Will Spurs be better or worse off without Gareth Bale?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Will Spurs be better or worse off without Gareth Bale?

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:53 am

We all know now that Spurs have sold Bale to Real Madrid for £85 million.

My question is will they now be better of worse off without him?

If they had decided to keep him would Tottenham have finished in top 4?

Or will all the new players they signed make up for his absence and make them a better team?
User avatar
Hams
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39962
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Re: Will Spurs be better or worse off without Gareth Bale?

Postby redpelt » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Hams wrote:We all know now that Spurs have sold Bale to Real Madrid for £85 million.

My question is will they now be better of worse off without him?

If they had decided to keep him would Tottenham have finished in top 4?

Or will all the new players they signed make up for his absence and make them a better team?


I think every team needs a player capable of providing that touch of genius ,Bale
could win games on his own. So I suppose in terms of Spurs evolving into more
of a team then yes that's very likely ,but the fallout from having such a player as
the incomparable Bale in their team ,and then adapting to his loss could have serious
repercussions on the dynamic of the side.

It was notable that in the Premiership last season some teams would compensate
for defending against Bales threat by dropping back their midfield whilst the
fullback attempted to deter Bale from making those rampaging runs.

Its testament to Bales ability that his threat remained apparent when such drastic
measures to contain him were diluted by the lads propensity for surprise.

Such players as Bale are few and far between ,and Spurs will have to learn to adapt
as a team to being devoid of such genius.... I still think they will succeed ,but it will
be as a less potent threat than when Bale graced the team.
User avatar
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby Davey1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 am

I think it's going to take them a while before the squad gels but when they do, they'll be a decent team good enough for 4th.
Who knows how long it'll take to gel though.
User avatar
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: Supports Liverpool

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:48 am

As good as Bale is, and there were moments in the Arsenal game I'd have like to have seen him on the pitch, Spurs will move on and adapt to life without the Welsh man. At times there was so much focus and hype about Bale in the build up to games, it allowed other players in the team to get away with anonymous performances. I agree that the best teams always have one or two players with a touch of creative genius, it is way too early to say if any of the new signings will develop into the creative spark we need.
In the meantime I think Spurs will continue to be a competitive team in the Premiership, I'm certainly not pressing the panic button yet.
User avatar
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 pm
Location: Leeds

Postby redpelt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:As good as Bale is, and there were moments in the Arsenal game I'd have like to have seen him on the pitch, Spurs will move on and adapt to life without the Welsh man. At times there was so much focus and hype about Bale in the build up to games, it allowed other players in the team to get away with anonymous performances. I agree that the best teams always have one or two players with a touch of creative genius, it is way too early to say if any of the new signings will develop into the creative spark we need.
In the meantime I think Spurs will continue to be a competitive team in the Premiership, I'm certainly not pressing the panic button yet.


I would personally formulate a team specifically to pander to Eriksson's ability,if I
had Boas's particular conundrum. I think he could evolve into a major component
of Spurs eventual progression, if indeed he is utilised in a similar set up as at Ajax.

As for Lamela ,the lad possesses extraordinary talent ,and if its harnessed with the
correct mindset then he could prove a steal at the price Spurs paid.

I do however have serious reservations concerning Paulinho ,thus far he has looked
cumbersome and bereft of any precision ,especially in comparison to the far more
intelligent Capoue. ....His impending loss through injury is a huge blow to Spurs
maintaining their early season momentum.

I think you will be a much more cohesive team when Lennon returns ,Chadli reminds
me of Nabil El Zhar when we placed him on the wing under the assumption his
penchant for neat footwork would make him a decent winger......Needless to say
the rest is consigned to the file marked 'Back to the drawing board'

Townsend has looked good though ,been impressed with him.
User avatar
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby BMJ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 pm

I wish United signed Eriksson. Tottenham will be fine.
User avatar
BMJ
Young Pro
Young Pro
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:39 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby XxTAMPLIERxX » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Ok, the only thing I can say is that Tottenham won't be worse. There are many other good players, who can play cleverly and nice.
User avatar
XxTAMPLIERxX
Grass Roots
Grass Roots
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Postby Conner99 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:34 pm

did Arsenal suddenly fall down the table when Robin Van Persie left for Man Utd ..no , well not for too long anyway .. :wink: It will be the same for Spurs i think ...the £106 million spent on new players would never have happened if Bale had stayed..it remains to be seen whether these new players can help overcome the loss of their former star player .

It would surprise me if Spurs failed to make the top 5 at least .
User avatar
Conner99
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 am
Location: Essex

Postby fakeplastictrees » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:41 pm

It might take a while for them to settle in new players but they will be a better team for sure. Bale was great last season but still has it all to prove at the top level. I think he'll flop in Madrid.
User avatar
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am

Postby specnur » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:15 am

fakeplastictrees wrote:It might take a while for them to settle in new players but they will be a better team for sure. Bale was great last season but still has it all to prove at the top level. I think he'll flop in Madrid.


That's quite funny that! Because Ronaldo had a worse record scoring against big teams in the premiership ,i think he was older at the time ,yet Bale will flop?
If Bale is given the same freedom as Ronaldo he will rip that league apart ,i have absolutely no doubt about that!
Against them defenses??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: Mate!
specnur
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 16113
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 am
Location: on your mind

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:45 pm

specnur wrote:
fakeplastictrees wrote:It might take a while for them to settle in new players but they will be a better team for sure. Bale was great last season but still has it all to prove at the top level. I think he'll flop in Madrid.


That's quite funny that! Because Ronaldo had a worse record scoring against big teams in the premiership ,i think he was older at the time ,yet Bale will flop?
If Bale is given the same freedom as Ronaldo he will rip that league apart ,i have absolutely no doubt about that!
Against them defenses??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: Mate!


have to agree with that.

Bale will smash that league to pieces.
User avatar
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39894
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:14 pm

Postby Hams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Never mind about Bale smashing the Spanish League to pieces!

I would like to know how you think Spurs will do now without their star player?

I wasn't very impressed with their performance against Arsenal in the derby the other day.
User avatar
Hams
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39962
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm

it depends entirely on how quickly/well their new players adapt.

at the moment it looks like a lot of players don't really know what they're supposed to be doing or how they're fitting into a system. it's always a risk buying so many new faces but you can understand why they've done it.

they certainly can be better off if the new players hit it off but that will only come with time. i do think the champions league will elude them once again though.
User avatar
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39894
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:14 pm

Postby eaman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Smash the league to pieces. Come on be realistic. He already scored over twenty in the premier league last year so if he gets more in la liga it just means he's a older and better this year and is playing with a better supporting cast just like ronaldo when he came. It's ridiculous to say the premier league as a whole is much better defensively
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Limerick, Ireland

Postby Hams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Steely Hill wrote:it depends entirely on how quickly/well their new players adapt.

at the moment it looks like a lot of players don't really know what they're supposed to be doing or how they're fitting into a system. it's always a risk buying so many new faces but you can understand why they've done it.

they certainly can be better off if the new players hit it off but that will only come with time. i do think the champions league will elude them once again though.


I agree with you on the last part about Spurs not qualifying for the Champions League and not just because I support West Ham.

I also think that like with last season when Tottenham were in the Europa League that will cost them as AVB will be taking that competition seriously which their favourites to win.
User avatar
Hams
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39962
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby specnur » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:19 pm

eaman wrote:Smash the league to pieces. Come on be realistic. He already scored over twenty in the premier league last year so if he gets more in la liga it just means he's a older and better this year and is playing with a better supporting cast just like ronaldo when he came. It's ridiculous to say the premier league as a whole is much better defensively


It like talking to a f*cking tree stump trying to get into your head mate!
I'll ask you this ,do you see see Ronaldo scoring 50 goals a season in the premiership?

Anyway back to the topic!
As steely said the players need time to gel together.And as i said in the game thread the result against Arsenal should not be a an indication of how that team will play at the end of the season. Once they have figured out their roles there will be lot more cohesion and things will flow better. Right now with the signings they have made i see them as more dangerous than when Bale was there. The only thing i will say is that there seems to be a bit of an imbalance between the mid field and attack. They could have bought another striker to unless i am missing someone! Ut at tis stage they are a better team than last season without question.
specnur
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 16113
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 am
Location: on your mind

Postby eaman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Ronaldo got 31 in the premier league when he was a young fella who didn't have as good a free-kick and I don't think he took all the pens. His record in la liga is 42 I think. So eleven in the difference when he's a better player sounds about right. Look at Michu and his equal record in one season in both leagues.
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Limerick, Ireland

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 pm

specnur wrote:
Anyway back to the topic!
As steely said the players need time to gel together.And as i said in the game thread the result against Arsenal should not be a an indication of how that team will play at the end of the season. Once they have figured out their roles there will be lot more cohesion and things will flow better. Right now with the signings they have made i see them as more dangerous than when Bale was there. The only thing i will say is that there seems to be a bit of an imbalance between the mid field and attack. They could have bought another striker to unless i am missing someone! Ut at tis stage they are a better team than last season without question.


I guess the old saying about Spurs being a one man team will be tested ...was Bale the only reason Spurs did pretty well last season . The pressure will be on Villas-Boas to prove they can cope without Bale , the quality of the squad is a matter of opinion though ..only results will prove that . I agree that they will be more dangerous ....Bale was always the man to look for when he was there ..they have many more options now , but as you say it will take time ..something you don't have too much off in the Premier League

When you spend £106 million or so ....if your team are not better than last season ..there is something wrong .. :wink:
User avatar
Conner99
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 am
Location: Essex

Postby specnur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:12 am

eaman wrote:Ronaldo got 31 in the premier league when he was a young fella who didn't have as good a free-kick and I don't think he took all the pens. His record in la liga is 42 I think. So eleven in the difference when he's a better player sounds about right. Look at Michu and his equal record in one season in both leagues.


So it is that a yes or no to the question? :roll:
Here's a FACT for you! More players go to La liga from the premiership and better or maintain their level of play than Spanish players who come to the premiership!
specnur
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 16113
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 am
Location: on your mind

Postby Hams » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:29 am

Please remember guys that the topic is how will Spurs do now that Gareth Bale has left?!
User avatar
Hams
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 39962
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests