Europa League - Quarter finals 2012/13

Sevilla beat Benfica 4-2 on Pens in Turin to win this competition for the third time in the last 9 years.

Moderator: Moderators

Europa League - Quarter finals 2012/13

Postby Hams » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Aggr. Chelsea Rubin Kazan'
Thu 04/04/13 Chelsea 20 : 05 Rubin Kazan'
Thu 11/04/13 Rubin Kazan' 17 : 00 Chelsea

Aggr. Tottenham Hotspur Basel
Thu 04/04/13 Tottenham Hotspur 20 : 05 Basel
Thu 11/04/13 Basel 21 : 05 Tottenham Hotspur

Aggr. Fenerbahçe Lazio
Thu 04/04/13 Fenerbahçe 20 : 05 Lazio
Thu 11/04/13 Lazio 20 : 05 Fenerbahçe

Aggr. Benfica Newcastle United
Thu 04/04/13 Benfica 20 : 05 Newcastle United
Thu 11/04/13 Newcastle United 20 : 05 Benfica
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby redpelt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Benfica 1 Newcastle 1

Good solid first 30 minutes from Newcastle ,but then Benfica were playing like a team of
strangers with their wingers losing the ball and hitting stray passes all over the place.
I have however been impressed by the young Gomez in the centre of the midfield who
looks a very capable classy player when playing alongside Matic.

Santon for Newcastle has been largely influential in thwarting Benfica's attacking down
the flanks ,or that could just be that Ola John has been absolute gash for the hosts.

Good game ,and I hope Newcastle hold out ,but Benfica's wingers couldn't have played
any worse if they had been wearing lead boots in that first half.

Benfica's most ardent fans look clearly unhappy at what's unfolding on the pitch.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Final score : Benfica 3 Newcastle 1

Self implosion the Newcastle way ,I must have put the mockers on Santon by lauding his first
half performance ,as he gifted Benfica their second with a ridiculous back pass that Benfica's
Lima intercepted and finished with aplomb .Then Taylor decides to add significantly to Newcastle's
dilemma by hand balling a cross in the box and Benfica after much deliberation are awarded what
under close inspection looks a deserved penalty.

Cardoso scores ,but then because of an infringement is made to take the penalty again ,the
clinical Paraguayan dispatches with arrogant panache.... Newcastle have it all to do at St James's.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm not unhappy with the Desmond seeing as we were 2 down and looking vunerable in the first half, though I am worried about Bale's injury - looked nasty. Not a great performance, and the away tie won't be easy with a team as lively and pacey as Basle. They cut through our midfield with worrying ease throughout the game, the bearded one needs to get that sorted for the second leg.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Almeida » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:10 pm

i've no idea how that wooden clown in the black mask was allowed to score twice. pathetic from rubin Image the difference in class was so big and apparent, almost embarassing. chelsea always surprise me with the ease they outplay such teams. they dont show any special and look almost lazy, yet somehow score.
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Almeida » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:I'm not unhappy with the Desmond seeing as we were 2 down and looking vunerable in the first half, though I am worried about Bale's injury - looked nasty. Not a great performance, and the away tie won't be easy with a team as lively and pacey as Basle. They cut through our midfield with worrying ease throughout the game, the bearded one needs to get that sorted for the second leg.

at home bazel play even better. i think spurs have lost the tie, to be honest, by not winning their home match. but cheers picke. everything possible in this game! :D
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:53 pm

1st leg results

FT Chelsea 3 - 1 Rubin Kazan'
FT Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 2 Basel
FT Fenerbahçe 2 - 0 Lazio
FT Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United

I was really impressed with how well Basel played at White Hart Lane and in the Egypt winger Mo Salah they have a real star of the future!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Chelsea 3-1 Rubin Kazan.

I thought Chelsea were very unlucky to concede that penalty to Kazan just before the end of 1st half.

The Rubin player blasted the ball right at John Terry who had his arms down and no chance to get out they way!

For the referee to then give him a yellow card also was very harsh on the Chelsea captain.

When the Blues were 2-1 up they did fall asleep as the Russians could have leveled but Rondon missed a good chance.

There could have also been another penalty awarded against the former England skipper but this time he got away with it.

It was a good header by the man in the mask to make it 3-1 and Torres can still have a big impact in this competition.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Almeida » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:42 am

Hams wrote:Chelsea 3-1 Rubin Kazan.

I thought Chelsea were very unlucky to concede that penalty to Kazan just before the end of 1st half.

hardly was it just bad luck. but it seems like the conspiracy against english clubs still continues. a purely thought out penalty

The Rubin player blasted the ball right at John Terry who had his arms down and no chance to get out they way!

agree

For the referee to then give him a yellow card also was very harsh on the Chelsea captain.

obviously he thought if he had given a thought out penalty he also needed to justify and back this decision somehow

When the Blues were 2-1 up they did fall asleep as the Russians could have leveled but Rondon missed a good chance.

the only chance they created in the second half. not even chance, HALF a chance with chelski playing half strength and zero pace football at that!

There could have also been another penalty awarded against the former England skipper but this time he got away with it.

and this time it was an unambiguous one. i have no griefs that he didnt blow the whistle on the occasion, but all this led to the 3d chelsea's goal eventually which is not good. yet, that's how justice was done!

It was a good header by the man in the mask to make it 3-1 and Torres can still have a big impact in this competition.

it seemed like that first ridiculous (in terms of defence) goal had done a world of good to him as he looked quite confident again with the ball for the first time since the world cup 2010 ffs!! as for the header, it was like in a training session. in fact, the whole game looked like it was just a boring and routine training practice for chelsea. maybe that's why they allowed themselves to give the ball away so often in the midfield

all is over for rubin... and somehow i dont give a crap. to be honest, during the game i even asked myself why i bother watching it at all. i would rather have watched spurs game instead. never liked this rubin team since they lost semak, bukharov and dominges.
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am

Have just seen the Benfica v Newcastle and Fenerbahce v Lazio highlights.

Newcastle seemed to start their game very well and it was a very good cross by Simpson to set up Cisse.

I guess it was a fair score at 1-1 when both sides went in for the break but what happened in the 2nd period?

It was a criminal back pass from Santon which let in Lima to score and then Taylor gave away the penalty to make it 3-1.

I think the Toon were unlucky not to score another one with their Sengal striker hitting the post twice and looking dangerous.

I was delighted that Lazio lost 2-0 to Fenerbahce as the Italians racist fans have been a disgrace to this competition.

The Turks who have never been to the quarter finals only took control when the Rome side went down to 10 men.

It looks like the 2 former Liverpool players in Raul Mereles and Dirk Kuyt have both settled in very well since moving there.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Hams wrote:Have just seen the Benfica v Newcastle and Fenerbahce v Lazio highlights.

Newcastle seemed to start their game very well and it was a very good cross by Simpson to set up Cisse.

I guess it was a fair score at 1-1 when both sides went in for the break but what happened in the 2nd period?

It was a criminal back pass from Santon which let in Lima to score and then Taylor gave away the penalty to make it 3-1.

I think the Toon were unlucky not to score another one with their Sengal striker hitting the post twice and looking dangerous.

I was delighted that Lazio lost 2-0 to Fenerbahce as the Italians racist fans have been a disgrace to this competition.

The Turks who have never been to the quarter finals only took control when the Rome side went down to 10 men.

It looks like the 2 former Liverpool players in Raul Mereles and Dirk Kuyt have both settled in very well since moving there.

Did you see the barnet on Meireles ? I think he should bite the bullet and shave the lot off ,my wife
wouldn't let me out the house if I sported that follicular mess.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:12 pm

FT Rubin Kazan' 3 - 2 Chelsea

Chelsea go through to the semi finals 5-4 on Aggregate!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 pm

FT Basel P 2 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur
FT Lazio 1 - 1 Fenerbahçe
FT Newcastle United 1 - 1 Benfica

Basel,Fenerbahce and Benfica also go through to the semi finals!

I have really enjoyed watching the Swiss team and in particular their Egyptian winger Mo Salah.

Any comments on tonights results?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Simply » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:12 pm

I was a bit disappointed by the Spurs tonight... I thought they would have dominated this tie, but they didn't..

Both times Basel was the better side and took the deserved win in the end..
...but after all I think Tottenham played a very good Tournament and hopefully return even stronger next season..
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 pm

I imagine we will see Spurs back in the Europa League again next season as I don't think they will finish in the top 4 in the PL.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Almeida » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:06 pm

what a running start that was from adebayor to take that penalty :lol: when a player runs to the ball on the spot in that manner it's more than likely he will mishit. spurs without bale are loike barca without messi, and basel presented a very tough team after all. well done. good example of how to make a decent squad without splashing out the cash. if they go on to knock out chelski, which is quite likely, i will respect them even more.
Almeida
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:08 pm

It really was a terrible penalty by Adebayor and one of the worst I have ever seen in all my years watching football!!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Learning » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 pm

:D It really was terrible from Ade....maybe he inherited the Spurs tradition? :P

I remember Rubin givng us such hard time in the CL not long ago....well done to them...
Learning
World Class
World Class

Postby redpelt » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Almeida wrote:what a running start that was from adebayor to take that penalty :lol: when a player runs to the ball on the spot in that manner it's more than likely he will mishit. spurs without bale are loike barca without messi, and basel presented a very tough team after all. well done. good example of how to make a decent squad without splashing out the cash. if they go on to knock out chelski, which is quite likely, i will respect them even more.

:lol:

I must admit I had a chuckle at his run up ,he looked a cert to miss. I thought Huddleston's was
an equally dispirited attempt. Spurs just don't look as formidable a force shorn of Lennon's and
Bales pace and invention.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Return to UEFA Europa League