Aston Villa v Liverpool

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Aston Villa v Liverpool

Postby Conner99 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Aston Villa could not follow up their win over Arsenal as they lost 2-1 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge , Villa did have a few causes to complain though about the result ..Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic got the winner but Villa felt that he should have been sent off for an elbow on Benteke and then they had a late penalty appeal for a handball by John Terry turned down. It will be up to manager Paul Lambert to get his team ready to face Liverpool as they look to get back to winning ways .

Liverpool were well worth the 1-0 win against Stoke ..it was their first opening day win at Anfield since 2001 , the win was thanks to a new summer signing Simon Mignolet ..the former Sunderland keeper produced a brilliant low save to deny Stoke striker Jonathan Walters a late equaliser from the penalty spot , as well as blocking Kenwyne Jones' follow-up.

The result was enough for manager Brendan Rodgers to comment on after the game "that was a great performance from us. I thought the quality of passing and movement was very good and the defensive steel was excellent."
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Nice opening post, Conner.

I'm hoping Villa are tired from playing an extra game. They looked dangerous against 2 strong teams.
We need to get the second goal in this game because I can't see us containing Benteke for the whole 90 minutes.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say 1-2 Liverpool

Benteke
Sturridge
Gerrard
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:54 pm

been surprised by how well Villa have carried themselves with this very difficult start. probably a bit of a siege mentality kicking in and it don't get any easier here.

i'd expect this to be a game of plenty of chances at both ends which could mean a share of the spoils.

1-1 is my prediction.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Rambo1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:03 pm

1-1 I reckon.

Benteke always causes a lot of problems for Liverpool and will probably score.

Sturridge for Liverpool.
Rambo1
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby specnur » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 pm

This is a great game maybe the best of the weekend regardless of the chelsea/man u game!
They both got very busy and mobile players around the pitch and the youth of Villa could test some of Liverpool's older guard ,it should be a a fascinating match that i can't wait to savor!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 am

We've had a history of trouble against big and athletic strikers in the Drogba/Benteke mold.

Hope Toure changes that.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 am

I have been impressed with Aston Villa so far this this season and think they will hold Liverpool to a draw with Benteke scoring their goal.

Aston Villa 1-1 Liverpool
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Teams

Aston Villa:
Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, Bacuna, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Delph, Benteke, Weimann.

Subs: Steer, Clark, El Ahmadi, Helenius, Herd, Sylla, Tonev.

Liverpool:
Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Toure, Agger, Gerrard, Aspas, Coutinho, Henderson, Lucas, Sturridge.

Subs: Jones, Alberto, Cissokho, Allen, Borini, Sterling, Wisdom.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:46 pm

specnur wrote:This is a great game maybe the best of the weekend regardless of the chelsea/man u game!
They both got very busy and mobile players around the pitch and the youth of Villa could test some of Liverpool's older guard ,it should be a a fascinating match that i can't wait to savor!

Chelsea and United play Monday, unless you mean bank holiday weekend. :wink:

Mignolet made 3 great saves, out-doing his Belgian friend Benteke. He was on form today and kept us with maximum points.

I know we've only scored 2 goals but I'm really pleased with our opening form this season. These points are always the ones you reflect on and it's important we're as high as possible to start with. We currently sit 2nd I think, atm.

I'm gonna print screen the table, make it my screensaver and pretend the season is over.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Davey1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 pm

mrtz wrote:We've had a history of trouble against big and athletic strikers in the Drogba/Benteke mold.

Hope Toure changes that.

And they said he's past it :lol:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:04 pm

FT

Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool
0-1 Sturridge 21'

Any comments on Liverpool's win?

I thought it was a very poor and boring game with the goal from Sturridge and late Mignolet save being the only highlights.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Two completely contrasting halves ,one were Liverpool's quick incisive passing
could only be described as imperious ,and the other sitting back defending a one
goal lead...

Plus points

1, Toure is an absolute monster.
2, Henderson slowly cementing his place in the side.
3, Lucas in the first half was running the show from midfield.
4, Gerrard see Lucas.
5, Second half proved we can win ugly.
6, Three points.
7, Rodgers finally showing a different style from his tried and tested blueprint.
8, "MIGNOLET MIGNOLET MIGNOLET"
9, Danny Sturridge
10, I now have a valid excuse to imbibe copious amounts of alcohol :D
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Good game ,but i think the Lambert made a mistake not starting the Moroccan in mid field.
You want to see what happens when a Lacross maker produces an English football jersey ,then look no further than the horror that is that Liverpool away kit! What a piece of crap that is! :D
Coutinho had a quite game and the Liverpool defense nullified the little that Villa could get to Benteke.
That kid Okore look like a good signing.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:04 am

I thought Kolo Toure was easily the man of the match and did indeed display that he is still a quality defender.

It should also have been a penalty to Liverpool at the end when Sturridge was fouled by Guzan but the referee waved play on.

Aston Villa improved in the second half but on this occasion it wasn't to be for Benteke who really should have scored.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby mrtz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I quite liked the Liverpool kits. I didn't like the initial photos, but seeing it in action, it wasn't too bad. Glad to have a kit maker who is actually looking to be a little daring with their designs. Not the best kit in the world, but not the worst. I still like Warrior's work for Sevilla the best. Those are all world class.

Anyway, a great first half, and a bit of survival mode in the second. Glad to see us winning ugly rather than accepting a draw. Big improvement from last year, and I'll take 3 points any day of the week.

Toure has been great, and hope that continues - as has Mignolet.

Happy that Benteke was silenced. It was tough to slow him down, but Toure made it difficult for him and Mignolet stopped the best chance he had.

Good result, now I'm hoping we can pull one off against United!
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:19 pm

I guess it's matter of taste Mrtz on that kit.
But that away kit in particular looked like a 1980's throwback ,i kept thinking they stenciled a picture of the cop on the front! :D
I got better taste on my d*ck than whoever thought up that disaster! :lol:
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:38 pm

specnur wrote:I guess it's matter of taste Mrtz on that kit.
But that away kit in particular looked like a 1980's throwback ,i kept thinking they stenciled a picture of the cop on the front! :D

:lol: :lol: Oh dear!

Frankly, the lot can wear chicken costumes if they keep winning!!
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:01 pm

mrtz wrote:

:lol:

They better start playing Sterling FFS ,he's in my fantasy team and they are killing me by not playing him.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Davey1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:27 pm

specnur wrote:
mrtz wrote:

They better start playing Sterling FFS ,he's in my fantasy team and they are killing me by not playing him.

He's too young for a first team place, mate. He's not 19 until December. I'd use the wild card.

Bacuna has been playing centre attacking mid for Villa. He's priced at £4.9m or there is Wanyama for £5m or Everton's Ross Barkley for £4.8m
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby specnur » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Davey1 wrote:
specnur wrote:
mrtz wrote:

He's too young for a first team place, mate. He's not 19 until December. I'd use the wild card.

Bacuna has been playing centre attacking mid for Villa. He's priced at £4.9m or there is Wanyama for £5m or Everton's Ross Barkley for £4.8m

I jumped on Barkley early doors mate! Trying to get Coleman in but i got to offload another Everton player first,got too many.
Wanyama i looked at but it was either him or Barkley and i like Barkley's aggressivness towards goal a bit better. :D
specnur
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League