Are Liverpool still in the title race?

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Are Liverpool still in the title race?

Postby Hams » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:06 am

Are Liverpool now out of the title race following those defeats away at Man City and Chelsea?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Gazza-LFC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:46 pm

In my opinion we were never in it,true matematically we were but in reality City and Chelsea were always gonna pull away once we got over the christmas period.

Liverpool's task as it was at the beginning was to qualify for the Champions League and right now we are well on course to do this,we have lost narrowly to the two teams who in my opinion will fight it out and finish in the top 2...so for me no disgrace and we have to pick ourselves back up and go and beat Hull on wednesday.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby deeman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 am

I think Liverpool are still well and truly in it. No other team will go to Man City and Chelsea and come away being narrowly beaten 2-1. I thought the ref at stamford bridge didn't do the reds any favours which is usually the case their anyway.
Once Gerrard & Sturridge are back and fully fit they will come good.
deeman
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:31 pm

I would say Liverpool still have a chance, they have played all the big boys away so the second half of the season will probably be easier. It is all about self belief and bottle - in all honesty I'd be surprised to see them win the title but while it all so close they still have a chance.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:25 am

Firstly,I hope everyone enjoyed the festivities over Christmas and New Year, and
2014 finds you all in good health.

Secondly,I would cling to the hope ,rather than the belief ,that the reds can indeed
challenge for the top spot,but then that would be simply pandering to the romantic
in me and affording my heart to overrule some calculated reasoning ......So taking
into account our formidable home form,whilst balancing it up against our at times
this season colander of a defence,then I expect Liverpool to push hard to finish the
season as high as we possibly can ,but in truth our respective visits to Man City and
Chelsea have dampened expectations somewhat.

Liverpool to finish third,I think that's more realistic than a tilt at the title.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Davey1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 pm

It's na?ve to say no when we're just 6 points off top and we play the top teams mostly at home this year.
Having said that, our squad is too thin and we've done brilliantly so far in terms of fitness but injuries are popping up.
If we have a January window like we did when we signed Sturridge and Coutinho then we could challenge very easily.
We have a brilliant side but we don't have the numbers and it seems we have no faith in Iago Aspas so hopefully this Salah guy we're linked with will live up to the good words I've heard about him.

Realistically, I predict 3rd or 4th.
Davey1
Senior Pro
Senior Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Are Liverpool now back in the title race following their 5-1 thrashing against Arsenal?

Brendan Rodgers had dismissed the Reds chances a few days ago before this big win against Gunners.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:41 pm

1 Liverpool 32 22 5 5 88 39 +49 71 WWWWW
2 Chelsea 32 21 6 5 62 24 +38 69 LWLWW
3 Manchester City 30 21 4 5 80 28 +52 67 DWWWW
4 Arsenal 32 19 7 6 56 37 +19 64 DDLWL

The Reds have now won their last 8 in a row and are top of the league. Can they really go on to win it?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby mrtz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:59 pm

It will be difficult because at any given day, our leaky defense can implode and cost us precious points. We still have a tricky trip to West Ham, and considering their positions in the table, Norwich and Crystal Palace may still have a lot to play for to get meaningful points that could keep them in the top flight. Then there's also the little matter of hosting the two teams that we've yet to beat this season, who are coincidentally our title rivals in Chelsea and Manchester City. It could very well come down to the match against Newcastle in the finale to decide which of the three sides lifts the trophy. I am not discounting Arsenal either, who still have an outside chance, and outside of the Everton tie, have a fairly straight-forward schedule.

I'm enjoying the ride, and I like the fact that lifting the trophy will be all up to the players and Rodgers winning each game. As it stands, we don't need any teams to do us favors, and if the lads keep the intensity, goals, and wins coming, we will be taking home the trophy.

Still, the big question mark is still the defense and their well-known frailties throughout the season. Defense wins championships, and that's something the likes of Chelsea have the comfort of falling back on. If Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Flanagan, and Mignolet stay strong, they will prove to provide a more meaningful impact than our quartet of S's Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling, and Stevie.

I'm glad I'm not a part of the team and I am amazed at how calm they have been. Hopefully they keep their composure better than I do and can do the job. It's gonna be a crazy month.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Conner99 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:25 pm

I think Liverpool are in pole position right now , they know if they win all their games they will be champions ..no relying on other teams dropping points . It will of course be difficult with both Man City and Chelsea to come , but those games are at Anfield and Liverpool seem to be scoring plenty at home this season .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:27 am

I really hope that Liverpool will go on to win the title and not Chelsea or Man City.

The Reds have after all played the most attractive football of any side in the PL even better then Arsenal.

When i was growing up they would win the 1st Division on a regular basis and its amazing that the last time was in 1991.

They are also going to provide a number of players for the England team for this years world cup in Brazil unlike the others.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:19 pm

a bigger concern for Rogers will be the unrelenting optimism going into next season. i think he's absolutely right to play down title talk but you just know that winning the league will be the immediate focus next season from everyone outside of the management and probably the squad.

they've done some fine work this season and the paper is still covering the cracks adequately but it is essential that, for the good of the club, people remain level headed. third place would present a fantastic accomplishment, fourth place would be great.

next season, the same again would be similarly impressive.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Yep, the 'Pool have played some excellent stuff this season and seem to be maintaining form when it matters - a function of not having to play in Europe meaning fewer games and injuries?

Looking at where they sit in the league right now, of course they can win the title. Like Hams, I'd like to see them win the league if the alternative is Chelsea or Man City. Spurs generously gave their hit men target practice last weekend so they should have their eye in against West Ham for another three points.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Steely Hill wrote:a bigger concern for Rogers will be the unrelenting optimism going into next season. i think he's absolutely right to play down title talk but you just know that winning the league will be the immediate focus next season from everyone outside of the management and probably the squad.

they've done some fine work this season and the paper is still covering the cracks adequately but it is essential that, for the good of the club, people remain level headed. third place would present a fantastic accomplishment, fourth place would be great.

He won't win it next season ! Not unless the league clams down with the FFP !
When they have to deal with European football as well as league play you'll see them drop off a bit in league form which is the ONLY reason they are up there right now. No injuries to key players ,you get an injury to either Sturridge or Suarez now and their title winning ambitions are over. But i think most Liverpool fans are a little more realistic and just happy to be back playing with elite of Europe ,something Wenger has gotten for 16 years straight ! :D
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pokerkings » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:06 am

I can see Brendan Rodgers preparing his side for next season. He will need little more depth but I think he'll bring that in. They have a smaller squad and have played 10 less games. Still, if you look at how they set up, there’s plenty of rotation that goes into their game. Rogers picks his starting 11 6 games at a time. He ensures everyone gets a run out and feels motivated, he picks the right players for the right side and he has his players fresh for the action half of the season. Liverpool don’t have 4 key players out!! and Gerrard is a notorious crock!

I've been impressed by them this season, I think they've most certainly played the best football and despite having injuries to key players, have still managed to grind out results. Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge have all been out this season.

I also think he tactically get it spot on. He picks a system based on who he’s playing and who he’s starting. It’s pretty logical, get the most out of the attributes you have on offer and pick of the weaknesses you face in front of you. As an Arsenal fan it's so refreshing to see.

The other thing I like about Brendan Rodgers is his clear direction for Liverpool. He's had a realistic plan and so far it's come together for him.

Keeping Suarez and not bending over and taking it up the arse like Wenger would have was key to their season and shows how important it is to keep your best players. Not only that but Rodgers has managed to keep Suarez and the rest of his side motivated.

Liverpool have proved that good management and sharp thinking can overcome massive spending. Something I’ve been saying for years here. City and Chelsea isn’t an excuse (Even though Specs has been in bed with this one for years now) for underachievement when you’re at the top level. Ferguson dealt with them and he’s had a drastically lower budget over the past five years. Dortmund proved budget is not important in Germany. Even Jose when he won the Champions League with Inter.

Liverpool took a punt on Brendan Rodgers and it seems to be paying off so far. But time will tell.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pokerkings » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:09 am

specnur wrote:
Steely Hill wrote:a bigger concern for Rogers will be the unrelenting optimism going into next season. i think he's absolutely right to play down title talk but you just know that winning the league will be the immediate focus next season from everyone outside of the management and probably the squad.

But i think most Liverpool fans are a little more realistic and just happy to be back playing with elite of Europe ,something Wenger has gotten for 16 years straight ! :D

Wow, 16 years and only 1 little final to show for it......which he lost.

I'd much rather be Liverpool who have had 2 finals in that time and actually won the competition.

Thanks for highlighting what a true **** Wenger is Specs!! :D
Last edited by Pokerkings on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pokerkings
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:12 am

Pokerkings wrote:I can see Brendan Rodgers preparing his side for next season. He will need little more depth but I think he'll bring that in. They have a smaller squad and have played 10 less games. Still, if you look at how they set up, there’s plenty of rotation that goes into their game. Rogers picks his starting 11 6 games at a time. He ensures everyone gets a run out and feels motivated, he picks the right players for the right side and he has his players fresh for the action half of the season. Liverpool don’t have 4 key players out!! and Gerrard is a notorious crock!

I've been impressed by them this season, I think they've most certainly played the best football and despite having injuries to key players, have still managed to grind out results. Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge have all been out this season.

I also think he tactically get it spot on. He picks a system based on who he’s playing and who he’s starting. It’s pretty logical, get the most out of the attributes you have on offer and pick of the weaknesses you face in front of you. As an Arsenal fan it's so refreshing to see.

The other thing I like about Brendan Rodgers is his clear direction for Liverpool. He's had a realistic plan and so far it's come together for him.

Keeping Suarez and not bending over and taking it up the arse like Wenger would have was key to their season and shows how important it is to keep your best players. Not only that but Rodgers has managed to keep Suarez and the rest of his side motivated.

Liverpool have proved that good management and sharp thinking can overcome massive spending. Something I’ve been saying for years here. City and Chelsea isn’t an excuse (Even though Specs has been in bed with this one for years now) for underachievement when you’re at the top level. Ferguson dealt with them and he’s had a drastically lower budget over the past five years. Dortmund proved budget is not important in Germany. Even Jose when he won the Champions League with Inter.

Liverpool took a punt on Brendan Rodgers and it seems to be paying off so far. But time will tell.

Good post mate .
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Pokerkings wrote:
specnur wrote:

But i think most Liverpool fans are a little more realistic and just happy to be back playing with elite of Europe ,something Wenger has gotten for 16 years straight ! :D

Wow, 16 years and only 1 little final to show for it......which he lost.

I'd much rather be Liverpool who have had 2 finals in that time and actually won the competition.

Thanks for highlighting what a true **** Wenger is Specs!! :D

You'd rather have mid tale mediocrity over elite status for numerous years?
That's what i said about your self esteem , in the toilet pal.

I say it again just because you seem inert on completely ignoring it . The ONLY reason Liverpool are finding success at this stage in the season is because the are NOT playing European football! It is no coincidence that Gerrard a player that you have admitted being a "crock" has not been that hobbled because of the light schedule ! Yes Liverpool have had players out ,every team has and players out our team is lighter than Liverpool but we have been top longer than them and we had champions league and late runs in both domestic cups. So don;t come on here bigger Rodgers up like he's anywhere near Wenger cause he isn't ,a progressive thinking manager yes and one that i like very much but he will never do what Wenger has done in this league.
I am quite certain that he will probably end up with just the champions league spot. But i am sure Liverpool fans will take that and be dry happy ,unlike yourself!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Lets call every thread on the forum 'The Arsene Wenger Thread', as sooner or later Specnur and Pokerings will turn them into all into a debate about the old boy... :roll:

I'm not so sure Liverpool fans would be "happy" with a top four spot given that they are so close to the end of the season, and sit on top of the league. I'm thinking some of them would gladly sacrifice one or two of their children to the football gods if it meant they finished the season where they are now.

I'm no Liverpool fan, but I can sense a bit of "excitement" about the league this season, not so much that it is still very close more that there is a chance of an 'outsider' winning it. That hasn't happened for a long time, it would be a welcome change.

If I were a Liverpool fan I think I'd be waking up like a nervous, excited schoolboy every day, getting more nervous as each match day approached. Fourth place after coming this far? A bit like losing a tenner and finding tuppence.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby redpelt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:49 pm

I predicted third ,as that would more than sate my hopes for this season,but
suddenly we're all becoming almost frighteningly attuned to evolving those
dreams significantly,So whilst ensuring I keep both feet firmly planted on the
floor ,I must confess that its becoming increasingly more difficult not to become
swept along with the euphoria that's currently surging through the Kop.

Its hard to put my finger on why the belief that's prevalent amongst fans has
suddenly gained a genuine intensity and a wholeheartedness that's hard to
ignore,but if I had to make a comparison I would say it mirrors perfectly the
collective and strenuous effort the team put in to drive us to European glory
in 2005 when all the odds were against us,and yet we overcome Leverkusen
Juventus,and Chelsea,and eventually Milan in a truly remarkable final.

The broadsheets wrote us off before we even played Juventus ,they insisted
Chelsea would be simply going through the motions in brushing us aside ,and
still we knew something was happening ,and that we would all be needed
to play a vital part in our progress,something that would make for one of the most
magical nights we have ever experienced.

I could reel off my own personal account of that night in the Atatürk Istanbul ,but
it would only serve to derail why I have proposed this feeling as being similar to the
ones we're experiencing now,but even if we succumb to the Ammerz at the Boleyn
the belief will still remain ,but I suspect the boys will be going there in full voice,so
listen well to our chants on MOTD because it doesn't matter whether we win or lose
the lads are definitely on to something....Its six games and its now simply a case of
shit or bust,admittedly not the most flattering description,but it perfectly describes
the level of attitude that will be ubiquitous in our level of play.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League