Sunderland v Arsenal

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Sunderland v Arsenal

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Arsenal will return to action after the international break in confident mood after the 1-0 derby win over Tottenham at the Emirates , also the deadline day £42 million signing of Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid will add some creativity to the team and
manager Arsene Wenger will be hoping he adapts quickly to his new club .

Sunderland continued their poor start to the season as they lost 3-1 to Crystal Palace , second from bottom and just a single point from the opening 3 games left manager Paolo Di Canio to comment " 3 poor and pathetic goals we conceded"
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm intrigued to see just precisely where Wenger utilise's Mezut Ozil in this
current Arsenal set up. Sunderland are in total disarray at the moment ,but
if anything Di Canio gums will still be bleeding after such serious teeth
gnashing at his hapless set of players ,so I expect a passionate bruising
encounter ,I suspect Arsenal's overall quality will see them through in the
end,and when such names as Ozil simply confirm that to be the case ,then
Di Canio's Sunderland will need to turn this into a war to glean anything from
the game.

0-1 Arsenal
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 am

I'm looking forward to seeing Ozil play his first game for Arsenal and if he can form an understanding with Giroud.

Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Did you know that Mesut Özil has registered 72 goal assists in the last five seasons - more than any other player across Europe's top five leagues.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Few more injuries cropped up for this fixture; with Ozil, Mertesacker and Rosicky out with illnesses and Cazorla a rumoured doubt. I don't think they'll make it easy for us but I think we'll get all three points.

1-0 Arsenal
Stan Kroenke's moustache
World Class
World Class

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Teams

Sunderland:
Westwood, Celustka, Colback, Roberge, Diakite, Vaughan, Mavrias, Ki, Johnson, Fletcher, Altidore.

Subs: Mannone, Brown, Larsson, Gardner, Wickham, Cuellar, Borini.

Arsenal:
Szczesny, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Sagna, Koscielny, Flamini, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Walcott, Giroud.

Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Monreal, Frimpong, Myaichi, Akpon, Gnabry.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:14 pm

FT

Sunderland 1-3 Arsenal
0-1 Giroud 11’
1-1 Gardner 48’ (pen.)
1-2 Ramsey 67’
1-3 Ramsey 76’

It took Ozil just 11 minutes to make his first assist for Arsenal setting up Giroud for his goal!

Aaron Ramsey was the man of the match with a stunning display for the Gunners resulting in his first ever double.

Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio was sent off by the referee in injury time for constantly complaining.

Any comments on todays result?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Decent outing for Ozil for a debut! Linked up well early as i would have imagined and his assist was classy. But as i predicted, as the game wore on he became less of a factor. Let me correct that i actually thought he would have such a performance against better teams than Sunderland. He was almost a ghost in that second half and up until the 65th minute of that half i didn't even know he was on the pitch! Compare this 42 mil quid players performnce to say Ramsey or Wilshere in terms of overall activity and input and i think i have every right to question that ridiculous price tag. He will have better game than this i am certain of it ,the only question is what type of teams they are against. Good to se Vermaelen back out there! I am so glad we won this game comfortably because the chances Walcott wasted were too many. Got to give some respect to the Sunderland goalie though ,he made some great saves. If i'm not mistaken i think this was the scoreline i predicted. :D
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby fakeplastictrees » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:17 pm

If Walcott wasn't so crap at everything other than being fast Ozil would have had 3 assists this game. For stat fans he completed more passes in the oppositions final third (34) than other player has in any other game in the Premiership this season.

He looked a class above and was just cutting Sunderland open for fun in the first half. Great debut.
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:21 pm

I can see now why Di Canio was so upset as the referee should have allowed play to
continue rather than to award a free kick when Sagna was all over the American striker Altidore.
Had the Sunderland players goal been allowed to stand it would have brought the game back to 2-2 and who knows what might have happened next.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:14 pm

fakeplastictrees wrote:If Walcott wasn't so crap at everything other than being fast Ozil would have had 3 assists this game. For stat fans he completed more passes in the oppositions final third (34) than other player has in any other game in the Premiership this season.

He looked a class above and was just cutting Sunderland open for fun in the first half. Great debut.

That was against that mountain of defensive superiority called Sunderland pal ,keep it in your pants FFS!
He was abysmal in that second half and you know that! 20 minutes in and i didn't even know he was playing!
HIs first half was as good as should be expected against such foe ,but expected that in the second half also at least up until the 75 minute ,but he couldn't achieve that. $42 million for player that is invisible on the pitch right AFTER the half time rest is joke thus far!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:00 pm

It must be remembered that Ozil had been unwell during the week so we were never going to see him at his best.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I think only a hatrick and complete dominance by Ozil over Sunderland would cause Specnur to compliment him . We all know Ozil is not worth £42 million as we all know Bale is not worth £85 million , the point is these are the prices clubs have to pay now and I wont be as harsh as to criticise Ozil just because he didn't decimate Sunderland on his debut .

He made the first goal for Giroud and on another day Walcott may have scored those two Ozil set up for him , ok he did nothing really in the second half but it is early days , Ramsey had another great game ...two super goals and I am sure some on here said Ramsey was a liability not so long ago , one problem is Kosceilny ...conceded another penalty ...no need to go lunging in like that .

The controversy about the goal that never was , the referee blew the whistle as soon as Sagna fouled him , so it didn't matter that Altidore ran on to score , Martin Atkinson perhaps should have played advantage to Sunderland but I guess every referee thinks differently ...Wenger had a point when he said if it had not been a goal then the ref would have been criticised for not giving a free kick .

Well ...Arsenal on top of the premier league ...it has been a while since I could say that . 8)
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Conner99 wrote:I think only a hatrick and complete dominance by Ozil over Sunderland would cause Specnur to compliment him . We all know Ozil is not worth £42 million as we all know Bale is not worth £85 million , the point is these are the prices clubs have to pay now and I wont be as harsh as to criticise Ozil just because he didn't decimate Sunderland on his debut .

He made the first goal for Giroud and on another day Walcott may have scored those two Ozil set up for him , ok he did nothing really in the second half but it is early days , Ramsey had another great game ...two super goals and I am sure some on here said Ramsey was a liability not so long ago , one problem is Kosceilny ...conceded another penalty ...no need to go lunging in like that .

The controversy about the goal that never was , the referee blew the whistle as soon as Sagna fouled him , so it didn't matter that Altidore ran on to score , Martin Atkinson perhaps should have played advantage to Sunderland but I guess every referee thinks differently ...Wenger had a point when he said if it had not been a goal then the ref would have been criticised for not giving a free kick .

Well ...Arsenal on top of the premier league ...it has been a while since I could say that . 8)

I was one of them who said Ramsey was a liability and i have come on here like a man and admitted to that from the start of the season. I tell it like it is every time Conner and for me signing Ozil is NOT the problem Buying him for 42 mil is joke because that price alone makes him a starter against big teams and i have yet to see him perform consistently against such teams where is worth that price. If Walcott was on song Ozil would have had a spectacular opening game ,but one cannot ignore the FACT he disappeared in that second half. I expected better than that against the level, but i give him the benefit if he was sick!
I'll just say if he was that sick why is he playing ahead over others Ramsey,Wilshere we far superior in my opinion so there was no need to play him. As i said Ozil will have better games than this ,but i am not judging a player we spent 42 mil in games against the likes of Sunderland. Hleb was consistently effective against every team in the premiership for a fraction of that price! Lass Diarra played that player off the pitch every game he started for real madrid and he went for 14 euros.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:38 pm

ok...well I cannot argue the fact that Ozil faded in the second half , but it was his first game for us and there is no way I am going to call a player a joke just because he didn't set the game on fire on his debut .

As for Hleb ..I liked him , but he had bad spells when he was rather average , he certainly didn't play as good as when he was with Stuttggart . I hope Ozil can reproduce the form that he showed while with Real Madrid ..for £42 million he needs to , and this season too.
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League