Liverpool v Southampton

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Liverpool v Southampton

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Liverpool lost their 100% record as they were held by Swansea in a 2-2 draw at the Liberty Stadium , a point was enough though to take them above Arsenal and back on top of the Premier League table , manager Brendan Rodgers was perhaps the happiest of the two managers as the Reds faced growing pressure from Swansea for the last 25 minutes , he said after the match .."I was disappointed with their second goal and then the momentum changed for the last 25 minutes and we had to show character and resilience. "But we showed tonight our game is getting better and we have the character to get a lot of results."

Southampton could not find a way past West Ham as the game ended 0-0 , a position of 11th in the table is not bad though at this stage of the season , but manager Mauricio Pochettino was left frustrated after the game .."We created the better chances, we were much closer than they were to actually getting a victory today. "But in football, it is not just about creating chances, you need to be make them into goals. Today we weren't able to do it and we are frustrated by that.
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:40 pm

With Coutinho out injured for around 6 weeks Brendan Rodgers is going to have change his teams tactics.

Maybe this will be a good opportunity for Gerrard to start getting forward a bit more often having played a more defensive role recently.

Liverpool 2-0 Southampton.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby mrtz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:09 pm

I don't think Gerrard will be moving forward. Aspas will probably be put in Coutinho's spot.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:04 pm

If we can curb the invention of Lallana ,and quell the power of Schneiderlin in the
middle and the marauding runs from Shaw, then I think we can do enough to garner
all three points.

It certainly wont be an easy game though the Saints have bought well enough
in the window, and if Gerrard isnt 100% committed to providing Lucas with the
support then we could hand the initiative to Southampton and the impressive
(leg breaking tackles aside ) Schneiderlin.

The reds to shade this 1-0 ,just hope we can for once retain the energy levels
from the first half ,and really give a strong performance.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 pm

come on Southampton .... :lol:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Conner99 wrote:come on Southampton .... :lol:

:lol:

It could be worse mate ,we could be playing Stoke :wink:
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 am

Did you know that All five of Liverpool’s goals in the Barclays Premier League this season have come before half-time.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby mrtz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Coutinho, Agger, Suarez, and Johnson are all surely out.

Wonder if we are going to start Allen, Sterling or Aspas? Doubt we'll be starting Alberto. Gerrard and Henderson are the more versatile members of our midfield, so they will adjust depending on who starts.

I am hoping the big midfielders of Southampton don't outmuscle us.

Also, please, Brendan... do NOT put Toure at right back!!!
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:15 pm

I watched the U21's the other night at Anfield against Sunderland ,and Flanagan
who is possibly the only genuine RB we have available ,had a very good game ,and
if he had converted the audacious volley he attempted he would have trumped
Alberto for Man of the match.

I'd like to see Flanagan given another opportunity ,the lad was phenomenal when
he was first introduced against City and Arsenal respectively.It was only when a
bad mistake and a a slack back pass to Doni against Blackburn when we were
going through a period of uncertainty and now the lad is practically ostracised from
the first team entirely...... He's currently a far more solid RB than say the hapless
Wisdom.

Incidentally, Flanagan was moved to cover as CB when Jones was dismissed ,and Sterling
deputised at RB and both parties acquitted themselves splendidly.

Whilst we're talking about which players that could possibly figure, Alberto certainly
filled the void left by Texeira in the middle,and looked composed and assured throughout
the course of the game .....Slightly fortuitous hat-trick by the lad ,but his ability to
pick a pass was a contributing factor to Liverpool's win.

Jordan Rossiter in midfield certainly justified Robbie Fowler's claims that he's got the
capability to emulate Gerrard at the club ,the lad is a very gifted competitor who
has similar boundless energy and enthusiasm and an indomitable will to win that
Gerrard had at the same age .
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby OWEN_ENG » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Hams wrote:With Coutinho out injured for around 6 weeks Brendan Rodgers is going to have change his teams tactics.

Maybe this will be a good opportunity for Gerrard to start getting forward a bit more often having played a more defensive role recently.

Liverpool 2-0 Southampton.

I like the sound of that but he will probably sit back more.

Coutinho's absence surely means Sterling starts...

Nothing less than 3 points will do.
OWEN_ENG
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Gazza-LFC » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Inconsistent FC 0-1 Southampton

Here we go again,our fight for 8th place has started..
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Southampton's Dejan Lovren headed in the winning goal for the Saints on 53 minutes to end Liverpool's unbeaten run.

Any comments on todays result?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:22 pm

4 CB's ? If that isn't handing Southampton a huge slice of respect ,and what unfortunately
proved to be an incentive and confidence to snatch a winner,then I'm sadly at a loss to
explain. We clipped our own respective wings by condensing the play solely to the middle
of the park, Southampton never looked uncomfortable and imo were by far the most
cohesive team ,Gerrard was poor throughout and the obligatory snatching of the odd free
kick will not save fans from noticing this ....Again Rodger's played him till the end ,when he
was arguably the worst player on the pitch today .

Sterling is the most profligate player I have seen in a reds shirt since Ryan Babbel ,his
flouncing around with much arm waving after losing the ball worryingly more than repetitively
is painful to watch.

Mignolet ,was outstanding and just manages to shade Sakho as my star performer. Daniel
Sturridge was clearly not fit and looked sluggish and out of breath for most of the game.

Martin Kelly should have started today ,to at least provide the width we have been lacking
since Johnson's injury,and Alberto also, as we lacked any real composure with the ball.

Kudos to Southampton, who pressed and jostled us all game ,and thoroughly deserved the
three points for their application alone.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Shocking result this one!
Not because of it not being a possible result but the amount of pressure Liverpool applied after Southampton went up!
Liverpool front gave it everything and only a player of the calibre of Suarez would have made a difference.
What infuriates me about Sturridge is his decision making ,obviously you can;t argue against his scoring record ,but there comes a time when Rogers has to speak to the boy and ask him to be smarter.
It will make him a better player and more consistent against bigger teams.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Davey1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:32 am

redpelt wrote:4 CB's ? If that isn't handing Southampton a huge slice of respect ,and what unfortunately
proved to be an incentive and confidence to snatch a winner,then I'm sadly at a loss to
explain. We clipped our own respective wings by condensing the play solely to the middle
of the park, Southampton never looked uncomfortable and imo were by far the most
cohesive team ,Gerrard was poor throughout and the obligatory snatching of the odd free
kick will not save fans from noticing this ....Again Rodger's played him till the end ,when he

Sterling is the most profligate player I have seen in a reds shirt since Ryan Babbel ,his
flouncing around with much arm waving after losing the ball worryingly more than repetitively
is painful to watch.

Mignolet ,was outstanding and just manages to shade Sakho as my star performer. Daniel
Sturridge was clearly not fit and looked sluggish and out of breath for most of the game.

Martin Kelly should have started today ,to at least provide the width we have been lacking
since Johnson's injury,and Alberto also, as we lacked any real composure with the ball.

Kudos to Southampton, who pressed and jostled us all game ,and thoroughly deserved the

I second this.

Also, our tempo was slow and wasteful which lacked the energy we saw against Swansea in the first half.

Our full backs were centre backs. Ok, Toure got up in the first half once or twice but doesn't have the creativity to supply the wingers. Basically, our full backs were out-of-reach from our wingers. Our defence were flat, midfield were too deep and out of reach, our tempo was too slow and only picked up once Sterling was trying to get on the end of the runs, which is fine when you have a team that keeps pace but I saw barely any support. There was one opportunity where he drilled the ball across the centre straight into a defender. Mignolet had too much freedom and too much time on the ball. Don't know what the point in that was...
Agger had one lapse of concentration and we conceded from a corner given from sloppy play. I also think we sat FAR too deep.
Are we frightened of Rickie Lambert's pace? At St Mary's, fine. I understand that.. But Anfield?!

I'm very happy with our form so far this season but if I can spot these mistakes then there must be something wrong.
I hope Suarez's return gives the team a boost because we wont win against any team playing like that. I can't even praise Southampton's performance because they really should of buried us with the chances we gifted them. One from Lambert which he missed a volley.

I hope this game was an off game because they performance terrifies me.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Davey1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:39 am

specnur wrote:Shocking result this one!
Not because of it not being a possible result but the amount of pressure Liverpool applied after Southampton went up!
Liverpool front gave it everything and only a player of the calibre of Suarez would have made a difference.
What infuriates me about Sturridge is his decision making ,obviously you can;t argue against his scoring record ,but there comes a time when Rogers has to speak to the boy and ask him to be smarter.

Like against United?

I have to defend Sturridge because you can ask any fan who sees all his performances, he looks a bit jaded to me.

His decision making creatively isn't as good as Suarez's but you have to remember he's a poacher, not a creative forward like Suarez is. Also, his decisions to score more than Torres and Ba together since his arrival can't be that bad.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:50 am

Davey1 wrote:

Like against United?

I have to defend Sturridge because you can ask any fan who sees all his performances, he looks a bit jaded to me.

His decision making creatively isn't as good as Suarez's but you have to remember he's a poacher, not a creative forward like Suarez is. Also, his decisions to score more than Torres and Ba together since his arrival can't be that bad.

Emphasis on the word CONSISTENT!
With his talent ,of he makes the right decisions at a higher % he makes himself more unpredictable and his team more dangerous. If he continues being selfish he becomes easier to read in 50/50 decision making.
I do not believe he is a poacher i any sense of the word,he has the capability to create form almost nothing as i have seen him numerous times work the ball in off the wing and blast the ball in to the net from 25 yards. The only problem is is that he has taken to the Ronaldo model making it to success ,and the calibre of the league is higher than when Ronaldo was here and they are reading him. He really needs to model himself more on Thierry henry who had avery good goal to assist ratio and almost was still top scorer in the league.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Davey1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:26 pm

specnur wrote:
Davey1 wrote:

Like against United?

Emphasis on the word CONSISTENT!
With his talent ,of he makes the right decisions at a higher % he makes himself more unpredictable and his team more dangerous. If he continues being selfish he becomes easier to read in 50/50 decision making.
I do not believe he is a poacher i any sense of the word,he has the capability to create form almost nothing as i have seen him numerous times work the ball in off the wing and blast the ball in to the net from 25 yards. The only problem is is that he has taken to the Ronaldo model making it to success ,and the calibre of the league is higher than when Ronaldo was here and they are reading him. He really needs to model himself more on Thierry henry who had avery good goal to assist ratio and almost was still top scorer in the league.

I'm flattered you think he can model himself on such a legend as Thierry Henry but I don't believe he has the technique Henry possessed. I believe Sturridge is consistent and sometimes he's forced to hold the ball up, drop deep and switch to the flank, and he does it very well but he's most dangerous in the role he plays now, which is why he's scoring. We play 5 players behind the CF, asking the CF to create goals wouldn't get us many goals, yet more chances.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby redpelt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Davey1 wrote:
redpelt wrote:4 CB's ? If that isn't handing Southampton a huge slice of respect ,and what unfortunately

is painful to watch.

I second this.

Also, our tempo was slow and wasteful which lacked the energy we saw against Swansea in the first half.

Our full backs were centre backs. Ok, Toure got up in the first half once or twice but doesn't have the creativity to supply the wingers. Basically, our full backs were out-of-reach from our wingers. Our defence were flat, midfield were too deep and out of reach, our tempo was too slow and only picked up once Sterling was trying to get on the end of the runs, which is fine when you have a team that keeps pace but I saw barely any support. There was one opportunity where he drilled the ball across the centre straight into a defender. Mignolet had too much freedom and too much time on the ball. Don't know what the point in that was...
Agger had one lapse of concentration and we conceded from a corner given from sloppy play. I also think we sat FAR too deep.
Are we frightened of Rickie Lambert's pace? At St Mary's, fine. I understand that.. But Anfield?!

I'm very happy with our form so far this season but if I can spot these mistakes then there must be something wrong.
I hope Suarez's return gives the team a boost because we wont win against any team playing like that. I can't even praise Southampton's performance because they really should of buried us with the chances we gifted them. One from Lambert which he missed a volley.

I hope this game was an off game because they performance terrifies me.

I think that Gerrard's performances of late have been certainly worth fretting over
mate,I just fail to see how his undoubted fatigue in the second half of games can
seemingly go unnoticed by the manager. Why he persists with a player that becomes
for want of a better description a 'passenger' when we come out for the second half

I think he should start with Gerrard ,but when tiredness ensues, he should put Henderson
in the middle with Lucas and maybe introduce Ibe on the flanks.

I honestly believe this nostalgic belief by Rodgers that somehow Gerrard can regain the
form of yesteryear if he persists with his involvement for 90 mins will have a detrimental
effect on our season.

As for Sterling being the answer ,well that's another mystery mate ,the lads that lightweight
you could carry him on a spoon.

Lets hope youre right mate ,and Suarez completely changes the dynamic of the team.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:31 pm

there has been a history of managers failing to address the 'Gerrard' issue.

it's a monster created by the terraces.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League