Aston Villa v Arsenal

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Aston Villa v Arsenal

Postby Conner99 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Aston Villa beat bottom club Sunderland 1-0 and it was a much needed win for manager Paul Lambert , he said after the game .."it could have been more than a 1-0 win, we had good chances so it could've been three or four."This is a hard place to come but I'm delighted with the result . The win moved Villa up to 11th in the table ..

Arsenal regained top spot in the Premier League with a 2-0 win over struggling Cardiff at the Emirates , they left it late though'... goals in the 88th minute from Nicklas Bendtner and Theo Walcott in the 90th minute meant they remain a point ahead of Man City ..however an injury to Nicklas Bendtner as he scored that goal and the subsequent serious knee injury to Theo Walcott in the 2-0 FA Cup win over Tottenham has left manager Arsene Wenger with a huge headache upfront .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 pm

I remember when Aston Villa shocked the nation by winning 3-1 at Arsenal at the begining of the season
but Wenger soon managed to turn things around and the Gunners are now top of the table and title contenders!

Aston Villa 1-2 Arsenal
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Aston Villa are tricky team to predict, they have had a couple of remarkable wins against Arsenal and Man City this season and quite a lot of average results against average teams. I fancy them to score at home (no real science in this, I just have a feeling in my bones) so I'm going for a 2-3 win to Arsenal.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Conner99 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:07 am

it will be a tough game with our attacking options a bit stretched ...Podolski is sure to start I would have thought , he need to have a better impact than the game against Cardiff .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Did you know that Arsenal are unbeaten in 14 Barclays Premier League trips to Villa Park, winning seven and drawing seven.

Any more comments or predictions?

Olivier Giroud should be back in the team for this game while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is now fit again and could take some part.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Arsenal will now have to win away at Aston Villa tonight if they want to regain top spot in the premier league table.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm

can't see this posing too many problems for Arsenal.

Aston Villa have been mostly woeful of late and i'd expect a relatively quiet evening for the Arsenal backline to continue their fine clean sheet record.

a routine 2-0 win for the away side
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Arsenal haven't been in this position for years! Where they ahve no reaosn to play for every second of the game .
It's not like when they are trying to win a champions league spot ,this is to protect thier top spot in the league.
It is all in thier hands and i am guessing this is what has got Santi Cazorla to finally step up his game. If everyoe else follows his effort this game will be a doddle, so i expect a Arsenal win. They should look for revenge in this game for thier opening day loss which should be fresh. Villa could be looking at this game as a chance to change their fortunes against a team they already beat.
So i don't see it being too easy .
2-3 Arsenal .
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Teams

ASTON VILLA:
Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Luna, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Delph, Agbonlahor, Benteke

Subs: Steer, Sylla, Bacuna, Tonev, Helenius, Weimann, Albrighton.

ARSENAL:
Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Wilshere, Flamini, Cazorla, Ozil, Gnabry, Giroud

Subs: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Rosicky, Podolski, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ju-Young Park.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:38 pm

What a goal by Giroud! The first touch of supreme artistry and the finish didn't lessen the overall quality either!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm

OZIL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: my, my ,my! :roll:
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 pm

HT

Aston Villa 0-2 Arsenal

Wilshere
Giroud

Arsenal completely dominated the first half while Villa couldn't even manage a shot on target.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Ffs man agbonolehor broke Rosicky's nose with his elbow and nothing comes of it ,disgusting!
If he would have won the ball i wouldn't said anyting as he made a legitimate attempt at getting the ball ,but he didn't so he shuld have gotten a card.

Anyway decent win for Arsenal made it harder than it should have been ,but scraped it out! Back to the top of the league with some very winnable fixtures ahead to put some pressure on our rivals.
Fell a sleep for a few minutes into the secod half ,so iw as surprised to wake up and see Ozil still on the pitch and Gnabry off!
That to me is very surprising (unless Gnabry got injured) because Ozil was shockingly poor for 42 million quid!

Have to give Mertesacker some credit ,he was immense in this game won almost everyting thrown into the box!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Pickleman1967 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 pm

Didn't see the game, but caught the commentary second half. Sounded like a game of two halves, Villa decided to start playing when it was too late. They are such a Jekyll and Hyde side, it must be fricking frustrating for the fans.

As for Arsenal, a big result with all their title rivals winning over the weekend. The W is all that matters against teams like Villa away, never mind the performance.

I have to say this Premier League season is so much better than last season - just waiting to see who will blink first in the title race is very entertaining for the 'neutral' like me. You can keep yer La Liga, Serie A, and the Bundesliga!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby eaman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:33 am

Specnur you just can't stop havin a go at ozil can you. No he wasn't brilliant or even good but he did a few. Good things including a good pass for the first goal. I know it wasn't anywhere near a 42 million pound performance but it was better than gnabrys performance No arsenal player had a great game. Ozil was never the type to dominate games anyway. He usually just produces flashes of brilliance at times
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:27 am

eaman wrote:Specnur you just can't stop havin a go at ozil can you. No he wasn't brilliant or even good but he did a few. Good things including a good pass for the first goal. I know it wasn't anywhere near a 42 million pound performance but it was better than gnabrys performance No arsenal player had a great game. Ozil was never the type to dominate games anyway. He usually just produces flashes of brilliance at times

Obviously you didn't wtach the same game i watched pal ,because Gnabry was threatening and linking up passes!
Go back and wtach how many poor passess Ozil made in that first half, he was shocking!
You just have to come to terms with the fact i was rigft about the overrated Germanfomr the start mate!
I am rarely wring about my observations on players that have seen . He was not impressing me at Real madrid and that has only been magnified in the premiership!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:58 am

FT

Aston Villa 1-2 Arsenal
0-1 Wilshere 34'
0-2 Giroud 35'
1-2 Benteke 76'

Arsenal go back to the top of the table.

It was a good response from Villa in 2nd half but they are very much in fight against relegation.

Jack Wilshere had an excellent game for the Gunners and should be a starter for England if he keeps this up.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 pm

We don't half make it hard on ourselves! We should have killed the game off in the first half but title winning sides have to grind out these results and that's what we've been doing so no complaints here.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Conner99 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:54 pm

yes ...we took our foot of the gas and lo and behold Villa get a goal and it is a very nervouse last 15 mins or so , but we do seem to have a better defence now and we held on for the 3 pts , which was so important for us .

There were a few things that angered me ...the elbow on Rosicky I thought was a booking and also the tackle on Monreal was dangerous even though it is claimed he got the ball ...we are now waiting to see if Monreal will be out for a while ..

The performance of Ozil continues to worry me , he had a great start and played pretty well, but since November he has rarely performed outstandingly ...I am willing to give him more time though .. not currently looking a £42 million player I must say . It looks like Serge Gnabry could be on player who can compete for a regular place in the team ...plenty of ideas and a great shot that unfortunately hit Nathan Baker in the face .

So top once again and still a fight between 3 or 4 clubs ...
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:52 am

Stan Kroenke's moustache wrote:We don't half make it hard on ourselves! We should have killed the game off in the first half but title winning sides have to grind out these results and that's what we've been doing so no complaints here.

No complaints about Ozil's perfromance yet Stan ,you don't half have some patence mate! I guess it will take us plumeting down the league before you start taking notice! Why not get on his case now before the rot starts ,if he steps up his game like Herr Hill thinks he will we'll be a lot more comfortable against teams of this calibre.
You lot are letting him slide because we are still winning games .
You'd make sh!t managers ,i'll tell you that! :lol:
specnur
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League