West Ham v Norwich

All the latest breaking news,important match topics and great discussion can be found right here!

Moderators: Steely Hill, Moderators

West Ham v Norwich

Postby Conner99 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:14 pm

West Ham made it two wins on the trot as they beat Aston Villa 2-0 , captain Kevin Nolan was the hero again with both goals and the result lifted the Hammers out of the bottom three and up to 15th place ..the reports that some Hammers fans had to be treated for shock after the match are unconfirmed , but manager Sam Allardyce praised his team after the game "It is a fantastic win at this stage of the season. For us to put back-to-back wins together is very important and really does build your confidence.

Norwich made sure there was no repeat of the 7-0 hammering they suffered at the Etihad by Man City as they held the potential title favourites to a 0-0 draw at Carrow Road , it was an important point for the Canaries and manager Chris Hughton was asked after the 7-0 defeat back in November , what was different about this game ..he said "well , we defended better" .
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:41 am

A relegation 'six pointer' as they say, I think this will be a good game. A draw is a tempting call, as both teams will be desperate not to lose, both teams come off the back of morale boosting successes.
Norwich have only won on four of their 24 visits to Upton Park and their last victory came back in 1987. However, they have only lost one of their last nine league matches against the Irons.

I'm going with 1-1.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:49 am

I'm feeling confident that we will continue our impressive run and pull further away from the relegation zone.

Kevin Nolan is in excellent form at the moment but we need more goals from the likes of Downing and Jarvis out on flanks.

This is just the sort of encounter that Mark Noble in the middle of the park should dominate and Taylor if he wants new deal.

Adrian has now kept 3 clean sheets in a row and could well be the keeper we have been looking for to replace Jussi in goal.

At the back James Collins and James Tomkins have been putting in some good shifts and Winston Reid is now also fit again.

West Ham 2-0 Norwich
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Steely Hill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:08 pm

we've got more than enough to see off Norwich. the reverse fixture was a diabolical collapse by us after leading the game so we'll be keen not to repeat that.

i'd expect Nocerino to get more of a look in as we'll not need the blood and guts defensive play of Taylor in this game, although it would be harsh to leave him out.

it'll probably be similar to the side that played Villa with Reid looking to come on for a run out later on so the only possible changes are the two Italians. Boriello isn't much of a target man so we'd need to adapt our play somewhat but as the home side it is down to us to dictate the tempo.

i think another clean sheet is on the cards and, possibly, another 2-0 win.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Conner99 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:05 pm

with Kevin Nolan getting both goals again ... :wink:
Conner99
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Teams

West Ham:
Adrian, McCartney, Nolan (c), Tomkins, Jarvis, Taylor, Noble, Collins, Demel, Downing, C.Cole.

SUBS: Jaaskelainen, Reid, Armero, Collison, Diame, Borriello, Nocerino

Norwich City:
Ruddy; Martin, Yobo, Bassong (c), Olsson; Tettey, Johnson; Snodgrass, Fer, Redmond; Hooper.

SUBS: Bunn, Whittaker, van Wolfswinkel, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Elmander, Garrido.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Absorbing game, and another big win for West Ham that will surely be a massive boost for the club as they look to keep the relegation wolf from the door. I watched the second half, Norwich had about 4 excellent chances before Collins headed the Hammers ahead (the Norwich keeper did not cover himself in glory with the cross btw). Anyhoo, doesn't matter who had the possession and chances, it is all about sticking the ball in the onion bag.

Hughton will have a few sleepless nights before the end of the season, his strikers are having a drought just at the wrong time. It is going to be very close for the dreaded relegation spots, I expect it will involve at least 8 clubs right until the final couple of weeks.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Apparently West Ham now have 4 clean sheets in a row - surely this is a very useful habit to get into if you want to avoid the drop. Excellent win.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:42 pm

FT

West Ham 2-0 Norwich
1-0 Collins 84'
2-0 Diame 90'

The Hammers late show piles on the misery for Norwich and their under fire manager.

I haven't seen the highlights yet but I understand that our keepr Adrian played a real blinder in goal.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:15 am

Massive, massive win. make no mistake about that.

Adrian, once again, was immense. absolutely loving him at the moment.

our defence was unusually open but i guess that is because we were looking for more openings in the opposition than we have done in previous games but luckily Adrian is in fine form at the moment and was more than a match for the Norwich strike force - even when reduced to one on one.

COle was, as always, utterly hopeless and i'll be looking forward to Carroll's return. in the meantime though Boriello has to start the next game just to give us somebody willing to put a shift in. there was one point we had the ball out wide and Cole was just laid out on the floor after a feeble penalty and didn't get up for a good minute or two which meant it was impossible to put the cross in. pathetic behaviour.

was happy to see Diame nick a goal. he's been disinterested and hopeless for a while now so maybe this will give him a bit more drive to perform for the rest of the season.

top half is good, of course, but the points gap is still far from comfortable. winning these winnable games will go some way to ensuring our safety though.

unpretty and hard fought but an absolutely vital three points. four games unbeaten and three wins on the trot in the top flight for the first time in a number of years. this is more like it.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:22 am

Steely Hill wrote:i think another clean sheet is on the cards and, possibly, another 2-0 win.

8)
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Still not seen the highlights yet but well done to James Collins for scoring his 1st PL goal for 2 years!

It sounds like Mo Diame did well when he came on setting up the opener and clinching the 3 points in injury time.

I hear that one of our famous fans as in Lennox Lewis gave a team talk before the game which was nice of him.

I don't remember the last time we ever won 3 PL games in a row or kept 4 clean sheets on the spin!

Our keeper Adrian is fast becoming my favourite player this season and all the side deserve their break to Dubai.

I agree that Carlton Cole should be dropped for next game as he has offered nothing during Carroll ban and Boriello must start
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Ari1888 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:47 pm

West Ham look more and more like a team staying up. Good result for them.
Ari1888
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Steely Hill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Ari1888 wrote:West Ham look more and more like a team staying up. Good result for them.

a considerable turnaround when you consider the dark days of January and the festive season.

pretty much all of that can be attributed to the injuries to our defence. our upturn in form came just as they returned and resumed their clean sheet collection.

with Carroll now back you can put your money on us staying up i reckon. although there remains plenty of work to be done before we're properly safe.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Return to Barclays Premier League