Cardiff v Man City

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Cardiff v Man City

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am

The Bluebirds lost their opening game of the season 2-0 away at West Ham.

Man City thrashed Newcastle 4-0 at the Etihad in what was Manuel Pellegrini's debut match as manager.

This will be Cardiff's first home fixture back in the top flight for something like 50 years and should be a sell out.

Any comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:17 am

Did you know that this will be the first league meeting between these two clubs since they met in the second tier back in March 1985.

Any comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Teams

Cardiff:
Marshall, Connolly, Taylor, Caulker, Turner, Whittingham, Medel, Campbell, Kim, Gunnarsson, Bellamy;

Subs: Lewis, Hudson, Cornelius, Noone, Mutch, Cowie, Maynard

Manchester City:
Hart, Zabaleta, Garcia, Lescott, Clichy, Navas, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero;

Subs: Pantilimon, Nastasic, Kolarov, Rodwell, Milner, Nasri, Negredo
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:05 pm

HT

Cardiff 0-0 Man City
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:05 pm

FT

Cardiff 3-2 Man City
0-1 Dzeko 52’
1-1 Gunnarsson 60'
2-1 Campbell 79’
3-1 Campbell 87’
3-2 Negredo 90’

What a win for Cardiff and the first shock result of the season!

Frazer Campbell was excellent for the home side and was my man of the match.

It looks like Pablo Zabaleta was responsible for at least 2 of the Welsh teams goals which is unusually poor from him.

Any comments on todays surprise result and did the Bluebirds deserve it?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm

That's gonna damage City's chances of winning the League. As things stand, Chelsea are strongest. If Chelsea beat United tomorrow, they'll have 9 points and it wont be easy to knock them off the podium. All that money spent and they couldn't dispose of Cardiff.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Davey1 wrote:That's gonna damage City's chances of winning the League. As things stand, Chelsea are strongest. If Chelsea beat United tomorrow, they'll have 9 points and it wont be easy to knock them off the podium. All that money spent and they couldn't dispose of Cardiff.

Its a joke really Davey isn't it?!
I know that City were missing Kompany in defence and that Nastasic today but their defending really was poor.
Maybe they should regret letting Kolo Toure leave to join Liverpool.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Hams wrote:
Davey1 wrote:That's gonna damage City's chances of winning the League. As things stand, Chelsea are strongest. If Chelsea beat United tomorrow, they'll have 9 points and it wont be easy to knock them off the podium. All that money spent and they couldn't dispose of Cardiff.

Its a joke really Davey isn't it?!
I know that City were missing Kompany in defence and that Nastasic today but their defending really was poor.
Maybe they should regret letting Kolo Toure leave to join Liverpool.

Yeah, especially as their best defender, Zabaleta was at fault for 2 goals. They played a defensive mid in defence despite having Nastasic on the bench. All that money spent and they forgot to replace Kolo. :lol:

This is why I grin when people say Kolo's past it. He got banned for taking weight loss drugs his wife gave him just so he could stay in shape. He's probably our fittest defender.

And the City boss can't blame the goals on lack of concentration because City were poor and wasteful.

Cardiff had 8 shots, 6 of them on target.
Man City had 12 with only 5 on target.

Considering Cardiff only had 30% possession, Man City got smashed, imo. Lack of concentration? I blame the manager.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 am

Well I've not seen the highlights yet, but I hear Cardiff deserved the win. It is too soon to be writing off City's title chances, as Chelsea, Man Utd et al will lose at least one or two games this season. It is a shame we don't have any 'Citeh' fans on the forum, as I'd like to express my feelings about the game to them.....

Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm

THis is a shocker and pretty much an indication of why the premiership is the best in the world!
Anyway. I have been listening to commentators consistently show admiration for Zabaleta and i honestly couldn't understand what all the hoopla was about. Yes he was an hard working defender ,but it's those two words that the old guard of England seem to hold in the highest regard in all description of what they believe is most important on the pitch , no nonsense"!
Well he was full of nonsense today and was totally exposed for the average player he is defensively!
I thought the kid Kim was very good for Cardiff today ,but as usual for an Asian/Oriental player ,couldn't get enough of the ball form his teammates! At points in that game he made the leagues best player over the last 4 years Yaya Toure look like a mug out there! Showed an intricacy with the dribble that reminds me of Hleb in his prime and a desire when he got the ball on the run that showed a lot of confidence in his ability. Big game for Campbell though ,put himself about ,but went down far too easy for me though. Between him and Townsend of Spurs i don't know who won the best scuba award this weekend.
Great result for the league though show the competitive superiority throughout the league,even though it may yet again be detrimental to our champions league exploits.
Last edited by specnur on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:04 pm

a big result for Cardiff ..yet they nearly threw it away at the end , letting Man City get a goal back led to some nervous moments during the 6 mins of injury time . It is still early days though ....plenty of shocks still to come I imagine .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 pm

City were pretty much hapless in defence ,wouldn't be surprised if they
recruited some new blood at the back ,all credit to Cardiff though, their
players obviously a shed load more motivated than Cities.

Frazier Campbell was a sure bet given his leanings towards United
to be moved to impress against United's sternest adversaries ,I'm
guessing he will be no less a thorn when Cardiff play the reds.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Davey1 wrote: I blame the manager.

his signings appear to be from a man with little idea as to what he intends to do with the team. there seems no rhyme or reason behind any of them beyond just buying a few players because they're good, rather than to fit into any kind of system.

meanwhile, Joe Hart has done the English goalkeeper thing of going backwards and should now be considered a liability.

by the time Man City get themselves on track their rivals could be well out of reach. that could see third place wide open and, potentially, Man City even dropping to fifth if Spurs and Arsenal are able to last the pace.

premature, i know, but not unrealistic.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
by the time Man City get themselves on track their rivals could be well out of reach. that could see third place wide open and, potentially, Man City even dropping to fifth if Spurs and Arsenal are able to last the pace.

premature, i know, but not unrealistic.

can you imagine what will happen if they are around fifth leading into October , after spending £86 million could you see Pellegrini being the first casualty of the season . I know it is early but football is a funny old game .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League