Will David Moyes be able to turn it around at Man Utd?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Will David Moyes be able to turn it around at Man Utd?

Postby Hams » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:04 am

Man Utd have had their worst start to a season since the PL began 20 years ago.

Will David Moyes be able turn things around or is he part of what ever the problem is?

The Old Trafford side had an awful summer in the transfer market and missed out on most of their targets.

Sure they may have managed to keep Rooney and sign Fellaini but that clearly wasn't good enough.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby specnur » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:18 pm

It is going exactly how i predicted when the before the ink dried on his contract!
The results are not going as planned and the murmuring are starting already . All the talk about the patience he will or should be offered will become a distant memory .We just don't live in an age where patience is afforded to anyone.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:42 pm

As much as I like David Moyes, and respect his achievements with Everton on very little money, I suspect he may not be the right man to take on the biggest club manager's role in England.
I remember a TV feature on Everton in the year they qualified for the CL (remember that? the man is no mug), and Moyes was heard to say he could hardly believe they were preparing to play in the Champions League. That is the difference between these top managers with massive egos and Moyes. The likes of Fergie or Mourinho would expect such success, almost as a right, because they have such self belief. I think Moyes is a bit more like most of us, with a few self doubts, and maybe even a bit more humility than the old big 'eds.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:26 pm

it would be a huge embarrassment to Man Utd ..Sir Alex Ferguson and all those who aid David Moyes is the one to take over at Old Trafford . I think it is far too early to talk about sacking Moyes ....only 6 games for goodness sake , if December comes and they are still in the same position then I would be more concerned .

The fact is Moyes needs time to get to know his players and how to use them in the best way ...it wont be easy .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Seamus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 pm

United have been in decline for a few years but last season the signing of RVP and Citys refusal to make a big signing handed the title to United and many said that they were probably the poorest title winners the Premier League has seen. Now all Uniteds rivals have spent big and there is an air of insecurity about the direction of the club it is only natural that things have gone pear shaped. There will be a period of adjustment that may take a season or 2 but as long as we don't drastically fail and finish outside the top 4 I think we will challenge for the title again as long as the Glazers are willing to spend.
Seamus

Postby specnur » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:12 am

I think a manager with a bit of modern thinking would have taken what Fergie had left and maybe instead of buying a Felliani would have bought someone like a Modric to combine with Kagawa. Right now all the creative load is on kagawa with Rooney chipping in somewhat. You can't take the same team that won the title to the middle of the table without looking at the manager as the problem. He was never bog enough fro man u i said t when he was a rumor for the job and thing are going exactly as i predicted. Man u are lucky they never signed Baines or you would be in worse trouble!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:30 am

They're in 12th position now ,and the pressure on the manager not
to lose the next game will be preposterous to say the least.

The United fans are already saying he's ridiculously out of his depth
so if there isn't a drastic upturn in results then he could find a large
swell of fans more than reluctant to afford him the time he needs
to implement his own style of play ,and subsequently bring in the
quality he so desperately needs.

United are away to Shakhtar next in the Champions League ,and then
they have Sunderland away , who will in all probability have a new man
in charge who will want to have his team motivated for his first game.
Hence that quirk of football we like to call 'New manager syndrome'.

Pressure on for Moyes.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:11 pm

i am looking forward to the day Moyes gets his marching orders. never liked the man and always found him over rated hugely by the general football population in this country.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:16 pm

I see that on Twitter unhappy Man Utd fans have already set up a Moyes out page
but fans of rivals Liverpool,Arsenal and Chelsea delighted at the Red Devils poor start have set up a keep Moyes in one :lol:
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Seamus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Well at least Moyes has finally managed to get Everton above United in the table.
Seamus

Postby Hams » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Man Utd have now suffered back to back defeats at home in the league to both Everton and Newcastle.

Are the Red Devils now in serious danger of not even finishing the season in the top 4 if they continue to play so badly?

Is is still too early to blame David Moyes for the current problems and that he still needs more time to turn things around?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm

This is knee jerk reaction if Man Utd fans really want Moyes out. He may need two seasons to get it right, this is going to be a real test of the club’s bottle. I’d have been mortified if Spurs had sacked AVB on the basis of one mauling. Keep the faith chaps!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:This is knee jerk reaction if Man Utd fans really want Moyes out. He may need two seasons to get it right, this is going to be a real test of the club’s bottle. I’d have been mortified if Spurs had sacked AVB on the basis of one mauling. Keep the faith chaps!

with respect though, Man United is a completely different level to Spurs. they simply can not afford the time possibly required for Moyes to get them back to the level they were under Ferguson. it would be a huge risk in an era where the global fan is as fickle as ever.

Man United are a global brand and a global brand demands success. people with no genuine affiliation to a football club wont hesitate to look elsewhere for their glory fix - Man City, Chelsea, Barcelona, Bayern, Real Madrid etc etc. you can not stay on top of the commercial world without success as your appeal lessens with every defeat you suffer.

is Moyes up to the job? i never thought he was to begin with and am relishing every defeat with great joy as it is one in the eye for every 'pundit' that was falling over themselves to climb aboard the Moyes love-in bandwagon despite his obvious limitations as a manager. that they are so reluctant to go back on their earlier sycophantic assessments and highlight his failings so far speaks volumes for the hypocrisy and cluelessness that infest our media.

you're right that it's a test of the club's bottle though. are they going to roll the dice again or pray Moyes is able to pick things up? it's a very dangerous game with literally billions of pounds potentially at stake, not to mention th potential collapse of a global sporting giant.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Man U are right where i predicted when they signed Moyes!
They may be even scrapping for Eufa cup activity ,and accomplishing that would be devastatiing for that team.
As steely said ,they are too big a club to start again and i really do not think Moyes was a fan choice so his time is even more limited. The dressing room issues have not even kicked in yet ,once the media get a hold of that crap the sh!t will really hit the fan. But you will get all them Moyes nut huggers demanding he needs time ,like Fergie had when he first went there. Completely forgetting that we are in the age of instant gratification and that is impossible to expect.
I liked david moyes when he was at Everton ,but he was never good enough for a Job Like MAn u.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:This is knee jerk reaction if Man Utd fans really want Moyes out. He may need two seasons to get it right, this is going to be a real test of the club’s bottle. I’d have been mortified if Spurs had sacked AVB on the basis of one mauling. Keep the faith chaps!

with respect though, Man United is a completely different level to Spurs. they simply can not afford the time possibly required for Moyes to get them back to the level they were under Ferguson. it would be a huge risk in an era where the global fan is as fickle as ever.

Man United are a global brand and a global brand demands success. people with no genuine affiliation to a football club wont hesitate to look elsewhere for their glory fix - Man City, Chelsea, Barcelona, Bayern, Real Madrid etc etc. you can not stay on top of the commercial world without success as your appeal lessens with every defeat you suffer.

is Moyes up to the job? i never thought he was to begin with and am relishing every defeat with great joy as it is one in the eye for every 'pundit' that was falling over themselves to climb aboard the Moyes love-in bandwagon despite his obvious limitations as a manager. that they are so reluctant to go back on their earlier sycophantic assessments and highlight his failings so far speaks volumes for the hypocrisy and cluelessness that infest our media.

you're right that it's a test of the club's bottle though. are they going to roll the dice again or pray Moyes is able to pick things up? it's a very dangerous game with literally billions of pounds potentially at stake, not to mention th potential collapse of a global sporting giant.

I understand the potential financial implications of Man United not winning trophies this season, but the club cannot allow itself to be pushed into decisions on managerial appointments because they have had a run of poor results. Yes, Man Utd are the biggest brand in English football but they are still subject to the competitiveness of the league like any other team.

I think you overestimate the fickleness of fans - Liverpool were once so dominant but they haven't won the league for decades, however they are still a massive club with an international fan base. Arsenal have won bugger all for 8 years, but they still have a massive following and Wenger remains in charge with the blessing of most of the fans (at least for now). My own club haven't won much in my lifetime, doesn't mean there isn't a strong and loyal following turning up every week. The point I'm making is you can skip a season or two without winning trophies, it doesn't mean the club will collapse.

If they don't get top four this season Moyes will be under massive pressure, but I think he has the players and the managerial skill to achieve that much. I guess we'll know in 6 months time!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:39 am

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:

I understand the potential financial implications of Man United not winning trophies this season, but the club cannot allow itself to be pushed into decisions on managerial appointments because they have had a run of poor results. Yes, Man Utd are the biggest brand in English football but they are still subject to the competitiveness of the league like any other team.

I think you overestimate the fickleness of fans - Liverpool were once so dominant but they haven't won the league for decades, however they are still a massive club with an international fan base. Arsenal have won bugger all for 8 years, but they still have a massive following and Wenger remains in charge with the blessing of most of the fans (at least for now). My own club haven't won much in my lifetime, doesn't mean there isn't a strong and loyal following turning up every week. The point I'm making is you can skip a season or two without winning trophies, it doesn't mean the club will collapse.

If they don't get top four this season Moyes will be under massive pressure, but I think he has the players and the managerial skill to achieve that much. I guess we'll know in 6 months time!

i'm talking globally, not domestically. Arsenal actually have a relatively poor following around the world. Liverpool are huge in South East Asia and they can thank the Beatles for a lot of that whiole obviously Man United dominate the Far East. Africa and the US are the growing markets and they are split hugely.

have a look at the commercial revenue of the big clubs in ENgland and you'll see just how essential the global support is to Man United, particularly in the context of the riches enjoyed by Man CIty and Chelsea because of their owners. if, for any reason, that was to dwindle then Man United would be in a very tough position in terms of reclaiming their 'rightful' spot at the pinnacle of our game.

Man Unitefd sponsor their training ground for more than most clubs get for a shirt sponsor. their appeal is ridiculous. that is simply because they were a trsutworthy brand with an internationally recognisable leader in Ferguson. now they are without their leader the brand becomes less attractive. it's the reality of football nowadays and it isn't something i like but you can not ignore it.

failure to even finish in the top four would be disastrous, more for the fact it would become extremely difficult to achieve the season after that and the cycle continues.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:50 am

Steely Hill wrote:i'm talking globally, not domestically. Arsenal actually have a relatively poor following around the world. Liverpool are huge in South East Asia and they can thank the Beatles for a lot of that whiole obviously Man United dominate the Far East. Africa and the US are the growing markets and they are split hugely.

What has given you this impression? I would expect we've still got the second biggest worldwide fan-base in the league.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Tipster » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 pm

A report about the Manchester United twitter page being hacked, with the hacker posting #Moyesout.

Manchester not happy.

http://footballtweet.lockerdome.com/media/110671089
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby mrtz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:i'm talking globally, not domestically. Arsenal actually have a relatively poor following around the world. Liverpool are huge in South East Asia and they can thank the Beatles for a lot of that whiole obviously Man United dominate the Far East. Africa and the US are the growing markets and they are split hugely.

What has given you this impression? I would expect we've still got the second biggest worldwide fan-base in the league.

I'd say in the States, it would be Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Spurs/City in that order.

The interest of the sport here picks up during World Cup years, so it kind of coincides with the success of Chelsea. Also, a lot of the interest comes from the college crowd who do study abroad and end up in the Chelsea parts of London. It's not surprising to see a wave of blue kits walking around when a semester starts.

Liverpool/United/Arsenal/Newcastle have been long sustained fans. Liverpool and Arsenal have comparable fan bases. Most newcomers gravitate towards Spurs, and those who follow players usually end up liking City just from the name appeal of their squad.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:

i don't think you've even got the second biggest fanbase within England, let alone the world.

i'll elaborate more when i get the chance.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League