FA Cup Quarter Finals - 2013/14

Let us know your thoughts on this years competition! Can anyone break the dominance of the big four?

Moderator: Moderators

FA Cup Quarter Finals - 2013/14

Postby Hams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:11 pm

Here is the draw

Arsenal v Everton

Hull City v Sunderland

Sheffield United v Charlton Athletic

Manchester City v Wigan Athletic

Ties to be played on the weekend of 8th/9th March
Hams
Admin
Admin

Location: London Supports West Ham United and Atletico Madrid

Postby Hams » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 am

Sat 08/03/14
Arsenal 12 : 45 Everton
Hull City 15 : 00 Sunderland
Sheffield United 15 : 00 Charlton Athletic

Sun 09/03/14
Manchester City 16 : 00 Wigan Athletic
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby Hams » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Sun 09/03/14
Sheffield United 2 - 0 Charlton Athletic
Hull City 3 - 0 Sunderland
Manchester City 1 - 2 Wigan Athletic

What a win for Wigan! Their defender Emerson Boyce was just outstanding at the back today.

Man City can now no longer do a domestic treble.
Hams
Admin
Admin

Postby specnur » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:19 am

My son said his would be a tough game ,i couldn't see it myself ,but he was right!
I know Wigan beat City in the final last time ,but i just thought City had too many options.
What a match though and testament to how tough our league is throughout!

I think this was a bit of a wake up call for Pelligrini ,on how teams in our league can get up for games like this like no other top league in Europe!
I knew as soon as he took Ya ya off the game was pretty much done ,but i actually don't blame Pelligrini for doing it as Ya ya was showing some frustration and was on a yellow at that. Got to give credit to Nasri who seemed to try to put his team on his back .It seemed both Aguero and Silva were off par ,but Wigan had something to do with that song with the fact they are both coming off of injury.
I'll be honest i really don't like McMananam but he played his ass off in the first half ,along with Boyce !
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Steely Hill » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:52 am

it's results like that which stopped me bothering with betting on football these days. too many coupon busters every week.
Steely Hill
Admin
Admin

Postby Simply » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:05 pm

specnur wrote:What a match though and testament to how tough our league is throughout!

..the exact opposite in my eyes.. I'm laughing my a** off that Manchester City managed to get thrown out by a second division team :lol: .. this just shows me how bad Manchester City is :lol

It reminds me of Bayer Leverkusen, who lost against a second division team (Kaiserslauter) in the german cup too this season... I wouldn't ever take THAT as a testament of how tough a league ist.. it's just embarrassing vor Manchester City.. nothing more
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Simply wrote:
specnur wrote:What a match though and testament to how tough our league is throughout!

..the exact opposite in my eyes.. I'm laughing my a** off that Manchester City managed to get thrown out by a second division team :lol: .. this just shows me how bad Manchester City is :lol

It reminds me of Bayer Leverkusen, who lost against a second division team (Kaiserslauter) in the german cup too this season... I wouldn't ever take THAT as a testament of how tough a league ist.. it's just embarrassing vor Manchester City.. nothing more

That would be ko if teams like Man u (who lost to teams of that level the same year they won the champions league ,Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have all suffered at the hands of lower level opposition. It's was happening when this league put 3 teams in 3 champions league semi finals in a row Simply ,so stop trying to down play it mate.
When was the last time Leverkusen got anywhere near winning the german title? Give me a break ,this type of result doesn't happen anywhere else in the top leagues ,simple as that!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Simply » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:28 pm

.....aaaand you're back in the past again

to remind you.. it's 2014 now.. and we live in times where english teams even struggle to reach a quater finals in the Champions League.. last year no english team made it past the round of the last 16.. and it doesn't look good this season, as no team won their first leg again..
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Simply wrote:.....aaaand you're back in the past again

to remind you.. it's 2014 now.. and we live in times where english teams even struggle to reach a quater finals in the Champions League.. last year no english team made it past the round of the last 16.. and it doesn't look good this season, as no team won their first leg again..

Mate you use Leverkusen as an example of it happening in your league which was pretty weak .I asked you a question which you failed to answer .

I used the premier league at it's most potent time in Europe as an example that it was happening then as it still does now and every year in between. It was for reference sake and nothing more to show the consistency of this type of result happening in our league.

So no, i am not back in the past . You just haven;t found the strength to break out of that bubble you live in pal! :lol:

BY the way ,our weakness in the champions league is directly linked to the very topic of debate ! How competitive our league is and why cup matches in England are like no where else on earth when playing lower league teams!
Our teams have to go through a gauntlet of competition while you lot are on some beach in Spain for two months because it's too cold! Soft! 8)
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Half Way House » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:21 pm

I thought this was a great game & Wigan really deserved their win. In the 1st half they were the better team & it was only after they were 2-0 down that City started to trouble Wigan. Even then Wigan managed to limit City to only a few decent half chances.

Must admit that I am biased as my daughter is a Latics fan & went to this game, when she came home she was buzzing & went to school this morning proudly wearing her Wigan scarf.
Half Way House
Grass Roots
Grass Roots

Postby Simply » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 pm

When was the last time Leverkusen got anywhere near winning the german title?

you mean this question? Well...in 2002 Leverkusen lost the Champions League Final, lost the german cup final and was 1 point short of winning the Bundesliga.. that was pretty close :lol: ..they made a some 2nd places too afterwards, but I don't get why that's so important anyways.. Arsenal haven't won any trophy for some time too..

Give me a break ,this type of result doesn't happen anywhere else in the top leagues ,simple as that!

I recommend you to watch some dfb pokal matches from time to time so you'd notice that it's just the same there... :roll: ..it actually happens every season...

BY the way ,our weakness in the champions league is directly linked to the very topic of debate ! How competitive our league is and why cup matches in England are like no where else on earth when playing lower league teams!
Our teams have to go through a gauntlet of competition while you lot are on some beach in Spain for two months because it's too cold! Soft! Cool

..you put it like this single competition more the Premier League teams have to go through would put so much more pressure on these teams, but the truth is that most of the time they let their bench play in the Fa cup or the league cup.. :roll:
Simply
Youth Academy
Youth Academy

Postby specnur » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Simply wrote:
When was the last time Leverkusen got anywhere near winning the german title?

you mean this question? Well...in 2002 Leverkusen lost the Champions League Final, lost the german cup final and was 1 point short of winning the Bundesliga.. that was pretty close :lol: ..they made a some 2nd places too afterwards, but I don't get why that's so important anyways.. Arsenal haven't won any trophy for some time too..

2002 !Flipping hell mate , i rest my case! This has happened about 30 times since then in our league!
That's what i mean by consistency in the upsets!

Give me a break ,this type of result doesn't happen anywhere else in the top leagues ,simple as that!

I recommend you to watch some dfb pokal matches from time to time so you'd notice that it's just the same there... :roll: ..it actually happens every season...

dfb pokal! You got 3 teams that are in the top 5 in your league standings ffs! and 1 outside of your league in your semi final.
We got Wigan ,Sheffield United and Hull city with Arsenal. That's just tis season.

Our teams have to go through a gauntlet of competition while you lot are on some beach in Spain for two months because it's too cold! Soft! Cool

..you put it like this single competition more the Premier League teams have to go through would put so much more pressure on these teams, but the truth is that most of the time they let their bench play in the Fa cup or the league cup.. :roll:

That's not what i saw in this game between Man city and Wigan mate! I saw there strongest line up out there with the exception of Kompany being out! But that being said Lescott is an an international. You might get a couple of the teams putting out second tier players in the early stages ,but man city don't really have any second tier players. They have squad of international's ,with more probably out on loan!
specnur
Legend
Legend

Postby Seamus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm

No treble for City this year - im just happy about that!.
Seamus

Return to FA Cup