Swansea v Liverpool

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Swansea v Liverpool

Postby Conner99 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Swansea got their first premier league win of the season and first points as they beat West Brom 2-0 at the Liberty Stadium , it took a bit of pressure of manager Michael Laudrup who said after the match ."A very, very important win. An away win, a clean sheet and the way we did it was perfect. After two very difficult games it was so important to get something."

Liverpool remain top of the table after their 1-0 win over Man Utd at Anfield , and have now won their opening three games of the season , something they last achieved in 1994-95 . It left manger Brendan Rodgers with a big smile on his face , he said after the game ."it was a great result for us" .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 pm

I bet Daniel Sturridge will be fit again to play for Liverpool on Monday night having had to miss England's last 2 games.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby redpelt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Hams wrote:I bet Daniel Sturridge will be fit again to play for Liverpool on Monday night having had to miss England's last 2 games.

All pencilled in for a return to action on the 16th Sept : Toure,Allen and Sturridge.
As regards Sturridge and Toure, I fervently hope so anyway.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:54 pm

A win on Monday and we go three points clear at the top ,if that's not a glorious
incentive then I'm at a loss.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby KimKallstrom2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Credit where credit is due as far as Liverpool goes. Without your best player, too.

I do question how much of a factor Joe Allen's return is. Despite his price tag, I don't see him getting back into the team.

Is that French defender you signed ready to play yet?

I'll be watching this game later with interest. My prediction is 0-0. Swansea will be tougher than what their current league position suggests, given that their two losses so far have come against Man United and Spurs.
KimKallstrom2
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Swansea Starting line-up

M.Vorm ,A. Rangel,A. Williams,Flores,B. Davies,L. Britton,J. Shelvey,W. Routledge,Michu,Pablo,W. Bony

Liverpool Starting line-up

S. Mignolet,A. Wisdom,K. Touré,D. Agger,José Enrique,S. Gerrard,Lucas Leiva,J. Henderson,I. Aspas,Philippe Coutinho,D. Sturridge

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Teams

SWANSEA:
Vorm, Rangel, Chico Flores, Williams, Davies, Britton, Shelvey, Michu, Dyer, Routledge, Bony...

Subs: Tremmel, Jordi Amat, Tiendalli, de Guzman, Canas, Pozuelo, Vazquez.

LIVERPOOL:
Mignolet, Wisdom, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Moses, Sturridge...

Subs: Jones, Toure, Alberto, Aspas, Sterling, Ibe, Kelly.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:12 pm

HT

Swansea 1-2 Liverpool

1-0 Shelvey 2'

1-1 Sturridge 4'

1-2 Mosses 36'

Swansea's Shelvey has gone from hero to villain scoring the opener but then giving ball away to Mosses.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 pm

I'd love to know what Rodgers is saying at half time in every game so far,our second half performances so far have been baffling,worrying and very painful to watch..

Stoke,Villa,Notts County and now Swansea have all dominated us in each second half...i understand that Rodgers defended each lead and went on the counter attack and defended deeper but surely we can't keep doing this..no way should these teams mentioned be dominating us and making us want to hoof it long everytime...it's very painful.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:09 pm

FT

Swansea 2-2 Liverpool
1-0 Shelvey 2’
1-1 Sturridge 4’
1-2 Moses 36’
2-2 Michu 64'

Liverpool's winning run comes to an end but 1 point is enough to take them to the top of the table.

I don't think Shelvey will ever forget this game!

Any comments on tonights result? - Was a draw a fair outcome in the end with Swansea the better side in 2nd half?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby OWEN_ENG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 am

Hams wrote:FT

Swansea 2-2 Liverpool
1-0 Shelvey 2’
1-1 Sturridge 4’
1-2 Moses 36’
2-2 Michu 64'

Liverpool's winning run comes to an end but 1 point is enough to take them to the top of the table.

I don't think Shelvey will ever forget this game!

Any comments on tonights result? - Was a draw a fair outcome in the end with Swansea the better side in 2nd half?

Go figure...he was less than useless when he was with us, now he's scoring goals against us :roll:

Well, at this point, I will gladly take the undefeated title - though I have to admit I thought we would win this one comfortably.

Suarez can't return soon enough for me...not that the rest of the team isn't stepping up because they are, but Suarez's pace, trickery, and goal scoring can certainly only enhance our performances.
OWEN_ENG
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby mrtz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:49 am

We definitely missed Johnson, as Wisdom doesn't come anywhere close to what our first choice RB has to offer. All the workload was happening on the left through Enrique, Coutinho, and Moses, and you could see Moses was dragging his feet even before the 60th minute. We're overcompensating the deficiencies on the right (with Wisdom and Henderson), and it only got worse when Toure was forced to be a make-shift RB, effectively making him the slowest professional fullback I've seen in my life. How far is Kelly from full fitness?

Skrtel takes MOTM for me, simply because he probably saved us a point with two crucial blocks.

Like Gazza, the 2nd half performances worry me. I wonder what the fear is on putting consistent pressure during the 2nd half. What if we can't nick a goal in the 1st? The lads won't be prepared to go all out if we keep playing like this, and results will start working against us.

I can imagine things will be better if we unleash Suarez on the right side, allowing pretty much a free for all when it comes to positioning with Suarez, Sturridge, and Moses all capable of playing anywhere in the front 3. This allows Coutinho to pull the strings as well, with Gerrard and Lucas holding the middle. I hesitate taking Henderson off the first XI though, as I think he has been fantastic this season - reminding me a lot of someone like Dirk Kuyt. Nothing special, but a workhorse who just makes us so much better from his running alone.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:22 am

I thought the draw was a fair result, and Shelvey done really well to keep on pressing in the second half. I've never seen such a 'sick as a parrot' expression on a player's face at the start of the second half. The 'Pool clearly missed the influence of Coutinho in the second half, they should hope his injury is not long term.
The Swans look like they will be a difficult foe at home for another season, as for the Premiership title this season, it looks like it is going to very tight! Nobody looks massively impressive so far, and all the 'big' clubs have lost points. I'm beginning to have doubts about my original prediction of City...
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:13 am

Rodgers insistence on playing Gerrard for the full 90 mins is starting to
disconcert me as much as Wisdom at RB. Gerrard looks a spent force
come the second half ,and is possibly the primary reason we seem to
drop deeper after exerting so much energy in the first half.

I would give him 45 mins then move Henderson's with his boundless
energy in the middle,if nothing else it will provide Lucas with a partner
willing to make tackles. I would then bring on Moses as an impact sub.

At least this will ensure we're a touch more competitive in the second
half and our opponents would need to think about defending rather
than solely attacking our non existent midfield.

Still top ,but worrying.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 pm

OWEN_ENG wrote:
Well, at this point, I will gladly take the undefeated title - though I have to admit I thought we would win this one comfortably.

Suarez can't return soon enough for me...not that the rest of the team isn't stepping up because they are, but Suarez's pace, trickery, and goal scoring can certainly only enhance our performances.

I am happy too ....only a point ahead of us ... :wink: This game just shows that nothing is certain in football , a comfortable win for Liverpool ....without Shelvey being Liverpool`s extra man so to speak I think Brendan Rodgers would have been tasting his first defeat this season .

Suarez will definitely be needed ..Sturridge cannot do it all on his own .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Gazza-LFC wrote:I'd love to know what Rodgers is saying at half time in every game so far,our second half performances so far have been baffling,worrying and very painful to watch..

Stoke,Villa,Notts County and now Swansea have all dominated us in each second half...i understand that Rodgers defended each lead and went on the counter attack and defended deeper but surely we can't keep doing this..no way should these teams mentioned be dominating us and making us want to hoof it long everytime...it's very painful.

We seem to show nerves every second half. I really don't know how a winning team can go in at half time confident and dominant and come out shakey.

Luckily, we were resilient and strong in defence because Swansea came out fighting. We really should of won it in the first half but Swansea did just enough to deserve a point.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby mrtz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Conner99 wrote:
OWEN_ENG wrote:

I am happy too ....only a point ahead of us ... :wink: This game just shows that nothing is certain in football , a comfortable win for Liverpool ....without Shelvey being Liverpool`s extra man so to speak I think Brendan Rodgers would have been tasting his first defeat this season .

Suarez will definitely be needed ..Sturridge cannot do it all on his own .

I don't think so, because had Shelvey not been there, they would not have had the first goal, or the assist to Michu. It would have been a different result, but there's no way it translates to a defeat.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:57 pm

ok...maybe it would have been 0-0 then ... :wink:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:24 am

Conner99 wrote:ok...maybe it would have been 0-0 then ... :wink:

Had Ashley Williams not injured Coutinho with wreckless challenges, maybe the flow of our attack would of been a lot smoother and maybe could of won? :wink:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Gazza-LFC wrote:I'd love to know what Rodgers is saying at half time in every game so far,our second half performances so far have been baffling,worrying and very painful to watch..

he's probably getting his infamous envelopes out again.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League