldn't say it is the worst seasons ever and i feel those thread being a vehicle for la liga groupies to vent more than anything quite frankly, so lets get that out the way shall we.
Anyway i would say that the quality has dipped in specific areas , notably defensively .I think that all the top 4 defenses have looked shocking and rather than just pointing the finger we have to ask ourselves WHY this has happened to the very same players that were top notch season's previous.
Is it really that the quality if the players in their primes like Kompany,Vermaelen,Koscielny,Cahill, have dipped. We can accept that the likes of terry ,A.Cole, Evra, Ferdinand and such because of their age, but it doesn't tell the whole story and i am not pretending to know the answer to this. I do know that the lower level teams trying to adopt a more continental style of football some successfully and some not so has something to do with it. I think this style of play which, was only really used in this league by a couple of the top clubs in previous seasons, is now the norm.

We could be seeing a profound impact of the emergence of MAn city and CHelsea's money on the league than we first thought.
I think when you look at the type of goals we have seen ,the type of technique used in the offensive area of play in this league i think it's no different than previous season's .I do believe that there are managers such as Mancini who are absolutely crap and owners that like Abromovich who just meddle at every turn. What i found baffling is that a lot of the top teams have looked poor from the START of the season when you expect them to look tired later in the season. Even the usually top conditioned Arsenal have looked shot out there in a lot of games ,and have lost the creativity that was part of their identity. It's quite a shocking thing to see to be fair ,but i still believe the league is second to NONE in world football.

What i do find hilarious ,is that the very same people saying the English dominance in Europe is over ,argued it's existence in the when it was totally clear the league was superior to any other.Pathetic.
specnur
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 15677
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 am
Location: on your mind

Postby Piginthegame » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 am

It may also have something to do with other leagues around the world upping their game, there's been alot of investment around Europe and some of the leagues that have benefited from that investment are starting to see results.

Borussia Dortmund have been a force in Germany for a few seasons now and have look superb in Europe, they brought themselves back from the brink of liquidation and rebuilt and are not competing for the biggest trophies they can.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome!
User avatar
Piginthegame
Grass Roots
Grass Roots
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Essex

Postby Bren10 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Wouldnt say its the worst ever but the top teams have been waning for a couple of years now. Pretty much peaked in 09 when Barca spanked Utd in the UCL final, its been on the way down for a bit.
The only card our league holds now is the excitement but thats down to poor defending rather than a real quality on these shores. Which is another problem, we only have one or two world class players in our league and they arent going to be contending for the Ballon D'or anytime soon.

Whilst on the continent it seems money has been spent wisely on youth and the Germans have reaped rewards, plus a resurgent Juve are looking like they will trouble teams and there is also Shaktar.

We need to start looking at our coaching and development of youngsters rather than listening to Sky and believing the hype, we are starting to fall behind and if we dont stop throwing money at s**t we may find itll be a while before we are top dogs again.
Bren10
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Postby fakeplastictrees » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:56 pm

England will be below Germany in the UEFA Coefficients by the end of the season and well below Spain.

That says it all.

Spain has a far better pool of players right now.
User avatar
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am

Postby Almeida » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 pm

+1, +1
User avatar
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: Obama = Osama

Postby Bren10 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:07 pm

fakeplastictrees wrote:England will be below Germany in the UEFA Coefficients by the end of the season and well below Spain.

That says it all.

Spain has a far better pool of players right now.


Thats pretty worrying, not shocked though.
Bren10
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Postby Almeida » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 pm

what else could be expected when mancity dont win a singe match and slump out of the cl having not even qualified to europe league?
User avatar
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: Obama = Osama

Postby specnur » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 am

Bren10 wrote:Wouldn't say its the worst ever but the top teams have been waning for a couple of years now. Pretty much peaked in 09 when Barca spanked Utd in the UCL final, its been on the way down for a bit.
The only card our league holds now is the excitement but thats down to poor defending rather than a real quality on these shores. Which is another problem, we only have one or two world class players in our league and they arent going to be contending for the Ballon D'or anytime soon.

Whilst on the continent it seems money has been spent wisely on youth and the Germans have reaped rewards, plus a resurgent Juve are looking like they will trouble teams and there is also Shaktar.

We need to start looking at our coaching and development of youngsters rather than listening to Sky and believing the hype, we are starting to fall behind and if we dont stop throwing money at s**t we may find itll be a while before we are top dogs again.


It's funny that !
Because when England were putting 3 teams in 3 semi finals 3 years in a row (which had never been done before by any league and probably never will be done again) the same people here were adamant Spain was a superior league back then.

I find it hard to give any credibility to those people who post here quite frankly because of their failure to admit to the obvious when it was clear.
No on to todays league position in the rest of Europe ,Germany will never be better than the premiership ,it's really that simple .Reasoning is because they have a different approach to the game e.g. more cautious financially. Not only that they are more nationalistic in terms of the amount of domestic players they have on teams there. Now i have always said here that German players have been highly overrated because of the "success" of the national team. I think i have more than justified that claim if we are to single out the same player that everyone were claiming to be world class a few years ago.
So let's stop with that Bundesliga nonsense shall we ,i like watching that league a lot ,but it's no threat to the premiership .

Now as far as Spain goes ,it is by far the superior league technically ,i have always said that. BUt the lack of competitively in terms of title race contender in that league is pathetic. Now the La liga groupies will have you believe that is because REal Madrid and Barca are so far superior to the other teams as the reason. And that would make sense if REal Madrid had made it consistently to the champions league semi finals over the last 8 years ,but as we all know that is not the case. And then you have the issue of Barca having made i to two finals in the most controversial fashion in the tournaments history to contend with ,and i point to the chelsea game at stamford bridge and the sending off of RVP in a series Arsenal were winning. controversial fashion. So we have to really ask ourselves how is that evidence of a superior team. Given a fair shake at Barca Arsenal and Chelsea beat that team. SO they are not on such a plateau that most of you would love to believe. The best team in Europe without question ,but not most are living in fantasy world and get caught up in the media sensationalism.

Now i will say that if Barca played any of the top four teams today they would beat them all in a row based on what i have seen this season. That is not based on quality it is based on confidence ,if i picked the starting line ups of any of them they would beat barca if each player was playing at his best ability shown previously in our league. So yes La liga is a great league but the
the level of competitiveness is not in the same league as the premiership.

I think it is totally ridiculous fro anyone to assume that a league that were so prolific in Europe in terms of getting so deep in the biggest club competition on the planet ,to drop off to the level these La liga nut huggers would have you believe. We are talking about unprecedented and almost blanket semi finals three year running 2 in the semi final for the forth year ,and all of sudden the german and spanish league are superior. Absolute trash. They haven't even put 3 teams in the semi finals once yet since the premiership "demise" so how do these idiots figure that out?
specnur
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 15677
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 am
Location: on your mind

Postby Almeida » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:15 am

it's funny that even after german teams were so openly having english clubs this season you still will assert that league is inferior :lol: and are still clinging to the past bring up this semi-finals thing time and again. she is gone, lieutenant! :lol:

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/ ... index.html
User avatar
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: Obama = Osama

Postby KimKallstrom2 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:44 pm

specnur wrote:It's funny that !
Because when England were putting 3 teams in 3 semi finals 3 years in a row (which had never been done before by any league and probably never will be done again) the same people here were adamant Spain was a superior league back then.



Too much truth in that observation.

I actually tend to agree with most of what Specnur has said in this thread. La Liga is such a good league that half the teams put out reserve sides against Barcelona since they know they will get killed either way so they want to save their main players. Scottish league on steroids.

As for the question at hand, this Prem season has been OK but not great. But I have some hope. It's only 6 months since the best finish to a league ever, afterall.
User avatar
KimKallstrom2
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 2499
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:20 am
Location: Croydon

Postby specnur » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Almeida wrote:it's funny that even after german teams were so openly having english clubs this season you still will assert that league is inferior :lol: and are still clinging to the past bring up this semi-finals thing time and again. she is gone, lieutenant! :lol:

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/ ... index.html


You have to show me consistency bro ffs! They had one season in Europe and only Bayern has got anywhere near the semi finals in the past 8 years from what i know. Last year we didn't have many teams in the semi's ,but we won the whole thing that year.You want to have a good example of the difference between the top ENglish clubs and the top German clubs ,then all you need to do is look at Bayern Munich against chelsea in the final at home. I love you like a son Almeida ,but you are talking absolute crap! :D
specnur
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 15677
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 am
Location: on your mind

Postby Almeida » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 pm

i dont know why it's so difficult to accept the simple truth albeit the bitter one... thing clearly have been deteriating by stages every year. look. even hams, who used to remained silent if not pro-epl is now outraged and protest against this cheap sham :lol:
User avatar
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: Obama = Osama

Postby Hams » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm still pro for the Premier League and think ours is the best in the world but that this season has been the worst I have ever seen.
User avatar
Hams
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 38611
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Almeida » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:25 am

well... as far as i'm concerned it's the best too if to consider all the criteria involved. but let me put it this way. if you take away all this beautiful and colorful wrapper in the form of entourage around the games, you will get just commonplace football which wont be starkly different from that which is shown in other leagues.

let's not go far for an example and take the recent wba v west ham game. and what will we see?? but for the football-type stadium and full-house, it wouldnt differ by any means from a game, say, terek grozny v amkar perm :lol:

the bottom line is, the epl is very presentable which makes it so popular, but if the things keep deteriorating it's not over the hills when it's not second to none anymore.
User avatar
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Location: Obama = Osama

Next

Return to General Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron