A retrospective look - my club in 2012-2013

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

A retrospective look - my club in 2012-2013

Postby mrtz » Mon May 20, 2013 2:35 pm

So now that the dust is settling, time to look back and speculate on what could have been.

What did you think of your club's performance this season? Did last summer provide the necessary reinforcements to take your team to the next level? Did your superstars live up to the challenge? Any youngsters show promise? How did your manager do? Did you expect your team to finish where they did? All that and more...

Discuss.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Season expectations

Our aim was to rebuild and give Brendan Rodgers time to build the squad and playing style his own way,i thought the fans got behind him and the last part of the season his playing style is starting to show a lot of promise...i expected us to finish 5th so to finish 7th was disappointing but the football played and youngsters coming through makes it much easier.

New signings

Joe Allen - Started superbly and looked every inch the type of technically gifted player we have been missing in the centre of midfield,lacked confidence towards the end though but his early promise looks good..

Fabio Borini - He has struggled to find any form and big injuries haven't helped,looking for a much more improved second season from him.

Oussama Assaidi
- Shows great speed and technique when he plays but he's suffered first season syndrome like many foreign players do,just hasn't got used to the pace and physical part of the Premier League.

Daniel Sturridge - Has slotted into his new life perfectly and very quickly and looks like a superb signing from Rodgers,his finishing and pace is superb and he links well with Suarez and Coutinho perfectly...looking forward to seeing him have a full season at Liverpool..

Coutinho - Wow!! - I could honestly fill the whole page about this lad,has to be one of our best signings ever and he's only been here since January,this lad oozes technical ability as well as vision and makes it look easy,if we can keep hold of him he will go down as a Liverpool legend without a doubt....quality player and like Sturridge i can't wait to see him once he has a full pre-season..

Nuri Sahin - It's easy to forget this player as he didn't stay long before we shipped him back to Real Madrid who then shipped him to Dortmund,he's a class player who just didn't settle in England...huge shame..

Superstar

Luis Suarez - Apart from his childish antics he's a world class player who would walk into any team,he makes everything look so easy and his link up play with Coutinho,Sturridge and Gerrard was looking very promising before he was banned...he's had another superb season and is getting better....time will tell if he is still gonna be a Liverpool player though.

Youngsters

Raheem Sterling - He had a great start to the season before being rested by Rodgers,full of promise and will be a huge player for us in the coming seasons

Suso - I'm a big fan of this lad,another one who is technically gifted and has great vision,hoping to see much more of him next season as him and Coutinho have potential to rip opposition defences apart.

Jonjo Shelvey - Another lad i am a fan of,he is in the same mould as Gerrard where he can play box to box and is solid in the tackle,also possesses a solid right foot too...looking forward to seeing him progress.

Andre Wisdom - A solid defender in the mould of Micah Richards,has played more games than he probably expected this season and has looked comfortable,very promising player.

Jordon Ibe - Another exciting prospect who only made his debut on the last day,but he will be proud of having an assist too,another one who looks to have great technical ability.

Manager

Brendan Rodgers - A steady building process from Rodgers in his first season and he will now have learnt from many mistakes he has made,his signings have been good and his playing style is looking very exciting and promising,but for me he deserves a lot of praise for the number of youngsters he's given a chance,this will no doubt go down well with every Liverpool fan...looking forward to seeing what he does next season now we have no Europa League distracting us.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Mon May 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Nice one, Gazz! I'll throw in my 2 cents worth later on, but you've wrapped it up nicely.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Good post Gazza, I'll write something similar about West Ham either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 am

West Ham

Season Expectations

All I wanted was for West Ham to avoid relegation in our first season back in the PL but for us to
finish in 10th position was I think a tremendous achievement and something for us to build on next season.

Player of the season
I thought our New Zealand international defender Winston Reid was a revelation at the back and
easily deserved to win the Hammers player of the season award and has been rewarded with a new 2 year contract.

I think our keeper Jussi Jääskeläinen,defenders Guy Demel and James Collins,winger Matt Jarvis,midfielder Mo Diame
of course Andy Carroll who came in on loan all did very well and I hope we can do a deal to sign the Liverpool striker.

Manager
Sam Allardyce has his critics for playing long ball football but I think it is a little unfair as we do mix it up on the field.
His job was to win us promotion and keep us in the PL which he achieved so its only fair that he was offered a new deal.

Next Season
I would be very happy if we finished in mid table again and maybe had a good run in one of the cups.
While we were excellent at Upton Park this season we must improve our away form next year and score some more goals
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed May 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Good post hams...would be good to hear some from the other teams
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Seamus » Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Ross County - I know they are SPL but I love to brag!

Season Expectations

Survival was the name of the game this season but after Rangers were busted down to divison 3 and Dundee came up to the SPL I felt we would have at least 2 seasons in the top flight. Dundee finished 2nd, 24 points behind us last season and had no chance to prepare for top flight football. I would have taken 11th, to finish in the top 5 is amazing. I feel very proud.

Player of the season

Brittain, Boyd and Sproule have all impressed me this season but Ian Vigurs is my choice, he has been immense, I just hope we can hold onto him.

Manager

Derek Adams has taken us from Divison 2 to the top flight (with a brief departure), we had a scare when we thought he might go to Aberdeen but he stayed - the skys the limit!.

Next Season

If we can keep this up then it would be great. I Think if we hold on to our key players we should be okay. For the moment I am happy to say Ross County are one of the top 5 teams in the Country. 15 years ago we weren't even in the Scottish Football league!.
Seamus

Postby OWEN_ENG » Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Nice post Gazza....I agree with the bulk of your post....except for Shelvey...I just don't see him as the quality player with potential that most others do.

I'm happy with our progress considering we only had one striker until the Jan window (borini doesn't count as he just wasn't anywhere near earning a starting 11 position in my opinion).

I'm also a big fan of the manager thus far and believe he is the right guy to bring a trophy to Anfield next season.

Looking forward to seeing Coutinho, Gerrard, Suarez (assuming he stays) and Sturridge continue to gel. It goes without saying but I'm also looking forward to seeing our new signings whoever they may be...hoping for at least a couple experienced/somewhat big name players.
OWEN_ENG
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Gazza-LFC » Thu May 23, 2013 12:15 am

OWEN_ENG wrote:Nice post Gazza....I agree with the bulk of your post....except for Shelvey...I just don't see him as the quality player with potential that most others do.

I'm happy with our progress considering we only had one striker until the Jan window (borini doesn't count as he just wasn't anywhere near earning a starting 11 position in my opinion).

I'm also a big fan of the manager thus far and believe he is the right guy to bring a trophy to Anfield next season.

Looking forward to seeing Coutinho, Gerrard, Suarez (assuming he stays) and Sturridge continue to gel. It goes without saying but I'm also looking forward to seeing our new signings whoever they may be...hoping for at least a couple experienced/somewhat big name players.

All i say is give Shelvey time,he's very raw and inexperienced but if he can't learn from Gerrard then he'll never learn at all.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Thu May 23, 2013 8:09 am

While I'm disappointed that once more we haven't won any trophies, if we can hold on to all of our best players (something we haven't been able to do at season's end for about 6 years) - which according to Wenger we will be, although I would take that with a pinch of salt - we should be in a good position for next season with a few signings.

It's becoming a cliche but with a couple world class players we could be a force next season, will we get them? I'm not so sure. Although despite our lack of trophies this year and last, we sure do like to keep it entertaining towards the end, it's almost as if we're setting Spurs up for a big disappointment each year.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Hams » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Still waiting to read your end of term report Mrtz :wink:
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 am

I tend not to call Arsenal my club ,but it's the one i follow at the moment.
AT the start of the season i couldn't see them qualifying for Europe,there was just no way it should have ben possible with what other teams around them had available in terms of talent. But the the manager and the sole reason for why i follow this team proved me wrong. I doubted his decisions this season in terms of who he bought and they didn't play that well at all ,but they played well enough to qualify when it mattered.
I don't think there is man alive that can doubt Wenger's ability as a manger after this season ,and no other manager on the planet could have gotten that team into the top four in this league not Mourinho, not Fergie, no one! An absolutely incredible accomplishment quite frankly.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Thu May 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Hams wrote:Still waiting to read your end of term report Mrtz :wink:

:lol: Will get to it. I worked through most of the long weekend here. Hopefully it will be better this weekend!
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 pm

well i have followed Arsenal basically all my life ...but only really remember from around 1974 onwards ...apart from the incredible 1989 league title under George Graham ...it has been Arsene Wenger who has transformed Arsenal into the club they are today ...which at the moment is not that great ...i long for the days when we used to scare teams with our football and being beaten was only a rare occasion against teams like Man Utd ...Liverpool.....etc .

Arsene Wenger needs to keep players like Podolski , Giroud and then spend spend spend on further playes who will strengthen the squad and maintain competition for paces in all areas ...it will be difficult though with players being priced at ridiculous levels ....Bale £60 million , Rooney ..£25 million ..even average players are now priced at over £10 million or more ..
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu May 30, 2013 11:24 pm

Conner99 wrote:well i have followed Arsenal basically all my life ...but only really remember from around 1974 onwards ...apart from the incredible 1989 league title under George Graham ...it has been Arsene Wenger who has transformed Arsenal into the club they are today ...which at the moment is not that great ...i long for the days when we used to scare teams with our football and being beaten was only a rare occasion against teams like Man Utd ...Liverpool.....etc .

Arsene Wenger needs to keep players like Podolski , Giroud and then spend spend spend on further playes who will strengthen the squad and maintain competition for paces in all areas ...it will be difficult though with players being priced at ridiculous levels ....Bale £60 million , Rooney ..£25 million ..even average players are now priced at over £10 million or more ..

mate Podolski and Giroud have not been Arsenal quality ,if Wenger keeps them he will have to plan on them being bench players and bring in better.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:11 pm

specnur wrote:
Conner99 wrote:well i have followed Arsenal basically all my life ...but only really remember from around 1974 onwards ...apart from the incredible 1989 league title under George Graham ...it has been Arsene Wenger who has transformed Arsenal into the club they are today ...which at the moment is not that great ...i long for the days when we used to scare teams with our football and being beaten was only a rare occasion against teams like Man Utd ...Liverpool.....etc .

mate Podolski and Giroud have not been Arsenal quality ,if Wenger keeps them he will have to plan on them being bench players and bring in better.

maybe that is a sign of the times ...we do need someone of the quality of Van Persie or as good as Thierry Henry was ...trouble is it will cost upwards of £20 million or more ..I doubt Wenger is keen to pay that kind of money .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 am

We could do with some reports for Man Utd,Man City,Chelsea and Tottenham otherwise might have to write them myself.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Seamus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:46 pm

well since you asked........

Man United

Season Expectations

After throwing away a 4 point lead last year and the terrible results against Everton and Wigan we needed to regain the title this season. After a traditional miserable start we started to pick up the pace and the turning point was the victory over City at the Ethiad, After we moved 6 points clear there was no turning back. The confidence returned and you could see it in the never say die, play til the final whistle performances that are the hallmark of great United sides. Plenty of last minute winners.

Player of the season

RVP - no contest. Jones has a good season and Carrick was back to his best. Kagawa started well but got hampered by injury.

Manager

Bye to the greatest manager English football has ever seen and enter someone who has never won anything in his career!. While I have nothing against Moyes and I am prepared to give him a chance, I cant help feeling we should have attracted someone with a better CV than 'done quite well with a club on a small budget'.

Next Season

If we could just win a trophy that would keep me happy. The FA Cup would be great (haven't won it in a while). The league title may be possible if City and Chelsea spend inwisely. I would like to see us get Bale, if we dangle Rooney in front of Spurs they might go for it - they need a striker. It would be good if Moyes could get us Fellaini and Baines from Everton. I Think if we stray injury free we could be in with a good chance of retaining the title.
Seamus

Return to Barclays Premier League