Which club have the best strike partnership at the moment?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Which club have the best strike partnership at the moment?

Postby Hams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Brendan Rodgers said recently that he thought Liverpool had the
best striker partnership at the moment with the good current form of Sturridge and Suarez.

The 2 Reds forwards have been given the nickname SAS like the former Blackburn duo Shearer and Sutton.

Which PL club do you think have the best strike partnership at the moment?

I know that some teams only play with just one striker now or as in the case of West Ham yesterday none at all!

If clubs then were forced to play with 2 front men who has the best pairing or should do at least on paper?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby mrtz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Yeah, partnerships have really been replaced with trios, and in a way, we are working that way with Moses and in theory, Coutinho.

I think, on paper, Van Persie-Rooney, Aguero-Negredo, and Lamela-Soldado all look solid, although they don't necessarily work as partners at their current formations.

I think those three, along with Suarez and Sturridge all have a great balance of good finishing and creativity. They're able to compliment each others' styles pretty well.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Sturridge regressed a bit in the last game when the game was already won ,he went for low % chances instead of looking for the open man in the box (Suarez) a few times! If he plays like he did the game before the partnership with Suarez is the best in football.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:26 pm

mrtz wrote:Yeah, partnerships have really been replaced with trios, and in a way, we are working that way with Moses and in theory, Coutinho.

I think, on paper, Van Persie-Rooney, Aguero-Negredo, and Lamela-Soldado all look solid, although they don't necessarily work as partners at their current formations.

I think those three, along with Suarez and Sturridge all have a great balance of good finishing and creativity. They're able to compliment each others' styles pretty well.

Soldado-Lamela over Giroud-Ozil? I wouldn't say either of them are completely natural partners but in terms of player ability and their current form, the latter comes out on top every time for me.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I wouldn't really class Soldado/Lamela and Ozil/Giroud as being strike partnerships in the old fashioned sense.

What I would like to see more of is the sort of current pair of Sturridge and Suarez who are both able to link up very well.

On paper Rooney and Van Persie should be a brilliant double act but for some reason it just doesn't seem to be working.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Hams wrote:I wouldn't really class Soldado/Lamela and Ozil/Giroud as being strike partnerships in the old fashioned sense.

What I would like to see more of is the sort of current pair of Sturridge and Suarez who are both able to link up very well.

On paper Rooney and Van Persie should be a brilliant double act but for some reason it just doesn't seem to be working.

Agreed, I was just replying to the post at hand.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby mrtz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:
mrtz wrote:Yeah, partnerships have really been replaced with trios, and in a way, we are working that way with Moses and in theory, Coutinho.

Soldado-Lamela over Giroud-Ozil? I wouldn't say either of them are completely natural partners but in terms of player ability and their current form, the latter comes out on top every time for me.

See bolded.

Lamela seems to work further up front and plays forward and can do what Suarez does for Liverpool. Ozil is further back and can play as a #10... The Arsenal pair I was thinking of was Podolski and Giroud. I wouldn't be sticking Ozil up on the top of a 4-4-2, and even if he was there, I don't think he'd be too effective.

But if I had to pick a pair between those two, I'd pick Ozil and Giroud just because of Ozil.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 pm

mrtz wrote:
Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:

See bolded.

Lamela seems to work further up front and plays forward and can do what Suarez does for Liverpool. Ozil is further back and can play as a #10... The Arsenal pair I was thinking of was Podolski and Giroud. I wouldn't be sticking Ozil up on the top of a 4-4-2, and even if he was there, I don't think he'd be too effective.

But if I had to pick a pair between those two, I'd pick Ozil and Giroud just because of Ozil.

I wouldn't really consider Podolski and Giroud our most natural pairing, but I can agree with that.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Davey1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 am

Desperate attempt for a positive fact from Brendan Rodgers, tbh.

It's like playing 3 world class centre backs instead of 2 and saying 'we have the best centre backs in the premier league'.

I'm more impressed with how Arsene and Brendan have ditched the fluid, passing game for controlled, intelligent, patient bursts of attack.

I've enjoyed the passing and closing down possession tactic but this 3-4-1-2 works like a charm.

Also, the reason this pairing is so effective is because the 4-2-3-1 is a dying formation and only Rafa Benitez could perfect it in EPL.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Rooney and Van Persie are both slowly starting to do well for Man Utd now.

With the likes of Aguero,Negredo and Dzeko to call upon Man City are looking strong in the forward department.

Liverpool's SAS couldn't make any head away against Arsenal on Sat but Suarez and Sturridge have still done well.

Chelsea's attackers in Torres,Ba and Eto'o haven't really been firing on all cylinders and its lucky their midfield is so good.

Its interesting then that Arsenal are top of the table at the moment when they only have Giroud as a main striker!

I do prefer prefer to watch teams who play with 2 strikers up front and hope Rodgers continues with this at Liverpool.

At West Ham were playing without anybody up front which is the most bizarre thing I've seen during 30 years watching them!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League