AC Milan v Barcelona - 22nd October

Real Madrid won the CL last season, Will the likes of Ronaldo,Bale and James be able to do it again or will Bayern or Barcelona be able to stop them?

Moderator: Moderators

AC Milan v Barcelona - 22nd October

Postby Hams » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm

AC Milan drew their last CL fixture 1-1 away at Ajax thanks to a late penalty from Mario Balotelli.

Barcelona won their last game 1-0 away at Celtic through Fabregas with the home side having Scott Brown sent off.

Any comments or predictions for this San Siro clash?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 am

This is the 14th encounter between AC Milan and Barcelona in the Champions League,
which equals the record number of encounters between two teams (14 between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid).
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Should be interesting to see how AC mIlan fair with Balotelli in the line up this time.
The Spanish clubs always top in the psychological aspect of games will look to get under his skin and get him carded. Personally i don't think Barca have a defender who can hang with him and i expect him to do damage in one way or the other.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Teams

AC MILAN:
Amelia, Mexes, Zapata, Abate, Constant, Muntari, Birsa, Montolivo, de Jong, Robinho, Kaka...

Subs: Coppola, Silvestre, Poli, Nocerino, Emanuelson, Matri, Balotelli.

BARCELONA:
Valdes, Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Adriano, Sergio, Xavi, Iniesta, Alexis, Neymar, Messi...

Subs: Pinto, Montoya, Bartra, Song, Fabregas, Pedro, Tello.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Balotelli only starts on the bench as he missed last weekends game against Udinese with an injury.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 pm

HT

Milan 1-1 Barcelona
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby eaman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Milan started ok but after ten minutes it was just 11 behind the ball but barca managed to score and dominate but should have scored again
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 am

FT

AC Milan 1-1 Barcelona
1-0 Robinho 9'
1-1 Messi 23’

Any comments on this draw?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:25 am

eaman wrote:Milan started ok but after ten minutes it was just 11 behind the ball but barca managed to score and dominate but should have scored again

I agree with you.

Maybe it would have been a better game if Milan hadn't scored so early?

I thought Mexes did well to prevent Barcelona from scoring again with some good tackles and could have even scored in 1st half.

Nobody really stood out for the Spaniards although Iniesta and Xavi dominated midfield and Messi got his obligatory goal.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Got to say it is a joy to watch the pure passing superiority of Barca ! It's a level that any team should aspire to. When you see the players like Xavi and Iniesta move that ball around we should think ourselves fortunate to be living in this era.
You'll never see two players of that ability in the same team again imo.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby eaman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Busquets should be involved in the conservation as well. His passing and movement is brilliant too
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:42 pm

eaman wrote:Busquets should be involved in the conservation as well. His passing and movement is brilliant too

He's flipping crap in comparison, get the hell out of here!
You put him in any side in England and he would get exposed as an average player. The ONLY reason he looks decent is because those that carry a lot of the weight he doesn't have to. If they had to depend on that player they would be mid table.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby eaman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Says someone who doesn't watch barca very much. Any barca fan will tell you the difference he makes to the team. When he's not there they are more vulnerable defensively and aren't as free flowing in their passing. You think coz he doesn't have much pace he wouldn't do well in another team but look at mikel . He does ok with his lack of pace and busquets is better positional and passing wise
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 pm

eaman wrote:Says someone who doesn't watch barca very much. Any barca fan will tell you the difference he makes to the team. When he's not there they are more vulnerable defensively and aren't as free flowing in their passing. You think coz he doesn't have much pace he wouldn't do well in another team but look at mikel . He does ok with his lack of pace and busquets is better positional and passing wise

How do you know how Mikel would fair with as much time as Busquets is afforded in La liga?
When Busquets does that in the premiership furnace then i'll give him props ,but until then the images of him peaking through his hands between rolls on the floor after getting caught on the ball will be firmly etched in my brain matter. I think the player is overrated beyond belief and too much is made of his ability based on what he does in that inferior league. I would take Dembele over him in heartbeat that's for sure!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby eaman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:11 pm

He plays against plenty of good midfielders in la liga and the champions league and does brilliantly in his role. He is a completely different type of player to dembele anyway. He plays in the mikel or yaya toure role and is better under pressure than both. Also there isn't much difference in midfield in la liga and the premiership. The way barca play makes it look like they have more time. I have actually seen a few la liga games this year that were quicker than some premier league games
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 pm

eaman wrote:He plays against plenty of good midfielders in la liga and the champions league and does brilliantly in his role. He is a completely different type of player to dembele anyway. He plays in the mikel or yaya toure role and is better under pressure than both. Also there isn't much difference in midfield in la liga and the premiership. The way barca play makes it look like they have more time. I have actually seen a few la liga games this year that were quicker than some premier league games

You are on crack!
Better than ya ya Toure under pressure ,when i have you ever seen Busquest's shield the ball from the opposition like Ya ya Toure does? Day in and day out Ya ya toure has kept a level of consistency in his play in England that Busquets could never do and i will put my house and my life on that claim. Busquets is just too soft to play like that and needs to much time to think,time afforded to him by the likes of Xavi and Iniesta . Put Busquets on a team without them two and you'll see his independent ability is lacking. ON Barca you have the balance of the stars Messi,Iniesta and Xavi and the help Busquets ,Song, Alves etc.

And your comparison between the la liga and the premiership can't be taken seriously either ,as almost every premier league game is played at a higher intensity.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Simply » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 pm

..haha... it's quite funny, because Yaya Toure actually became worldclass in Barcelona .. and after Busquets ousted him there so Manchester City signed him...

..but I'm on your side here specnur.. in my opinion Toure is the better player today...
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby fakeplastictrees » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Busquets is a much better holding midfielder than Yaya Toure.
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby eaman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Listen toure is better at bursting forward and beating a couple of men and also shooting and scoring but he is not better at doing what busquets does best which is sitting in midfield and cutting out attacks and definately toure isn't better in tight areas. Busquets is one of the best first time passers out there which is why he rarely gets caught in possession. This is why guardiola preferred him to toure.
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:42 am

eaman wrote:Listen toure is better at bursting forward and beating a couple of men and also shooting and scoring but he is not better at doing what busquets does best which is sitting in midfield and cutting out attacks and definately toure isn't better in tight areas. Busquets is one of the best first time passers out there which is why he rarely gets caught in possession. This is why guardiola preferred him to toure.

Yet again you are comparing the Busquets that operates in La liga to the Toure that operates in the premiership.
You are obviously stubbornly clutching onto the idea that La liga is as competitive and incense has the premiership ,which is why you keep ridiculously trying to make these comparisons. Of course we can't put Busquets in the premiership for a season ,and i am quite certain there is no amount of money that would drag that boy into our league ,but what we can do is study his performances against English opposition and in the last 5 or so years i haven;t seen anything that indicates him as being anything more than a utility player profiting from the massive stars that surrounds him. Almost a guilt by association situation.

If played in our league he would be Exposed as a fraud in the debate of world class players end of story!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to UEFA Champions League