FIFA Ballon d'Or - 2013

This is where you can tell us all your general football views either domestic or international.

Moderators: Big Jono, Moderators

FIFA Ballon d'Or - 2013

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:58 am

Here is the shortlist.

The winner to be unveiled on January 13th in Zurich.

Gareth Bale (Real Madrid/Wales),
Edinson Cavani (Paris St-Germain/Uruguay)
Radamel Falcao (Monaco/Colombia)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Belgium),
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris St-Germain/Sweden),
Andres Iniesta (Barcelona/Spain),
Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich/Germany),
Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund/Poland)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina),
Thomas Mueller (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Neymar (Barcelona/Brazil)
Mesut Ozil (Arsenal/Germany)
Andrea Pirlo (Juventus/Italy)
Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich/France)
Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich/Netherlands)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portugal)
Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Luis Suarez (Liverpool/Uruguay)
Thiago Silva (Paris St-Germain/Brazil)
Yaya Toure (Manchester City/Ivory Coast)
Robin van Persie (Manchester United/Netherlands)
Xavi (Barcelona/Spain).

As with the recent UEFA award for best player in Europe surely the winner for world player of the year should be Franck Ribery?

Who would you have in your top 3?

1.Ribery
2.Messi
3.Ronaldo

PS - There doesn't seem to be any goalkeepers or defenders on this short list - Should we be concerned about this?
Last edited by Hams on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby eaman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Did you mean many hams? There's thiago Silva and neuer. Ribery messi and ronaldo are my top 3. Think Ribery deserves it this year
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Re: Ballon d'Or - 2013

Postby Simply » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Hams wrote:PS - There doesn't seem to be any goalkeepers or defenders on this short list - Should we be concerned about this?

:D

Hams wrote:Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich/Germany),
Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich/Germany),
Thiago Silva (Paris St-Germain/Brazil)

My Top 3 would be:
1. Ribery
2. Messi
3. Ronaldo
...but I also see Ibrahimovic very close to the top 3 this time...
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Did you mean many hams? There's thiago Silva and neuer.

Yes I meant to say many eamon,it was a just a spelling mistake. There is as simply pointed out also Philipp Lahm

Still just 1 keeper and 2 defenders isn't very good.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby eaman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Another spelling mistake hams. It's eaman :-D. Or maybe you know my real name. I think they could have taken out ozil toure and hazard and put in a few defenders. Maybe alaba and Dante who had better years than any of those 3
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 pm

I would take out

Cavani
Hazard
Neymar
Ozil
Yaya Toure
Luis Suarez

I agree that Dante should be in there as he was the best defender in the Bundesliga last season plus Matts Hummels of Dortmund was great.

I think Jordi Alba was great for Barcelona,Miranda for Atletico Madrid then there was Barzagli, Bonucci and Chiellini all from Juventus.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:57 am

Franck Ribery has revealed that his wife has already cleared a space in the living room for the 2013 Ballon d’Or!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Ant » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Ribery is a jokester. He probably thinks he deserves it but I'm sure he doesn't expect to win.
Ant
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Bren10 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Wouldve thought Ronaldo would be nailed on this year. Had his best season ever and its coincided with Messis fitness issues which will probably tip the scales in his favour.
Ribery has a case but im not sure hes had the impact that Ronaldo has had regardless of club success.
Bren10

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Ronaldo has had an unrivalled 2013.

winner by a mile.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:37 pm

I think one should look at the impact of each player in what they helped their team win first and foremost ,then what they did in the biggest games. I won't have problem with anyone who wins based on that criteria!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 am

specnur wrote:I think one should look at the impact of each player in what they helped their team win first and foremost ,then what they did in the biggest games. I won't have problem with anyone who wins based on that criteria!

i think one hould look specifically at that one player's contribution to his team. that the other players on the team also helped win a trophy should be neither here nor there in an award for individual achievement.

no player contributed more to his club or country than Cristiano Ronaldo in 2013. it can not be his fault that his team mates were unable to suitably match his lofty performances.

it should also be noted that it is significantly easier to play better in a successful team than it is an unsuccessful one (relatively speaking of course).
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:59 am

I hear that FIFA have just changed the rules to allow the voting to continue as Ronaldo is in such good form at the moment.

I still think Ribery should win with Cristiano in 2nd and Messi only in 3rd this time which might disappoint some of his fans.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
specnur wrote:I think one should look at the impact of each player in what they helped their team win first and foremost ,then what they did in the biggest games. I won't have problem with anyone who wins based on that criteria!

i think one hould look specifically at that one player's contribution to his team. that the other players on the team also helped win a trophy should be neither here nor there in an award for individual achievement.

no player contributed more to his club or country than Cristiano Ronaldo in 2013. it can not be his fault that his team mates were unable to suitably match his lofty performances.

it should also be noted that it is significantly easier to play better in a successful team than it is an unsuccessful one (relatively speaking of course).

Well as far as i'm coincerened steely the award is a farce and has been for years! You consider CHelsea won the champions league, Beating the mighty Bayern who everyone and their grandma seems to think are the heir apparent to the Barca dominance. They won the FA cup probably the 3rd biggest trophy in Football after the champions league and the world cup and you know the man (DROGBA) who was pivotal in scoring the winnner in the FA cup final and the tying goal against Bayern and then the winning penalty never won that Blaon d or or was even in the final running! The award is adisgrace as far as i'm concerened and has no credibility. You can't tell me about the significance of player when he's scoring goals as important as he has done for CHelsea and the Ivory coast ,because Rondlao does not even come close to him in that category mate!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:18 pm

specnur wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:

Well as far as i'm coincerened steely the award is a farce and has been for years! You consider CHelsea won the champions league, Beating the mighty Bayern who everyone and their grandma seems to think are the heir apparent to the Barca dominance. They won the FA cup probably the 3rd biggest trophy in Football after the champions league and the world cup and you know the man (DROGBA) who was pivotal in scoring the winnner in the FA cup final and the tying goal against Bayern and then the winning penalty never won that Blaon d or or was even in the final running! The award is adisgrace as far as i'm concerened and has no credibility. You can't tell me about the significance of player when he's scoring goals as important as he has done for CHelsea and the Ivory coast ,because Rondlao does not even come close to him in that category mate!

i'm not arguing the credibility of the award. frankly i don't care about it at all to be honest.

however, the fact remains that in 2013 nobody has come close to the contribution to club and country that Cristiano Ronaldo has given.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
specnur wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:

i'm not arguing the credibility of the award. frankly i don't care about it at all to be honest.

however, the fact remains that in 2013 nobody has come close to the contribution to club and country that Cristiano Ronaldo has given.

The club hasn't won anything worth talking about!
No doubt his importance to his team ,but when you look at what he is able to do to carry his team to titles as Drogba has done he pales in comparison. Just use Drogba's accomplishments as areference to the apex of what the criteria should be taken. Then take a look at nay of the major titles won in the given year and deduce from that who desreves the award. I don't think Ronaldo would factor in that ,but i am not exactly sure!
I think David Alaba who has been consistently good for CHampions league and bundesliga titlist bayern deserves a shout ,but he's black so you can pretty much write that off! I wonder if he will even be considered young player of the year ,because that award should be his without a shadow of a doubt!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Simply » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:21 pm

I don't see any of them close to Ribery this time..
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby eaman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:53 am

Did you just call FIFA racist specnur
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:56 am

eaman wrote:Did you just call FIFA racist specnur

Your damn right i did! What about it?
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am

specnur wrote:
eaman wrote:Did you just call FIFA racist specnur

Your damn right i did! What about it?

incidentally, since 1995 when the Ballon D'or award was extended to include non-europeans playing in europe there have been five non-white winners.

since 1995 the FIFA World Player of the Year has gone to non-whites 7 times and of the 14 men to have ever won the award, 5 of them are non-white. of the three men that have won the award more than once, two of them are non-white and the other is of North African origin.

the merging of both awards has so far wielded zero non-white winners since Messi has won it every time.

i should add that FIFA are made of of representatives from around the globe and have, in my lifetime, done huge amounts of work in expanding the dominance of Europe and South America in the sport by taking the world cup to continents it had never seen the light of day in before - Asia, Africa and North America have all benefitted massively from FIFA and Mr Blatter's pledge to develop the sport globally rather than pandering to Europeans. you couldn't find a less racist organisation.
Last edited by Steely Hill on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to General Football