England v Poland - 11th October

Join us here to discuss all of England's internationals plus Copa Libertadores,African Nations cup etc

Moderator: Moderators

England v Poland - 11th October

Postby Hams » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:05 pm

England will qualify for the WC finals in Brazil next year if the beat Poland at Wembley on Tuesday night.

The Poles have nothing to play for but will be backed by over 20,000 fans and it will be like a home game for them.

The 3 Lions were once denied a place in the 1974 world cup by the Polish when Brian Clough called their keeper a clown.

Should Andros Townsend who was man of the match against Montenegro start and who should replace Kyle Walker at right back?

Any comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 am

The English FA are crazy to sell 18,000 tickets to Polish fans for this game on Tuesday night!

Don't they want England to qualify for the world cup? There is going to be chaos at Wembley and the Police are going to have a busy night.

The rules say that the maximum allocation allowed for away fans is 9,000 and what is happening is madness.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby BMJ » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 am

Even with 9000 supporters it would be like a home game for us. Haha
BMJ
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:55 pm

It looks like Carrick will replace Lampard in the middle and Smalling will play at right back.

Come on England!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Seamus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Phew! - Got there in the end!.

Off to the World Cup we go, now we can relax and look forward to the manic marketing campaign, insanely over optimistic media and the inevitable penalty-shoot out defeat..........
Seamus

Postby Simply » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm actually a bit sad that England won this match... because now everyone will be happy and nothing is gonna change now..

I thought this would have been the right moment for pressing the reset button and start investing in the youth.. like Germany did after the euro 2000, where they finished 4th in their group...

I respect guys like Lampard and Gerrard for their carreer.... but England has to stop counting on those old guys.. they need to produce young talents NOW!

I'm afraid this won't happen after they barely qualified now..
England once was a team everyone feared to face.. I miss those times when England vs. Germany was a thrilling match-up everyone was excited about..
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:16 pm

FT

England 2-0 Poland
1-0 Rooney 41'
2-0 Gerrard 88'

England finish top of their group and are through to the world cup finals in Brazil and won't need to have any play off!

I don't think it really matters at this moment in time if our football was good or not during this qualification.

The most important thing was just to make sure that we will be in the 2014 tournament and anything else is only a bonus.

We have slowly started to bring in new younger players but its not easy when there are so few English in the PL.

There are some clubs in England now like Newcastle who don't have any home grown players so what can Hodgson do?

Lets enjoy this win for now and say well done to the 3 Lions for putting in a good performance under difficult circumstances

Will comment more on the game tomorrow!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:54 pm

A fine win for England, and the performance was not too shabby apart from a few defensive lapses that allowed Poland to rip into us. They could quite easily have scored 2 against us tonight, and a better team would have done. I hope Roy and his team recognise how exposed we looked at the back on a few occasions. If they don't we may be 'back home before the postcards' from Brazil.
Nonetheless, this was a potential banana skin of a game and England did what they had to do.
Damn shame for all the Polish fans who turned up in such numbers. :lol:
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:20 am

Simply wrote:I'm actually a bit sad that England won this match... because now everyone will be happy and nothing is gonna change now..

I thought this would have been the right moment for pressing the reset button and start investing in the youth.. like Germany did after the euro 2000, where they finished 4th in their group...

WRONG!

FYI! England already have the players to be competitive with any team on the planet!
It all a matter of the manager picking the right players available to him.

You have young players who have good skill ,incredible speed and desire if the manager gets his head out of his ass and picks the most effective players over the course of 90 minutes. England issue is that they are so worried about who carries the captain's armband ,what the so called leader of the team looks like ,that they fail miserably every time. If you want to press a reset button ,press the one that says "21st century"!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:53 am

I thought England deserved to win last night and Wayne Rooney played very well.
We did well in the first half and created lots of chances but Poland's keeper Szczesny had a brilliant game
There was a couple of moments when the Polish could have scored but luckily Lewandowski didn't find the target.
We really were under pressure in the 2nd half and I couldn't relax until Steven Gerrard scored a great 2nd to settle it!

As well as Rooney I thought the whole team played well from Hart in goal,Cahil in defence and Carrick in the middle.
It was a beautiful cross by Baines for our first goal and our new sensation Townsend also came close on a couple of occasions.

As for Poland why didn't they play like that in the other qualifiers? Its a joke how teams raise their game just because there playing England!

Any more comments on lasts nights win?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Bren10 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Easy win in the end against average opposition. Looked quite good offensively but at the back we looked a little shakey and better teams will punish us if we are as slack again.
Now weve just got to hope we get Switzerland from Pot 1 in the draw. :D
Also given the heat we will encounter over there, there is no way Lampard and Gerrard can play together if we expect to progress.
Lets hope Morrison, Barkley and Wilshere have great seasons.
Bren10

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

specnur wrote:
Simply wrote:I'm actually a bit sad that England won this match... because now everyone will be happy and nothing is gonna change now..

WRONG!

FYI! England already have the players to be competitive with any team on the planet!
It all a matter of the manager picking the right players available to him.

You have young players who have good skill ,incredible speed and desire if the manager gets his head out of his ass and picks the most effective players over the course of 90 minutes. England issue is that they are so worried about who carries the captain's armband ,what the so called leader of the team looks like ,that they fail miserably every time. If you want to press a reset button ,press the one that says "21st century"!

Well I like the sound of that argument Specnur, and I hope you prove to be right as England surprise everyone by winning the world cup in Brazil (no sarcasm or irony there btw). I think you have a point in that our first team looks competitive in most positions, however our central defence looked really vulnerable at times against the Poles. As I've already said a better team would have had a couple of goals against us yesterday.
If Roy can drill our defence to make them organised and resistant against Spain, Brazil, Germany et al, who knows how far England can go?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Simply » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 pm

specnur wrote:You have young players who have good skill ,incredible speed and desire...

?!?!?!?! who????
I would only consider Wallcott, Wilshere and Sturridge as pretty solid, but thats it and it's far from enough...
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Simply wrote:
specnur wrote:You have young players who have good skill ,incredible speed and desire...

?!?!?!?! who????
I would only consider Wallcott, Wilshere and Sturridge as pretty solid, but thats it and it's far from enough...

OK, Lennon, Townsend, Walcott, A.young, Sterling, Zaha on the wings!
Attacking mid Wilshere ,Rooney, Gerrard, Carrick,Chamberlaine and Barkley.
Defensive mid Milner, Jones ,Gibbs, Parker.
left back A.Cole ,Gibbs ,Rose ,Baines
Right back G.Johnson, Walker , Coleman , Jenkinson
CB. Cahill, Terry, Lescott,Smalling, Jones,
Up front Sturridge ,Defoe,Welbeck ,Bent ,Lambert,

The pace we have and the pace they are used to playing in our league would make this squad a horror for any opponent you can come up with.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby fakeplastictrees » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 pm

specnur wrote:
Simply wrote:

?!?!?!?! who????

The pace we have and the pace they are used to playing in our league would make this squad a horror for any opponent you can come up with.

Almost all those players are absolute crap.

I did you a favour and bolded the players who aren't good enough.

Not to mention the side doesn't have a single world class player to my mind. When has such a shower of shite ever won a World Cup? Never that's when, the World Cup is always won by a truly fantastic side brimming with world class players.
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:24 pm

fakeplastictrees wrote:
specnur wrote:
Simply wrote:

?!?!?!?! who????

Not to mention the side doesn't have a single world class player to my mind. When has such a shower of shite ever won a World Cup? Never that's when, the World Cup is always won by a truly fantastic side brimming with world class players.

When you say 'absolute crap' I guess you mean that these players are not 'world beaters' which is true, but a tad disrespectful. All these players are talented pros, and have not got to the place in their careers where they are employed by top Premiership teams without having talent. No world class players? Not even Rooney? Also, there are some who are in the 'developmental' stage like Rose, Sturridge, Wilshire and Townsend (yes I've put Rose in there cos I'm a Spurs fan, but I've been watching him lately and he has come on a lot ). These guys could be anything, we don't know just yet. Do I think England have a realistic chance of winning the next World Cup? No, but if you want me to throw up my hands and say we have no chance, f*ck off, c'mon England!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Simply » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:29 pm

fakeplastictrees wrote:
specnur wrote:
Simply wrote:

?!?!?!?! who????

..this is exactly what I mean.. In my opinion only four of the players Specnur mentioned have enough quality to play for one of the biggest football nations in history...
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Simply » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:When you say 'absolute crap' I guess you mean that these players are not 'world beaters' which is true, but a tad disrespectful. All these players are talented pros, and have not got to the place in their careers where they are employed by top Premiership teams without having talent. No world class players? Not even Rooney? Also, there are some who are in the 'developmental' stage like Rose, Sturridge, Wilshire and Townsend (yes I've put Rose in there cos I'm a Spurs fan, but I've been watching him lately and he has come on a lot ). These guys could be anything, we don't know just yet. Do I think England have a realistic chance of winning the next World Cup? No, but if you want me to throw up my hands and say we have no chance, f*ck off, c'mon England!

I don't be that harsh to say, the mentionend playerse are absolute crap... but everyone who ist not absolute crap is a candidate for the national team?!?!??... what kind of aspiration do you guys have?!?!? ..
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby fakeplastictrees » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:
fakeplastictrees wrote:
specnur wrote:
Simply wrote:

?!?!?!?! who????

When you say 'absolute crap' I guess you mean that these players are not 'world beaters' which is true, but a tad disrespectful. All these players are talented pros, and have not got to the place in their careers where they are employed by top Premiership teams without having talent.

When you consider the depth and quality of talent that teams like Spain, Argentina, Germany, Brazil (realistically these are the four to watch). Not to mention Italy, France, Uruguay and Holland are well ahead of us too.

Our Goalkeeper currently drops a clanger every second game, all our right backs are terrible and can't defend or attack, our centre backs are extremely mediocre and nowhere near good enough against top strikers (Lewandowski had 3 clear chances last night against a Polish midfield without a drop of creativity), our midfield is most likely going to be two players who've spend the best part of ten years being . together in midfield for England. Our wide players are all useless, they have pace but no intelligence, guile or creativity just hit and run speed merchents and our centre forward is a striker who isn't very good at finishing or linking up the play.

We are a poor side, who will most likely get out of our group in second place and lose the first time we play a half decent side.

No world class players? Not even Rooney? Also, there are some who are in the 'developmental' stage like Rose, Sturridge, Wilshire and Townsend (yes I've put Rose in there cos I'm a Spurs fan, but I've been watching him lately and he has come on a lot ). These guys could be anything, we don't know just yet. Do I think England have a realistic chance of winning the next World Cup? No, but if you want me to throw up my hands and say we have no chance, f*ck off, c'mon England!

When was the last time Rooney had a world class season? He scored 16 goals last season in a title winning side. He's score 1 goal at a Major International tournament since 2004. Rooney was utter shite in Euro 2012 and World Cup 2010, absolutely woeful.

People keep saying Rooney is world class but he never actually plays like a world class player. I can't remember the last time Rooney had a world class game against a top quality side. You'd probably have to go back as far as Milan in 2010 for the last time Rooney put in a top performance in the business end of the Champions League.

Rooney works hard and runs around a lot which sadly British people so often mistake for actually penetrative quality on the ball. Against both Poland and Montenegro Rooney was consistently wasteful in possession. Time and time again he picked up the ball in dangerous positions and did nothing with it. He's way short of the quality of real world class number 10's like Ozil or Iniesta and time and time again in the big games for England and United he's shown up.
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Well lets get it straight, I've already posted that I have concerns about the England central defence. A decent team would have stuck a couple past us. I'm not disagreeing that Lampard and Gerrard are at the end of their careers, but do you throw away that experience lightly? They represent a 'sub' option as a minimum.
As for Rooney, I actually agree that he has not fulfilled his promise, however he has shown some recent excellent club and country form. Should we not get behind him for this? What does it mean to be an England fan these days? Predict that England won't win the Euros or the World Cup and then crow about it when you are proven right?
I say again, f*ck off, c'mon England!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Next

Return to International football