Swansea v Arsenal

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Swansea v Arsenal

Postby Conner99 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Swansea saw their reign as League Cup holders ended as they lost 3-1 to Birmingham City last night , it was left for manager Michael Laudrup to wonder if the 10 changes he made to his side was worth it as they face Arsenal in the league on Saturday . He seemed to have no regrets though as he commented after the match "We should have won this game after the first half , We won this (Capital One Cup) last year and when you are champions you want to go a little bit further than this. It's the first game and we are out in a game we could and should have won."

Arsenal kept their record breaking away win run intact as they beat West Brom 4-3 on penalties after it finished 1-1 after extra time , manager Arsene Wenger gave his youngsters a chance to show what they can do in a much changed side and it paid off as they kept their nerve to score 4 out of the 5 penalties to set up a meeting with Chelsea at the Emirates in the next round .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Arsenal have been brilliant away from home this season and should make it 8 PL away wins in a row against Swansea.

There is a doubt at the moment on if Aaron Ramsey who has been the Gunners best player will take part as he has a thigh injury.

Swansea 1-3 Arsenal
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Conner99 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:23 pm

it is always a difficult game playing Swansea , I would hope with the players we have now and our away form we can do enough to beat Swansea .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:27 am

I expect Arsenal to be too strong for Swansea, even though can be difficult to break down at home. Laudrup is a fine manager, but silk purse/sow's ear and all that.
Swansea 1 Arsenal 2
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Teams

Swansea
Vorm, Tiendalli, Amat, Flores, Davies, Canas, Shelvey, de Guzman, Dyer, Routledge, Michu.

Subs: Tremmel, Alfei, Taylor, Britton, Pozuelo, Vazquez, Bony.

Arsenal:
Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Wilshere, Ramsey, Flamini, Ozil, Gnabry, Giroud.

Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Monreal, Jenkinson, Arteta, Ryo, Bendtner.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:20 pm

No Ashley Williams in defence for Swansea today.

If Arsenal lose this could end up as one of the greatest ever days for shock results in the PL!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:36 pm

HT

Swansea 0-0 Arsenal
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:45 pm

FT

Swansea 1-2 Arsenal
0-1 Gnabry 58'
0-2 Ramsey 62'
1-2 Davies 82'

Arsenal win their 8th away league game in a row and go back to the top of the table.

It was another man of the match display from Aaron Ramsey who didn't take any notice of the taunts for being an ex Cardiff.

It was a poor first half but the Gunners upped the tempo in the 2nd period and Swansea left it too late to make a comeback.

Any comments on another Arsenal away win?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Swansea proving once again how strong a unit they can be at home ,I thought
Arsenal today put in a really gritty performance to combat the rapier like attack
of this Swansea team.

All in all it was a very enjoyable match with both teams looking formidable going
forward ,Ramsey and in particular Gnabry were exceptional at the start of the
second half .....All the clean up work done by the tenacious Flamini ,arguably
Arsenal's most important signing in providing a back bone to what's evolving into
a very efficient Arsenal team.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Well I wouldn't agree that it was an entertaining game, not in the first half anyway. However, as forecast the Swans put up gallant resistance but were inevitably undone by a team with more creativity and more attacking options. I'm still a little undecided about Arsenal as championship pretenders this season, they look strong but I think they could do with strengthening the squad still more in January.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Well I wouldn't agree that it was an entertaining game, not in the first half anyway. However, as forecast the Swans put up gallant resistance but were inevitably undone by a team with more creativity and more attacking options. I'm still a little undecided about Arsenal as championship pretenders this season, they look strong but I think they could do with strengthening the squad still more in January.

As regards the intrinsic war of attrition I believed it would be , I thought the
first half surpassed all my expectation's,and in terms of predicting the second
half would be significantly more open than the first ,that swell of foresight didn't
let me down either.

An engaging encounter I thought ,with Swansea bossing the majority of possession
and Arsenal proving their invention in the final third will prove more than just a sturdy
sword arm this coming season.

I think Arsenal are a much stronger team than last season mate ,and the recruitment
of Flamini has eradicated Arsenals supposed soft underbelly to the extent they can now
travel to places like Swansea and put in a combative performance and still have the
quality to garner all three points. .... I guess that's what for me personally made the
performance so impressive.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:37 pm

redpelt wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:Well I wouldn't agree that it was an entertaining game, not in the first half anyway. However, as forecast the Swans put up gallant resistance but were inevitably undone by a team with more creativity and more attacking options. I'm still a little undecided about Arsenal as championship pretenders this season, they look strong but I think they could do with strengthening the squad still more in January.

As regards the intrinsic war of attrition I believed it would be , I thought the
first half surpassed all my expectation's,and in terms of predicting the second
half would be significantly more open than the first ,that swell of foresight didn't
let me down either.

An engaging encounter I thought ,with Swansea bossing the majority of possession
and Arsenal proving their invention in the final third will prove more than just a sturdy
sword arm this coming season.

I think Arsenal are a much stronger team than last season mate ,and the recruitment
of Flamini has eradicated Arsenals supposed soft underbelly to the extent they can now
travel to places like Swansea and put in a combative performance and still have the
quality to garner all three points. .... I guess that's what for me personally made the
performance so impressive.

Fair enough, no quarrels with the assertion that Arsenal are stronger than last season, I did predict an Arsenal win (1-2 to the Gooners in fact, wish I'd had a little punt on that scoreline) but they cannot possibly hope to put up a sustained challenge in the Premiership and the CL without a bit more investment in the playing staff. I don't think many Gooners would disagree with me on that point, and I have a feeling the purse strings will be loosened again in January if they are still in contention to win the league. With Man Utd currently sliding down the league, and Man City entertaining us all by losing to teams put together with what they would consider to be loose change, Arsenal are players.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:04 am

well the only way to be prove we are title contenders is to keep on winning matches , it is a long way to go and we are currently on top of the league ..but I wont get too excited just yet , it is our best start for years though and the few players we have brought in will make us stronger as a team .

The game was again not a classic as we did not play well in the first half , we had enough class though to get the goals to win the match and a very good game from Gnabry ...Ramsey showing his quality yet again with another great goal .

I never though I would be saying this ...we are 8 pts clear of Man Utd ... :shock:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:29 am

Top of the league and pulling away! :D :D :D
NOt complaining about the performance of the team in general, i will however complain and reinforce my fears on Ozil. Again 42 mil quid for that performance!!!!!!!
Flipping Ramsey you couldn't dream the start this kid is having to a season. If someone would have said two years ago he would be doing this i would have laughed you of the forum.
We didn't buy the players that i thought we needed ,but he is like a new player. Gnabry also is putting in some very good performances also the goal today was key.
Some great defensive work put in by Koscielny!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:42 am

specnur wrote:Top of the league and pulling away! :D :D :D
NOt complaining about the performance of the team in general, i will however complain and reinforce my fears on Ozil. Again 42 mil quid for that performance!!!!!!!
Flipping Ramsey you couldn't dream the start this kid is having to a season. If someone would have said two years ago he would be doing this i would have laughed you of the forum.
We didn't buy the players that i thought we needed ,but he is like a new player. Gnabry also is putting in some very good performances also the goal today was key.
Some great defensive work put in by Koscielny!

2 years ago he was coming off the back of a career-threatening injury, maybe you should have given him more time ;).

We obviously haven't had many difficult fixtures so far this season, but this was one of them and I'm very happy we got the three points; especially with the rest of the top four slipping up. Surely Ramsey's going to win PL Player of the Month?

It was good to see Wenger giving the fighting talk of needing to win something this year, after holding onto all of our players and of course buying Ozil, with a couple additions in Jan this year is definitely the time to go for the league.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Simply » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:23 pm

specnur wrote:We didn't buy the players that i thought we needed ,but he is like a new player. Gnabry also is putting in some very good performances also the goal today was key.

..don't say that too loud.. he is german :!:
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Simply wrote:
specnur wrote:We didn't buy the players that i thought we needed ,but he is like a new player. Gnabry also is putting in some very good performances also the goal today was key.

..don't say that too loud.. he is german :!:

:D I have no problem with german players ,i have a lot of problems with people who think All german player are good by default because they are at a top club in that inferior league! :)
Gnabry is plying his trade as an 18 year old in the best league in the world ,the boy could be a very good player based on those facts! NOw you look at the performance of the likes of Podolski, Schurrle and ozil so far and i think i have made my point! None of those "highly rated" players have lived up to the hype!
In fact Gnabry is playing all of them off the pitch so far !
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:32 pm

specnur wrote:Gnabry is plying his trade as an 18 year old in the best league in the world ,the boy could be a very good player based on those facts! NOw you look at the performance of the likes of Podolski, Schurrle and ozil so far and i think i have made my point! None of those "highly rated" players have lived up to the hype!

I tend to disagree with you on Poldolski , when he has played ..in my opinion... he has done pretty well and scored a few goals . He was also a lot cheaper than Ozil ... his injury came at the worst possible time and I imagine he will have to fight to get back into the first team .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:
2 years ago he was coming off the back of a career-threatening injury, maybe you should have given him more time ;).

I never rated him as highly as others before his injury! I said many times after his injury that i don't know if he's going to be the same player .Based on how average i thought he was before the injury and the effect a terrible thing like that can have on you psychologically i think i was definitely justified in my opinion. The fact that he's proven me wrong is nothing short of a miracle ,because you can scour the pages of this forum and you wouldn't find 3 instances where that has been the case by neither man or beast! I give Wenger all credit for that ! Long may it continue and long may he stay healthy!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Conner99 wrote:
specnur wrote:Gnabry is plying his trade as an 18 year old in the best league in the world ,the boy could be a very good player based on those facts! NOw you look at the performance of the likes of Podolski, Schurrle and ozil so far and i think i have made my point! None of those "highly rated" players have lived up to the hype!

I tend to disagree with you on Poldolski , when he has played ..in my opinion... he has done pretty well and scored a few goals . He was also a lot cheaper than Ozil ... his injury came at the worst possible time and I imagine he will have to fight to get back into the first team .

I don;t think you would find another Arsenal fan on this forum who would agree with you mate!
All the talk of Podolski being signed was a massive coup for ARsenal. "A big player getting signed" and all that crap, the player was average mate.Lets say it was first season blues if you want ,but again i never rated the player when everyone else was.
He came to the league just as Ozil has and performed below the expectations of everyone who had any opinion of the player.
Podolski scored goals but he was never a ARsenal regular when healthy and he was ineffective in too many big games and was always subbed off .
specnur
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League