Aston Villa v West Ham

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

Aston Villa v West Ham

Postby Conner99 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Aston Villa lost 2-1 to Everton and it was a superb late strike from Kevin Mirallas that denied Villa what would have been a well earned point . It was tough on manager Paul Lambert who said after the game , "We were excellent up until that first Everton goal, then for the second it's a world class free kick. You cannot do anything about that but I'm not so sure we deserved to lose the game". Aston Villa remain in 10th place ...

West Ham gained another vital win in their fight to avoid the drop , a 2-0 win against Swansea at Upton Park was thanks to two goals from captain Kevin Nolan who had Andy Carroll to thank for both goals , there was however controversy ..yes there was ..as Andy Carroll received a red card for appearing to catch Chico Flores with his arm , manager Sam Allardyce called it `an injustice `with Chico Flores accused of over-reacting to the challenge . The Hammers remain in the bottom three though and will need to keep up the recent good form against Villa .

**the FA has since announced that the red card issued to Andy Carroll will not be overturned as West Ham failed to prove that it was "an obvious error` by referee Howard Webb . This means Carroll will now miss the match against Aston Villa as well as Norwich and Southampton. On reaction to the decision Andy Carroll tweeted `disgraceful`**
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:27 am

It looks like Andy Carroll might still be able to play after all as the FA have apparently agreed to have a hearing with West Ham on Friday.
If this is the case then I quite fancy us to go to Villa Park and at least get a draw and not have any MORE awful referee decisions go against us!

Aston Villa 1-1 West Ham
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Steely Hill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:20 pm

a decision will be announced this afternoon on Carroll.

regardless, we'll storm Aston Villa and show no remorse as out watertight defence stretch to a whopping 12 clean sheets in what will surely be a 0-1 victory for the travelling side.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:34 pm

We have failed in our hearing at the FA today. I think we should now take this matter to the high court.

Andy Carroll won't take any part in this game on Saturday though.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:05 pm

No Andy Carroll equals bad news for West Ham. A player with 'presence' can lift a team and win games that would otherwise end in a draw or defeat. I'd have definitely given them a chance with the strongest team available, however Carroll's absence has changed my mind.
Toss a coin to see what Villa side turns up tomorrow, if West Ham are lucky it will be 11 headless chickens, if not I think the Villains will win.
Villa 3 West Ham 1.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Teams

Aston Villa:
Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Bertrand, Bacuna, Westwood, Delph, Weimann, Benteke, Agbonlahor

subs: Steer, El Ahmadi, Sylla, Helenius, Albrighton, Holt, Bennett

West Ham United:
Adrian, Demel, Tomkins, Collins, McCartney, Nolan, Noble, Taylor, Jarvis, C.Cole, Downing

subs: Jaaskelainen, Reid, Armero, Collison, Johnson, Borriello, Nocerino
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm

West Ham are unlucky not to be ahead first half, to be honest they have looked the more likely team but have lacked the telling touch in the final third.
Villa look a tad more threatening when they get the ball, but no doubt about this game it is totally wide open, just a question of who wants it most...
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Fine goal by Nolan, game on!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Well bugger me, two for Nolan. Game over I'd say, and an excellent win for West Ham. Do I hear an endorsement for Mr Allardyce from the Hammers fans?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:32 pm

I wont celebrate until the final whistle, there is still about 20 mins to go and anything can happen in that time.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Hams wrote:Boooo

Sam Allardyce out.

What about now?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:

Sam Allardyce out.

What about now?

Nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned.

I still want Allardyce out as our football has been a disgrace this season.

We should NOT be in this situation fighting against relegation with the players we have.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:55 pm

FT

Aston Villa 0-2 West Ham
0-1 Nolan 46'
0-2 Nolan 48'

The Hammers win back to to back for first time this season and climb out bottom 3.

Kevin Nolan has now scored 4 times in his last 2 games. Any comments on this result?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Hams wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:

Sam Allardyce out.

What about now?

We should NOT be in this situation fighting against relegation with the players we have.

For real? What players do West Ham have that are the envy of any club in the Premier League? I'd say damn fine performance today, and I'd be very happy with Allardyce in terms of keeping the team above the relegation fight, even without your best player Mr Carroll.
The point I'm making is this, West Ham are a mid table side at best. It is a work in progress, Allardyce may well not be part of the evolution of the club, but to sack him now would be nuts. I think it would be disingenuous to sack him before the end of the season, what say you chap?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Hams wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:

Sam Allardyce out.

What about now?

For real? What players do West Ham have that are the envy of any club in the Premier League? I'd say damn fine performance today, and I'd be very happy with Allardyce in terms of keeping the team above the relegation fight, even without your best player Mr Carroll.

Gone quiet on this thread?
The point I'm making is this, West Ham are a mid table side at best. It is a work in progress, Allardyce may well not be part of the evolution of the club, but to sack him now would be nuts. I think it would be disingenuous to sack him before the end of the season, what say you chap?
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:51 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Hams wrote:
Pickleman1967 wrote:

Sam Allardyce out.

What about now?

I didn't say that we have players that are the envy of any club in the PL.
What I wrote was that with the current squad we have we should not be fighting against relegation.
We should at least be sitting comfortably in mid table and trying to break into the top 10 and doing well in the cups.

The reason why it hasn't happend this time is mainly down to the manager Sam Allardyce and his poor coaching.

I know we have been without Andy Carroll for most of the season and also been unlucky with injuries to others
but its still no excuse for our very poor campaign and not signing another forward last summer was complete madness.

Sure it was a decent win today and good to see Kevin Nolan back in form but he is our captain and gets paid very well.

There is no point in getting rid of our manager now with only 13 games left to go but if we do go down he must be fired.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:37 am

a fine performance, full of the type of spirit needed in a relegation dogfight. the game plan was obvious, get a goal as early as possible and shut up shop.

the first half we were the better side and hit them on the counter time and time again. but for more composed finishing from both Jarvis and Downing we could have gone in 2-0 at the break.

we were always the most likely to score and Nolan took both his goals well, albeit the first one took a slightly fortunate deflection to send it home. Taylor and Noble, again, were immense though. Taylor has been something of a surprise lately - probably battling for a new contract i suppose, but he gives everything he has for the team and i can only applaud that kind of spirit.

Collins handled Benteke superbly although as the game wore on i did think Benteke would nick a goal - he is a monster in the air - so i was delighted to see us extend our clean sheet record.

the discontent at Lambert seems to be growing ever more at Villa Park. not sure what the club can realistically attract these days though as i'm sure Lerner has a tight reign on the purse strings.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:44 am

as far as Allardyce goes, i've said all along the dressing room has always been behind him. if they weren't i'd have wanted him out a long time ago. however, the way the Board will loko at it is if they were to sack Allardcye during our bad run, who would they get in? they'd look for Sam Allardyce basically, which is why they kept him - plus the considerable payout he'd enjoy, i'm sure.

the thing is, if we beat Norwich tomorrow then we could be in the top 10, that is how dreadful this league is.

if we had a fully fit eleven to choose from all season then we wouldn't be fighting relegation, it is as simple as that. our defence has been rock solid until injuries to Reid, Collins and Tomkins kicked in - not to mention our full backs being interchangeable for the same reason.

our issue has been scoring goals and it's plain to see why. our game is centered around Carroll and we're lost without him. his loss can not be underestimated in terms of impact.

obviously question marks must be placed on Allardyce about his lack of foresight in this regard but it looks like he (and our owners) took a gamble. whether that pays off remains to be seen but we're certainly a different animal with our defence almost back together and Carroll ready and waiting to play.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League