Arsenal v Aston Villa

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Arsenal v Aston Villa

Postby Conner99 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Arsenal start the new season with a home game against Aston Villa , every Gunners fan will be asking themselves ..is this the season when it will all go right for us , a trophy will finally make it into the Arsenal honours cabinet .? There has been much speculation about if Arsene Wenger will be signing any major players before the season starts ...the answer seems to be no , targets such as Wayne Rooney , Gonzalo Higuain ...Luis Suarez ..have all for one reason or another not happened .

The match again Aston Villa will be a crucial one for Arsene Wenger and his players ....a win is a must as they try to convince the fans they do have what it takes to win a trophy this season .

Aston Villa managed to avoid relegation last season and finished in 15th place in the table , I expect that the board will be wanting a much better finish from manager Paul Lambert this time round . They will after all have striker Christian Benteke to help with that aim as he signed a new contract until 2017 just a few weeks after submitting a transfer request .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

Villa have a horrendous run of fixtures to start the season and i can't see anythign other than a home win.

Arsenal will want to get out of the blocks quickly as their fixture generator has been relatively kind to them which means we could see them riding high around Christmas which will do wonders for confidence etc.

regarding the game itself, it will be bereft of any new faces it seems so players like Giroud and co will look to prove themselves and avoid being replaced by a big name signing which could prove hellish for Villa.

i think a comfortable 3 or 4-0 win is on the cards.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:56 am

Its no surprise that Wenger hasn't made any new signings but I think that the Gunners still have a decent squad.

It will be interesting to see if Benteke does as well for Villa again after he asked to leave during the summer but then signed a new deal.

Arsenal 3-1 Villa
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:38 am

Likewise I can't see anything other than an Arsenal win, we have a strong first eleven which has only improved since last August; we'll only be in trouble if we suffer a couple injuries or if we would like to compete for the title.

3-0 Arsenal
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Teams

Arsenal:
Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Giroud.

Subs: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Frimpong, Cazorla, Gnabry, Podolski, Sanogo.

Aston Villa:
Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Luna, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Delph, Agbonlahor, Benteke, Weimann.

Subs: Steer, Okore, Clark, Bacuna, Helenius, Bowery, Tonev.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Lucky penalty for Benteke, glad Villa have scored though as it makes it more of a game. Arsenal will still win this, Lambert needs to think about getting his team more organised in midfield and defence.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:32 pm

1-2 to Villa? Not a penalty, hard on Arsenal, but cracking game all the same!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:56 pm

1-3 and the Gooners are chanting 'You don't know what you're doing' to Wenger. For ficks sake, it is the first game of the season chaps!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:11 pm

FT

Arsenal 1-3 Aston Villa
1-0 Giroud 6'
1-1 Benteke 23’
1-2 Benteke 62’ (pen.)
1-3 Luna 85'

Sent off - Laurent Koscielny

Any comments on Arsenal's defeat and were the fans right to sing you don't what you're doing to Arsene Wenger?!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Credit to Villa for taking the game to Arsenal, but to say they were lucky would be an understatement. A penalty that wasn't and a sending off that wasn't. I honestly think Arsenal have to put this one down to a bad day at the office. I'm going to listen to Wenger's press statement with interest...
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:14 pm

I'd like to say i'm happy for Villa because they put in a great effort ,but that ref............
I rated this bloke last season fro seemingly reffing without politics and favoritism in big games and looked very sensible,but this game basically undid all that with this one game!
It's been a long time since i had a rant at a ref in an Arsenal game ,because most teams didn't need any help with that squad ,but this was a bad start.
In a way i wanted Arsenal to lose as we need some new players ,but the refs role won't change anything on that front!
what a flipping joke! I hope this isn't a return to those old days of refs v arsenal!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa

Postby Davey1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Conner99 wrote:
The match again Aston Villa will be a crucial one for Arsene Wenger and his players ....a win is a must as they try to convince the fans they do have what it takes to win a trophy this season .

Are you convinced? :lol:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Davey1 wrote:
Conner99 wrote:

Unfortunately Conner has gone away on holiday however I'm sure he will be crying into his beer when he sees the result of this game!

I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights on MOTD to see if Arsenal fans can really have any complaints about the referee.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Snig-89 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 pm

I think it was a good loss for arsenal that will mean they will head to the transfer market, a win and that was the team for the season.

Good Luck Gunners.
Snig-89
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby redpelt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:58 pm

The verbal denigration of Wenger at the end of the game by some
fans was nothing short of disgraceful. A handful of bad decisions
can turn a game in any teams favour,the man works tirelessly
every season to ensure Arsenal finish in the top four,and yet is
still shamelessly barracked by certain sections of Arsenal's
support.

Its the first game of the season ,not ( if you give any credence
to the cat calls) the penultimate one in Arsenals season.

If we had a manager with the capability to finish in the top four
season after season we would have fired up a statue in his name
long before now.

Its time Arsenal fans stood up to be counted, the black cloud
currently enveloping the Library will lift as soon as the support
starts improving.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Hams wrote:
Davey1 wrote:
Conner99 wrote:

Unfortunately Conner has gone away on holiday however I'm sure he will be crying into his beer when he sees the result of this game!

I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights on MOTD to see if Arsenal fans can really have any complaints about the referee.

This result is better for Liverpool because now they know not to underestimate Villa.
Benteke destroyed us last season and we need to contain him. Hopefully Toure can.

Arsenal scored 1 early goal and they should of followed up. Liverpool did the same but were lucky not to pay the price, Arsenal weren't so lucky. There's only so far you can put blame on a referee. The best thing Arsenal can do now is discount this game from their memory and start their season on the next match.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby BMJ » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Panic buy time
BMJ
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:26 am

BMJ wrote:Panic buy time

Can't wait to see another Andre Santos, Gervinho, Chamakh and Arshavin walk through the door. :lol:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:44 am

I have seen the highlights now and think that the referee got most of his decisions
pretty much spot on so Arsenal only have themselves to blame for losing their opening game 3-1 in my view.
Last edited by Hams on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Hams
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League