Arsenal v Southampton

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Arsenal v Southampton

Postby Conner99 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Arsenal failed the big test so to speak as they lost 1-0 to Man Utd at Old Trafford ....a win against the current Premier League champions would have been a massive boost for Arsene Wenger and his players , but he has vowed to come back stronger in the next game and that will mean 3 pts against Southampton .

Southampton will head for the Emirates with nothing to fear after beating Hull 4-1 , it has been an amazing start to the season by the Saints and they now lie 3rd in the table just 3 pts off leaders Arsenal , manager Mauricio Pochettino was full of praise for his side ...he said after the game (through an interpreter) "I want to congratulate all of my players. They put in an amazing performance - all of them".
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Jack Wilshere is fit to play against Southampton and is not injured says Arsene Wenger following
several reports in the news that the Arsenal manager was angry with how his player had been handled by England.

I think the Gunners will get back to their best following the defeat at Man Utd and will bring the high flying Saints back down to earth.

Arsenal 3-1 Southampton
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Ah, isn't it good to be back to the Prem? This could be a difficult tie for Arsenal, it all depends on whether the Saints can keep the momentum going. No doubt about it, they have been playing very well. However, Arsenal have been looking good apart from a couple of hiccups, and should have too much for them at home. Arsenal 2 Southampton 0.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:09 pm

this is such a vital match for us to win I don't think I will be able to stand it if we dont , Walcott will be in the squad I hear ..he is now fully fit again .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:37 am

a first half goal will be crucial to steady the home nerves as the longer Southampton go without conceding the more their confidence will grow. their defence has been tighter than a nun's lady parts so far this season so it should be a close game one way or another.

Southampton will loko to hit on the counter i am sure but i think Arsenal are just strong enough to get by 2-1.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Did you know that Arsenal have not lost a home league game against Southampton since November 1987, winning 13 and drawing five of their 18 matches since.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Will be good to see Walcott back in the team; looking forward to seeing him link up with Ozil in particular.

3-1 Arsenal
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Hams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Teams

Arsenal -
Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Cazorla, Giroud.

Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Monreal, Rosicky, Walcott, Gnabry, Bendtner.

Southampton:
Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Hooiveld, Shaw, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse, Lallana (c), Rodriguez, Lambert.

Subs: Gazzaniga , Yoshida, S. Davis, Osvaldo, Chambers, Reed, Gallagher.
Last edited by Hams on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Kick off has been delayed to 3.15pm due to travel problems in North London.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Comedy goal keeping by Boric has given Arsenal the advantage. Southampton are clearly not too bothered about the reputation or position in the league of Arsenal, I remember watching them play a similar game against the mighty Spurs last season. They are a decent team. I'll stick with my original prediction, the Arse look a little more clinical in the final third.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:23 pm

What the hell is Boruc on! :D
Good victory pale perfromance from Ozil for me. Didn't stamp any authority ion this game , and i think this team in particualr would have been a good chance for him to put in a blinder!
Great to see someone finally give a penalty for that shirt grabbing ,even though the ref's overall perfromance was pitiful.
Good to see Walcott back and Giroud was battling for every ball .
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:23 pm

FT

Arsenal 2-0 Southampton
1-0 Giroud 22'
2-0 Giroud 86’ (pen.)

Arsenal go 4 points clear at the top of the table thanks to a moment of madness from Saints keeper Boruc.

Any comments on this Gunners victory?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Only that the Saints are a very well disciplined team. You get the feeling that if they had better quality up front they would be a threat to any team in the top four. Nonetheless, fine win for Arsenal - the result was always more important than the performance. Full points for me on the score forecast! :)
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12 pm

yes .,. a win was the most important thing , I was still nervous at 1-0 as we have let in late goals in the past ..we seem to be more stronger though this season ....the late penalty was a welcome relief and made sure of the 3 pts .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:02 am

It really was a moment of madness from Southampton keeper Boruc!

Maybe he thought he was Johan Cryuff or something and he was in the Dutch total football team of the 1970's?

While Arsenal may have won this game they didn't really dominate it and needed a keeper error and penalty to win it.

I thought Jack Wilshere looked good out there and he was unlucky not to score considering he was meant to be injured!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:07 pm

embarrassing for Borat. no idea what he was thinking and he cost his team the game.

i was pleasantly surprised to see the penalty (correctly) given for the foul on Mertesacker. absolutely sick of people saying it happens all the time and so it shouldn't be given. actually there should be pens given every time it happens. inferior defenders using improper means to stop their opponents, it infuriates me.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Steely Hill wrote:embarrassing for Borat. no idea what he was thinking and he cost his team the game.

i was pleasantly surprised to see the penalty (correctly) given for the foul on Mertesacker. absolutely sick of people saying it happens all the time and so it shouldn't be given. actually there should be pens given every time it happens. inferior defenders using improper means to stop their opponents, it infuriates me.

If they did that ,they would expose a lot of players they trumpet as being the lifeblood of English football identity! :D
But it would also make the league a lot more exciting to say the least ,you would have goals galore and you might even see Drogba come back for 20 gaols a season, even at his adavanced age! :)
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 pm

specnur wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:embarrassing for Borat. no idea what he was thinking and he cost his team the game.

If they did that ,they would expose a lot of players they trumpet as being the lifeblood of English football identity! :D
But it would also make the league a lot more exciting to say the least ,you would have goals galore and you might even see Drogba come back for 20 gaols a season, even at his adavanced age! :)

it wouldn't mean Drogba would get 20 goals, it would mean Lampard would probably get about 50 goals - 45 of them from the penalty spot... :wink:
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
specnur wrote:

it wouldn't mean Drogba would get 20 goals, it would mean Lampard would probably get about 50 goals - 45 of them from the penalty spot... :wink:

True that!!!!!! :D
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Hams wrote:
While Arsenal may have won this game they didn't really dominate it and needed a keeper error and penalty to win it.

that maybe true , but i dont think think any true Arsenal fan will care one jot ! :)
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League