Is AVB on the brink of getting the sack?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Postby Hams » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 am

There are strong rumours that this could be the case following Spurs 6-0 humiliation at Man City last Sunday.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Yeah, pretty sure this is hot air. David Ginola was on Talk Sport this morning, saying how he would like to manage Spurs one day. Talk about opportunism, he may as well be trying his Spurs blazer on for size!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Re: Is AVB on the brink of getting the sack?

Postby Conner99 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Hams wrote:Is AVB on the brink of getting the sack?

There are strong rumours that this could be the case following Spurs 6-0 humiliation at Man City last Sunday.

one really bad result and AVB is history , well a few bad results if you add losing to Newcastle 1-0 ...it would still be a major shock if he was sacked , 2 or 3 weeks ago Spurs were 4th so i dont think the fans should panic just yet .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:39 am

i would imagine he is on quite a good contract so sacking him would be a costly affair.

one question that Levy would ask himself is who could spurs realistically attract that would be a better option than Villas-Boas? right now i don't see that there is much out there and he needs to be given an opportunity to allow his squad to develop together and gel. i dare say that next season is the season he should truly be judged since the team could completely be called his own without any excuses regarding settling in and new faces.

the club has seen a major overhaul in playing staff and that takes time. undoubtedly things are far from perfect at Spurs but i don't see the benefit in such a short term mentality. Spurs fans are infamous for their fickle nature and fondness for sensationalism but they'll do well to have a reality check, settle down and get behind their manager and what he is trying to do.

and i say all that as somebody who would very much enjoy seeing the club fail miserably in everything they do.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Steely Hill wrote:i would imagine he is on quite a good contract so sacking him would be a costly affair.

one question that Levy would ask himself is who could spurs realistically attract that would be a better option than Villas-Boas? right now i don't see that there is much out there and he needs to be given an opportunity to allow his squad to develop together and gel. i dare say that next season is the season he should truly be judged since the team could completely be called his own without any excuses regarding settling in and new faces.

the club has seen a major overhaul in playing staff and that takes time. undoubtedly things are far from perfect at Spurs but i don't see the benefit in such a short term mentality. Spurs fans are infamous for their fickle nature and fondness for sensationalism but they'll do well to have a reality check, settle down and get behind their manager and what he is trying to do.

and i say all that as somebody who would very much enjoy seeing the club fail miserably in everything they do.

I agree with what you are saying Steely, spot on in fact. I don't agree that Spurs fans are any more fickle than other fans. Football is a reactionary sport, for everyone involved with it - if you are winning you are a genius, if you are losing you are a clueless f*ckwit. That is how it works for most fans. I don't notice West Ham fans defending Allerdyce much these days.

I think the issue here is that since the season started there have been complaints about our style of play and our lack of attacking threat. When the one thing we have been generally good at (being hard to break down) is totally blown away in the most embarrassing way, fans then ask "What's left?".
I think AVB has to given until the end season at least, to sack him now puts us in the same revolving door state as Chelsea and Man City. However, if we get another hiding on Sunday I'm thinking the knives may be out....
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:i would imagine he is on quite a good contract so sacking him would be a costly affair.

I agree with what you are saying Steely, spot on in fact. I don't agree that Spurs fans are any more fickle than other fans. Football is a reactionary sport, for everyone involved with it - if you are winning you are a genius, if you are losing you are a clueless f*ckwit. That is how it works for most fans. I don't notice West Ham fans defending Allerdyce much these days.

I think the issue here is that since the season started there have been complaints about our style of play and our lack of attacking threat. When the one thing we have been generally good at (being hard to break down) is totally blown away in the most embarrassing way, fans then ask "What's left?".
I think AVB has to given until the end season at least, to sack him now puts us in the same revolving door state as Chelsea and Man City. However, if we get another hiding on Sunday I'm thinking the knives may be out....

perhaps it is just the ones that i meet but i can identify a spurs fan just from a general football discussion (in real life) almost 100% of the time. their bias seeps through into every conversation and their cluelessness is often unrivalled. to be fair, people such as yourself and one or two other Spurs fans i've engaged with via the interwebs have shown me that not all spurs fans are utter arseholes but many arseholes are spurs fans (a disproportionate amount from my experience).

i would also add that Allardyce has pretty been divided our support 50/50 from the very moment he toko the job. i don't think it has ever deviated beyond a 55/45 split in his favour at any point. personally speaking, i don't particularly enjoy him as a manager but accept we can probably get no better for our predicament right now and wouldn't want him to be sacked in any case.

to be fair, you were blown away but the best attack in the division, if not the world (when it all clicks together). it's embarrassing and, on the top of other disappointing performances and results, becomes another nail in the coffin of this early run of games but a 6-0 loss is of the same 'value' as a 1-0 loss. i highly doubt goal difference will be a deciding factor and, in a way, a massive drubbing like that could be just the kick up the arse the players needed.

poor performances are often overlooked and cracks papered over when you're nicking 1-0 wins or drawing. this lays bare all the ineffectual parts of your team and system and ruthlessly exposes them to everybody. they simply can not be ignored any longer and i think that result could lend itself to a solid run of games - whether that starts with or after Man United remains to be seen though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuua8Rrz9Hs
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:25 pm

the plain truth is that fans will always be happy enough if their team is winning whoever is in charge , no one can really criticise if your team is 4th in the table and doing ok , for a team like Tottenham they have been spoilt over the last few seasons ...they should learn to be a bit more patient before bringing the knives out ..Tottenham are not doing too badly .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Steely Hill wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:
many arseholes are spurs fans (a disproportionate amount from my experience).

You just haven't met enough Spurs fans chap. Most of us have developed a "gallows" sense of humour from being disappointed so many times and living in the shadow of Arsenal for so long. I would tend to put aggressive fans in the 'arsehole' category, and we've never been that.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby stpremiership » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Conner99 wrote:the plain truth is that fans will always be happy enough if their team is winning whoever is in charge , no one can really criticise if your team is 4th in the table and doing ok , for a team like Tottenham they have been spoilt over the last few seasons ...they should learn to be a bit more patient before bringing the knives out ..Tottenham are not doing too badly .

I always ask, the 'who else' question. If it's not Alien Vs Breadator then who else would you like to see? Holloway, Ancelotti? Michael Laudrup has won the league cup.
stpremiership
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby stpremiership » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Steely Hill wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/29/andre-villas-boas-tromso-fan-sacked-chant-ejected?CMP=twt_gu

Ah well, you've got to laugh... or get people ejected from the stand.
stpremiership
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby specnur » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Any talk of him being sacked is ridiculous in my opinion!
However he made some major blunders in the match against Man city!
He had players available to him that would have made this game very competitive indeed!
I wouldn't sack him behind that one gaff ,but if he continued to make that same error in judgement you would have to think about pulling the plug on his career at Spurs. Spurs have the most potent mid field selection in football in my opininon ,too many in fact. And i think that is his biggest problem,I didn't know what the hell they were doing when they bought these players
and he doesn't know how to filter out the successful combinations.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:29 pm

I enjoyed watching AVB'S rant after the Spurs v Man Utd.

Why does he think there is an agenda against him by certain newspapers?

I think it was wrong to single out the journalists who work for The Daily Mail.

Why can't writers or fans question his team selections and tactics any longer?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:00 pm

from what i saw it wasn't a rant. seemed a reasonable criticism of a couple of hacks.

journalists are a precious bunch but no doubt that did wonders for their ego.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Tipster » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:20 am

They're still on course to finish in the Champions League really. Long way to go. It seems that Spurs are being over-ambitious by maybe wanting to go for the league title.

I don't know the exact figures, but he hasn't spent that much in terms of being more then he has received from the Bale transfer. I could understand if they invested a lot of money in the playing squad, but they've just re-distributed the wealth from one player in the squad, to a few.

Many new players - time to gel - better results. No problem.
Tipster
Young Pro
Young Pro

Re: Is AVB on the brink of getting the sack?

Postby Conner99 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Hams wrote:Is AVB on the brink of getting the sack?

oh....how we can all laugh now ...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Well Spurs may have won their last 2 games on the road at Fulham and Sunderland
but they weren't really convincing victories and they still have a lot to do to even make it in the top 4.

I guess we can lay off AVB for now and discuss somebody else, Might start a thread now about Sam Allardyce :lol:
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:16 pm

maybe wait until after the game against Sunderland ... :wink:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League