Arsenal v Stoke

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Arsenal v Stoke

Postby Conner99 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Arsenal will head into the game with Stoke in confident mood having enjoyed a vital win over Marseille in the Champions league , it was a club record 10th successive away win for the Gunners and manager Arsene Wenger will hope his side can
transfer that form at home as they look to consolidate their position in the table .

Stoke had a good result against Man City last weekend , the game ended 0-0 and manager Mark Hughes was a little disappointed that his side didn't take all 3 pts against Man City , who made a statement of intent over the summer. He said after the game "we made them look quite ordinary today. In terms of chances and general play we were always looking positive."It was just a shame we didn't take our chances. Box to box we were excellent but we needed that killer instinct."
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:37 pm

THis game should be a doddle ,but we all know how lapse Arsenal have been against teams they should beat easily before.
It will be interesting to see if they have finally ironed out those overly confident kinks!
3-1 Arsenal
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28 am

with the way that Aaron Ramsey is playing at the moment this should be a comfortable home win for Arsenal.

Arsenal 3-0 Stoke.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:43 am

Agree with the above, it should be an easy game but in recent seasons we often have slipped up at home against the likes of Stoke.

Nevertheless, my prediction is 3-0 Arsenal, hopefully we can get to see Ozil make his home debut.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:59 pm

A bit of concern for me watching that first half was that Ozil had very little impact even though Stoke is not one of our greatest teams. They came out with a lot of pressure but i expect a bit more from a player priced at 42 mil. I'm hoping as Stoke start to tire in the second half Ozil will become more effective. Like to see a bit more form Wilshere but he could be a little off his game from the constant hacking at his legs early in this one.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:48 pm

ANother correct prediction from yours truly.
Have to give Ozil some credit for his part in all the goals ,but as the commentator for once rightly said,his overall performance wasn't that of his debut. The problem is with that comment is that he only lasted an half in that debut ,here he lasted about the same amount of time 60 odd minutes. Anyway good win but ,i wouldn't get too excited about it though.
I just hope we don't get too confident and play with fore against all levels of competition.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 pm

FT

Arsenal 3-1 Stoke
1-0 Ramsey 5’
1-1 Cameron 26’
2-1 Mertesacker 36’
3-1 Sagna 72'

Arsenal go to the top of the league!

Any comments on todays result?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:17 am

It really was interesting that all 3 of Arsenal's goals came from set pieces which Stoke are usually so good at defending!
I was expecting a bit more from Ozil on his home debut for Arsenal but I guess he will need time to adapt to playing in England
Aaron Ramsey once again had a wonderful game and continues to be the Gunners best player by far at this moment in time.

Whats going on at the Emirates now with those huge flags being waved behind the goals? It won't make the fans any more supportive and is pretty lame to be honest.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 am

Hams wrote:It really was interesting that all 3 of Arsenal's goals came from set pieces which Stoke are usually so good at defending!
I was expecting a bit more from Ozil on his home debut for Arsenal but I guess he will need time to adapt to playing in England
Aaron Ramsey once again had a wonderful game and continues to be the Gunners best player by far at this moment in time.

Whats going on at the Emirates now with those huge flags being waved behind the goals? It won't make the fans any more supportive and is pretty lame to be honest.

I like them! They were organised by RedActionFC I believe.

As for Ozil, I can agree, he was disappointing today but still got 3 assists, putting him top of the assists chart with 4 despite only playing 2 games. When he adapts to the PL he'll be awe-inspiring.

Not an exciting performance but it's good to see us grinding out these results. Say we are top of the league, say we are top of the league...
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby specnur » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:12 am

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:

As for Ozil, I can agree, he was disappointing today but still got 3 assists, putting him top of the assists chart with 4 despite only playing 2 games. When he adapts to the PL he'll be awe-inspiring.

Not an exciting performance but it's good to see us grinding out these results. Say we are top of the league, say we are top of the league...

Well this is where stats are quite misleading in terms of how effective a player is throughout a game.
One can look at these stats here without watching a game and make selection of he leagues "best" players ,quite similar to Lampard's goal stats. You'll pick that player based on those stats which fail to mention that he was anemic and a passenger in field play. Now before anyone says anything in defense of the player in question here ,tell me if you are willing to play these players in your biggest game based on stats against Stoke city and Sunderland?
To me Ozil's performance thus far has been more disappointing than even i expected ,because i thought he would waltz through this calibre of team. At times in this game i thought Ozil looked very intimidated especially early on ,and he had reason to be based on the treatment Wilshere was getting. But hey ,it never stopped Wilshere or Ramsey who suffered a career threatening injury against this very same team not so long ago from putting in a decent performance .
Man i hope he adapts better than he's looked so far ,because he's going to be one of the biggest busts since Schevchenko.

I just hope Wenger catches this run of form before the dressing room starts getting disillusioned with Ozil starting week in and week out in the meantime stinking up the pitch. oN a good note he did show a couple of signs of quickness and control under pressure ,but just not enough for most independent observers.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 am

specnur wrote:
Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:

Well this is where stats are quite misleading in terms of how effective a player is throughout a game.
One can look at these stats here without watching a game and make selection of he leagues "best" players ,quite similar to Lampard's goal stats. You'll pick that player based on those stats which fail to mention that he was anemic and a passenger in field play. Now before anyone says anything in defense of the player in question here ,tell me if you are willing to play these players in your biggest game based on stats against Stoke city and Sunderland?
To me Ozil's performance thus far has been more disappointing than even i expected ,because i thought he would waltz through this calibre of team. At times in this game i thought Ozil looked very intimidated especially early on ,and he had reason to be based on the treatment Wilshere was getting. But hey ,it never stopped Wilshere or Ramsey who suffered a career threatening injury against this very same team not so long ago from putting in a decent performance .
Man i hope he adapts better than he's looked so far ,because he's going to be one of the biggest busts since Schevchenko.

I just hope Wenger catches this run of form before the dressing room starts getting disillusioned with Ozil starting week in and week out in the meantime stinking up the pitch. oN a good note he did show a couple of signs of quickness and control under pressure ,but just not enough for most independent observers.

I would agree mostly, but I think it's way too early to decide how his career at the club will pan out and I wouldn't say the stats are misleading whatsoever. We haven't had a solid set-piece taker since Fabregas and all of his crosses were far better than we've seen for years - why do you not consider them to be part of his play?
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Conner99 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 pm

well I thought it was a good performance from us , we are starting to look as if things are coming together . It was another great game for Aaron Ramsey and with Ozil and Wilshire playing together it looks as if we could be building something special here , the return of Arteta is also good news .

That is now seven wins in a row and consistency is what we failed at badly last season ...I hope this time we can avoid losing points by giving away silly goals and making the most of our chances .

Hope Walcott is not our for too long ...
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote: We haven't had a solid set-piece taker since Fabregas and all of his crosses were far better than we've seen for years - why do you not consider them to be part of his play?

Set pieces are a small part of the overall play of game. Do you want to carry a player for 90% of the game just because he takes good set pieces? You are basically playing with 10 men and against the top teams you will get killed .I would prefer a player that is effective 90% of the time and takes a crap set play any time of the day!
It's basically what i have ben saying about numerous player including Lampard.Great at slotting in goals against lower level opposition but crap for 95% of the big games.
I'm not writing Ozil off by any means,but i merely questioned his ability based on what i have seen him do against the best teams so far. Only time will tell if my concerns are warranted, so far it doesn't look good.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:30 pm

well Ozil will certainly have to perform a lot better to justify his £42 million fee , which of course was way too high to start with anyway , but for now he has done ok ...both Podolski and Giroud didn't take too long too settle so i am hoping Ozil will be the same .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Conner99 wrote:well Ozil will certainly have to perform a lot better to justify his £42 million fee , which of course was way too high to start with anyway , but for now he has done ok ...both Podolski and Giroud didn't take too long too settle so i am hoping Ozil will be the same .

You think Podolski has lived up to the hype Conner?
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 pm

yes , I think he has been a really good buy , he has been unlucky in that he has been used sparingly by Wenger who seems to have preferred Giroud even though at the time Podolski was scoring and in form . Both Giroud and Podolski have done well since their arrival at Arsenal ...Podolski was just getting a bit more match play when he was unfortunately injured so he will have to work his way back again once he is fit .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 pm

a bit of photo trickery I presume ... :wink:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League