Southampton v Tottenham

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Southampton v Tottenham

Postby Conner99 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Southampton rescued a point at Newcastle but remain without a win in five Premier League games , the 1-1 result leaves them in 9th position and manager Mauricio Pochettino will be hoping for a bit of Christmas cheer as the Saints prepare for the festive fixtures .

Tottenham fans had to endure their worst ever defeat against Liverpool at White Hart Lane , the 5-0 defeat was all the more embarrassing as Tottenham did not have a single shot on target during the whole game , manager Andre Villas-Boas said the result was his responsibility but he was not a quitter .

****BREAKING NEWS****

We all now know Andre Villas-Boas is no longer manager at Tottenham , Tim Sherwood has been put in temporary charge at White Hart Lane , will he be able to get Tottenham back on the right track .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 am

With the current problems that Spurs have plus last nights league cup knock out by West Ham I fancy the Saints to win this.

Southampton 2-1 Tottenham
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:18 am

Despite the loss to West Ham in the cup, Spurs played some decent football with the 4-4-2 formation, especially in the first half. Southampton a good side at home, but I think were are good for a draw. 1-1.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby YoBBo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Need the players to step up and show some spirit. Our main problem all season in my opinion is a lack of desire to get on the ball, need all the players to step up and move into space and demand the ball. So many times a midfielder will pick up the ball, look up for a pass and see nothing. Then roll it back to Dawson who will lump it up field, it's absolutely pathetic.

Need to play a deeper line in defence, when our full backs venture forward, we are left with 2 centre backs against 3 attackers on the break, which was more than apparent against Liverpool.

I'd personally like to see us line up as:

--------------- Lloris

Walker Dawson Chiriches Rose

------------- Capoue
----- Dembele ------Holtby

Lennon -------------------- Lamela
------------- Adebayor

Hopefully Eriksen will come good, even though he's been injured, he still is a way off understanding what is needed of him in the premier league. I think Holtby deserves a start, has put in a few good performances and is one of the few players who actually shows some passion in trying to win the ball back as soon as we lose possession.

I'm not the biggest Adebayor fan but for me he is still the best striker at the club, Defoe and Soldado are better finishers but he holds the ball up ten times better than them combined and brings in the midfielders and wingers higher up the pitch. Without him Townsend/Lennon drop deeper to pick the ball up and are faced with 2 or 3 players to beat to get into a position to cross or have a shot.

Not hopeful for this game to be honest with the woeful performances we've put in this season. A little passion and commitment from the lads is mandatory though. They may or may not have been fans of AVB or the board but a performance is needed to show commitment to THFC and the fans. I can't actually remember a premier league game this season where we won and put in a performance that fully merited it. Although might have been blinded by this god awful run we're on.

Let's hope and go for a sneaky 2-1 win.
YoBBo
World Class
World Class

Postby Hams » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:54 am

Welcome back to the forum YoBBo!
With Johaldo having also visited us recently its good to see our Spurs contingent going back up again :)

It has been confirmed that Tim Sherwood will be in charge of the Tottenham team again for the match at St Mary's.

Will he go with another 4-4-2 formation like against West Ham in the cup?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Did you know that no striker has scored for Tottenham in the Premier League since October 27th.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Well Yobbo wasn't too far short of the mark with his proposed line up. Sherwood has gone for a brave attacking line up, I hope it works! I have a feeling it will go incredibly well or disastrously wrong, I hope it is the former rather than the latter!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Teams

SOUTHAMPTON:
Gazzaniga, Chambers, Lovren, Hooiveld, Fox, Cork, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez, Lambert.

Subs: Cropper, Yoshida, Fonte, Ramirez, Ward Prowse, Reed, Gallagher.

TOTTENHAM:
Lloris; Walker, Dawson, Chriches, Rose; Lamela, Dembele, Eriksen, Sigurdsson; Adebayor, Soldado.

Subs: Friedel, Capoue, Fredericks, Bentaleb, Holtby, Chadli, Defoe.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Good to see you pop up YoBBo. The woodwork must be overflowing with spurs fans, inevitably forcing some of you out ;-)
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:22 pm

HT

Saints 1-1 Spurs

1-0 Lallana 13

1-1 Adebayor 25

That was an enjoyable first half especially Adebayor's acrobatic finish!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Very fine goal by Adeybayor even if it was our only shot on goal. COYS!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:31 pm

FT

Southampton 2-3 Tottenham
1-0 Lallana 13
1-1 Adebayor 25
1-2 Hooiveld 54 OG
2-2 Lambert 59
2-3 Adebayor 64

Tim Sherwood wins his first league match as Spurs interim manager.

I though Adebayor played very well today and deserved to be the man of the match.

If the big Togo striker could play like that every week he could be one of the best in the world.

Any comments on Tottenham's win?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Very happy with the performance, I'd like to see Adebayor play like that more often. Three very good points, not too many clubs go to Southampton and come away with a win. Up the Spurs!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Johaldo8 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:20 am

Yobbo hit the bail on the head.

Adebayor is undoubtedly the best forward at the club, and for the very reasons that Yobbo stated.

Excellent win. Sluggish to begin with, but once we scored we were easily the better team and when Adebayor scored what proved to be the winner, we should have put them out of sight.

I am not getting ahead of myself here and i do not expect miracles of Sherwood, but i hope he gets the chance until the end of the season because we have nothing to lose now. Everyone expects us to flop.

TTID.
Johaldo8
World Class
World Class

Return to Barclays Premier League