Martin O'Neill Gets The Boot

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Martin O'Neill Gets The Boot

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:58 pm

So Sunderland are the latest to press the panic button. I'm a Celtic fan, so I've always had tremendous respect for O'Neill, though it is clear his team has struggled this season. I say he is quality despite this blot on his CV. Any takers for a new manager?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:08 am

Its not looking good for the North East at the moment with Sundeland,Newcastle and Middlesbrough all doing badly!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Paolo Di Canio is reported to be traveling to Sunderland to discuss becoming their next manager.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:46 pm

Hams wrote:Paolo Di Canio is reported to be traveling to Sunderland to discuss becoming their next manager.

What an absolute legend. I love his poor attitude, if he's at the stadium of light next season, i can't wait for his diva tantrums to start. Most red cards for Sunderland next season, if he's coaching them to tackle. :lol:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Tipster » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:01 pm

Martin O'Neil, for the rest of his career, will remain a top quality manager.

They have been doing badly, but I don't rate the squad at all, and it's their true position in the premier league. Fair enough, they have one or two good offensive players, but that squad needs heavy investment.

In a way, he should take responsibility for not buying more players as opposed to getting Johnson (who is a great player) and also Fletcher. Fletcher was worth it, just about, but they should have improved the squad more with the amount of money spent.

Very sad to see him go, but hope Di Canio can save them from relegation. Will be funny to see his antics in the premier league next season.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Its official!

Paolo Di Canio has been appointed as Sunderland's new manager on a 2 and half year deal.

Can he save them from relegation?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Klaas Bruinsma » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 am

No. Because Martinez will save Wigan :)
Klaas Bruinsma
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Pickleman1967 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 am

I think the two and a half year contract for Di Canio is a substancial gamble by Sunderland. If they go down this season, and Di Canio's fire cracker temperanent doesn't work the magic they are hoping for what next? Another large payout (and I'm thinking sacking O'Neill would have cost them a good few million), followed by another 'hopeful' on the moving conveyor of managers? Shades of Blackburn? I'd have at least put some contingency clauses in the contract, in case they get relegated this season and go into freefall.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby BMJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:03 am

One of my favourite footballers when i was growing up and certainly brings a no nonsense attitude to football management.

But,

It must be said, he is a horrible horrible man with backward views and a fascist.

If I were a Sunderland supporter I would hand in my season membership and would never go to a game while he is in charge.

Perhaps it is Englands turn to explain to everyone else how the hell someone with Di Canio's views could be manager of a top flight club.

It's disgraceful.
BMJ
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 am

BMJ wrote:Perhaps it is Englands turn to explain to everyone else how the hell someone with Di Canio's views could be manager of a top flight club.

It's disgraceful.

but it's fine for him to be manager of a League One club?

i'm confused with your opinion here.

should all managers be vetted with a lie detector where we determine their true political beliefs?

Di Canio has been refreshingly honest with his views and people are entitled to judge him whatever way they like. he doesn't hide behind anything. what are the political views of Arsene Wenger? or Alex Ferguson? or Rafa Benitez?
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby BMJ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 am

Steely Hill wrote:
BMJ wrote:Perhaps it is Englands turn to explain to everyone else how the hell someone with Di Canio's views could be manager of a top flight club.

It's disgraceful.

but it's fine for him to be manager of a League One club?

i'm confused with your opinion here.

should all managers be vetted with a lie detector where we determine their true political beliefs?

Di Canio has been refreshingly honest with his views and people are entitled to judge him whatever way they like. he doesn't hide behind anything. what are the political views of Arsene Wenger? or Alex Ferguson? or Rafa Benitez?

He can manage where ever he wants, but it makes Englands pontification to the rest of Europe about crowd behaviour and so on a complete joke.

Di Canio has made his political feelings known to the public and has discussed them on numerous occasions as you well know. Wenger, Fegurson and Benitez have not. He has made it an issue to align himself with fascism and be public about his ideology.

Let's be clear here, Fascism is illegal in countries like Italy and Germany. That's a fact.

Let's be clear again. One of Di Canio's most famous quotes is that he is a fascist, not a racist. It's truly laughable it's like a guy saying he takes it up the butt from blokes but is not gay.

Fascists are racist by definition.
BMJ
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:11 am

condemning other people for racism has absolutely no relevance to the political leanings of Paolo Di Canio or the fact he is a football manager.

Di Canio has discussed politics when he has been asked about it. he has never pushed an agenda or forced his opinions down anyones throats. perhaps his only mistake was to be honest and speak his mind. maybe he should have been a PR robot like many other managers.

i disagree that fascists are racists by definition and so on that fundamental principle it is clear this will remain a pointles discussion.

there is not a single example you can point to of Di Canio being racist, nor has there ever been a hint of complaint form the many different ethnicities he has played with and against. it is a hollow 'black and white' position you're coming at this in.

Di Canio's fascism is one of Nationalism, not racism.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 am

Front page news!

Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:18 pm

typically laughable headline from the Sun.

the thing is, he has explained it 8 years ago.

it makes me laugh how that gesture instantly makes him 'racist' in the eyes of some.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Isn't it the left arm?
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby specnur » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't know if Di Canio is a racist ,but i know i wouldn't have him manage any club i'm in.I'm not a violent bloke but I think would punch his face in if he treated me like some of the black players he treated in his league one team. I do think he definitely knows football ,his man management skills are up in the air for me though.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm

specnur wrote:I don't know if Di Canio is a racist ,but i know i wouldn't have him manage any club i'm in.I'm not a violent bloke but I think would punch his face in if he treated me like some of the black players he treated in his league one team. I do think he definitely knows football ,his man management skills are up in the air for me though.

there was one incident with Leon Clarke. what other black players are you talking about?

similarly, the pasty faced goalkeeper got similar treatment from Di Canio so to insinuate he treated players differently based on skin colour is simply wrong.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Bren10 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Why on earth is this an issue now? It wasn't a problem in league one but it is in the prem? And to top it off its brought to light by a politician exiting a post he was already leaving, why do people pay attention to these idiots still? Miliband grabbing some publicity the only way he is able to, off the back of someone else.
I by no way or means agree with Di Canios political views and by being affiliated with them he is a t**t but I really find it annoying we believe we can pick and choose when it becomes an issue.
Bren10

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree with comments above that say his political views shouldn't influence opinion on him as a football manager. Keep politics out of sport I say. Di Canio claims to be a fascist, once upon a time that tern wasn't a dirty word but it has become almost synonymous with rascist in the UK. As long as the man isn't rascist I don't really have a problem with him.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
specnur wrote:I don't know if Di Canio is a racist ,but i know i wouldn't have him manage any club i'm in.I'm not a violent bloke but I think would punch his face in if he treated me like some of the black players he treated in his league one team. I do think he definitely knows football ,his man management skills are up in the air for me though.

there was one incident with Leon Clarke. what other black players are you talking about?

similarly, the pasty faced goalkeeper got similar treatment from Di Canio so to insinuate he treated players differently based on skin colour is simply wrong.

The goalie!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League