Arsenal v Tottenham

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Arsenal v Tottenham

Postby Conner99 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Arsenal qualified for the Champions League group stages after a 2-0 home win against Fenerbahce ...5-0 on aggregate and perhaps many Arsenal fans may be asking ..so what was all the fuss about ? The win did come at a cost though ...Lucas Podolski will be out for about 3 weeks with a hamstring injury and both Jack Wilshire and Aaron Ramsey suffered knocks , manager Arsene Wenger is hoping though both will be ready to face Tottenham at the Emirates on sunday .

This fixture last season saw Arsenal thrash their bitter north london rivals 5-2 , with no major signings yet from Arsene Wenger will he be able to give the home fans what they want ...a win of course .

Tottenham have been spending money like there is no tomorrow , with the news that they are about to sign Argentine forward Erik Lamela from Roma the amount spent will rise to nearly £85 million ...only Man City have spent more . It is clear that manager Andre Villas-Boas is out to make his team into more than just a top 4 side ..with Gareth Bale set to depart for £800 million or whatever the price will be .. the question will be ..will these players be able to fill the gap left by the double player of the year ...time will tell as they say .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Lukas Podolski is out for 10 weeks but ex Gunner Flamini could start having re signed for Arsenal today.

Did you know that Tottenham have failed to hold on to a lead on each of their last two trips across North London, losing 5-2 on both occasions.

Arsenal 1-1 Tottenham
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Conner99 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:24 pm

and i would love to make it a hatrick of 5-2 wins , but Tottenham are on a good run and nothing is sure in these derby games . I just hope Walcott has not dropped a clanger with his comments about Arsenal having as strong a squad a Tottenham ...i hope we can prove him right .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:32 am

It was a silly comment by Walcott! There is no way that Arsenal have a strong a squad as Tottenham right now. :!:
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:04 am

I’ve posted elsewhere that I think Spurs are looking strong especially in midfield but the team is yet to gel.
This might be considered the first real test of AVB’s new
look team, and while Podolski is a big miss for the Gooners I still expect a
tight contest. It is a fascinating
encounter, a win for Spurs will open up questions bout Wenger again, a win for Arsenal will raise questions
about Spurs bringing in so many new signings at once. My heart says Spurs to win by the odd goal, but the head agrees with Hams - 1-1.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 pm

Hams wrote:It was a silly comment by Walcott! There is no way that Arsenal have a strong a squad as Tottenham right now. :!:

They probably have a stronger squad but I'd say our first eleven is still better than theirs. They've signed a lot of good players but I'm not convinced any of them are 'top, top quality' as Wenger would say, seem to be more padding out the squad than anything else.

Not only that, it's always going to be risky bringing in 6-7 first team players and there's no guarantees that they'll gel, certainly not in the first few weeks of the season. I expect lots of goals and I think we'll come out on top.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby specnur » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:51 pm

The good news for Arsenal is that this game is being played so early in the season ,because they have less injuries and Spurs are stacked with decent quality! Tomorrow it will whatever the manager feels are the best 11 for the job with no excuses. We are missing Arteta ,Diaby and Pdoolski but that's light work compared to previous seasons.
By rights Spurs should walk it 1-3 ,but i'm predicting a hard fought match with Arsenal coming out winners due to superior coaching and stamina.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:37 pm

well Laurent Koscielny is back after his ban , Mathieu Flamini is on the bench though ..Ramsey and Wilshire are both ok to start .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Teams

Arsenal:
Szczesny, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud.

Subs: Fabianski, Sagna, Monreal, Flamini, Zelalem, Gnabry, Sanogo.

Tottenham Hotspur:
Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Rose; Capoue, Paulinho; Townsend, Dembele, Chadli; Soldado.

Subs: Friedel, Naughton, Holtby, Lamela, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Defoe
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:12 pm

FT

Arsenal 1-0 Tottenham
1-0 Giroud 23’

Any comments on Arsenal's victory? Did they deserve it?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:14 pm

managerial superiority plain and simple! Lesser team wins again!
very important that this game was so early in the season with less key injuries that usually hamper Arsenal.
I just hope Wenger understands this and does all he can to put more bodies in that squad,because the next time these two meet ,it could be and almighty battering! Spurs will need time to get those players to from some sort of chemistry and when/if they do Arsenal will be looking up at them for the foreseeable future.
Great win for the team an Ramsey had another good game, he;s like having a new player.
MY man Dembele on the other hand had little impact on this one and it showed all game. Spurs relied on the play of the little too selfish Townsend and had very little creativity form the centre.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:15 pm

1-0 to the Arsenal ... :D :D :D :D :D
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Conner99 wrote:1-0 to the Arsenal ... :D :D :D :D :D

Its been a while :lol:
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:14 pm

OK, I'll stand that reverse. Unlike some short term memory Spurs fans I do not think we were dominated or outclassed today. In the second half we had the majority of possession and in fact I think we deserved an equaliser. Fair enough, it didn't happen so the final third of the park needs some attention. The Arse took the honours today but we will be back! COYS.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm

not dominated or outclassed ...no , but possession as we all know too well does not mean anything unless you can put the ball in the back of the net . I think we could easily have had another two or 3 goals had our finishing been better , Spurs had a few good chances which Szczesny did well to stop ..the rest were rather comfortable saves though.

We were strong in defence and worked together as a team , everyone seemed to be that extra bit motivated , we could have kept the ball better ...we lost it far too easily at times , but we stopped Tottenham from where it mattered ..around the penalty area , the two penalty claims the ref got both right in my opinion ..

So we are now 4th and above Tottenham and long may it stay that way .. :wink:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Conner99 wrote:1-0 to the Arsenal ... :D :D :D :D :D

:D

A brilliant resolute performance from Arsenal ,with unsung hero Flamini in particular
using every bit of his experience to disrupt any sign of Spurs fluency. I thought his
closing down and just simply denying Spurs any room for manoeuvre was exceptional
today......Arsenal have missed his influence.
redpelt
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 pm

DId i mention the finish by Giroud was a work of pure artistry!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Conner99 wrote:

Long way to go fella, we can only get better (and we will), you are going to have to do better than signing Flamini on a free! I feel strangely untroubled by this defeat, sh*t happens and all that. Lets see what the picture looks like come March. :wink:
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Conner99 wrote:

Long way to go fella, we can only get better (and we will), you are going to have to do better than signing Flamini on a free! I feel strangely untroubled by this defeat, sh*t happens and all that. Lets see what the picture looks like come March. :wink:

Aspirations aside ,what are your realistic expectations for the season mate ? I mean
after investing so heavily with such vast assets on the playing field ,surely just
finishing fourth is selling yourself short ? I personally believe such huge investments
must at the very least ensure you're genuine contenders this season.

I mean Man City were under huge pressure given the talent in their team to at least
make a decent fist of finishing Champions last season ,yet the colossal expectation
heaped upon them in the end just became their Achilles heel.
redpelt
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:41 pm

redpelt wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:
Conner99 wrote:

Aspirations aside ,what are your realistic expectations for the season mate ? I mean
after investing so heavily with such vast assets on the playing field
,surely just
finishing fourth is selling yourself short ? I personally believe such huge investments
must at the very least ensure you're genuine contenders this season.

I mean Man City were under huge pressure given the talent in their team to at least
make a decent fist of finishing Champions last season ,yet the colossal expectation
heaped upon them in the end just became their Achilles heel.

Lets not forget they've only spent £30 million or so net, although with a lot higher wage bill of course. As I've been saying all along though, I think they've padded their squad our with some good (& some great) players but not quite enough to finish in the top four this year.

What a great result, pleased for Giroud and all the players - impressed!
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League