England v Germany - 19th November

Join us here to discuss all the Euro 2016 qualifiers plus England internationals as The 3 Lions try and reach the finals in France.

Moderator: Moderators

England v Germany - 19th November

Postby Hams » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 am

England take on Germany at Wembley stadium in their final match of the year.

Having lost 2-0 to Chile last week we will be looking for a much better performance this time.

Roy Hodgson is set to bring back Hart in goal and Steven Gerrard in midfield plus one or two others.

The Germans are said to be resting Arsenal's Ozil plus the Bayern keeper and Philip Lahm.

Any comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby tonyclaus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:34 pm

i think that the final score will be 2-2...Just feeling... :)
tonyclaus
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Hams » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Teams

ENGLAND:
Hart, Walker, Cole, Jagielka, Smalling, Cleverley, Gerrard, Lallana, Rooney, Townsend, Sturridge...

Subs: Johnson, Ruddy, Baines, Gibbs, Cahill, Milner, Lampard, Barkley, Wilshere, Henderson, Lambert, Forster, Defoe, Rodriguez....

Germany
Weidenfeller, Schmelzer, Boateng, Mertesacker, Westermann, Sven Bender, Lars Bender, Reus, Kroos, Götze, Kruse.

Subs - Adler,Jansen,Hummels,Höwedes,Sam,Müller,Schürrle,Draxler
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Simply » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 pm

:shock: :roll: ... Loachim Löw is testing out things again... 8 changes in the starting lineup compared to the Italy match last friday...

What the hell has Westermann to do there????

I'm glad that Weidenfeller finally gets his opportunity.. but that lineup seems quite random to me.. I don't beleive they can play as one team today... very talented players thoug (except for Westermann :roll: ), but I don't expect a win from the germans today..

I like the english lineup for today...
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Simply » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 pm

.. As expected.. Germany appears pretty goofy :lol: ...
I would not watch this game if it wasn't England vs. Germany...

today the only german who played as a starter in the Euro 2012 was Boateng... and he was not a central defender - he played left back...whatever..
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby redpelt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 pm

England dominating the ball ,but running around like 10 knife wielding
maniacs who have yet to target a victim .

Germany with the little possession they have had ,playing considerably
more measured and controlled football..... No problem just soaking up
all of England's attacks.
0-1 Lovely header from the Gooner'z man

A familiar tale unfolding then ?
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Simply » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 pm

FT England 0-1 Germany

..when I look at the german lineup, I think that's a quite surprising result, but their defence made a pretty solid job and they had 55% ball possession in the end.. I can't remember if Roman Weidenfeller even had to save a single ball tonight.. after all a deserved win for Germany....

England has to invest in its youth.. :(
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:22 am

England lose consecutive matches at home for the first time since 1977

It was only a slightly better display than the one against Chile but still not good enough.

Smalling was at fault for allowing Mertesacker to head the Germans winning goal in the first half.

All I can say is that we are very lucky that we were not playing their full team or we would have been destroyed.

Roy Hodgson can try and come up with all the positives he can after the game but he is living in a dream land.

This has been an extremely disappointing international break and end to 2013 and not even god wont be able to help us in Brazil.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:27 am

Meh, I'm not that disheartened. We weren't thrashed by the Germans and we had made a lot of changes. We aren't a top international side, a commentator on Five Live said a good performance for England would be to reach the quarter finals in Brazil. I think that is true, and I think it is possible. You can't judge our chances by these friendlies, lets see what happens when we get over there.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:34 pm

England didn't have a single shot on target against Germany's 2nd strings at Wembley last night which was a disgrace.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Ant » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:Meh, I'm not that disheartened. We weren't thrashed by the Germans and we had made a lot of changes. We aren't a top international side, a commentator on Five Live said a good performance for England would be to reach the quarter finals in Brazil. I think that is true, and I think it is possible. You can't judge our chances by these friendlies, lets see what happens when we get over there.

Keep in mind though that Germany played without five players who have been shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or this year. No Neuer, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Özil and Müller. Khedira, Gomez and Klose are injured. More than half of the regular starting eleven didn't play.
Ant
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Simply » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Ant wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:Meh, I'm not that disheartened. We weren't thrashed by the Germans and we had made a lot of changes. We aren't a top international side, a commentator on Five Live said a good performance for England would be to reach the quarter finals in Brazil. I think that is true, and I think it is possible. You can't judge our chances by these friendlies, lets see what happens when we get over there.

Keep in mind though that Germany played without five players who have been shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or this year. No Neuer, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Özil and Müller. Khedira, Gomez and Klose are injured. More than half of the regular starting eleven didn't play.

but what would be Germanys regular starting eleven?!
..based on the Euro 2012 just Boateng and Hummels(as a sub) played yesterday...

Code: Select all
Neuer
Boateng Hummels Badstuber Lahm
Schweinsteiger Khedira
Müller Özil Podolski
Gomez

..additionally I'm pretty sure Schmelzer and Reus are starters too..
..but Götze, Kroos and Mertesacker still have to fight for a place..
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Ant » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 pm

A lot has changed since 2012. Badstuber has been permanently injured and Podolski lost his place in the squad.
Schmelzer has to compete with Jansen and lately Löw seemed to prefer Schürrle over Reus.
Ant
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Simply » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:44 pm

...a whole different starting lineup could have played yesterday..

Code: Select all
Neuer
Lahm Hummels Höwedes Jansen
Schweinsteiger
Müller Özil Draxler Schürrle
Sam

....the injury list: Podolski, Klose, Gomez, Gündogan and Khedira

..to have so many options for one single national team is incredible...
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby Bren10 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:19 pm

No surprise really other than we didn't create anything against a makeshift back four.
Joe Hart played well and kept the scoreline respectable in the end. Thought the Germans were quite wasteful in the end and could've bagged a couple more.
Squad depth is the issue plus the over reliance on spent forces again. Townsend is good at carrying the ball for a bit but his end product is too inconsistent, Cleverly is...I don't know what he is, runs around a lot but doesn't do too much.
No real creativity in midfield and Sturridge/Rooney needs a lot of work, problem is we don't have time now so who knows what to expect.
Bren10

Postby redpelt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Teams of far superior technical ability will line up against England
in Brazil ,and I honestly don't think last nights performance bodes well
in terms of an extended stay in Rio ....and that's even before the
words' England expects' and 'Bulldog Spirit' appear emblazoned across
every tabloid.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:27 am

redpelt wrote: 'Bulldog Spirit' appear emblazoned across
every tabloid.

:lol:

that always makes me laugh as every Bulldog i've ever seen has been the most chilled out, laziest beast you could ever wish to meet.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 am

i was infuriated by the behaviour of Adrian Chiles after this latest defeat. it was a friendly ffs and the bloke looks like he's ready to commit suicide (even more so than usual). what is wrong with these people?

we lost to a considerably superior team in a friendly match. it really isn't that big a deal and was a fine opportunity for inexperience players to play together against class opposition with the relative burden of expectation on their shoulders. you learn more in defeat in this type of game than a routine win against some minnows who we promised a friendly in return for their vote, that's for sure.

of course there are numerous better teams than England. of course we won't win the world cup. but so what? can we not just enjoy being part of an international tournament where the players are allowed to lose provided they give maximum effort and do not shame us in the manner they did during 2010?

be critical if its needed after the tournament is over. all this whining helps nobody.

the quarter finals would signal a good enough return for me, and even that is dependent on the draw for the second round. as a man who traditionally watches literally every single game of every world cup and euros i am sick of enjoying every game of football except for england games. that has partly been because of the clowns in an england shirt but it is largely down to the cretins within the media who turn every tournament into a quest for blood.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Super Mario10 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I would not say that the german team that was on display was much much better than englands they just looked more comfortable with each other throughout the game...

I agree with the chiles comment though , i have no idea why they get so upset england are barely a top 20 international side so why heap so much pressure on them..

Will never rate andros townsend typical hype after a handful of decent performances , walcott is ten times the player townsend is..
Super Mario10
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:05 pm

What possessed ITV's programme executives to give this man airtime ?
It just continues to confound me how anyone blessed with all his faculty's
and not plagued by perpetually urinating down his own leg would proffer
this tool the much coveted sports position in terrestrial television.

Chiles is the most miserable discourteous unfunny individual that has ever
soiled our screens ,a case of genital warts would be infinitely more comfortable
than enduring this walking bowel's 'Carry On' quips .
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Next

Return to International football