Sunderland v Liverpool

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Sunderland v Liverpool

Postby Conner99 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Sunderland will face Liverpool on Saturday without Paolo Di Canio after his sacking on Monday , coach Kevin Ball will take temporary charge of the team as they try to climb off the bottom of the premier league table . With just one point from five games played it will be a tough task for whoever is given the job full time .

But right now coach Kevin Ball will need to get his players ready for the arrival of Liverpool , a nice ice cold coke before the game should work wonders ..surely .

Liverpool have seen their unbeaten run ended and their position on top of the premier league gone in recent weeks , a 2-2 draw at Swansea saw them drop to 5th in the table and it must be a big relief for manager Brendan Rodgers that banned striker Luis Suarez is available again after his brush with cannibalism , he has said Luis owes the fans after the summer fracas with his attempted transfer to Arsenal .

Will the sunday papers have something to write about ... ?
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Davey1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't think there is a better time to play Sunderland away.

Hoping for a win. Predicting 0-2 Suarez and Sturridge.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:32 pm

It looks like Kevin Ball will be in charge for Sunderand on Sunday with the Wearsiders yet to name a new manager.

Liverpool are still the only PL team yet to score in the 2nd half of game this season but do now have Luis Suarez back.

Mignolet and Henderson will both want to do well against their old clubs and will be sure to get a rough reception from home fans.

Hopefully there won't be any beach balls about this time :lol:

Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool (Suarez in 1st half)
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Gazza-LFC » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:16 pm

This game reminds me of a few years ago when we played Southampton in a similar situation we have now,if i'm not mistaken we were on a really good run under Phil Thompson as Houillier was recovering,Southampton had just changed manager as they were hopeless and rock bottom...the game was also live on Sky and Southampton put in a great performance and beat us 2-0..

A few years after that Sunderland themselves did a similar thing to us,they again were rock bottom and going nowhere but a new manager came in (McCarthy i think) and beat us with another performance out of nowhere.

I'm more worried now than i were a few days ago when Di Canio was in charge,under Di Canio Sunderland were heading towards the Championship very quickly,no player was motivated enough and they all looked lost,now they look like brand new players who will all want to prove something..

I hope i'm wrong but i just think Liverpool right now after not winning in three games are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Liverpool win 4-1 ...Suarez gets a hatrick but then gets sent off for after biting the goalkeepers head off .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:10 pm

We need this win to prevent us falling down the table and nestling
more than a little uncomfortably into familiar territory.

Possibly the most important game we have had for a while ,and in terms
of traversing the confidence two defeats depletes its essential that we
sustain our early season form and not fall to far off the much coveted
fourth place....Especially with a lot of the teams in contention having
difficult games this coming weekend.

Suarez with the first ,Henderson with the winner.....I hear Agger is back
so that has to be a plus.

1-2 Liverpool
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:12 am

I forecast this as a 1-1 draw based almost entirely on the fact that Di Canio is no longer in charge. When you throw in a boss who is clearly not popular with the players or fans, his departure is almost as good as a new signing. Sunderland will be up for this, so Liverpool should go for the jugular and grab two or three goals without reply in the first half.
The longer the game goes without a goal......[©Football commentators clichés no.37]
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Teams

Sunderland:
Westwood, Gardner, Colback, O'Shea, Cuellar, Larsson, Ki, Cattermole, Johnson, Giaccherini, Altidore.

Subs: Wickham, Celustka, Ba, Mannone, Ji, Roberge, Mavrias.

Liverpool:
Mignolet, Toure, Sakho, Skrtel, Enrique, Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard, Moses, Suarez, Sturridge.

Subs: Jones, Agger, Aspas, Ilori, Sterling, Ibe, Wisdom.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:12 pm

HT

Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool

Sturridge and Suarez
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Another football kit disaster by Warrior wear!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Another game where we concede in the first few minutes of the 2nd half..

Why on earth are we allowing Sunderland to dominate all possession?

Here we go again :roll:
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:09 pm

FT

Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool
0-1 Sturridge 28’
0-2 Suarez 36’
1-2 Giaccherini 52'
1-3 Suarez 89'

Liverpool go up to 2nd in the table and manage to also score in the 2nd half!

Should Sturridge's goal have been allowed though as it clearly went in off his arm?

It was encouraging performance from Sunderland who created plenty of chances.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Every Liverpool fan will file this under "result was more important than performance" and quite rightly so, job done. Sunderland held their own and, if they had any cutting edge up front, could have scraped a point out of the encounter.
I have two Spurs supporting brothers who were irked that Liverpool now have second spot instead of us. What is second spot worth in September?

Good night gentle reader.....
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Every Liverpool fan will file this under "result was more important than performance" and quite rightly so, job done. Sunderland held their own and, if they had any cutting edge up front, could have scraped a point out of the encounter.
I have two Spurs supporting brothers who were irked that Liverpool now have second spot instead of us. What is second spot worth in September?

it is second spot and not third ..I would be a bit miffed too , I was annoyed when Spurs went above us for a little while yesterday ..it is early but to be above one of your rivals is always good . :)

Liverpool just had that extra bit of quality available ....Luis Suarez .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:24 pm

I thought we strived efficiently enough to win the midfield battle ,with Lucas in
particularly effective in suppressing Cattermole and co in the middle. I thought
Toure put in a performance so complete it amounted to being positively grotesque
in terms of quality,and Sakho won everything and comfortably stifled ,indeed
snuffed out completely the threat of Altidore with aplomb.

Sturridge was excellent and linked superbly with the returning Suarez ,the two
almost telepathic at times in their reading of each others game.

Gerrard was decent in the first half and his ball to Sturridge was manna from the
Gods,but once again he all but disappeared in the second 45,and never even made
a tackle or interception.

Henderson ran his legs off ,but strangely on this occasion couldn't find a player with
any of the crosses he put in...Still trying to charge the ball down in the 90th minute
and for me that's why we need him as an alternative to combat the current loss of
Gerrards spatial awareness ,which invariably sees him end up at the wrong end of the
football pitch........ Harsh, I really don't know any more ?

Suarez looked slightly heavy footed today ,but then again if he keeps scoring braces
he can line up in divers boots for all I care.

Enrique gets forward well enough ,but needs to be concentrated more ,he seemed to
be more than a touch lackadaisical when in possession of the ball.

As for Moses ,I was genuinely mystified to why he was withdrawn for Sterling ,I genuinely
don't see what he gives to the team in terms of making a difference....Although he does
do a quite amazing tribute to Samuel L Jacksons Mr Glass.

Three points and second in the league .....that will do for now.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:44 pm

The type of decision making Sturridge made today is the type that will make him and Liverpool a very difficult combo to read!
He makes himself a more dangerous player by making those decisions and i feared that he would over emphasize his importance by taking shots that are not there now that Suarez is back! But i have to give the young lad the respect due and say he played like a real player today!
Man of the match performance for me from him!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby mrtz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 am

mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Davey1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:Every Liverpool fan will file this under "result was more important than performance" and quite rightly so, job done. Sunderland held their own and, if they had any cutting edge up front, could have scraped a point out of the encounter.

I wouldn't be too bothered mate. Cardiff and Hull are in the top of the table, we have enough time to drop out of contention.
I'm happy we're second but experience tells me it's too early to start offering Champions League to potential transfer targets. :lol:
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Davey1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 am

redpelt wrote:I thought we strived efficiently enough to win the midfield battle ,with Lucas in
particularly effective in suppressing Cattermole and co in the middle. I thought
Toure put in a performance so complete it amounted to being positively grotesque
in terms of quality,and Sakho won everything and comfortably stifled ,indeed
snuffed out completely the threat of Altidore with aplomb.

Sturridge was excellent and linked superbly with the returning Suarez ,the two
almost telepathic at times in their reading of each others game.

Gerrard was decent in the first half and his ball to Sturridge was manna from the
Gods,but once again he all but disappeared in the second 45,and never even made
a tackle or interception.

Henderson ran his legs off ,but strangely on this occasion couldn't find a player with
any of the crosses he put in...Still trying to charge the ball down in the 90th minute
and for me that's why we need him as an alternative to combat the current loss of
Gerrards spatial awareness ,which invariably sees him end up at the wrong end of the
football pitch........ Harsh, I really don't know any more ?

Suarez looked slightly heavy footed today ,but then again if he keeps scoring braces
he can line up in divers boots for all I care.

Enrique gets forward well enough ,but needs to be concentrated more ,he seemed to
be more than a touch lackadaisical when in possession of the ball.

As for Moses ,I was genuinely mystified to why he was withdrawn for Sterling ,I genuinely
don't see what he gives to the team in terms of making a difference....Although he does
do a quite amazing tribute to Samuel L Jacksons Mr Glass.

Three points and second in the league .....that will do for now.

Absolutely agree. Why substitute Moses when he didn't even look the slightest bit fatigued, was unlucky not to score and was a constant threat. Maybe he wanted to give Sterling an unpressurised 15 minutes but I would of taken off Hendo, who's positioning was fantastic but his crosses were terrible.

Rodgers randomly criticized the subs bench last week but I like our subs. His £8m signing is on the bench lol. contradicting himself.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Despite Suarez scoring twice I agree that Daniel Sturridge was the man of the match on Sunday.
I just hope that when England take on Montenegro and Poland next month he doesn't pick up another mystery injury to prevent him playing.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League