Arsenal v Liverpool - 16th February

Let us know your thoughts on this years competition! Can anyone break the dominance of the big four?

Moderator: Moderators

Arsenal v Liverpool - 16th February

Postby Hams » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Liverpool recently thrashed Arsenal 5-1 in the PL in their biggest ever win against Gunners.

Arsene Wenger's side play against Bayern Munuch after this game so the manager might not field his strongest team.

Any comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Pickleman1967 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Hard to see Liverpool having quite the same freedom to score at will in this game as they did at Anfield. I think Wenger should field his very strongest side as (lets have it) Arsenal aren't going to win the CL but they do have a chance of winning this cup, so forget Bayern for now.

There is a long way to go in the league campaign, and I don't think there are many Gooners who would re-mortgage the house on Arsenal winning it. So why not go gung-ho for the FA Cup?

Liverpool will come to the Emirates surely feeling good about themselves and their chances. A last gasp winner against the Baggies in the Prem will give them added belief that the football gods are smiling on them this season. If Arsenal can't beat Man United at home right now, surely Liverpool have more than a slim chance against them?

I'm going to say this will go all the way to extra time and penalties. Don't ask me who will win the penalty shoot out, Jesus I'm not a fortune teller!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:44 pm

If this finishes as a draw Pickles there will be replay back at Anfield which I'm sure neither manager wants at this moment.

It looks like Cazorla is out of this one through illness but Flamini is back from his suspension.

Brendan Rodgers could recall Daniel Agger to the back line and drop Kolo Toure but there will be no envolvement from Glen Johnson.

Any more comments or predictions?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby redpelt » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:50 pm

I would fully understand the owners prioritising a Champions League place,but speaking
from a personal perspective, we as fans love this competition,any opportunity to travel
to Wembley in our legions and possibly lift a trophy should not be devalued in any respect.

I think Rodgers will throw out a strong line up ,but I would love to see a few of these
'special talents' we have only caught fleeting glimpses of thrown into the mix.

The likes of Teixeira should be included ,maybe sitting in the Coutinho position and I would
love to see Luis Alberto afforded the opportunity to link the midfield with attack ,as he looks
a classy player ,leave Gerrard playing the DM role,and I think that would give us a good
balance.

I actually try to get up to St Helens and watch as many reserve games as work will allow and
some of the kids coming through are exceptionally talented,not least Teixeira.....So the future
looks more than promising..... One to watch though is Daniel Trickett Smith ,possibly the most
talented young player I have ever seen. I know Carragher and Fowler have touted Jordan Rossiter
as the next Gerrard ,and he is a damn good player with bags of potential ,think Lee Bowyer,but
Trickett Smith is a play maker extraordinaire,and his vision is frankly unbelievable.

I know its a big call ,but everyone inside the club is doing their level best to keep this lads
undoubted talent low key..... its not working ,because this kids name is being spoken about
in every pub in Liverpool with the same excitement and anticipation as a certain Robbie Fowler
was when he was still awaiting his debut....I think the saying is 'watch this space '

1-2 Liverpool ,but nowhere near as easy as our meeting at Anfield ....A fluked goal will win it.
redpelt
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Hams wrote:If this finishes as a draw Pickles there will be replay back at Anfield which I'm sure neither manager wants at this moment.

I don't see it being too much of a headache for Liverpool if it is a replay Hams, they are not involved with the CL and you would fancy them to edge it at Anfield. I agree it would be a ball ache for Arsenal though.
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Stan Kroenke's moustache » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Pickleman1967 wrote:
Hams wrote:If this finishes as a draw Pickles there will be replay back at Anfield which I'm sure neither manager wants at this moment.

I don't see it being too much of a headache for Liverpool if it is a replay Hams, they are not involved with the CL and you would fancy them to edge it at Anfield. I agree it would be a ball ache for Arsenal though.

A draw would indeed be the worst result!

3-1 Arsenal is my prediction, hopefully the players are hungry for revenge.
Stan Kroenke's moustache

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Teams

ARSENAL:
Fabianski; Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Arteta, Flamini; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Podolski; Sanogo

Subs: Viviano, Sagna, Gibbs, Wilshere, Cazorla, Gnabry, Giroud.

LIVERPOOL:

Jones; Flanagan, Skrtel, Agger, Cissokho; Gerrard, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling; Sturridge, Suarez

Subs: Mignolet, Toure, Moses, Henderson, Kelly, Aspas, Teixeira
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Sturridge has missed a couple of great early chances for Liverpool :)
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

The Gunners have taken the lead against the run of play thanks to Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:33 pm

No way should Monreal be on this pitch ,he's getting ripped apart out there!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Gazza-LFC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Hams wrote:Sturridge has missed a couple of great early chances for Liverpool :)

Curse of the commentators comments again..before the game it was mentioned Sturridge would break a record if he scored...the same thing happened when we played Villa when Suarez was on a record and since then Suarez has forgot how to score lol
Gazza-LFC
Legend
Legend

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:59 pm

HT

Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

Oxlaide-Chamberlain.

Both sides had their moments but its Arsenal who lead at the break.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Cracking game of cup football, much better than the tepid affair at Everton.

I don't think the game is over by any means, Rodgers needs to re-think where Suarez is playing, this experiment isn't working for him. In the first 10 minutes Liverpool were awesome, and Arsenal's defence looked alarmingly flat footed. It cannot be denied Liverpool look very dangerous going forward.

Arsenal have done very well to weather the storm, though I think they would need another goal early doors second half to be safe.

An entertaining second half awaits!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:03 pm

By the way,the winners of this will play against Everton at home in the quarter finals!
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Arsenal 2-0 Liverpool

Podolski has buried Chamberlains pass into the back of the net.

The Ox is really having a great game.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Liverpool fans have let off a Red flare in their away section behind the goal and smoke is blowing everywhere.

I thought supporters were meant to be searched before going in?
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Pickleman1967 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Gerrard as cool as a cucumber on the penalty spot, as ever. Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1. Now we have a game!
Pickleman1967
Young Pro
Young Pro

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

The Reds are certainly back in this FA Cup tie now! should be a very interesting last 30 minutes. :)
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Liverpool should have had another penalty but because Suarez dived it wasn't awarded by referee Howard Webb.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Steven Gerrard should have been sent off! He is very lucky boy to still be able to finish this game at the Emirates.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to FA Cup