Liverpool v Aston Villa

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Liverpool v Aston Villa

Postby Conner99 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Liverpool won for the first time at Stoke since 1984 ...the 5-3 result was largely due to the deadly form of Luis Suarez who added another two gaols to his tally ...the win put the Reds 6 pts behind leaders Arsenal and in 4th place in the table .

Aston Villa could not stop Arsenal regaining top spot in the Premiership ...the 2-1 defeat meant Villa have their worst home record since the 3 pts for a win was introduced . But a little good news for Villa fans ..Christian Benteke scored his first goal in 14 hours and 45 minutes , his last goal was against Newcastle in September
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:14 am

When Rodgers ,comes to his senses and realizes that he has to scarifies either one of Gerrard , lucas or henderson Liverpool will make games like thos a doodle. I would bench Lucas personally ,as they need to have more creativity in the middle! They got some decent wing play and when Enrique comes back they will be a test for most if thier confidence is high. Anyway they will win this game ,but if they rest too many of thier starters which they will need to do at some point against weaker stuff like this , it could be tough. 2-1 liverpool
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby KimKallstrom2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:14 pm

I saw they placed Lucas in a more attacking role against Stoke so that they could accommodate Gerrard in the holding role.

That surely cannot be a solution going forward. I will be interested to see if they do this against Villa as well.

Liverpool are doing well and the return of Sturridge is a big factor but I must say I was impressed with Villa's second half performance against Arsenal the other day and if they continue like that in this game then they stand a good chance of a draw. However I think Liverpool's fire power with Sturridge to pair with Suarez again will be the difference in the end.

2-1 Liverpool.
KimKallstrom2
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 pm

This should be a comfortable home win for Liverpool which will send Aston Villa dropping even further into relegation trouble.

Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Liverpool negotiated the potential banana skin at Stoke last week, to lose at home against Aston Villa would be a surprise and undo the good work they have done since their Christmas 'wobble'. I can't see that happening, though as I've said before Villa are the most difficult team to predict in the Premier League. At times they have looked like they could give any team a game, at times they have looked like 11 blokes picked at random from the local boozer.
I trust Brendon Rodgers will have the home team focussed for this tie and I don't see too many dramas. Liverpool 2 Villa 0.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Teams

LIVERPOOL:
Mignolet, Johnson, Cissokho, Skrtel, Toure, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Lucas, Moses, Allen, Aspas, Alberto.

ASTON VILLA:
Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Bertrand, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Delph, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Benteke.

Subs: Steer, Sylla, Helenius, Albrighton, Luna, Gardner, Holt.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:38 pm

Well, I don't think anyone anticipated a Desmond with Liverpool at home, but it would seem that Lambo left the pub team behind today and took 11 professionals on the coach to Merseyside. I didn't see the game, but Talk Sport are reporting that Villa bossed the first half, and that Luis Suarez dived for the penalty in the second half.
I'll check it out on Match of the Day, but whatever the ins and outs of the game, a good point for Villa and two important points lost for Liverpool at home.
The top four places are going to be hotly contested this season, I'm hoping Spurs can keep the wheels on the wagon by beating the Swans tomorrow.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:23 pm

FT

Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa
0-1 Weimann 25
0-2 Benteke 36
1-2 Sturridge 45
2-2 Gerrard 53 PEN

Any comments on todays unexpected draw?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:58 am

So who then thought it was a penalty or was Suarez up to his old tricks again and dived?

Sure there was some contact between him and Villa keeper Guzan but he went down very easily in my book.

Aston Villa deserve some credit for their performance especially in first half and Benteke is slowy returning to his best.

It was interesting that Reds manager Rodgers changed formation and went to 3-5-2 but did he have to sacrifice Coutinho?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:42 am

I don't begrudge Suarez the penalty, the keeper has to get all of the ball and not the man in that situation, but he didn't. Who wouldn't take a penalty for their own club under similar circumstances? I guess Suarez has the reputation so people question his honesty all the time, that is his own fault.
As for Villa, stroll on what a Jekyll and Hyde team they are. They were so good in that first half, pacey, aggressive, passing the ball really sweetly. Liverpool fans must have been sh*tting themselves when Villa went 2 up, as it could have been 3 or 4 with the chances they were creating.
Rodgers done well to turn the game with his half time changes, he says they won't give up chasing the title but lets be honest two points dropped at home against the Villans is not form of champions.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:51 pm

NO way was that a penalty ,no way whatsoever!
I was actually quite shocked by Liverpool inletitude with thier best attacking line up in some time. Lucas was dropped to the bench as i thought would happen ,but they were unable to do what i thought they would be able to do. They looked a bit disjointed and there was no flow to their play. I still believe in that set up especially against the better teams ,but they looked spoilt for choice of options!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby redpelt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:18 pm

If Liverpool had left the field 0-4 down I wouldn't have had any cause for
argument ,such was the ease Delph and co passed the ball around and
through our stagnant midfield.

I am loathe to heap any praise on the team or indeed Rodgers for the second
half turnaround as it was pretty much common sense ,but yesterday it was
replaced with an arrogance I have yet to see from Rodgers.

How he envisaged Gerrard playing that role was beyond all my comprehension
and then to tinker with a successful formation to accommodate Gerrard and
then accentuate the quite ridiculous by dropping our only true defensive
midfielder to the bench.....Wow !!!! Just wow !!!! there's a head that could
swap hats with Steve Bruce.

Gerrard has played this game for many years ,so to afford the fans so little
effort really was a disgrace... Against Stoke we were run ragged with him
in that position ,and yet Rodgers still persists and then exacerbates the
problem by dropping Lucas .

Then we have Johnson picked without even attending training ,and yet I was
under the illusion that Rodgers placed great importance on training before a
big match......How silly do we look now ? I mean haven't players been placed
on the bench because they couldn't attend training ?

It seems some extreme concessions are being made to oblige our two current
weakest links and its having a detrimental effect on our mind set.

Rodgers got this so wrong ,from the formation to the personnel ,its probably
best consigned to the Red wine with fish folder.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:26 pm

So can i take it then redpelt that you don't like Gerrard playing as a holding mid and think that should be Lucas's role?

Where should our current England captain be playing then if he is no longer able to start as an attacking mid in the side?

Also what did you think about the Suarez penalty as i don't think that you made any mention about it in your post at all!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Hams wrote:So can i take it then redpelt that you don't like Gerrard playing as a holding mid and think that should be Lucas's role?

Where should our current England captain be playing then if he is no longer able to start as an attacking mid in the side?

Also what did you think about the Suarez penalty as i don't think that you made any mention about it in your post at all!

Sorry Hams ,let me clarify ....I believe Gerrard's inclusion in this team alters the mindset of
the side drastically ,I therefore consider his involvement to be detrimental and in terms of
playing styles a polar opposite to the pressing articulate quick passing football Rodgers has
promised to implement.

In short Rodgers clearly does not possess the stones to drop Gerrard to the bench and is
apparently willing to dilute his ideals and compromise his beliefs to oblige a 33 yr old who
is quite evidently some way off the player he was.

That said ,Gerrard had the chance to perform in the role given to him by Rodgers,and yet
he looked disinterested and was caught out of position just a touch too much for someone
who has played at the very highest levels throughout his career..... I watched from the Kop
as he ambled about the field like a complete novice .....Yesterday, although his arrogance
would have him believe different ,he kicked this football club in the proverbial teeth.

On the penalty it was soft ,but there was clear contact ,and it would be less scrutinised
if it wasn't for Suarez being the transgressor ..... You can understand me omitting it from
my assessment given my subsequent anger over Rodgers sacrificing a competent fluid
team and practical formation in order to include Gerrard ,and then he gives arguably his
worst performance in a Liverpool shirt.

I will however add the disclaimer ,that in my estimation Steven Gerrard is possibly the finest
midfielder I have ever been privileged to see in the red of Liverpool,but his current lack of
application and above all heart does him, and his fame a great disservice.

I think he's seriously in danger of marring his legendary status with this club by consistently
proffering weak performances that do little to disguise his disinterest to those who ardently
follow this football club.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:27 am

Thanks redpelt for your thoughts on the Gerrard situation and Suarez penalty.

I do understand that he hasn't played well for Liverpool this season.

I just think it would be a shame if he was dropped from the team as it could mean he also loses his England place.

surely for all the times he has saved the Reds in the past captain fantastic deserves to keep his position at least end of season?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby KimKallstrom2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Jamie Carragher recently suggested that Gerrard could play at centre half.
KimKallstrom2
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 pm

KimKallstrom2 wrote:Jamie Carragher recently suggested that Gerrard could play at centre half.

:lol:

and they actually pay that man for his opinion.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby OWEN_ENG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:35 am

Worst performance of the season particularly the first half was dreadful!

Coutinho has been out of sorts and should be benched the next few games - reason is to give him something to think about in training and up his game a bit....impact sub would be ideal for the next few IMO.

Toure....good god where do I start...get him and Sissoko off the team...completely useless. I would obviously prefer Agger assuming he's fit which he wasn't in this case or heck even give Coates a chance...Toure is slow, and terrible at man marking for me. At left back....Flanagan has been a revelation and deserves a starting spot...rotate between him and Johnson and have Kelly play on the right would be better I think.

Gerrard had an off game...I honestly don't see him playing as deep as we was in the first half and succeeding in that role...it will be difficult. For me his best position is playmaker to pick out those passes to Sturridge and Suarez...Gerrard should be alongside Lucas.

Sturridge sigh...fortunate to score but the damn guy is just too selfish when it matters...

I along with many others probably had high hopes when we were sitting on top at Christmas but winning the title is a huge stretch for us. I'll be happy with two things....

1) top four finish
2) finishing above utd
OWEN_ENG
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:13 am

1) top four finish
2) finishing above utd

I can see you finishing above Man Utd but I'm not so sure at this moment if you're good enough to finish in the top 4.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Gazza-LFC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 pm

The only man to blame for this performance was Rodgers,he got way too arrogant thinking we would play Villa off the park...wrong!

we played with a 2 man central midfield with both being way too far from each other,Gerrard was in the deep playmaker role while Henderson was the box to box midfielder,these two together will never work without a ball winning/holding midfielder...this is where Lucas was missing,with Gerrard playing so deep and Henderson trying to support Suarez and Sturridge it meant we had to go more route one with Gerrard playing as a quarterback as Henderson was nowhere near him....this then gave Delph,Westwood and El Ahamadi (sp?) the whole of the central midfield to run and find Benteke,Weimann and Agbonlahor with ease.

I actually think once he's played there more regularly Gerrard will be perfect for the deep playmaker role....but only in a 3 man central midfield....in Benitez's team we had an awesome 3 man midfield of Mascherano (the holding/ball winner),Alonso (the deep playmaker) and Gerrard (box to box midfielder)...this worked like a dream and we were solid and very rarely lost a midfield battle.

Now obviously our personnel isn't as good but this 3 man midfield can still work perfectly...Lucas(holding/ball winner) Gerrard (deep playmaker) and Henderson as the box to box player....in a 2 man midfield Gerrard has to cover way too much ground and when he does then receive the ball he is under pressure to get rid straight away,in the 3 man midfield he'll have Lucas to protect him so will have much more time to pick a pass...

Gerrard has every quality needed to be a deep playmaker,he can pick a pass whether short or long and can tackle and head well...his only lacking attribute would be his timing and positioning but that will improve no doubt plus he'll have Lucas for cover..

I'm glad it was against Villa and not Everton,at least Rodgers will have learnt this harsh lesson and will go back to the 3 man midfield...if Lucas is injured then play Joe Allen in the role..

For the next 5 years or so we are going to see Gerrard in the deeper role whether we like it or not...we either complain for nothing or we support it and get on with it....for me it will work if he has the right players around him.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Barclays Premier League