Aston Villa v Liverpool

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Aston Villa v Liverpool

Postby Conner99 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Aston Villa won a crucial game against bottom of the table QPR ....it finished 3-2 and moved them 6 pts clear of the relegation zone , manager Paul Lambert said he was not unduly worried about `the drop` before kick-off , but he praised his side as `excellent` and knows they will have to keep playing like that for a few more games to make sure of their Premier League status for next season .

Liverpool crashed to a 3-1 defeat at Southampton and put a big dent in their hopes of a place in Europe next season , manager Brendan Rodgers was not happy by his team`s performance .."It certainly wasn't how we have been playing in the past few weeks.We didn't get going until it was 2-0 down. We conceded poor goals which has been unlike us and we are disappointed at that."We never really got started. It certainly wasn't the level we have been at and it was one of those days for us
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:12 am

Hoping the reds can bounce straight back after their humiliating defeat at the hands
of Southampton ,I just hope Rodgers has learnt a two man midfield is certainly not
conducive to a team that has pretensions of dictating the play and retaining the lions
share of possession.

0-1 to the reds ,but it will be an extremely difficult game as Lambert finally has Villa
playing some decent football,and more importantly winning football .
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 am

Did you know that Paul Lambert has won all three of his Premier League games against Brendan Rodgers; against no other manager has he secured as many wins.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Conner99 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 am

redpelt wrote:Hoping the reds can bounce straight back after their humiliating defeat at the hands
of Southampton .

yes...Brendan Rodgers has certainly still got some work to do at Liverpool , a fine win over a Tottenham side who were playing as well as they ever have ....then a very poor display against Southampton losing the game in the process .

He said after the Spurs game they had made progress , he tends to put his foot in it sometimes ... :wink:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Conner99 wrote:
redpelt wrote:Hoping the reds can bounce straight back after their humiliating defeat at the hands
of Southampton .

yes...Brendan Rodgers has certainly still got some work to do at Liverpool , a fine win over a Tottenham side who were playing as well as they ever have ....then a very poor display against Southampton losing the game in the process .

He said after the Spurs game they had made progress , he tends to put his foot in it sometimes ... :wink:

Liverpool's game is just rife with inconsistencies right now ,and I don't think even Rodgers knows his best formation yet. I just wish in his interviews he would be measured rather than seemingly duty bound in his insistence the reds are not far off being a top four side ,when the truth to any Liverpool supporter is that its about having patience and playing the long game in biding our time ,it will all fall into place sooner or later. I just wish he would acknowledge that the fans will gladly afford him the time without him making ridiculous assumptions .
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 pm

of course Villa are trying to do the double over Liverpool following their surprise win at Anfield back in December ...West Brom and Man Utd have both done the double over Liverpool this season ....can Villa make it number three .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:31 pm

I can see Benteke man handling all our defence again,surely he will be confident of doing it again...the only confidence i have is that Villa are also poor in defence so Suarez may get plenty of chances if our midfield show up and support him unlike at Southampton..

It's difficult to predict a Liverpool result with how inconsistent we are but i'll give it a go and say 2-1 Villa....Benteke will be the key man in this game and i can't see how we can stop him.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 am

Aston Villa have dropped back into the bottom 3 but can climb back out with a draw although I'm sure they will want all 3 points.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Line ups

Aston Villa:
Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar [c], Baker, Bennett, Westwood, Bannan, Sylla, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Benteke..

subs: Given, N'Zogbia, Delph, Dawkins, El Ahmadi, Bowery, Lichaj

Liverpool:
Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Carragher, Agger, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Coutinho, Downing, Suarez..

subs: Jones, Coates, Skrtel, Shelvey, Sterling, Suso, Sturridge
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:27 pm

HT

Aston Villa 1-0 Liverpool

Benteke 31'
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Phew! It was clearly the right decision to play Henderson today. Henderson and Coutinho were fantastic and Gerrard was superb. Probably the match winner for me, defensively and attackively.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:52 pm

FT

Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool
1-0 Benteke 31'
1-1 Henderson 47'
1-2 Gerrard 60’ (pen.)

I also agree that Gerrard was excellent today.

Especially when he headed Benteke's header off the line.

Any comments on todays Liverpool victory?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 pm

First half we were poor as we sat too deep and never once supported Suarez,second half we changed it and gave Gerrard and Henderson more freedom to go forward and this resulted in Henderson's quality finish aswell as Coutinho linking up with Gerrard and Henderson...once we changed we pushed Villa back and they never got the chance to support Benteke and Agbonlahor..

Good result and very good 2nd half performance.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:15 pm

Just got back from Villa Park ,would have been back sooner only with it being my
turn to be the designated driver, and what with my luck just getting worse with
every passing week, some dozy lummox decided that today would be a good time
to try and fit his car into my boot and shunted me at the traffic lights,needless to
say leaving me with three disgruntled and less than amused passengers .

Anyway enough about my day,lets talk about our performance specifically that of
Henderson and the absolute precision of Coutinho's sumptuous through ball for our
first goal,and then Henderson finishing with the finesse of Dalglish in his pomp.

Lets completely ignore our first half performance where if it wasn't for some woeful
finishing Villa would have finished the first half 2 goals up ,and have been every bit
worth their scoreline .

Lets simply forget the complete plethora of head scratching we the travelling fans
had to get through with Rodgers decision to leave Downing on the field :?:

Maybe we should forget about the rigidity of our first half game plan in being solely
reliant on finding Suarez and then expecting him to conjure up a goal ? Or Gerrard's
game drastically improving after his argument with the referee,whilst its always nice
to see our captain and leader grab the game by the scruff of the neck ,it would be
nice if he could maybe move it up a notch with the same conviction just to justify
the title of Captain.

Jamie Carragher marshalled Benteke superbly and if not for Johnson failing to make
any sort of interception and Jamie being thrown by this just enough to allow Benteke
to get his shot off ,then he would have been my star man,as it stands that honour
goes to the energy and all round running of the innovative Henderson.

On 19 minutes Villa Park and both sets of fans stood and applauded Petrov ,which
really does make football seem quite insignificant when balanced against the life of
another human being.

Well anyway, up early tomorrow so will leave it there.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Hams wrote:FT

Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool
1-0 Benteke 31'
1-1 Henderson 47'
1-2 Gerrard 60’ (pen.)

I also agree that Gerrard was excellent today.

Especially when he headed Benteke's header off the line.

Any comments on todays Liverpool victory?

Wigan fans I`m sure appreciated the result ... :wink:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League