Man City v Barcelona - 18th Feb

Real Madrid won the CL last season, Will the likes of Ronaldo,Bale and James be able to do it again or will Bayern or Barcelona be able to stop them?

Moderator: Moderators

Man City v Barcelona - 18th Feb

Postby Hams » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:50 am

What a match we have in store for us when the Champions League gets
back underway again in February with the current leaders of the Premier League and La Liga facing each other!

Man City are still on course to win a domestic treble and have scored over 100 goals in all competitons.

Barcelona are top in La Liga at the moment but are in a 3 way fight for the title this time with both Madrid sides.
They have also had a crisis off the pitch with their president resigning over the transfer of Neymar from Santos.

Do you have any early predictions for this 1st leg at the Etihad?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:02 am

Man City may be without Fernandinho for the 1st leg against Barcelona which is bad news as they missed him during recent 1-0 defeat at home to Chelsea.

Any comments or predictions for this 1st leg clash?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Bren10 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:41 pm

I wont be surprised if we get hammered here so bad the tie is over before the 2nd leg.
Cannot defend for our lives and Citeh are the type of team we struggle against, physical, fast players who will destroy us on the counter. Pellegrini will know exactly how to play us and it will show over two legs.
Still not convinced with Tata, the defence is non existent and Messi doesn't look fit so all points to a Citeh win.
Bren10

Postby Ari1888 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Can't wait for the City - Barca tie, should be a cracker.
Ari1888
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Hams » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm

If Man City and Barca both play as well as they did last weekend we should as Ari posted be in for a real cracker!

There is just 1 more day to go now!

Any more comments or predictions?

Lionel Messi appears to be getting back to his best again. will the likes of Vincent Kompany be able to mark him out the game?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Bren10 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Still of the same belief im afraid. No way will we get a result here and Messi probably wont get a sniff as I expect City will flood the middle of the park to stop him, Xavi and Iniesta playing.
Still cannot defend and I just don't see City not scoring a couple at least.
Bren10

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Teams

Manchester City:
Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichelis, Clichy, Navas, Toure, Fernandinho, Kolarov, Silva, Negredo

sub: Pantilimon, Richards, Lescott, Nasri, Javi Garcia, Dzeko, Jovetic

Barcelona:
Valdes; Alves, Mascherano, Pique, Alba; Xavi, Busquests, Iniesta; Fabregas, Sanchez, Messi

subs: Pinto, Bartra, Adriano, Song, Sergi Roberto, Pedro Rodriguez, Neymar.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Weak link for city is Demichelis for me ,that clogger should get exposed and make this game tougher than if City used Richards!Also i executed to see Nasri start this game could cost city. This is where i think Pelligrini should shine best ,as he is familiar with the psychological game Barca plays. I see goals for both sides , and city should expect to concede or else they will lose confidence in their own ability .
City should take advantage of set plays with superior aerial ability.
3-2 city!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 pm

HT

Man City 0-0 Barcelona

There wasn't really any major chances for either side in the first half but Barca did dominate for long spells.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Simply » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm shocked of how harmless City was... barca is already through
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:42 pm

specnur wrote:Weak link for city is Demichelis for me ,that clogger should get exposed and make this game tougher than if City used Richards!Also i executed to see Nasri start this game could cost city. This is where i think Pelligrini should shine best ,as he is familiar with the psychological game Barca plays. I see goals for both sides , and city should expect to concede or else they will lose confidence in their own ability .
3-2 city!

What did i tell you?

Flipping clogger supreme ruins a perfectly good game! City made a big mistake not starting with Nasri in this one !
I think because of that He will start next game Demichelis obviously on't and that i tremendously good thing and i see Man city winning at camp nou.
I thought even with 10 men city exposed barca's back line and had them shook many times with Nasri on the pitch.

Man city didn't look that bad ,they held their own and to Peligrini's credit he took off a defender and put striker on with 10 men .showed incredible faith in his team and thats should carry well in the dressing room.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:44 pm

FT

Man City 0-2 Barcelona
0-1 Messi 54' PEN
0-2 Alves 90+1

Was Martin Demichelis to blame for this defeat?

If he hadn't made that stupid foul he wouldn't have been sent off and City would still have 11 men.

It was a big mistake by Pellegrini to select him in the first place and he should have gone with Lescott or Richards.

Also why was Kolorov playing as a winger when Jovetic was available?

I thought Dani Alves was the man of the match and he didn't stop going forward all night and deserved his goal.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 pm

Simply wrote:I'm shocked of how harmless City was... barca is already through

City were missing Sergio Aguero who has been their main scorer this season but Pellegrini's poor team selection didn't help.

He is obssessed by playing too many foreigners in his line up and not giving the English lads a chance like James Milner etc.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Simply » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 pm

specnur wrote:
specnur wrote:Weak link for city is Demichelis for me ,that clogger should get exposed and make this game tougher than if City used Richards!Also i executed to see Nasri start this game could cost city. This is where i think Pelligrini should shine best ,as he is familiar with the psychological game Barca plays. I see goals for both sides , and city should expect to concede or else they will lose confidence in their own ability .
3-2 city!

What did i tell you?

Flipping clogger supreme ruins a perfectly good game! City made a big mistake not starting with Nasri in this one !
I think because of that He will start next game Demichelis obviously on't and that i tremendously good thing and i see Man city winning at camp nou.
I thought even with 10 men city exposed barca's back line and had them shook many times with Nasri on the pitch.

Man city didn't look that bad ,they held their own and to Peligrini's credit he took off a defender and put striker on with 10 men .showed incredible faith in his team and thats should carry well in the dressing room.

I agree that Demichelles was a joke out there, but I must say the whole team disappointed me... I thought City would win this 2-0 as Barcelona isn't the Barcelona they were a few years ago and City improved very much and play a very good Premier League season this year.... but they were way to harmless tonight :?

I don't think they'll come back at Camp nou.. there is no way they'll win by 2 goals there...
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby eaman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 pm

I don't think city caused barca any real problems. Only silvas effort was the only clear one from them. Also barca didn't go all out in this game. I'm not sure you can blame demichelis for the goal. To me it looked like kompany went backwards and played Messi onside
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:46 am

Simply wrote:
I agree that Demichelles was a joke out there, but I must say the whole team disappointed me... I thought City would win this 2-0 as Barcelona isn't the Barcelona they were a few years ago and City improved very much and play a very good Premier League season this year.... but they were way to harmless tonight :?

I don't think they'll come back at Camp nou.. there is no way they'll win by 2 goals there...

Pelligrini should have used form the start NAsri and were missing Aguero ! You take that into consideration and the fact that Demichelis will not play next game i think Man icy should have a good idea and much confidence going into the next match.

Man city put enough threat on Barca with 10 men to show me that they have a very good chance of beating this team. Not only that Man city did well with 11 men on the pitch and Barca were kept very quiet!
For me Man city have the personal to win this tie quite easily.
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby specnur » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:55 am

eaman wrote:I don't think city caused barca any real problems. Only silvas effort was the only clear one from them. Also barca didn't go all out in this game. I'm not sure you can blame demichelis for the goal. To me it looked like kompany went backwards and played Messi onside

Then we watched a different game!

I saw a game where every time Man city got into the final 3rd of the pitch with the ball ,Barca defending desperately.
They looked incredibly shaky and that was without Nasri and Aguero ,but with an out of form Negredo and a relatively static Dzeko!
I also disagree and really have to laugh at the notion that Barca didn't go all out like they had that option!
The reason they didn't go all out was because man city had counter attacking speed on the flanks, and the series of fouls they committed in the first half only reinforced they fact they were shook about going all out!
They were pegged back by the speed simple as that . DeMichelis was the closest man to the scoring player ,it was his responsibility, the player is average at best! EXPOSED like i predicted!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby eaman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 am

Barca weren't great but they did what they had to do. They didn't really go all out but 11 v eleven I still think they were the better team. Not by much though. City never really troubled them besides the mess in the box and a half chance for negredo. They should have been able to create more seen as barca were more open than them and they were the home team
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 am

eaman wrote:Barca weren't great but they did what they had to do. They didn't really go all out but 11 v eleven I still think they were the better team. Not by much though. City never really troubled them besides the mess in the box and a half chance for negredo. They should have been able to create more seen as barca were more open than them and they were the home team

Wrong!
Most intelligent people know by now ,including Pelligrini , that it is important to quell any Barca attack in the opening 30 minutes of a game! Man city shut everything down with ease ,no desperation just perfectly timed interceptions and tackles.If it wash;t for that shock Demichelis who turned the ball over on almost every stopped Barca attack he took part in ,they would have walked this game!
The reason Baraca weren't great is because Man city reduced them to that level , i'm watching the game again just for you! That is the fourth time Demichelis has given the ball right back to Barca and we are still in the 18th minute.

It is so evident that Barca are more worried about Man city's attack than the other way around that much is clear!

Kolarov instead of Nasri was a massive error!

25th minute Negredo has had 3 good chances i don't think Barca has had one yet! Man city much more threatening already!
Barca committing a lot of fouls in succession Alvez in the book ,Cesc could have followed him.

31st minute Xavi finally takes a speculative shot from outside the box that Hart had no problem saving ,could be their first on target.

Negredo with a header that he should have put on target @ 25th minute great opportunity for a goal.

38th minute Dimechelis finally does something of note and chases Alexis out of bounds! :D

Half time .

Barca were impotent!

47 th minute Zabaleta with a ridiculous challenge could have went into the book ,ref played the advantage that came to nothing as usual!

52nd minute
Navas has the ball thinks he's fouled ref plays on for Alves to slot the ball between Kompany and DeMIchelis for what should have been a free kick ,but was ruled a penalty and red card.

Messi scores after 52 minutes of futility!

Barca all of a sudden got their tails up now Man city are reduced to 10 men!
Lescott comes on for Kolarov ,Nasri on for Navas !

If you leave the effort of Dimichelis out of this game there has been some absolutely beautiful defending by man city.

Alves misses a good chance to score @ the 67th minute.

76th minute . Best play of the game by City. Toure with a forty yard pass to Zabaleta on the edge of the box ,first time passes it to Silva who running into the box. Silva takes the ball on his chest then volleys on target forces a great save by Valdez. Should have done better with the finish!

Really impressed with the defensive job Fernandinho did in this game! A performance like this in the next leg will be pivotal to the success of man city that night.

86th minute Silva puts in a wicked cross that Valdez tips off of Dzeko's head for a definite goal.

up to this point Barca have been pretty much a non threat as you can tell !

Barca score a 90th minute game over!

Anemic performance form Messi yet again against an English team, Best player on the pitch Kompany for defending with absolute ease! Noteable mention for Fernandinho and Toure(as usual)!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby eaman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 am

I have to disagree with you on that Messi point. He wasn't at his best but he had an Ok game. A few nice bits of play and of course the goal. Negredo never really had a clear chance only silva troubled valdes. Considering how open barca can be city never really troubled them. City had more clear chances in that league game against Chelsea than they did tonight
eaman
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Next

Return to UEFA Champions League