Tottenham v Chelsea

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Tottenham v Chelsea

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Tottenham warmed up for the big game at Stamford Bridge on saturday with a 4-2 win at Aston Villa in the League Cup , Jermaine Defoe scored twice as Tottenham continued their impressive start to the season .

Chelsea eased past Swindon Town 2-0 in their League Cup tie , Jose Mourinho made 10 changes from the side that beat Fulham 2-0 at the weekend , including much talked about midfielder Juan Mata . The word from Jose is that every Chelsea player has to contribute offensively and defensively when they have the ball .

It should be quite a game at White Hart Lane ...........we hope .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:16 pm

The Apprentice v The Master!

The last time Chelsea failed to score in 3 PL away fixtures was back in April 2002.

Did you know that none of Chelsea’s strikers have scored a Barclays Premier League goal yet this season!

Spurs have only ever won 3 out of 42 PL fixtures against The Blues from West London.

I think this will be a very close game but Mourinho's side will come out on top in the end with a 2-1 win.

Spurs 1-2 Chelsea
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:15 am

I guess the obvious call for this game is a draw, and I think both clubs wouldn't be too unhappy if that how it ends up. However, it is precisely this type of game we have to win if we are going to rattle a few cages among the usual suspects at the top of the Prem. In our last game against Villa we showed signs of being a team that was starting to gel and form understandings between defence, midfield and attack. OK, Chelsea are a different proposition to Villa but I think we have enough weapons to hurt them.
Spurs 2 Chelsea 0.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:43 pm

before anyone asks ...there is no truth in the rumour that Tottenham have already sent the 3 points off on a courier to Stamford Bridge such is their poor record against Chelsea in the premier league . In 42 meetings with Chelsea they have won just 3 times . However ..yes there is hope for Tottenham , they have only conceded one goal so far this season and Chelsea have not exactly been on top form lately .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Teams

TOTTENHAM:
Lloris; Walker, Naughton, Dawson, Vertonghen; Paulinho, Dembele, Townsend, Eriksen, Sigurdsson; Soldado...

Subs: Friedel, Chirches, Lamela, Holtby, Chadli, Sandro, Defoe.

CHELSEA:
Cech; Ivanovic, David Luiz, Terry, Cole; Mikel, Lampard; Ramires, Oscar, Hazard; Torres...

Subs: Schwarzer, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Essien, Mata, Schurrle, Eto’o.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:54 pm

HT

Tottenham 1-0 Chelsea

Sigurdsson 19'
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:54 pm

FT

Tottenham 1-1 Chelsea
1-0 Sigurdsson 19'
1-1 Terry 65’

Its finished all square at WHL.

Spurs go top of the table for now.

Fernando Torres was sent off on 81 minutes!

Any comments on todays match? - Was a draw a fair result?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Fair result (even though the Torres sending off was a farce) though we were holding on in the second half. I'm guessing Mourinho will play Mata from the start next game, he made a difference and brought his team back into the game. Anyhoo, I'm a happy chap.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Haven't read any of the other posts here so excuse me if i'm repeating anything said previous. I'm at the 70 th minute of this match and i have heard the commentator mention Lampard's name yet in this second half. For a central mid fielder in the modern game i find that an embarrassment! Key phrase Mourinho needs to get into his head is "movement with he ball"!
BOth Mikel and Ramires offer better movement with the ball going forward than Lampard ,but just as importantly they are both superior defensively that the fat brit! MOurinho brings Schurrle on for Hazard?????? A bizarre move if you ask me ,totally eclipsing AVB's subbing of Naughton for CHadli ,because Naughton offers better quickness in defending against Mata and Oscar.
Wrong call form mIke dean in sending Torres off ,made no contact with vertongen ,but it was an aggressive move and nothing more. Now chelsea are playing with 9 men instead of 10 unless you include Lampard who has done nothing!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:30 pm

Torres gets his claws into Vertonghen

Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 pm

It was a game of 2 halves!

Tottenham were the better team in the 1st half.

Chelsea improved after the break when Juan Mata was brought on.

Did Torres deserve to be sent off?

It was certainly stupid of him to scratch Vertonghen's face but his 2nd yellow seemed harsh to me.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Hams wrote:It was a game of 2 halves!

Tottenham were the better team in the 1st half.

Chelsea improved after the break when Juan Mata was brought on.

Did Torres deserve to be sent off?

It was certainly stupid of him to scratch Vertonghen's face but his 2nd yellow seemed harsh to me.

Mourinho has called Vertonghen a "disgrace" for his conduct in the game. After watching the highlights in detail, I'm of the view that justice prevailed and Torres got his comeuppance. With the Torres 'face scratching' footage I'm interested to see if Chelsea appeal the red card....
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:10 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:Fair result (even though the Torres sending off was a farce) though we were holding on in the second half. I'm guessing Mourinho will play Mata from the start next game, he made a difference and brought his team back into the game. Anyhoo, I'm a happy chap.

so am I ... :wink: a draw was the best result for us really .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:25 pm

As regards the challenge that saw Torres leave the field earlier than intended,I
thought Vertonghen's adaptation of ' I've Just been hit in the face with a lump
of two by four' would have made Marcel Marceau proud.

Other than that I suppose it was retribution for the face clawing ,which I am
led to believe is a common threat for doormen when dealing with irate women.

Harsh Red ,but I think the FA will throw the proverbial book at Torres for the
violence shown towards Vertonghen.

As for the game ,well its already been stated it was clearly a game of two halves
one in which Eriksson and the work on the flanks from spurs defenders dominated
proceedings....The other when Chelsea seized back control by introducing a more
inventive option in Mata.

Fair result in the end,but arguably better for Mourinho who seems to be picking up
nothing less than a point at the home of his most difficult competitors.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 pm

i agree that Vertonghen is a disgrace. didn't realise what a whiny little bitch he was.

while the claw thing would probably be a justified red i don't think the challenge for the header was even a foul. all in all anotehr atrocious performance from a match official.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Fernando Torres wont face any further action for scratching Vertonghen's face as
one of the officials saw the incident and did nothing about it at the time so he will only be banned for 1 game.

Are the FA wrong not to take this any further?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:03 pm

that is what I cannot understand about that rule , if an official sees an incident and does nothing then that is that ..incredible , why did he do nothing ? Did he think it was ok to claw at an opponents face like that ?
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:14 pm

There was no permanent damage done, so I'm not really bothered by the one match ban. The two players were at each other's throats right up to the sending off.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Return to Barclays Premier League