Can Arsenal win the Premier League title this season?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Can Arsenal win the Premier League title this season?

Postby Hams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Following Arsenal's 2-0 win against Liverpool on Saturday the Gunners
are now 5 points clear at the top of the table and have won 8 out of their 10 games.

Can Arsenal win the Premier League title this season or will they do well just to finish in top 4 again?

Aaron Ramsey has easily been their best player so far but they are very short of options up front.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:15 pm

As I read in an article earlier today, the question is no longer 'can we win the title', rather 'will we win the title'. If we buy another striker in January we'll be be the strongest side in the league for me.

or will they do well just to finish in top 4 again?

For years now pundits have said this will be the year we drop out of the top four, and many did the same this year, it's starting to look like we may completely surpass their expectations.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby OWEN_ENG » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:05 pm

they are still my pick for the league this year
OWEN_ENG
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:17 pm

I think Arsenal have an excellent chance of winning the Premiership this season. Man City, Man Utd., and Chelsea have failed to show the dominance we would expect from title contenders (Spurs are a work in progress btw), and Liverpool are looking just a little short of the quality required. I think they still need to strengthen the squad in the January window, if they don't and they are still contesting the CL they will fail. If Wenger and the Arsenal board don't see that then they deserve to be scrapping for a top four spot rather than scrapping for the title. Really going to be interesting to see what happens after Christmas...
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Seamus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:29 pm

It is the best chance they have had in almost a decade. They have been impressive this season and show a real belief and confidence that has been missing for a long time. I Think Man City will kick in after New Year and Chelsea will continue to challenge. They have built up a head of steam and it will be needed when we get to January.

I Would actually like to see them win it rather than City or the Chavs.
Seamus

Postby mrtz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:39 pm

If you asked me this in the pre-season, I'd say no chance.

The lads have stepped up though, and are looking good early, and you can't argue with that record. The key is to get some of their injured players back to have that depth so they can last the brutal winter schedule. If they can get them back and not lose guys like Giroud or Ramsey, then they could have an excellent shot of sustaining. It will be interesting to see if they can keep the results coming, and if this isn't a case of them peaking early.

So far so good, and I can admit that I assessed them incorrectly. I don't even think Ozil has settled in completely yet, and he's playing very well. Once he is completely comfortable, he'll be pretty unplayable in the middle.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:II think they still need to strengthen the squad in the January window, if they don't and they are still contesting the CL they will fail. If Wenger and the Arsenal board don't see that then they deserve to be scrapping for a top four spot rather than scrapping for the title. Really going to be interesting to see what happens after Christmas...

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. If Giroud remains injury-free, or Podolski/Walcott return from injury and step-up when need be, we could potentially win the league with only one clear striker. What other positions do you feel drastically need improving?

Ideally, I'd like another goalkeeper and CB as well, but I think we could last the season with Verm as third choice and Szcesney between the sticks.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Pickleman1967 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:02 am

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:II think they still need to strengthen the squad in the January window, if they don't and they are still contesting the CL they will fail. If Wenger and the Arsenal board don't see that then they deserve to be scrapping for a top four spot rather than scrapping for the title. Really going to be interesting to see what happens after Christmas...

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. If Giroud remains injury-free, or Podolski/Walcott return from injury and step-up when need be, we could potentially win the league with only one clear striker. What other positions do you feel drastically need improving?

Ideally, I'd like another goalkeeper and CB as well, but I think we could last the season with Verm as third choice and Szcesney between the sticks.

Fair point, Man United won the league last season with a slightly 'thin' squad, but I think that was the exception to the rule. What I'm getting at is if Arsenal can avoid defeat in the run up to Christmas they should have a sizable lead, and it is while they are in that position of strength that a couple of quality signings would signal their ambition. It would give the whole club an even greater lift and provide some insurance for the inevitable injuries and dip in form. Wenger seems keen to do well in the CL, but those extra games against quality opposition will take its toll eventually. It may mean loosening the purse strings again, but Arsenal can afford it, and if the prize is the league title it would be money well spent. Yes, another striker would be a good investment, as would a quality CB but they are not easy to find. It may mean splashing out another £40-50 million.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Spurs fan, I won't be willing the Arsenal board to spend big in the transfer window! :wink:
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Pre-season i predicted second place.

I'll stick with that.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby greggo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Boom! An Arsenal thread. Lovely.. :lol:

Yes, we can win the league. I have no doubts. Positive! :D
greggo
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Pokerkings » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Steely Hill wrote:Pre-season i predicted second place.

I'll stick with that.

Who do you think will win the league?
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby greggo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Pokerkings wrote:

I'll stick with that.

West Ham.... :shock:
greggo
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Pokerkings » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 pm

:lol:
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby greggo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 pm

But in all seriousness its still hard to look past the big 3..... if we are up there come May i'll be happy. 5 to 8 points off minimum required..
greggo
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:51 pm

greggo wrote:
Pokerkings wrote:

I'll stick with that.

West Ham.... :shock:

:lol:

I still think chelsea will come good and take it.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Pokerkings » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:16 am

Oh please no. I'd rather City than them mugs.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby greggo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 am

Pokerkings wrote:Oh please no. I'd rather City than them mugs.

Likewise, but do feel Chelsea are the stronger. Who knows. Wouldn't it just be great if we won it?? :idea:
greggo
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 pm

I understand that Arsenal often have a poor November so lets see how they do this time against the likes of Man Utd etc.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby stpremiership » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Hams wrote:I understand that Arsenal often have a poor November so lets see how they do this time against the likes of Man Utd etc.

Man Utd weren't brilliant, otherwise fairly good November.
stpremiership
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby bonita3g » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:32 am

If they beat Cardiff and Hull in next two match they have a big chance
bonita3g
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League