Sir Alex Ferguson to retire as Man Utd manager

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Sir Alex Ferguson to retire as Man Utd manager

Postby Hams » Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 am

Sir Alex Ferguson has announced that he is to retire as manager of Man Utd at the end of the season.

The most successful manager in English football history will bow out after the final game at Old Trafford against WBA.

Any comments on this news? Was it the right time for him to call it a day and has he left the club in a great shape?

Who do you think will take over next season? Will it be David Moyes or could even Jose Mourinho already be lined up?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Wed May 08, 2013 10:42 am

A top manager retires, up there in the same league as Paisley, Clough, Mourinho and others.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed May 08, 2013 11:24 am

Definitely the right time to step aside,he has a hip operation coming up which would put him out of the game for a while,plus he knows City will spend big,and then there's a certain Mourinho returning to Chelsea..

Leaving United as champions is the best option....and if the next manager doesn't cut it then Fergie can step in and save the day and be the hero all over again without any pressure.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm

All PL fixtures this weekend will have an extra 2 minutes Fergie time added on at the end in tribute to the retiring Man Utd manager.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby mrtz » Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Love him or hate him, gotta respect his record.

He's leaving as a champion, with a team in pretty healthy standing, and still in decent health. As Gazza said, if the successor struggles he can come and swoop in as the hero.

I applaud all his accomplishments and wish his successors nothing but losses and failure. :lol:
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed May 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Breaking news!

According to Talksport radio David Moyes is set to be the next Man Utd manager.

He could even be in charge for Saturdays home game against Swansea.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Learning » Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 pm

This is huge.... surprising, I guess maybe it was all planned rather than a sudden thing, just didnt want to unsettle the time like the last time he annouced it.

Moyes it is, seems like a safe and stabel option, someone that will listen to him. Im sur eFergie will control affairs from behind the scenes too...

And I miss him already despite hating him for so long, a towering figure in the game, a legend, a big personality.... just wow...

Too bad we wont get to see Mou vs Fergie anymore.
Learning
World Class
World Class

Postby Tipster » Wed May 08, 2013 3:41 pm

I've been watching football since I was something like 6 or 8 years old. In all that time, Sir Alex Ferguson has been manager of Manchester United. I've gone to 3 different schools in that time, gone through puberty (I hope), had a lot of jobs, and also played a lot of football. Just think of the number of birthdays I've had since then, and you start to realise what an achievement that is - actually staying with one club for that length of time.

He could have had a bad season, or two, years ago, but he never did. A bad season for him would be finishing second out of 20 teams. They could have given him time, and a bit more money to turn things around, if he had a bad season, but he didn't.

We all know the Fergie character. Demands the best, and gives this players the hair-dryer treatment when they need to buck their ideas up. There have been a few spats, but no-one has made a mockery of the guy. He has keep his authority amongst the players - as a good boss should do. What memory lives with me is of a very soft and gentle man who accepts that his players cannot always give 100% every week, and a man who is understanding that he cannot win everything. To me, he seems to have got softer in his latter years, away from the hair-dryer, but I've never been in the dressing room to find out. I guess some players have thought they had made it if they ever got a face full of abuse from the man himself.

For me, the thing I will most remember him for is his interviews. A chance for us all to get a look at the man himself. What the players get to see. He answers most questions, and most questions well. Of course, he loved to say a thing or two about the referee, or sometimes be so furious, he'd send out his assistant. You can tell by this that he lived the game that he was managing, just like his players. He accepted the best from the referees, and not just his players. The best thing I remember from his interviews, is his mind games. My god, that made made a comment or two, supplied with the cheekiest of smiles - just to let his opponents know that he would win the battle.

I do watch some European football, but mainly English. To me, for his record alone, he is the greatest ever. I don't know what team other managers had when they were there, years back, but I do know what Sir Alex Ferguson has built over the years (and I do type 'Sir' when I search for him on google - the man deserves it) and it's like when you play football manager for many seasons in the game. You build a team of youngsters, and then when they're old enough, you build a better, younger team. He hasn't done this on some fantasy football game. He's done it in real life.

I'm a Leeds fan, so I'm not allowed to like Manchester United. Or Sir Alex, but I do. The greatest compliment I could give to that guy is that if I want to watch a football match on a Saturday, I would always tune in to watch Manchester United. It shouldn't be like this with them, but they're the greatest counter attacking team I've ever seen. That's what matters - entertaining the crowd. That is what this business is about, and Ferguson is the best business manager around.

Very sad to see him go.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Voice of Reason » Wed May 08, 2013 4:56 pm

As regards Ferguson's health he is always puffing and panting getting to his seat at the Friday press conferences.
Voice of Reason
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby redpelt » Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm

I actually think with the retirement of Ferguson ,we will see in some small way the end
of the intense rivalry between Liverpool and United. So in truth, although I would love
to see the back of the man ,my sentiments are somehow tinged with sadness,as matches
between us just wont feel the same bereft of the cantankerous old clock watcher.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

redpelt wrote:I actually think with the retirement of Ferguson ,we will see in some small way the end
of the intense rivalry between Liverpool and United. So in truth, although I would love
to see the back of the man ,my sentiments are somehow tinged with sadness,as matches
between us just wont feel the same bereft of the cantankerous old clock watcher.

I agree with this to a point...but it does depend on who comes in..

If Mourinho comes in then we all know about him and Liverpool in the past.....the rivalry could become even more intense.

If Moyes gets it then although he's a fiery scotsman he's more laid back than Fergie so the rivalry may die down a touch as you say.

It will be interesting as a Liverpool fan seeing both our rivals having to start again with new managers....we can sit back for once and hopefully watch their worlds start to fall apart.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Gazza-LFC wrote:
redpelt wrote:I actually think with the retirement of Ferguson ,we will see in some small way the end

I agree with this to a point...but it does depend on who comes in..

If Mourinho comes in then we all know about him and Liverpool in the past.....the rivalry could become even more intense.

If Moyes gets it then although he's a fiery scotsman he's more laid back than Fergie so the rivalry may die down a touch as you say.

It will be interesting as a Liverpool fan seeing both our rivals having to start again with new managers....we can sit back for once and hopefully watch their worlds start to fall apart.

I don't believe the rivalry between us and Chelsea was ever comparable with United
mate, that said if Moyes leaves the bitterz no doubt the local derbies will still retain
their intensity .

I just think United virtually starting again leaves behind the lineage of Ferguson's
unattested success ,the man was a veritable beacon for all the things detestable
about United and their hardcore support. Its no secret he always valued highly
the importance of a Liverpool United match ,and never underplayed its significance
to both sets of fans. Mourinho is a good manager ,but I firmly believe his star is on
the wane ,in retrospect if they opt for Moyes then their fans will need patience
something they have certainly not been synonymous with in the past .
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed May 08, 2013 6:08 pm

No mate i never meant Chelsea's rivalry was anywhere near as intense or big as United's...i just meant that Liverpool and United's rivalry is massive....throw in Mourinho and it becomes even more tastier as we all know what he was like with us.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Wed May 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Gazza-LFC wrote:No mate i never meant Chelsea's rivalry was anywhere near as intense or big as United's...i just meant that Liverpool and United's rivalry is massive....throw in Mourinho and it becomes even more tastier as we all know what he was like with us.

Mourinho/Glazers has disaster stamped all over it ,Mourinho is a strong willed character who is
certainly not renowned for his longevity at clubs. If its Moyes then patience will be key,especially
if a limited amount of transfer funds are thrown at him. I honestly don't think any manager will
stop the likes of Chelsea and City next season ,so Moyes job may just be a thankless task in terms
of the supporters affording him the forbearance to let him grow.

We shall see mate ,but something that's not in doubt is football ,especially the rivalry ,because it will
be significantly poorer with his stepping up top. Bobby Charlton he's not ,and the media will hang on
his every word ,something also detrimental to any new manager willing to step into his brogues.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm

One thing for sure is it's gonna be interesting next season.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Alan42 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Thatcher dies and Ferguson retires. Somewhere there is a scouser with a lamp and one wish left. :D
Alan42
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Alan42 wrote:Thatcher dies and Ferguson retires. Somewhere there is a scouser with a lamp and one wish left. :D

:lol:
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby NickKIELCEPoland » Wed May 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Tipster wrote: The greatest compliment I could give to that guy is that if I want to watch a football match on a Saturday, I would always tune in to watch Manchester United

I can't understand why. Chelsea, Man U, Man City, if they aren't playing each other, I find the matches boring, since they are so predictable. If they aren't playing each other, I always opt for any other match.
NickKIELCEPoland
Banned
Banned

Postby Conner99 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:55 pm

I can only smile at the news of Sir Alex retiring ...it will give the rest of us a better chance to win something , but for Sir Alex we would have won many more Premier League titles over the last ten years . He is truly a one off ...no one will ever get close to what he has achieved in british football , to be able to compete year after year for ever4 major trophy on offer is simply incredible .

If David Moyes does take over he will face an impossible task ...but then again football a funny old game ..
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am

if Man United actually employ the draw merchant Moyes i will be staggered.

i'll go a lump a wedge of money on Chelsea or Man City to win the league next year.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League