Liverpool v Everton

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Liverpool v Everton

Postby Hams » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Liverpool could only draw their last game 2-2 at home with Aston Villa but stay in 4th place in the table.
Since then they have lost both Lucas and Glen Johnson to injury so Brendan Rodgers will need to change his line up.

Everton drew their last game 1-1 away at WBA and are still in contention at this point of this season to finish in 4th.
Roberto Martinez has angered West Ham recently by stealing the giant Ivorian striker Lacina Traore from under Hammers noses

Any comments or predictions for the Mersyside derby? The last one finished 3-3 at Goodison Pk and was very entertaining.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:05 am

Even with Lucas and Johnson missing, I think Liverpool will have enough to stop Everton winning, though I guess Gerrard will have to play like he did in the second half against Villa. I don't think there is much to choose between the two, and when you look at the stats there has been a lot of draws at Anfield (40 wins to Liverpool, 24 to Everton, and 33 draws).
I'm saying the stats will read 34 draws after this game. 1-1.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby specnur » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Should be a decent game this ,Oviedo being out is a big loss!
Martinez has all his players defending ,then it will be a tough game for Liverpool, as they have some quiute quick player that will disrupt Liverppol counter attack.
Looking forward to this one!
3-2 Liverpool
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 am

Did you know that Everton have won none of the last 13 Premier League visits to Anfield, drawing seven and losing six in that run.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Everton have both Oviedo and Coleman out, and Distan is struggling to be fit.
We have lost Lucas and if Allen doesn't make the game ,we will once again have
to endure 90 mins of football tomorrow watching Gerrard vying for possession
with Barry .....A mismatch of epic proportions.

Gareth Barry was arguably Everton's most astute signing in the transfer window
and Gerrard and Henderson will have to be at their best to even lessen Barry's
time on the ball

To compound our problems Skrtel and possibly Toure will have to cope with the
aerial threat of Lukaku :shock: I know this particular encounter has rendered
my nights almost sleepless.

I think the reds best hope rests with the talented feet of our strike force ,as
they have readily been available to rescue many an indifferent performance.

Liverpool 2 -1 ......Just
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Gazza-LFC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm too scared at the prospect of seeing Skrtel and Toure man handled by Lukaku just like Benteke did,not only that but we will probably have Cissokho at left back too leaving us with zero composure in our defence.

As redpelt says we will have to rely once again on our attack,our defence right now scares me and Everton will have chances.
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

unlike my Red friends above, i hold no such concerns for Liverpool and think they'll have far too much for their neighbours.

hopefully the match will be more of a footballing spectacle than the previous thugfests we've witnessed and i dearly hope the match official enforces the rules correctly, rather than allowing scum tackles to go unpunished because its a derby game.

2-0
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Teams

LIVERPOOL:
Mignolet, Cissokho, Skrtel, Toure, Flanagan, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling, Suarez.

Substitutes: Jones, Kelly, Ibe, Smith, Moses, Aspas, Alberto

EVERTON:
Howard, Baines, Jagielka, Mirallas, McCarthy, Lukaku, Barry, Barkley, Pienaar, Stones, Alcaraz.

Substitutes: Robles, Hibbert, McGeady, Naismith, Gueye, Osman, Garbutt.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 pm

HT

Liverpool 3-0 Everton!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 pm

A proper tanking for the Toffees, I must admit I didn't see this coming. I watched the first half, but switched to the Southampton game after the 3rd goal went in.
One of those games where defensive sloppiness and clinical finishing made the difference. Excellent win for Liverpool who will go to face the Baggies with a spring in their step.
As for Everton, the beginning of the end for this season?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:14 pm

FT

Liverpool 4-0 Everton
1-0 Gerrard 21
2-0 Sturridge 33
3-0 Sturridge 35
4-0 Suarez 50

Any comments on this rather one sided Merseyside derby victory for Liverpool?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 am

Even though Sturridge is on my fantasy team ,i am so glad he missed that penalty just to keep the boy feet on the ground!
The boy just annoys me no end with his celebrations ,they are without class or humility! Great talent ,but what horrible personality.
Should never be a role model for kids ,but that 's the self absorbed world we live in today!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 am

Interesting to know that it was the biggest margin of victory
in a Merseyside derby since Ian Rush scored four in a 5-0 Liverpool win at Goodison Park in 1982!

Any more comments on the Reds victory and why Everton didn't turn up?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Any more thoughts on the behaviour of Sturridge last night?

While it was great that he scored twice his tantrum when he was taken off was very childish.

I also really dislike his goal celebration and wish he would just get on with it when he scores.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby mrtz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Hams wrote:Any more thoughts on the behaviour of Sturridge last night?

While it was great that he scored twice his tantrum when he was taken off was very childish.

I also really dislike his goal celebration and wish he would just get on with it when he scores.

You just don't like goal celebrations because you never see them for your team :lol:
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Ian Rush ......Now there's player!
Him and Heighway , liked them two growing up!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm

mrtz wrote:

You just don't like goal celebrations because you never see them for your team :lol:

We have beaten Spurs twice and Cardiff 3 times this season you know! :oops:

Do you have any views on the Sturridge incident and are you feeling confident you can finish above Everton this year?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby mrtz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Hams wrote:
mrtz wrote:

We have beaten Spurs twice and Cardiff 3 times this season you know! :oops:

Do you have any views on the Sturridge incident and are you feeling confident you can finish above Everton this year?

I really don't pay much attention to goal celebrations, unless they are really unique like that Icelandic team or hilarious Suarez diving in front of Moyes. Other than that, they can do whatever they want, particularly on the club I support, as long as they keep scoring goals.

I'm not sure about where we will finish. Full-strength, we'll easily finish above Everton, but with only 15 healthy 1st team players - one of them Brad Jones - isn't making me very secure about any game.
mrtz
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 am

well i expected it to be comfortable for the home side but not that comfortable.

dominating win with some fine finishing on display. Sturridge has always had an arrogance and an attitude problem but was probably more annoyed at himself for missing the penalty and then messing about and wasting a chance later on when he would have been better off slipping in Suarez.

overall though a good win once again for Liverpool while those Blue scousers were incredibly generous in offering their monetary donations to Mr Suarez as he went to take a corner.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:55 am

Now that's what I call an atmosphere,Liverpool looked as fired up as I have
seen them this season, as they set about shoving those boastful taunts of
domination back down Martinez's ungracious neck straight from the kick off....

I must add that Martinez's arrogance was totally out of character with a manager
I always believed to be a humble man.....Still, it showed a complete lack of respect
for games well renowned for being relatively attritional affairs.

I don't believe in all my years I have ever heard a Liverpool manager predicting how
a derby game will pan out to the baying media's expectant throng.

Liverpool played on the counter attack and basically allowed Everton to have the lions
share of possession ,but at no time did we allow them to fully dictate the pace of the
game and Henderson and Gerrard broke up most of their play with some delightful tackling.

I thought Rodgers deployment of Coutinho hovering ominously in the middle behind two of
the most lethal pair of strikers in the Premiership was a master stroke and it afforded the
Bitterz (Sorry pet name) little room for error with his intuitive use of the ball a real plus
in the early stages...... Going forward we look formidable and we hit Everton time and time
again with some gorgeous offensive football all orchestrated by our own little Pablo Aimar
and a reinvigorated Gerrard.

Our defence looked solid with the return of Flanagan ,its amazing how cohesive a back line
can look when fullbacks carry out their instructions to the proverbial letter....John Flanagan
is such a player and for me he shown implicitly why he should be in the starting eleven every
week.

Sturridge was 'world class' ,I mean granted the title is a lofty burden to carry,but this lad
has real definable quality and the potential to become a legend at Anfield. I suppose that's
why I'm prepared to overlook his act of petulance because for me it shows a passion for the
game...I mean all the best players spit their dummies out from time to time ,Daniel will learn
such acts will not endear him to the Kop,but they will go some way in disproving this myth he
at times looks lethargic ....Greedy and frustrated, I can live with ,however such descriptive
references as disinterested and idle have no room at this club.

Gerrard as I stated earlier was turning back the years to his imposing best ,and long may it
continue ,however I still have my reservations about affording a visiting team that extent
of possession ,because we will be annihilated ,for all their possession Everton looked impotent
in attack and Skrtel and co snuffed it out with relative ease.

Anyway great game,and my throat is red roar from the singing ,I went out to celebrate in the
City centre and albeit from a few (we all have burdens to carry )of my mates, Everton fans
were conspicuous by their absence ......THE CITY WAS OURS !!! :wink:
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Return to Barclays Premier League