NFL 2013

This is the place on the forum to discuss other sports whether it be Cricket,Rugby or Formula 1.

Moderator: Moderators

NFL 2013

Postby Seamus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:04 pm

The NFL starts up again this Thursday with defending Super Bowl Champions the Baltimore Ravens travelling to Denver to face the Broncos.

My team, the Giants will hopefully get over their November curse this year and go the whole way. Eli has been in good form the last few years. Also have a soft spot for the Miami Dolphins and if they finish anywhere other than rock bottom it will be a success!.

Who are your NFL team and how do you think they will do?.
Last edited by Seamus on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Seamus

Postby mrtz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Opening night!

I can't wait for my Broncos to take the field and get revenge on those jabroni Ravens.

I fully expect a Superbowl appearance, at least (barring injuries). Anything less is a failure.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Seamus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:57 pm

mrtz wrote:Opening night!

I can't wait for my Broncos to take the field and get revenge on those jabroni Ravens.

I fully expect a Superbowl appearance, at least (barring injuries). Anything less is a failure.

Thought you might have been a Giants/Jets fan?.

Not sure if Denver will go all the way, I know its a pretty even field this year but there are plenty of tough teams in the way.
Seamus

Postby mrtz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Seamus wrote:
mrtz wrote:Opening night!

Thought you might have been a Giants/Jets fan?.

Not sure if Denver will go all the way, I know its a pretty even field this year but there are plenty of tough teams in the way.

Nah, my first home in the States was in New Mexico, so our local teams were either the Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys, or Denver Broncos. I've actually followed them since the Elway era, though.

Other than the Patriots, I don't see anyone in the AFC who (on paper) should beat us. 49ers and Seahawks are the only teams capable of beating us, but we don't have to worry about them till the Super Bowl.

Tom Brady is always a thread, but we have Manning who is every bit as good as him, plus we got Wes Welker from them! Once Von Miller comes back from suspension, we'll be back to being a top 3 defense, but even without them, we're still top 10. Only way we shouldn't make the Super Bowl is if someone important gets hurt.

Parity is definitely there, but I still think you can't look past Denver and New England in the AFC, and Seattle and San Francisco in the NFC.

I'd like the Giants to have a good year, but I am absolutely loving what Shanahan and RGIII are doing down in Washington!

Should be a good season.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:12 am

Seven. Count it. SEVEN. Touchdown passes by Peyton Manning as he sliced open the defending champions 49-27 at Mile High.

That was a statement of intent that he is going for throats, he is 100% fit after 4 neck surgeries, and that he can carry this team even with a wounded defense.

No Champ, no Von Miller, no problem. Dumerville defected to the Ravens, so that essentially meant that we lost our best players on the line, in the middle, and in the secondary, but the rest of the defense stepped up behind Wesley Woodyard.

Overall a great performance. Some bonehead moves by some younger players, that I'm sure will be addressed.

Wes Welker did well on his debut, bar the muffed punt return. Still, 2 TD's isn't a bad haul.

Demaryus Thomas looked like he was in top form even with tight man coverage on him, getting 2 TD's of his own. The juke move he did in the 3rd quarter was a joy to see. World class move.

The rest of the AFC must be shaking scared right now. This is Denver only running on offense. The defense will be stacked by week 7. Welker would be fully integrated. DT will have a pro bowl year. I'm sure Decker will find his footing and recapture the form he had last year.

Happy with that performance. Dominant.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Seamus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Good result for Denver.

I think the NFC East will once again be the division to watch and I agree with you about RGIII.

Just out of interest is there sort of rules in New York about which borough you live in determining whether you support the Giants or the Jets?. Ive heard that the Jets are the Bronx/Brooklyn team and Giants are popular in Manhattan.
Seamus

Postby mrtz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Seamus wrote:Good result for Denver.

I think the NFC East will once again be the division to watch and I agree with you about RGIII.

Just out of interest is there sort of rules in New York about which borough you live in determining whether you support the Giants or the Jets?. Ive heard that the Jets are the Bronx/Brooklyn team and Giants are popular in Manhattan.

I definitely think the most unpredictable division is the NFC east. I think it will be 1. Redskins, 2. Giants, 3. Eagles, 4. Cowboys. But it could easily be the opposite!

I don't think there are lines when it comes to allegiances by geography. It's not like the Yankees/Mets where Queens cheers for the Mets, and everyone else cheers for the Yankees.

The Giants are definitely the more established team, with a large fanbase reaching over to Connecticut. The Jets came about during the AFL, and really rose in popularity during the "Broadway Joe" days. I think now, a lot of people are born into it at this point. I'd say New Jersey is more Giants as well, and probably the Philadelphia Eagles has a larger fanbase in New Jersey than the Jets.

You've done well to pick the Giants, as the Jets are a complete joke! If you thought Liverpool were bad under Hicks and Gillette!

Imagine a mix of Ian Holloway and Phil Brown as the manager, except 200 lbs heavier, and you have Rex Ryan :lol:
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Having seen every team but the Texans play (who are considered championship contenders), I am definitely thinking that unless there are serious injuries, it's a championship or bust season for the Denver Broncos.

New England should prove to be a trickier contender if they get Gronkowski back, but none of their receivers seem to be up for the task of filling the shoes of Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, and Lloyd left.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Well, well, well... The NFC east just looked a whole lot more interesting. Great win for the Eagles in a college-style offense courtesy of Chip Kelly. I thought Denver's no-huddle was fast. Jeez. That was a great watch, but you wonder how much their legs will hold up throughout the course of the season.

Like I said earlier, my predictions for the NFC East could just as easily be opposite! A ton of parity from top to bottom, and it's possible that kickers may decide the playoff fates of the teams. 9 wins could be good enough to win the division.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby KimKallstrom2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Yeah from what I read, Philadelphia's offence was looking very tasty. However I don't see how Denver's can be stopped.

Meanwhile my Detroit Lions had a nice win, albeit against a crappy Vikings team.

It looks like the first pick of the 2014 NFL draft is already set:

"With the first pick of the 2014 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Teddy Bridgewater, quarterback, Louisville."
KimKallstrom2
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby mrtz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Ndamakung Suh was once again at the middle of controversy after a cheap shot on the Vikings center on a pick 6. He was fined $100,000 which is nothing, considering what he makes. The guy has to be suspended for an extended amount of games. One of the dirtiest players I've seen on any sport.

And yes, Jacksonville looks doomed. The only question is really who'd they pick first. Bridgewater is the most likely candidate. Maybe Boyd from Clemson? Johnny Football?

The Vikings should be a little better this year, with AP still looking unstoppable. They lost Harvin, who never played anyway, and replaced him with another injury prone player in Jennings. Ponder has a lot on his shoulders if they want a spot in the playoffs.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Seamus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 pm

The Broncos first real test will be this weekend! :wink: . Eli vs Peyton - I cant wait!.

Gutted to lose to Dallas in week 1, but the real surprise was the Skins losing to the Eagles.

Nice to see Miami pick up a win too, okay so it was only against Cleveland but a win is a win!
Seamus

Postby mrtz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Seamus wrote:The Broncos first real test will be this weekend! :wink: . Eli vs Peyton - I cant wait!.

Gutted to lose to Dallas in week 1, but the real surprise was the Skins losing to the Eagles.

Nice to see Miami pick up a win too, okay so it was only against Cleveland but a win is a win!

I will be at the Giants-Broncos game in the flesh as well. 23rd row, at about the 40 yard line behind the Giants bench!
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Seamus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:34 pm

mrtz wrote:
Seamus wrote:The Broncos first real test will be this weekend! :wink: . Eli vs Peyton - I cant wait!.

I will be at the Giants-Broncos game in the flesh as well. 23rd row, at about the 40 yard line behind the Giants bench!

I am totally not jealous :evil:
Seamus

Postby mrtz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm

:lol:

I am going with a Giants fan, so we are thinking about showing up to the game dressed up as Peyton and Eli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5zytfm9No

All depends if we can find the right wigs!
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:04 am

No costumes, but I went to the Giants-Broncos game yesterday, and what an experience.

80,000+ strong, but the patches of orange all over the stadium was a welcome sight to see. I was sitting behind the Giants bench, but I was clad in orange and in full voice.

The first half was a struggle, but we turned it up in the second half, causing Eli and company to make some mistakes, while Peyton and Moreno took over offensively. It was a clinic and a beat-down in the second half, and I went home happy. While the Seahawks and Niners showed that they are still the teams to beat that night, I am confident that we can match both teams inch for inch. Our running game is the only question mark, but if Moreno can keep putting up performances like that, we'll be fine. Peyton is the best passing quarterback in the league, while DT, Wes, and Decker form the best receiving core in the league, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Julius Thomas is proving to be a surprise package at TE with the absence of Dressen, while our offensive line has protected the backfield even with Dan Kopen hurt.

Our defense has stood strong even in the absence of Champ Bailey and Von Miller. Add in Quentin Jammer to the list of inactives, but guys like DR Cromartie, Rahim Moore, and Wesley Woodyard have stepped up and kept our defense at an exceptional standard. Having guys back from injuries and suspensions will only make us better.

Special teams have been fantastic as well with Ronnie Hillman establishing himself as one of the premier kick returners.

Hopefully we keep this level of play up through the end of the season. 90 points in 2 games, is incredible, and a big divisional clash against the Raiders is up next.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Seamus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Going into week 3 with a record of 0-2 was not what I was expecting!. Have to hand it to the Broncos though, a deserved victory and we didn't ever look like winning it.

I will be hugely disappointed if we don't win against the Panthers though and I think Denver will rip Oakland apart!.

I notice that New England haven't been storming to victory with ease as expected- will Tampa Bay turn them over. Looking at recent results its not unthinkable.

Miami got another win though! - 2 in a row is their longest winning streak in about 5 years!.
Seamus

Postby Hams » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:34 pm

mrtz wrote:No costumes, but I went to the Giants-Broncos game yesterday, and what an experience.

80,000+ strong, but the patches of orange all over the stadium was a welcome sight to see. I was sitting behind the Giants bench, but I was clad in orange and in full voice.

The first half was a struggle, but we turned it up in the second half, causing Eli and company to make some mistakes, while Peyton and Moreno took over offensively. It was a clinic and a beat-down in the second half, and I went home happy. While the Seahawks and Niners showed that they are still the teams to beat that night, I am confident that we can match both teams inch for inch. Our running game is the only question mark, but if Moreno can keep putting up performances like that, we'll be fine. Peyton is the best passing quarterback in the league, while DT, Wes, and Decker form the best receiving core in the league, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Julius Thomas is proving to be a surprise package at TE with the absence of Dressen, while our offensive line has protected the backfield even with Dan Kopen hurt.

Our defense has stood strong even in the absence of Champ Bailey and Von Miller. Add in Quentin Jammer to the list of inactives, but guys like DR Cromartie, Rahim Moore, and Wesley Woodyard have stepped up and kept our defense at an exceptional standard. Having guys back from injuries and suspensions will only make us better.

Special teams have been fantastic as well with Ronnie Hillman establishing himself as one of the premier kick returners.

Hopefully we keep this level of play up through the end of the season. 90 points in 2 games, is incredible, and a big divisional clash against the Raiders is up next.

Who won the game Mrtz?!
Is normal in NFL for fans of different teams to be able to sit next to each other in the stadium?
In rugby over here in the UK its no problem but obviously not with football.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby mrtz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Hams wrote:
mrtz wrote:No costumes, but I went to the Giants-Broncos game yesterday, and what an experience.

Who won the game Mrtz?!
Is normal in NFL for fans of different teams to be able to sit next to each other in the stadium?
In rugby over here in the UK its no problem but obviously not with football.

Denver won 42-23 ;).

And yes, I actually went with a friend of mine who is a Giants fan, and got the tickets from someone I went to school with who works for the Giants, so it's all pretty friendly here.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Seamus wrote:Going into week 3 with a record of 0-2 was not what I was expecting!. Have to hand it to the Broncos though, a deserved victory and we didn't ever look like winning it.

I will be hugely disappointed if we don't win against the Panthers though and I think Denver will rip Oakland apart!.

I notice that New England haven't been storming to victory with ease as expected- will Tampa Bay turn them over. Looking at recent results its not unthinkable.

Miami got another win though! - 2 in a row is their longest winning streak in about 5 years!.

Silver lining is that everyone in your division lost in week 2, so it's all the same situation as with week 1! Still time to improve your form.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports Discussion