Do Arsenal now have the best midfield in the PL/Europe?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Do Arsenal now have the best midfield in the PL/Europe?

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Do Arsenal now have the best midfield in the PL and maybe even in Europe?

When all their current players are all fit and free from injury just where is Arsene Wenger going to play them all?

With the likes of Ramsey,Wilshere,Cazorla,Arteta,Rosicky,Chamberlain and now Ozil to select from I wouldn't like that job!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby dodgy knees » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Quite simply yes. The only other midfield that's comparable is Chelsea's but they still have to contend with Mourinho's weird powerplays negating them from establishing any sense of form.
dodgy knees
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby fakeplastictrees » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Anyone who thinks they had the best midfield in Europe is retarded.
fakeplastictrees
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:28 pm

I don't think we're anywhere near the likes of Bayern and Barcelona, but I think we're definitely close to having one of the best midfields in the league.

We've got a lot of depth in midfield even with our current crop of injuries.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Was this post meant to be sarcastic at all Hams?

I ask this because Arsenal have nowhere near the best midfield in europe..

Lets compare the players you mentioned to the real world class midfield players out there..

Barcelona

Busquets
Xavi
Iniesta
Fabregas
Pedro
Alexis Sanchez
Alex Song
Afellay
Christian Tello

Bayern

Schweinsteiger
Lahm (Guardiola prefers him in the centre midfield with Rafinha at right/wing back)
Kroos
Muller
Mario Goetze
Javi Martinez
Thiago
Robben
Ribery
Shaqiri

Real madrid

Xabi Alonso
Sami Khedira
Isco
Asier Illarramendi
Di Maria
Ronaldo
Modric
Casemiro
Bale

There really is no comparison whatsoever mate,these 3 teams alone destroys Arsenal's midfield..

I would even argue that your favourite Spanish team Atletico Madrid would have a stronger midfield,they aren't as well known as Arsenal's midfield but i'd say they are stonger.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:32 pm

:lol:

It was just something I read on Yahoo sport so thought I'd ask the same question here Gazza.

I do think that Arsenal lack a decent defensive midfielder to help protect their often error probe back four.

I think its all very well having these wonderful attacking midfielders to select from but they haven't replaced Song.

Good post by the way mate.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Gazza-LFC » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Fair enough :)

I agree too Arsenal need that solid defensive anchor man type of player,Flamini is decent but he's not the answer and i do think Arsenal will be found out as the season goes on,as you say they have too many attacking players which leaves a huge gap through the midfield as we saw once Dortmund hit them on the counter attack.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby eaman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Pedro Sanchez and tello are forwards but yes barca have better midfielders. Arsenal do have Alot of good to very good midfielders
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:57 pm

fakeplastictrees wrote:Anyone who thinks they had the best midfield in Europe is retarded.

Individually, apart from Ozil probably not.

But the link up play and playing from deep, counter attacking football has been quite good so far.

I'd be interested to know where there has been better.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Hams wrote:

:lol:

It was just something I read on Yahoo sport so thought I'd ask the same question here Gazza.

I do think that Arsenal lack a decent defensive midfielder to help protect their often error probe back four.

I think its all very well having these wonderful attacking midfielders to select from but they haven't replaced Song.

Good post by the way mate.

Song was mistake-prone, uncomfortable on the ball and caught out by the best in the world. Never been a fan of his.

Arteta was his initial replacement and Flamini since has been a more natural replacement. Do you not think Flamini's done a great job so far this season?
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Again, Flamini isn't anything special, but we hadn't replaced him since he left, and me along with every other Arsenal fan have been screaming for someone sitting there to protect the back four. He now gives the more advanced midfielders freedom to push forward and when he didn't play last night we missed him.

As for Song. One of the worst footballers I have ever had to witness wear an Arsenal shirt.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Pokerkings wrote:Again, Flamini isn't anything special, but we hadn't replaced him since he left, and me along with every other Arsenal fan have been screaming for someone sitting there to protect the back four. He now gives the more advanced midfielders freedom to push forward and when he didn't play last night we missed him.

As for Song. One of the worst footballers I have ever had to witness wear an Arsenal shirt.

Glad you agree, was frustrated by the media's reaction when he left us, even heard some on here call him one of our best players at the time.

Flamini's had a better start to the season than Fellaini.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:
Pokerkings wrote:Again, Flamini isn't anything special, but we hadn't replaced him since he left, and me along with every other Arsenal fan have been screaming for someone sitting there to protect the back four. He now gives the more advanced midfielders freedom to push forward and when he didn't play last night we missed him.

Glad you agree, was frustrated by the media's reaction when he left us, even heard some on here call him one of our best players at the time.

How much did they pay for Fellaini? And we got Flamini for free.

It's frustrating because we've needed that defensive mid for years! yet, the only person who refused to see it was the manager.

When Flamini is injured I'd like to see Tommy V play there in his place. In seriously believe he could do the job and i've said this countless times, maybe even better than Flamini.

As for Song... utter....utter shite.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Thinking back, he never really filled Vieira's boots. I think his price tag got people carried away. Funny hair doo's though
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Vieira!!??

Give over!
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Pokerkings wrote:Vieira!!??

Give over!

Not quite sure what you mean by your response.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Pokerkings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Simply put. Song isn't fit enough to wash Vieira's underpants.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:22 pm

You only need to ask RVP who as the top scorer if he believes this to be the truth ,you have a very poor memory Stan i'll tell you that. Song WAS INDEED one of the best player at the time. HE was a defensive mid who made more crucial assists than any attacking mid imo. I guess Barca picked him up because he was trash eh!. You are looking at Song's overall career at Arsenal and not the player that he matured to be when he left,which is nothing new. A Vieira not in the least!

As for Arsenal midfield being the best in Europe ,not even close! This lot has proven nothing until the play and dismantle top clubs.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:41 pm

specnur wrote:

You only need to ask RVP who as the top scorer if he believes this to be the truth ,you have a very poor memory Stan i'll tell you that. Song WAS INDEED one of the best player at the time. HE was a defensive mid who made more crucial assists than any attacking mid imo. I guess Barca picked him up because he was trash eh!. You are looking at Song's overall career at Arsenal and not the player that he matured to be when he left,which is nothing new. A Vieira not in the least!

As for Arsenal midfield being the best in Europe ,not even close! This lot has proven nothing until the play and dismantle top clubs.

While I was writing this post I completely was aware of the assists he made in his final season, but for me he lost us as many goals as he won. Never was convinced by him, and I'm surprised you was.

I'm looking at Song's overall career at Arsenal including his final season.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby specnur » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:01 pm

specnur wrote:

While I was writing this post I completely was aware of the assists he made in his final season, but for me he lost us as many goals as he won. Never was convinced by him, and I'm surprised you was.

I'm looking at Song's overall career at Arsenal including his final season.

I think the comments you quoted were regarding his final season in an ARsenal shirt and they were not far wrong imo. He was definitely the best player behind RVP at that point in time. I really don't buy that argument of him costing us as many goals as he made us ,that's crock. If it were true i would say so ,as i have criticizes SOng on many occasions previous and after that.
I thought he also had a very good outing against Barca breaking up play ,he had erratic moments for sure ,but it was more positive than negative against the most difficult mid field to stop on the planet.

If you are going to rely on peoples short memory span Stan make sure it's not a thread i'm likely to get involved in mate! :lol:
specnur
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League