Is Andros Townsend the best English right sided winger?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Is Andros Townsend the best English right sided winger?

Postby Hams » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Its been an incredible couple of weeks for Andros Townsend.

He made his debut and scored for England in a man of the match
display against Montenegro and then helped the 3 Lions against Poland qualify for the world cup.
On Sunday he also scored a somewhat lucky goal at Aston Villa which was his first PL effort for Tottenham.

Is he now the best English right sided midfielder above the likes of Walcott,Lennon and Milner?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Conner99 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 pm

based on two or three of games .....100% no .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Re: Is Andros Townsend the best English right sided winger?

Postby Pickleman1967 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Hams wrote:Its been an incredible couple of weeks for Andros Townsend.

display against Montenegro and then helped the 3 Lions against Poland qualify for the world cup.
On Sunday he also scored a somewhat lucky goal at Aston Villa which was his first PL effort for Tottenham.

Is he now the best English right sided midfielder above the likes of Walcott,Lennon and Milner?

I'm going with true, the boy is class and perhaps the greatest attacking midfielder in the world right now. Ha, had you going there, no not really.
I'm happy Townsend is wearing a Spurs shirt, but it is way too early to put him as better than the above mentioned established Premiership players. Lets be honest, he has had three very good games on the bounce, and you have to be encouraged that when Roy surprised some by picking him he delivered on the 'big stage'. How many times have you seen young talented players in the Premiership get an England cap and then flop? It says he has a mature temperament, and has potential to be a very fine player indeed. I would say he is competitive with the likes of Walcott, Lennon and Milner (he may have the edge on them when it comes to attack) but no more than that right now.
He scored against Montenegro and Aston Villa, all due respect to them they ain't Brazil and Barcelona. Lets see how he does against the big boys in the Prem.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Re: Is Andros Townsend the best English right sided winger?

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Hams wrote:Its been an incredible couple of weeks for Andros Townsend.

I'm going with true, the boy is class and perhaps the greatest attacking midfielder in the world right now. Ha, had you going there, no not really.
I'm happy Townsend is wearing a Spurs shirt, but it is way too early to put him as better than the above mentioned established Premiership players. Lets be honest, he has had three very good games on the bounce, and you have to be encouraged that when Roy surprised some by picking him he delivered on the 'big stage'. How many times have you seen young talented players in the Premiership get an England cap and then flop? It says he has a mature temperament, and has potential to be a very fine player indeed. I would say he is competitive with the likes of Walcott, Lennon and Milner (he may have the edge on them when it comes to attack) but no more than that right now.
He scored against Montenegro and Aston Villa, all due respect to them they ain't Brazil and Barcelona. Lets see how he does against the big boys in the Prem.

He may have the edge on them? Based on these three games?!

I saw him for a couple years at Orient and he never looked like he was going to make it so it has surprised me how well he's been doing but we'll see if he sustains it.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby specnur » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Personally i think he's a prospect that gives teams trouble right now ,which is good for England.
HIs problem is that his decision making is not good ,and when you look at the amount of times he has the ball and gets past his first opponent and the percentage of how often he makes the RIGHT decision i would say he is lacking.
AT the moment he is still in the position of being selfish in order to try and convince his manager that he should be on the pitch. His speed more than anything has helped him more than is rate of success ,because he adds a problem that Lennon offered and that is drawing the attention of at least two players. I rate Walcott above him without question right now,but once Townsend become less worried about losing his spot in the starting line up he will become a far more dangerous player.
Right now he's tying to hard and being far too selfish to be considered even close to the best. Typical British hype machine at work i reckon.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37 am

have to agree with specnur.

reminds me a bit of a younger walcott in that he is trying too much without fruition but remains a constant threat.

he'll continue to have success against the lesser defences but has plenty of work to do to cause trouble to the more capable full backs.

it is good news for England that we have another player of this ilk as we're at our most dangeous when we play with direct, pacey players and so we should hope his development continues.

however, he will certainly have the inevitable slump in form like Sterling and that will be a test of his character so we'll see how he plays when confidence isn't quite so high. it took Walcott a number of years to be as effective as he is now and even he still has plenty of improvements to be made.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby fakeplastictrees » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:50 pm

I long for the day when we bring through a player of guile, vision and technical ability not just another speed merchant like Townsend who's useless against good opposition.
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Well this is my point that the closest player we have to that is most probably Rooney (Although Steely wont have that) followed closely by Wilshere.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 pm

When I watched the qualifier, everything Sturridge did, he got criticised. Even for efforts that were difficult to score. Everything Townsend did, he was unlucky!

Andros Townsend hit the bar and the commentator was loving it. The commentator was Andy Townsend lol.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Yeah, but that's just the commentators. I hardly ever take in a single word any commentator says these days.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 am

Pokerkings wrote:Well this is my point that the closest player we have to that is most probably Rooney (Although Steely wont have that) followed closely by Wilshere.

when you look at players around the world that truly have 'guile, vision and technical ability' it is ridiculous to attribute those abilities to Wayne Rooney in the same way.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Pokerkings » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:10 am

I don't agree with you there. I'm not saying he's equal to what there is in Europe, but he is the closest we have.

I do think he has vision though, he doesn't always show it but he does have it. That long range pass to Van Persie against Villa last season was a good example.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Davey1 wrote:When I watched the qualifier, everything Sturridge did, he got criticised. Even for efforts that were difficult to score. Everything Townsend did, he was unlucky!

Andros Townsend hit the bar and the commentator was loving it. The commentator was Andy Townsend lol.

That's got more to do with how the player carries himself ,it's all about that with a lot of them commentators!
For example they went on about him having to change his "bright yellow or orange" shoes in negative tone , when in the same game about 5 other player had the same shoes on and they said nothing. I think Sturridge bring it on himself to be honest his personality sucks ass quite frankly ,and even though it doesn't affect my judgement on his ability as a player, his image does have a negative impact on me. I just think the boy needs to be a bit more humble .
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Davey1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:35 pm

specnur wrote:
Davey1 wrote:When I watched the qualifier, everything Sturridge did, he got criticised. Even for efforts that were difficult to score. Everything Townsend did, he was unlucky!

That's got more to do with how the player carries himself ,it's all about that with a lot of them commentators!
For example they went on about him having to change his "bright yellow or orange" shoes in negative tone , when in the same game about 5 other player had the same shoes on and they said nothing. I think Sturridge bring it on himself to be honest his personality sucks ass quite frankly ,and even though it doesn't affect my judgement on his ability as a player, his image does have a negative impact on me. I just think the boy needs to be a bit more humble .

What negative attitude?

He got slandered for taking presidents over an important club much rather than an international friendly. He wasn't fit and was playing with an injury for us.

He's also slandered for being greedy but he's helped Suarez by assisting his goals.

That's the first I've heard about his boots.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby specnur » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:52 am

Davey1 wrote:
specnur wrote:

What negative attitude?

He got slandered for taking presidents over an important club much rather than an international friendly. He wasn't fit and was playing with an injury for us.

He's also slandered for being greedy but he's helped Suarez by assisting his goals.

Iw as watching the game last week , it made my blood boil listening to them fools because i know how much influence they have over the millions in the audience. And i don't even like Sturridge as a person.
As for his assists ,he has to assist Suarez if the player is open. If that was Johnjo Shelvey in the positions Suarez was in he would have taken the shot. The Kop would have lynched him if he didn't pass to one of the most deadly strikers on the planet.
His a stupid boy ,but he's not that stupid ,that would be suicidal ,but he still made the wrong decision on a couple of occasions in that match.

Negative attitude meaning selfish.

The player is all about himself first and foremost and has taken the ideology that a striker needs to have a selfish streak to warped proportions. He holds onto the ball far too long when players are open in front of him ,and gets caught in possession. He feels the need to have camera time with the ball rather than hit the open man immediately on the break. He would make himself a hell of a player if he could shed that part of his game ,which i am sure he will eventually.
He just seems to be one of them kids who gets told all the wrong things by his social circles and believes it .
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Davey1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:05 am

specnur wrote:
Davey1 wrote:
specnur wrote:

What negative attitude?

Iw as watching the game last week , it made my blood boil listening to them fools because i know how much influence they have over the millions in the audience. And i don't even like Sturridge as a person.
As for his assists ,he has to assist Suarez if the player is open. If that was Johnjo Shelvey in the positions Suarez was in he would have taken the shot. The Kop would have lynched him if he didn't pass to one of the most deadly strikers on the planet.
His a stupid boy ,but he's not that stupid ,that would be suicidal ,but he still made the wrong decision on a couple of occasions in that match.

Negative attitude meaning selfish.

The player is all about himself first and foremost and has taken the ideology that a striker needs to have a selfish streak to warped proportions. He holds onto the ball far too long when players are open in front of him ,and gets caught in possession. He feels the need to have camera time with the ball rather than hit the open man immediately on the break. He would make himself a hell of a player if he could shed that part of his game ,which i am sure he will eventually.
He just seems to be one of them kids who gets told all the wrong things by his social circles and believes it .

You're jumping on a bandwagon that has been around while he was at Chelsea. He wasn't playing regulary and he was played out wide. He's not greedy, he's just not a target man. Suarez loses possession way more than Sturridge.

You said he was greedy, I disagree and say he assists Suarez and you say he assists Suarez because he has to.
So which is it, greedy or not? :?
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 am

Davey1 wrote:
You're jumping on a bandwagon that has been around while he was at Chelsea. He wasn't playing regulary and he was played out wide. He's not greedy, he's just not a target man. Suarez loses possession way more than Sturridge.

You said he was greedy, I disagree and say he assists Suarez and you say he assists Suarez because he has to.
So which is it, greedy or not? :?

He's selfish by nature ,when you look at a player like Henry or drogba those player were top scorers and they helped out with either assist of defending their own goal. That's just Sturridge's nature maybe he will grow out of it and see why passing as much as scoring will make him more effective as a team player. You can't tell me you have watched that player since Suarez has been back ,made some stupid decisions? And of course he has to assist Suarez ,because 1. Suarez is a bigger hero at Liverpool 2. not passing after Suarez' long anticipated return would make Sturridge's insecurities stick out like a sore thumb.
Not even Sturridge is that stupid. I am quite certain Rodgers had a word in his ear before the match about it anyway. There's a difference between a player passing willingly and one how passes grudgingly which is what Sturridge is. He is no longer the go to player for Liverpool ,Suarez is back and will make Sturridge a more dangerous player against the better teams.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby suarez7 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:28 am

Seriously?

Not a chance he is not even the best at spurs.

Walcott is five times the player he is..
suarez7
Young Pro
Young Pro

Return to Barclays Premier League