Luis Suarez v Van Persie

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Who would you rather have?

Luis Suarez
56%
Robin Van Persie
38%
Marouane Chamakh
6%

Total votes : 16

Luis Suarez v Van Persie

Postby Davey1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:38 pm

When Van Persie was Suarez's age, he managed 11 goals and 11 assists, which is pretty impressive but Luis Suarez has currently 15 goals in the league and were only half way through the season.

If the question was who is better, most of you would say Van Persie, as he is at his peak, last seasons top scorer and leading with 16 goals, atm.

My question is who would you rather have, considering age, ability and potential?

Try not to be bias... :wink:

Second question is should we move Suarez to the wing to make way for Sturridge up front?
Brendan said before the signing, no player will decide where they play. Yet he's willing to risk ending Suarez's form of his career for Sturridge who is yet to prove himself in the league as a regular goal scorer.

My opinion is Sturridge is a 1 goal in 3 games striker at best, Suarez is scoring for fun consistantly...

SO WHAT THE HELL IS BRENDAN PLAYIN' AT??!! :evil:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 pm

RvP
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Davey1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02 am

Any reason?
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Gazza-LFC » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:04 am

Totally different players so difficult to compare,RVP is a finisher whereas Suarez is more of a deep lying creative striker...technically Suarez wipes the floor with RVP but as a finisher RVP wipes the floor with Suarez...

If both were playing in the same team then Suarez would be the better player so right now RVP is gonna stand out more than Suarez...

If i was building a team and had to choose between both and both were bang in form i'd choose Suarez as he is a more all round player and creates much more.

As for moving Suarez to the wing well then Rodgers may aswell put him at left back to cover Enrique's position...Suarez is a striker and not a winger,he drops deep to link with the midfielders,having him out wide he would be away from the ball too much and the game would pass him by....very wrong move if Rodgers is thinking this.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 am

Davey1 wrote:Any reason?

They both seem to be about equally important to their teams, so since Man U have a better team than Liverpool, I would conclude that he is probably the better.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Tipster » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 am

Suarez. VP hasn't always been a top goalscorer as he was played out on the left wing.

Suarez scores goals for a lesser team. Some might now call them a mid table team.

VP is all about the technical talent, and touch, as we saw today, while Suarez is all about the dribbling, amongst other things.

As Suarez is a very good dribbler, he would be a wise choice to play out wide. Personally though, I wouldn't play him out wide, while having Sturridge in the centre. Sturridge would have to go out wide on the left, or as part of a front 2.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 am

NickKIELCEPoland wrote:

They both seem to be about equally important to their teams, so since Man U have a better team than Liverpool, I would conclude that he is probably the better.

That must mean Carrick is better than Gerrard. :lol:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Davey1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 am

Some interesting points.

Van Persie was switched to a centre forward from the wing, after Henry moved on and he played the role Suarez plays now. If Rodgers just stuck with our top goal scorer at centre, he might go down the same route and over the years, his finishing will only improve.

I have no doubt Suarez can operate from the wing as he was played there from time to time for Ajax.
I just don't understand why you would switch a players position when it doesn't need switching.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:46 am

Davey1 wrote:
NickKIELCEPoland wrote:

Why?
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Davey1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:09 am

NickKIELCEPoland wrote:
Davey1 wrote:
NickKIELCEPoland wrote:

Why?

Because claiming one player is better than another by the club he is at is ridiculous, imo. No offence.

The reason why i started this topic is because i watch every Liverpool game and i see how hard Suarez works, how well he plays on and off the ball, looking to create, play deep, run the channels and beat the last man and score. Then i watch Van Persie and some times, not always but sometimes, he goes a whole game doing nothing then gets one good chance and scores.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just not sure what you mean.

Van Persie is a quality striker and has been for quite a while.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:15 am

Davey1 wrote:
NickKIELCEPoland wrote:
Davey1 wrote:
NickKIELCEPoland wrote:

Why?

Because claiming one player is better than another by the club he is at is ridiculous, imo. No offence.

The reason why i started this topic is because i watch every Liverpool game and i see how hard Suarez works, how well he plays on and off the ball, looking to create, play deep, run the channels and beat the last man and score. Then i watch Van Persie and some times, not always but sometimes, he goes a whole game doing nothing then gets one good chance and scores.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just not sure what you mean.

Van Persie is a quality striker and has been for quite a while.

Start reading properly. I said that they were both equally important for their club, and therefore the quality of the team is what counts. Call my reasoning ridiculous, but at least quote me correctly.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Davey1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 am

Again- Ridiculous.

Either you mean both are equally talented and their is nothing seperating them

or

Van Persie is better because he is with the league's runners up and Suarez is with 8th placed Liverpool?

Your statement contradicts itself, my friend.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 am

Davey1 wrote:Again- Ridiculous.

Either you mean both are equally talented and their is nothing seperating them

or

Van Persie is better because he is with the league's runners up and Suarez is with 8th placed Liverpool?

Your statement contradicts itself, my friend.

No, I mean they are equally important to their respective teams, and since one of the teams is much better than the other, then that team's player is very likely to be the better.

You clearly don't understand what I mean from the above post, but I'll content myself in the knowledge that I am sure that no one else will have trouble understanding.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Gazza-LFC » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Davey1 wrote:Some interesting points.

Van Persie was switched to a centre forward from the wing, after Henry moved on and he played the role Suarez plays now. If Rodgers just stuck with our top goal scorer at centre, he might go down the same route and over the years, his finishing will only improve.

I have no doubt Suarez can operate from the wing as he was played there from time to time for Ajax.
I just don't understand why you would switch a players position when it doesn't need switching.

No disrespect to Dutch football but Suarez scoring goals and playing well on the wing for Ajax means nothing really,he's playing against much tougher defences in the Premier League...

I can't recall which game it was at the beginning of the season but Rodgers played Suarez out wide and Borini up front,after a short while it wasn't working and Suarez was too quiet and he was getting frustrated so Rodgers switched them back...

If he puts Suarez out wide to play Sturridge up front then we are in serious trouble.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Davey1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Yeah, true. Kuyt was top scorer in Holland so it's not exactly a hard task to score from the wing.

I just meant he's played in that role in the past, so he wont be completely useless, just not as affective.
Both strikers scored today for Liverpool, both from centre forward position.

It was a Europa League qualifying match. Can't remember who they were but Borini was switched to the wing for Suarez and Suarez scored moments later. I can see it happening again, tbh.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Super Mario10 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Well i picked rvp before even reading your question , but after reading it properly i would choose suarez for the because of his age...Suarez although not slow does not rely on pace at all its all about the football brain with this kid...

Although rvp is the much much better finisher for me suarez will only get better and will eclipse rvp when both their respective playing day's come to an end....

In regards to suarez playing on the wing i pray this does not happen as suarez through the middle is a nightmare for the centre backs , he drags them all over the place and i am somewhat suprised our wingers have not benefited more from his outstanding runs and postional accuracy...
Super Mario10
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm

So i think everyone would agree, when it comes to needing a goal scorer, the obvious choice would be Van Persie.
For technique, team performance and potential, Suarez is the obvious choice.

It's hard to believe a team struggling to get into the top 4 could have a player of Suarez's calibre.
Most strikers would be looking for the exit and into a massive move motivated by the bank account.

With all the media hate and abuse Liverpool get aimed at Suarez, i wouldn't swap him for anyone in the PL.

I hope one day we'll return to the Champions League and Suarez will be where he deserves, playing against the best teams in the world for the best cup in the world.

One day when Suarez leaves or retires, the whole country will miss a talent like him and hopefully they'll give him the credit he deserves. Rather than the negative circulation of hate.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby mrtz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:52 pm

Well the hate is a bit self-inflicted, but I don't think anyone in their right minds would question his ability.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm

My question is who would you rather have, considering age, ability and potential?

i would have Robin Van Persie in my team as i believe he is a better player ..in terms of ability to finish ...consistency and skill plus potential , Van Persie would have been even better but for his injuries while with Arsenal ...the comparison between Van Persie and Suarez at the same age is irrelevant and not really fair as they would have been in totally different seasons .

Luis Suarez is a great player ..but in my opinion not as good as Van Persie .

Second question is should we move Suarez to the wing to make way for Sturridge up front?

I think the sensible thing is the old saying ..if it aint broken , dont try to fix it . If Suarez is scoring like clockwork right now ...keep him wound up , Sturridge should be given a chance but not if it upsets the form of Surez ...only time will tell i guess .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 am

I agree, Mrtz, it's self inflicted but it's amplified by the media.

I would have to agree with you on that, Conner. Van Persie did have a lot of injuries that stopped his scoring form on and off. He was out for 3 months at one point.

With Suarez on the wing i hope he stays close, like Sterling. Not stretch our attack like Downing does. Unless he's pulling players out, which he does anywhere he is. :)

I hope we don't see another Cisse/Ba situation. Ba scored 15 goals last season then was moved to the left for Pappis Cisse and Ba didn't really have the same affect after that.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League