Southampton v Arsenal

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Southampton v Arsenal

Postby Conner99 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Southampton were denied a crucial win as Stoke equalised in the 90th minute , it finished 3-3 , manager Nigel Adkins was upbeat despite the draw and said ...We have matured all season and it's excellent to win a point at Stoke. We have a team that are showing a great character and a great desire to do well in this division."

Arsenal needed a late burst to take all 3 pts at the Emirates against Newcastle , it was 3-3 when Theo Walcott started a late goal rush to give the Gunners a 7-3 win over Newcastle ...a hatrick for Walcott and chants of `sign him up` from the home crowd..manager Arsene Wenger will know he has a bit of negotiating to do if he wants to avoid losing Walcott in the new year .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Klaas Bruinsma » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 am

Walcott has been on superb form lately and if not for him, they might have lost to Newcastle. I see him scoring in his reunion with Southampton. Although I thinks this will be a close, 2-3 for Arsenal.
Klaas Bruinsma
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:08 am

I will be very surprised if the Gunners scored 7 again against the Saints but think they will just take all 3 points.

Southampton 1-2 Arsenal
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Another game on TV, we've been on so much recently.

I don't fancy this to be an easy game, but I think we'll bring home three points. 3-1 Arsenal
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Conner99 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:07 pm

i would love another goal feast by Arsenal ....but i will also settle for any win ....would love to see Walcott score a few more though against Southampton ...
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pokerkings » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:28 pm

We need another win today (obviously) but I'd like us to see keep a clean sheet, we know we can score goals but we always look like conceding at the back...

Erm... 3-1 Arsenal is probably a good shout.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Welcome back to the forum Pokers:-0)

Will be posting the team line ups shortly.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Line ups

Southampton:
Boruc; Cork, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw; Puncheon, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Guly, Ramírez; Lambert.

Subs: K.Davis, Hooiveld, Rodriguez, Ward-Prowse, Richardson, Mayuka, De Ridder

Arsenal:
Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott.

Subs: Martinez, Mertesacker, Coquelin, Ramsey, Rosicky, Gervinho, Giroud
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm

HT

Southampton 1-1 Arsenal

The Saints went ahead on 35' when their record signing Ramirez fired
in but The Gunners leveled on 42' thanks to a beautiful own goal from Doprado.

With Spurs having won today Arsenal really need to win this to keep in contention for a top 4 spot.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:27 pm

yes we do need to win to keep in contention with Chelsea and Spurs ...i hope we can step up a gear in the second half , need to cut out the silly defending .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 pm

FT

Southampton 1-1 Arsenal
1-0 Ramírez 35'
1-1 Do Prado 41’ (o.g.)

Any comments on todays result?

Did Southampton deserve to earn a draw?

Have Arsenal now lost some ground in the race to finish in the top 4 by not winning this match?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:42 am

I thought Southampton probably did enoough to earn a draw, they looked like they might snatch it in the second half with the chances they were creating. Arsenal do look a bit vunerable at the back, but I don't think there is a 'crisis' at the Emirates. Fifth place with a game in hand on the top three is hardly reason for the Gooners to feel depressed. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm sure Arsenal will be involved with the top four places come May.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:26 pm

gutted by this result, it was a must win game for that fourth spot.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Johaldo8 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm

History teaches me that Arsenal are capable of putting a good run together at any time of the season so i wouldnt fret yet.
Johaldo8
World Class
World Class

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Not this time, I fully expect this to be the season we drop out of the top 4 and that should be enough to be the end of Wenger at Arsenal. I hope we make top 4 but if we don't, that'll be the one good thing for us to look forward to.

This team is so ridiculously flawed. Over a 5 year space of time Wenger has just f**ked up completely with the team and where we once needed 2 or 3 players away we now need a whole new team.

We have no ruthlessess, we have no squad at all. Just a first team and a bunch of players Wenger is terrified to put in unless its absolutely necessary, he runs our first team into the ground.

We have no variation, all our players are small and technical. We have no power in midfield, no pace in the middle. We have no flair players that can individually make the difference (Fort example RVP, Rooney, Nani, Yaya, Aguero) just a bunch of players that rely on “his way” to work. We need a GK, 2 fullbacks, a Defensive Midfielder, a Box to Box midfielder, a winger and a top striker. Thats £100m at least, which is nothing compared to what we have sold in recent seasons.

What an absolute mess he's created.

It just shows you, selling Van Persie has got to be just about the worst decision in the entire history of top flight football. We scrape Champions League football by 1 point, entirely due to Van Persie's outstanding performances, and Wenger decides to sell the best Centre Forwrd in world football to our former rivals, to make them the best team in the country.

My own personal opinion is that Wenger is an egomaniac, and there are 2 reasons he constantly sells top players and that's because 1, he doesn't like any player earning more than him, and 2, He refuses to let any player overshadow “the great Wenger”

Lets face it Van Persie was the main man at Arsenal last year, he became bigger than Wenger, so he had to go. Same for Cesc and Henry previously.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby mrtz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Happy new year, Poker! :)
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:26 pm

mrtz wrote:Happy new year, Poker! :)

Happy New Year Sunshine. 8)
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Pokerkings wrote:

It just shows you, selling Van Persie has got to be just about the worst decision in the entire history of top flight football. We scrape Champions League football by 1 point, entirely due to Van Persie's outstanding performances, and Wenger decides to sell the best Centre Forwrd in world football to our former rivals, to make them the best team in the country.

My own personal opinion is that Wenger is an egomaniac, and there are 2 reasons he constantly sells top players and that's because 1, he doesn't like any player earning more than him, and 2, He refuses to let any player overshadow “the great Wenger”

Lets face it Van Persie was the main man at Arsenal last year, he became bigger than Wenger, so he had to go. Same for Cesc and Henry previously.

an interesting post Poker ...not without some truth perhaps , selling Van Persie to Man Utd has made them the best team again ..Van Persie is showing already he is the difference for them..let it be known Arsenal have won the title for Man Utd this season .

We were awful against Southampton ....we next face Man City and then Chelsea , that will show if we are good enough to finish in the top 4 this season .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Pokerkings wrote:Not this time, I fully expect this to be the season we drop out of the top 4 and that should be enough to be the end of Wenger at Arsenal. I hope we make top 4 but if we don't, that'll be the one good thing for us to look forward to.

This team is so ridiculously flawed. Over a 5 year space of time Wenger has just f**ked up completely with the team and where we once needed 2 or 3 players away we now need a whole new team.

We have no ruthlessess, we have no squad at all. Just a first team and a bunch of players Wenger is terrified to put in unless its absolutely necessary, he runs our first team into the ground.

We have no variation, all our players are small and technical. We have no power in midfield, no pace in the middle. We have no flair players that can individually make the difference (Fort example RVP, Rooney, Nani, Yaya, Aguero) just a bunch of players that rely on “his way” to work. We need a GK, 2 fullbacks, a Defensive Midfielder, a Box to Box midfielder, a winger and a top striker. Thats £100m at least, which is nothing compared to what we have sold in recent seasons.

Your on a roll pal ,keep it up!

I will say i agree with you on the team ,and i have said that from lasts season. Which is why i can't believe Arsenal are in the champions league this year at all.
My problem with you is that you tend to believe that Arsenal football club deserves to be higher than 4th place. We can't compete with CHelsea and MAn city's money and we can't compete with Man u's history world wide ,so get your head out of your *ss and wake up ffs. That is the reality we may win the odd cup from time to time ,but if you actually believe we can win back to back titles with the level of teams we have to compete against you are delusional.

Best we can do is target 2 things on our calendar every year 1 cup and premiership survival from this point on ,nothing else is guaranteed. That is the reality of the premiership today, Abromovich won't settle for less and the sheik won't settle for less ,and man u's targeting RVP at that price from a team he wouldn't dream of buying from a few years ago speaks for itself.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Return to Barclays Premier League